Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
- You have less than a day left to submit your entry for the Karaoke Contest! Entries are due November 21st at 6:59PM Eastern Time (23:59 GMT).
- Green Day Chat & Green Day News subforums have been merged

Photo

Music and Politics (Just a quick question for you guys)

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Seanybadger

Seanybadger
  • Welcome to Paradise

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Joined Jan 14, 2013
  • 0 rep

Hi there, 

I was wondering if anyone on here could possibly answer a question for my university studies? 

My dissertation is based on the Effect of music in politics:Post 9/11. Quick e.g. Green Day's American Idiot album. 
Right, here's the question : 
Does music play a role in todays society (post 2001), with regards to political views and opinion? Can music influence people to change their views (or gain views with the younger generation. 

Any examples grateful! And feel free to go long with answers. It's all good for my research.

Maddy.

Maddy.
  • this love is glowing in the dark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,022 posts
  • Joined Jun 15, 2009
  • 7,609 rep

afroman's because i got high changed my life

• Penguin Puffball, fiercecircus, Céadóg and 1 other like this

Guest_As Good As It Gets_*

• Joined --
  • 0 rep

Yes

Music has always helped to influence people on everything

The Rolling Stones changed attitudes about sex

The Beatles changed attitudes about drugs

Bob Dylan changed attitudes about politics

It always has and always will, until the world stops spinning

Maddy.

Maddy.

• 27,022 posts
  • Joined Jun 15, 2009
  • 7,609 rep

yeah but is that because the musicians were open about their views or because the music was about these issues?

• Joined --
  • 0 rep

Both

You can't really have one without the other

Nemo.

Nemo.
  • Droggelbecher <3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,276 posts
  • Joined Jul 08, 2011
  • 1,996 rep

For sure Music can change the political view of someone because Music and especially the music you like influneces you, your life and your opinion about subjects. Music and the lyrics make you think about political issues and maybe they change your mind. In my case I started listening to GD and the lyrics of AI made me think about politics. I don't live in America but the situation which is described in the song can be transferred to Germany as well. So I started thinking and I made my own opinion which is definitely important.

Guest_RedStrokes_*

Guest_RedStrokes_*
  • Joined --
  • 0 rep
Well of course

Music is apart of the media and the media is extremely influential on everything we do. Especially on young people and morons.

For example say a lil Wayne song came on the radio and this song was about dope and living free, and the mass enjoyment the writer receives from living this way. 11 year old kid hears it, thinks its catchy, but then hears the lyrics clearer, subconsciously it registers in the kids mind that dope isn't that bad. I mean if a billionaire like lil Wayne can smoke it, write lyrics about,and get rich, why the hell not?

Next time the kid gets offered a joint do you think he's goin say no?

Anyway sorry for goin off topic but it was the only example I had to offer. It's pretty much the same with politics

Edited by GreenStrokes, 14 January 2013 - 12:49 PM.

• Seanybadger likes this

November's Storms

November's Storms
  • Welcome to Paradise

• 10,706 posts
  • Joined Feb 09, 2010
  • 4,507 rep

I won't be giving a detailed, university-standard answer here but speaking personally I would say yes music has played a vital role in the formation of who I am and what I believe in. American Idiot (the album) got me thinking about politics and about social issues, and led me to other bands such as Rise Against, Rage Against the Machine, Black Flag etc.

On the flip side I would imagine a lot of modern pop music (which I think is primarily about love, sex, partying and ego) has turned people away from political and social issues and has helped strengthen the developed world idea that consumerism is the most important thing.

Maddy.

Maddy.

• 27,022 posts
  • Joined Jun 15, 2009
  • 7,609 rep

I think the main reason that american idiot was formative for me was being on this forum and reading all the interesting interpretations of the album and then breakdown came out and the interpreters had a field day and because i was like 13 i was an idiot and reading everyone's opinions and discussions was really enlightening because i'd never have thought of that myself. and now i listen back to the music that was so formative, i notice it for myself and i get this overwhelming feeling of omfg i fucking love this band and everything they stand for.

i think it's important to have something like an american idiot album that's life changing in the sense that it changes the way you think about the world during your most formative and impressionable years. and i think green day was that thing for me. it introduced me to foreign politics and different viewpoints of it because when you're 13 and from holland the most you usually know about america is that it's big and movies. at least that was me before the internet. so that exposure came from the music i listened to that led me to this forum and you start thinking for yourself more, which is what green day advocates and that's really important i think. to have this external factor that forces you to stop and think and not take everything for granted and basically everyone goes through a punk phase idk don't read this

desecrator09

desecrator09
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Joined Sep 13, 2012
  • 158 rep

Before getting into punk I didnt give a shit about politics and if I did I usually leaned Republican cuz my parents are but now I stand against everything that they stand for. Having said that, I'm not in favor of a two party system cuz it just divides people and causes people to hate each other's guts for the most part. We all need to find common ground before we save this country from going down the shitter.

• AmericanIdiot27 likes this

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 17,795 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 20,347 rep
I won't be giving a detailed, university-standard answer here but speaking personally I would say yes music has played a vital role in the formation of who I am and what I believe in. American Idiot (the album) got me thinking about politics and about social issues, and led me to other bands such as Rise Against, Rage Against the Machine, Black Flag etc.

On the flip side I would imagine a lot of modern pop music (which I think is primarily about love, sex, partying and ego) has turned people away from political and social issues and has helped strengthen the developed world idea that consumerism is the most important thing.

I was going to post something very similar to this. Albums like American Idiot and RATM's self titled without a doubt changed my views on politics forever. Pop music is very agressively anti politics today, it's a real shame.

Gregorovich

Gregorovich
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • Joined Oct 20, 2012
  • 482 rep

I never got interested in politics, mainly because here in the UK policies differ according to competition rather than fundamental political belief. Yes, music is massively influential (for a certain select section of the general public), but only really in places like America, where the political system is a genuine clusterfuck and needs to be reformed. So yes, music is indeed a large factor, but only to the minority of society who both live in a country in political trouble and listen to that kind of music.

November's Storms

November's Storms
  • Welcome to Paradise

• 10,706 posts
  • Joined Feb 09, 2010
  • 4,507 rep
I never got interested in politics, mainly because here in the UK policies differ according to competition rather than fundamental political belief.

What do you mean by that? In the UK there is a pretty obvious left/right divide. Labour and the Lib Dems (actually not so much them) have distinctly different views to those of the Tories and parties like UKIP. Sure there is competition for votes but there are many different fundamental political beliefs! Why do you think Ed Miliband is called "Red Ed"?

In Ireland we have no typical left/right divide. The 2 main parties in Ireland are both centre right and very similar!

• Céadóg likes this

Gregorovich

Gregorovich
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • Joined Oct 20, 2012
  • 482 rep
What do you mean by that? In the UK there is a pretty obvious left/right divide. Labour and the Lib Dems (actually not so much them) have distinctly different views to those of the Tories and parties like UKIP. Sure there is competition for votes but there are many different fundamental political beliefs! Why do you think Ed Miliband is called "Red Ed"?

In Ireland we have no typical left/right divide. The 2 main parties in Ireland are both centre right and very similar!

Believe me, the differences between Labour and Conservative mostly stem from the fact that, being opposing parties, they are required to have differences.  The British parties have been ideologically converging for the last few decades. And 'Red Ed' is a joke about how there's really not that much difference in the parties' ideology.

November's Storms

November's Storms
  • Welcome to Paradise

• 10,706 posts
  • Joined Feb 09, 2010
  • 4,507 rep
Believe me, the differences between Labour and Conservative mostly stem from the fact that, being opposing parties, they are required to have differences.  The British parties have been ideologically converging for the last few decades. And 'Red Ed' is a joke about how there's really not that much difference in the parties' ideology.

And you use that as an excuse to not be interested in politics? I know we're getting off topic here but the reason the Tories can get away with being so forceful with cutbacks is that most people just don't give a fuck. Not just in Britain, it's a problem here and in most developed countries. As Ralph Nader said "if you aren't turned on to politics, politics will turn on you."

• Céadóg likes this

Advertising

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 17,795 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 20,347 rep
The 2 main parties in Ireland are both centre right and very similar!

3 these days :P

JIGD13

JIGD13
  • I Turned into a Martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,788 posts
  • Joined Jul 02, 2012
  • 2,602 rep

I think a good example of it is Green Day's American Idiot, it showed society that the music is not always about personal things but also that it can be a way to people think good about what the United States were at that moment, so, yes the music can play a role on the politics but it's something that just some musicians have done!

Gregorovich

Gregorovich
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • Joined Oct 20, 2012
  • 482 rep

And you use that as an excuse to not be interested in politics? I know we're getting off topic here but the reason the Tories can get away with being so forceful with cutbacks is that most people just don't give a fuck. Not just in Britain, it's a problem here and in most developed countries. As Ralph Nader said "if you aren't turned on to politics, politics will turn on you."

So everybody has to be interested in politics? I chose not to become interested because there is so much more I'd prefer concerning myself with. And our political system isn't dangerously unstable. There are plenty of people who have chosen to do the same. Politics, current events, sport, literature, music, art, etc. all change the way we live our lives, should we choose to take interest in them or not. Don't blame somebody for not caring about one of them.

Penguin Puffball

Penguin Puffball
  • Mary Poopins

• 20,078 posts
  • Joined Jun 08, 2009
  • 3,641 rep

First off, dissertation is for a doctorate, correct? Congrats and good luck on it!

Second, I believe music does have an influence. My first Green Day album I listened to was American Idiot (I know, n00b fan) and once I started listening to them I started questioning America and the world around me. I became much more active in politics and much more informed, and because of the political base of some of the music I listen to, I've become more informed.

PigSniffingGlue

PigSniffingGlue
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts
  • Joined Oct 19, 2011
  • 2,301 rep

It definitely has an influence. Listening to Green day made me think much more about various topics, including politics. I really like this quote of Billie:
"We're not a political band. We don't want to tell people what to do or what to think. We just want to tell them to think"

I think this is very true, and I wouldn't want to be as politically active if I wouldn't have got to know their music (not that I'm greatly active or a huge politics fan, but I've formed opinions and learned many things, just because I got interested and wanted to understand what's going on in my country and the world)

So to me it's obvious that people can get politically influenced (or influenced in any other aspect) from music, and artists should express themselves about those topics as long as they aren't ful of shit about it and are not trying to preach.

Giov

Giov
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  • Joined Aug 29, 2012
  • 587 rep

Music can influence people's political view mainly because it's immediate. It can draw attention to particular issues and encourages people to learn more about them.
Probably people would have learned about the same issues reading a book or watching a tv program, but those kind of books and tv shows are often addressed to a specific audience already interested on those matters. On the other hand, anyone can turn on the radio, hear a random song about politics or social issues,  become interested in those problems and then learn more about them.

Since American Idiot has already been mentioned, I'll try to make another example: there's a famous Italian song that denounces the compliance between State and mafia, and this line 

"And what does the State do? It's sorrowful, indignant, does its best, then throws in the towel with dignity"

perfectly describes politicians attitude towards the whole mafia thing. At first I didn't really get what the songwriter was trying to say, then I payed attention to the way politicians deal with such a problem: officially they condemn it but at the same time they don't really do anything to effectively stop mafia affiliates' activities, they seem to consider it a secondary problem of this country.

In short it basically encouraged me to be more critical, to not trust everything politicians say and to be more informed on the matter.

• PigSniffingGlue likes this

• Joined --
  • 0 rep

Spot on. Well done for making this post, way more people need to have a basic interest in politics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users