Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Voting has started in the Karaoke Contest. Listen to the entries and vote for your favorite.

Photo

The Descendents

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Cob

Cob
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,018 posts
  • Joined Oct 05, 2012
  • 2,586 rep

I read on another topic that there wasn't a thread for these guys, so I took the liberty to create one. So yeah, one of the greatest and most revolutionary punk bands of all time, obviously. 

My favorite album will always be Milo Goes to College, I cannot get over how fucking good this record is. It's completely changed my perspective on punk rock and melodic pop punk, these guys are the true Godfathers along with Bad Religion and Green Day. They've also greatly influenced the way I approach my own song writing and band practice, so I owe them a great deal, musically. 

Some of my favorite songs: 

I also read that they're touring in Australia with the Bouncing Souls soon. I cannot express how much I envy the Aussies right now! 

• November's Storms, Céadóg and Radio Victim like this

Angelfuck.

Angelfuck.
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Joined Aug 28, 2012
  • 40 rep

I concur. Milo Goes to College is one of my favorite punk albums, it's so great. I like All, too.

• Cob likes this

Guest_RedStrokes_*

Guest_RedStrokes_*
  • Joined --
  • 0 rep

I read on another topic that there wasn't a thread for these guys, so I took the liberty to create one. So yeah, one of the greatest and most revolutionary punk bands of all time, obviously. 

My favorite album will always be Milo Goes to College, I cannot get over how fucking good this record is. It's completely changed my perspective on punk rock and melodic pop punk, these guys are the true Godfathers along with Bad Religion and Green Day. They've also greatly influenced the way I approach my own song writing and band practice, so I owe them a great deal, musically. 

Some of my favorite songs: 

I also read that they're touring in Australia with the Bouncing Souls soon. I cannot express how much I envy the Aussies right now! 

Amen dammit. Well said. I also love the descendents. Glad they have a page now. Milo goes to college is also my favorite album of theirs, and one of my all time favorite albums. Some of my favorite songs are: Catalina, sour grapes, jean is dead, kids, hope, parents, ah fuck I'm going to just keep going until I list them all. I LOVE THE DESCENDENTS

Cob

Cob
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 3,018 posts
  • Joined Oct 05, 2012
  • 2,586 rep
Amen dammit. Well said. I also love the descendents. Glad they have a page now. Milo goes to college is also my favorite album of theirs, and one of my all time favorite albums. Some of my favorite songs are: Catalina, sour grapes, jean is dead, kids, hope, parents, ah fuck I'm going to just keep going until I list them all. I LOVE THE DESCENDENTS

Jean is Dead is incredible. I think it's funny that the first part of Milo is so hardcore and then the second half 180's into melodic territory. It's such a good album. 

Guest_RedStrokes_*

Guest_RedStrokes_*
  • Joined --
  • 0 rep

Jean is Dead is incredible. I think it's funny that the first part of Milo is so hardcore and then the second half 180's into melodic territory. It's such a good album. 

I always wondered if they did that on purpose? Ha I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that. But yeah jean is dead, I just love the lyrics, "wake up early mad at you, go to school where are you?" "You should've told me I should've known, now you're gone I'm alone"

I love how almost selfish but loving the lyrics are.
  • Cob likes this

Cob

Cob
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 3,018 posts
  • Joined Oct 05, 2012
  • 2,586 rep
I always wondered if they did that on purpose? Ha I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that. But yeah jean is dead, I just love the lyrics, "wake up early mad at you, go to school where are you?" "You should've told me I should've known, now you're gone I'm alone" I love how almost selfish but loving the lyrics are.

I love that too! Like the lyrics of Hope, they're spiteful but sweet and longing at the same time. They mince no words or feelings, whats more thank punk rock than saying what's really on your mind? 

themissingxkid

themissingxkid
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Joined May 08, 2009
  • 177 rep

Whoa. This is refreshing to me, I've always heard of this band but never bothered to listen. I'm more of an Indie Rock guy now and this is kicking me in my Punk Rock mood. Haha.

Cob

Cob
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 3,018 posts
  • Joined Oct 05, 2012
  • 2,586 rep
Whoa. This is refreshing to me, I've always heard of this band but never bothered to listen. I'm more of an Indie Rock guy now and this is kicking me in my Punk Rock mood. Haha.

Listen to them. It's good for your health. 

• themissingxkid and Radio Victim like this

Pop Punk Princess

Pop Punk Princess
  • Pop Punk Princess

• 3,231 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2007
  • 96 rep

I'm shocked that there wasn't already a thread for these guys... I mean... Really?

I haven't listened to them in probably almost a year. I tend to forget how good they are.

Cob

Cob
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 3,018 posts
  • Joined Oct 05, 2012
  • 2,586 rep
I'm shocked that there wasn't already a thread for these guys... I mean... Really?

I haven't listened to them in probably almost a year. I tend to forget how good they are.

WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH YOUR LIFE!?!

But I kid,  I'm on a massive Descendents kick lately. 

Radio Victim

Radio Victim
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Joined Oct 23, 2012
  • 245 rep

I actually listened to Milo Goes to College a few months ago because i was always seeing The Descenedents everywhere I looked for good punk rock so i was bored at school and decided to get on Rdio and try them out and oh my god, i couldn't believe i didnt start listening to them when i first got into punk a few years ago! I had to buy it after that and i also got to get another CD with it and went with ...And Out Come The Wolves  because i listened too it a few months before MGTC and it made me such a happy person! But yeah they are truly an iconic punk band and from interviews and their personal lives before the band, they seem like really relatable guys and don't hold back on anything (like in Marriage when he comes right out and says "I wanna have sex with you!") I still need to listen to more of their discography, i loved Everything Sux and Silly Girl but i need to hear some more full albums of theirs, although i think MGTC is probably their best, but thats prematurely speaking!

I was also really sad when i found out that Frank Navetta had died recently :ermm:

Edited by Radio Victim, 15 January 2013 - 01:36 PM.

Guest_RedStrokes_*

Guest_RedStrokes_*
  • Joined --
  • 0 rep

I actually listened to Milo Goes to College a few months ago because i was always seeing The Descenedents everywhere I looked for good punk rock so i was bored at school and decided to get on Rdio and try them out and oh my god, i couldn't believe i didnt start listening to them when i first got into punk a few years ago! I had to buy it after that and i also got to get another CD with it and went with ...And Out Come The Wolves  because i listened too it a few months before MGTC and it made such a happy person! But yeah they are truly an iconic punk band and from interviews and their personal lives before the band, they seem like really relateable guys and don't hold back on anything (like in Marriage when he comes right out and says "I wanna have sex with you!") I still need to listen to more of their discography, i loved Everything Sux and Silly Girl but i need to hear some more full albums of theirs, although i think MGTC is probably their best, but thats prematurely speaking!
I was also really sad when i found out that Frank Navetta had died recently :ermm:

Yeah marriage is a damn good song, but the line is "I don't wanna have sex with you," that's another damn honest song, I love it when milo sings " I don't wanna have sex with you, I wanna be your friend, I want you to be with me," it's honest, open, but pissed and unlustful at the same time.
  • Radio Victim likes this

Radio Victim

Radio Victim
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Joined Oct 23, 2012
  • 245 rep
Yeah marriage is a damn good song, but the line is "I don't wanna have sex with you," that's another damn honest song, I love it when milo sings " I don't wanna have sex with you, I wanna be your friend, I want you to be with me," it's honest, open, but pissed and unlustful at the same time.

oh he says he DOESN'T?!?! I didn't know that, the only complaint that i had with the CD was that all it had was a slip with the album art and printed signatures from the band, no lyrics.. that still does not deem it as a stupid buy because it sure as hell wasn't! but yeah, straight up honesty, I LOVE IT!!!

Cob

Cob
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 3,018 posts
  • Joined Oct 05, 2012
  • 2,586 rep

This. The whole "I love you more than just for sex." So relatable to me, so honest. God I love these guys. 

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,810 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 20,372 rep

I've only started listening to them in the past few weeks. Every single song I've heard so far is an absolute banger. Great stuff.

Advertising

Cob

Cob
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 3,018 posts
  • Joined Oct 05, 2012
  • 2,586 rep
I've only started listening to them in the past few weeks. Every single song I've heard so far is an absolute banger. Great stuff.

This is a problem. 

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,810 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 20,372 rep
This is a problem. 

I'm working hard to fix it.

• Cob likes this

Cob

Cob
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 3,018 posts
  • Joined Oct 05, 2012
  • 2,586 rep

Just thought I'd share this desktop background I found online. I'm pretty fond of it. 

http://s1337.beta.ph...81a4b2.png.html

Guest_DisapppearingBoy_*

Guest_DisapppearingBoy_*
  • Joined --
  • 0 rep
http://filtermagazin...cendents_cover/ free download. :)

Radio Victim

Radio Victim
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Joined Oct 23, 2012
  • 245 rep
http://filtermagazin...cendents_cover/ free download. :)

this is amazing!!!

Cob

Cob
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 3,018 posts
  • Joined Oct 05, 2012
  • 2,586 rep

I wish I was in Australia right now to see them play with the Souls. Damn. 

Gwen Stacy

Gwen Stacy
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts
  • Joined Jun 20, 2010
  • 960 rep

Milo Goes To College is the shit. Amazing album. Bought it on vinyl when I was in Australia and I will always see it as the epitome of 80's punk.

• Cob likes this

Cob

Cob
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 3,018 posts
  • Joined Oct 05, 2012
  • 2,586 rep

The commandments of "ALL" as presented by the Bouncing Souls. 

534813_10152548955585344_1868771742_n_zp

murdercitykid

murdercitykid
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Joined Jun 12, 2010
  • 30 rep

Fucking brilliant group! I think Enjoy! is my favourite record. 

frunsi

frunsi
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Joined Feb 06, 2012
  • 349 rep

i love milo goes to college, everything sucks and cool to be you. the other albums aren't as great imo, but they still have some great songs (schizophrenia is probably one of the best experimental punk songs ever)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users