Why is Dookie such a huge success?

Drop Dead Hideous

I know it's one amazing album but how exactly did it haul Green Day into stardom?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Released at the right place and the right time. Kurt Cobain died a few months after Dookie came out so people were looking for music to fill the void left by grunge - green day, the offspring and rancid came along and released breakout albums.

Plus it's awesome.

It's a fucking great album. And it has dogs throwing dookie on the cover art. Can't think of any other reasons really.

Yeah people needed new Nirvana.Plus the singles where awesome and catchy as fuck.

Insomniac is better though :P

Awesome artwork. How can you go to a record store, see that CD and not buy it?

It is an awesome album, but I do have to agree that sometimes I do wonder how it was such a massive success. I mean, there is a lot of filler on there. But I guess right time and right place is very important.

Something new, good and catchy that teenagers could connect with... and being played a lot on the radio!

it had great and successful singles. dookie is probably their only album where the best songs on the album ended up as singles.

Because half of the songs are about boredom, wasting your time and trying to go through life even though you know you're just a lazy fuck. I was born one year after this album was made, but I'm sure back in 1994 this is exactly how all teenagers felt but nobody really sang about it. Imagine, there was no internet and only shit on TV, so all you were able to do was sit around in your room bored as hell, and if you met with friends, all you would do was also just hang out and waste time. Green Day was the first band to really sing about how teenagers felt.

I mean, I'm pretty sure Longview was the first song about sitting alone in your bedroom, being bored as hell and masturbating. It's like the most honest song ever :lol: This is was pretty much all teenagers did back then - now that we have the internet, we have basically infinite free entertainment, but boredom was one of the big things teenagers had in the 90s.

Also what others already said, grunge was dead together with Kurt Cobain, so there was literally a void in rock music. Green Day was just the flagship band of the second punk rock wave which was the next big thing. Pop punk was such a new thing - it was fun, fast, didn't take itself very seriously but still kicked ass. A compelete 180° to grunge, which was angry, dirty, grey and melancholy. (I have nothing against grunge, that's just what it is :P)

And Dookie is still considered one of the best albums of the last 20 years because it's just a damn good album. It's universal. The songs are about not wanting to grow up, but still standing in line to walk amongst the dead. Wanting to go on a killing spree just because people annoy you. Hating someone with no reason. Sitting alone in your room masturbating out of boredom. Moving out of your parents' house and feeling real freedom for the first time. Being in love. Having anxiety attacks because everything is too much. Wanting to break free out of a world that seems to be planned out for you. Acknowledging you're a just a waste, but still looking for someone who you can be a waste together with. Leaving people. Coming back and seeing that your friends have changed. Questioning your sexuality. Hating your ex. Telling people to fuck off and die. Breaking in your crush's room and masturbating there all by yourself..... Wait scratch the last part. :lol:

Seriously, Dookie is basically "Teenage Years - The Album". Every teenager in the world can relate to the songs on that album, so it's a classic.

Also Basket Case.

well for several reason...it's really a good album with good music, then green day were a new band for the mainstream world, they were young with so much energy and they were not scared and this was something really new expecially for Mtv...this's what i think

It had one of the most recognizable punk song of all time, Basket case. Plus it was rare to see a punk rock band that doesn't sings about teenage angst. Most of Dookie's songs are about having fun and masturbation.

Because Dookie is the shit :toocool:

Yeah people needed new Nirvana.Plus the singles where awesome and catchy as fuck.

Insomniac is better though :P

No, fool.

Because Dookie is the shit :toocool:

No, fool.

Well, I agree with him :lol:

I don't know what exactly makes Dookie a success. But promotion must be really great in these times. High rotation videos. MTV played a lot of music in that time. People will like almost anything that they see on TV.

because it's a great album and Green Day played pretty many shows.. Woodstock helped ALOT too, and MTV of course

It's been said about a million times already, but it's a great record. Green Day themselves also heavily promoted it by going on MTV and playing show after show. It was also some of the first really good music to be released in a while and people were craving a good sound and well written music.

It's an album you can relate to and 'cause unfortunately Kurt Cobain had died during that period, Dookie made up for it.

So, Liquid Dookie FTW. :banana:

My most favorite album, btw. :wub:

And also, MTV used to be a great channel. Sadly, it's dead now.

Awesome artwork and some goddamn amazing songs :) I personally find it a bit overrated, I don't see it any better than Insomniac or Warning, but its sales definitely prove me wrong :lol:

Archived