Any one here disappointed with the newer albums?

Guest As Good As It Gets

So does International Superhits. That doesn't mean it's an adequate replacement for those 4 albums.

This is very true. "Disappointment" is an interesting thing because it's weighted just as heavily on what your personal expectations are as it is on what the band produces.

Exactly!

The higher your hopes, the mosre disappointment you will suffer, I mean for the trilogy, I was excited (obviously :P) but I din't have expectations as high as AI so and so forth, i was happy with the trilogy and that's all that matter really :)

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So does International Superhits. That doesn't mean it's an adequate replacement for those 4 albums.

Fair enough.

I do still think that the problem with these albums lies not in the songwriting but the production. Lyrics are mostly up to par with what we would expect, and they're composed fine as well. The effects on Billie's voice just take so much away from the songs - they're going for a back to the basics sound but the polished effects make it come off rather lame at points. I still love a lot of the trilogy though

Guest FuckerFrankerZ

Well it depends on how you see green day in my opinion the new albums are kind of like there old stuff witch would be great I love all of there songs they did great with the albums but about this so called new guy in there band I'm sorry but I only consider green day as in Billie,Mike,And Tre(<3) and yeah we'll I was in kindergarten when American idiot came out so yeah I love just about everything about them no matter what they do in my opinion though dookie is the best of all album it will stay like that well I mean I love about every album but I love dookie a bit more :D

Well it depends on how you see green day in my opinion the new albums are kind of like there old stuff witch would be great I love all of there songs they did great with the albums but about this so called new guy in there band I'm sorry but I only consider green day as in Billie,Mike,And Tre(<3) and yeah we'll I was in kindergarten when American idiot came out so yeah I love just about everything about them no matter what they do in my opinion though dookie is the best of all album it will stay like that well I mean I love about every album but I love dookie a bit more :D

Jason is a member it's no big deal he's been there since 99

When I first heard 'Oh Love,' I was so disappointed and I couldn't listen to it for a while. But when I saw them play it live for the Reading Festival, the song changed for me. Just seeing them with all that energy made the song so much better. Uno, in general, I really didn't care for, but it's one of the albums you have to listen to, not just the music, but realize what influences they took to make it and appreciate it for the ever changing nature of Green Day.

Once the other 2 albums came out, I loved them instantly. Tre, being my absolute favorite. The only song I've only heard a couple of times and really don't like is Nightlife. I hate the way Lady Cobra sings. It's like walking into a shitty dance club and wanting nothing more than to beat everybody in there grinding on each other to Nikki Minaj or some shit.

I think the newer albums are great! They're no American Idiot, but I sill really like them. I do kind of wish they'd try to go back and capture that magic of American Idiot again, though. That album is just perfect in so many ways. I think it reflects Green Day at the peak of their musical ability, or the peak of what's come from them so far.

The problem is people keep thinking Green Day are going to release another Dookie or American Idiot.. it's not going to happen.

Most bands are lucky to have one big epic fucking album, Green Day have TWO (so far, who knows what might happen in the future..)

Dookie and American Idiot launched and re-launched Green Day into the mainstream again.

With Uno, Dos and Tre it's more like they're sorta on the down-low, they're not big epic albums and they don't need to be.. they're for the fans mostly. You either like them or you don't. Just because the albums aren't Dookie or whatever doesn't mean people have to keep bashing them.

(But I will say this, I think the trilogy was unnecessary. I would've been happy with one album with all the best tracks from each of the albums. I feel there is some filler tracks that weren't needed. I would've been happy if they released a B-Side album like what they done with Shenanigans, that's just my opinion though :ermm:)

I really think this just comes down to the expectations everyone had. For some reason, people have it in their head that this group can write 18 tracks masterpieces every 2-3 years, and anything less than that just isn't good enough. Outside of concept, I don't see this trilogy as American Idiots inferior brother, more as an equal. This whole thing really confuses me, when fans put certain albums on a pedestal and praise them. I mean, I get really loving one more than the other, but I don't consider AI or 21st THAT much better than the rest of their discography, they're just "epic". That's it for me, "epic" and then they are just 2 more albums from this group. WHat I feel most are dissapointed about is that these aren't epic, so they lack that feeling that AI and 21st may have sparked in some.

On the Dookie matter, I really don't think it places in my top 5 favorite albums, counting the trilogy as one. It's so overhyped amongst fans, haters, and critics. I think it's a good album, but not one of their best at all. Just me though, sitting in the minority XD

Fair enough.

I do still think that the problem with these albums lies not in the songwriting but the production. Lyrics are mostly up to par with what we would expect, and they're composed fine as well. The effects on Billie's voice just take so much away from the songs - they're going for a back to the basics sound but the polished effects make it come off rather lame at points. I still love a lot of the trilogy though

I do understand the complaints about Billie's voice on some of the songs (for some tracks, I think it works well; others, it seems to take away from), though I have seriously heard way WAY worse jobs done on albums before. However, I do love the production on the instruments and the new guitar sound they went for, which I know not everyone does.

I

On the Dookie matter, I really don't think it places in my top 5 favorite albums, counting the trilogy as one. It's so overhyped amongst fans, haters, and critics. I think it's a good album, but not one of their best at all. Just me though, sitting in the minority XD

I agree with you :ninja:

honestly I just think I was expecting way too much. I like it, but it didn't hit my expectations at all.

Guest As Good As It Gets

I'd rather they release good music though, not filler

They're a far more genuine band than the vast majority of bands around today

And I'd hate for them to lose it now, but 21CB and the trilogy were, in my eyes, mediocre

21CB has some strong songs, but I don't like the lyrics, and some songs are weak

Trilogy went a bit further down, and it's hard to find songs I do like off it

I wouldn't ever say that I'm disappointed in the trilogy. I truly appreciate every album that Green Day has given us, because they each have something uniquely appealing. I see the argument a lot that people wish the trilogy would have been condensed into one album. The funny thing about that argument, to me, is that every time an album is released, people come on this very board and fret about whether or not we'll see any b-sides released with singles. Look at it this way, you have 37 songs instead of 12 or 13. While not every fan is going to appreciate every song, it certainly gives more people a chance to find 12 or 13 songs (at least) that they can identify/be content with; and of course there's a bonus for people like me who like all 37 songs that have come from the trilogy.

and of course there's a bonus for people like me who like all 37 songs that have come from the trilogy.

I'm sorry, but I find it hard to believe anyone likes EVERY song from the trilogy. It's hard to find someone who likes every song on a single album, let alone three.There's got to be at least one you're not fond of :lol:

I'm sorry, but I find it hard to believe anyone likes EVERY song from the trilogy. It's hard to find someone who likes every song on a single album, let alone three.There's got to be at least one you're not fond of :lol:

Nope, plenty of people like every song on the trilogy, including me.

Nope, plenty of people like every song on the trilogy, including me.

As do I! The only "eh" tracks are Oh Love and Nightlife, I just don't know why. Well, in the context of the album, they move good. But on their own/on shuffle, I don't like em as much as the others.

I'd rather they release good music though, not filler

They're a far more genuine band than the vast majority of bands around today

And I'd hate for them to lose it now, but 21CB and the trilogy were, in my eyes, mediocre

21CB has some strong songs, but I don't like the lyrics, and some songs are weak

Trilogy went a bit further down, and it's hard to find songs I do like off it

If your user name and picture weren't so good I'd get frustrated! ;)

I don't feel that 21st or the trilogy are mediocre at all. Now, on the lyrical note, I can give you the win for the trilogy, as some lines hit me as genius, while the next line in the same song falls flat. Granted I've been listening to a lot of The Killers lately and Brandon is a lyrical madman, no one has lines as good as Brandon!

Honestly, I would have almost agreed with you a few weeks ago. But as I told someone else, it really helps to sit down and listen to all of the bands discography. I went from 1039 to Tre, and that really helped clear my head on this trilogy.

Yeah pretty disappointed, thought the whole thing was shit to be honest, worst thing they've done. I can only make about a 5 song EP that is good out of the whole thing.

X-Kid and Nuclear Family are awesome songs, that's about it.

I think that Green Day's previous albums were a lot more...how shall I say this..'punk'. The trilogy songs to me sound very poppy and I think that most would categorize them as pop-rock, or possibly pop-punk. Well, they've already been making pop-punk music, so why don't I say pop-pop-punk. It really is a bug jump from what they've previously done, and although many people are saying it sounds like Dookie, I'm afraid I just don't hear the resemblance. Most people have come to love older Green Day, so the new trilogy songs don't hold much appeal, or as least as much.

In my opinion I think the trilogy was good. Not great, just good. The fact that it wasn't anything mind-blowing, which I've come to expect from Green Day, is a bit of a disapointment :ermm:

I guess I can understand your surprise, but there isn't even a Green Day song in all of existence that I don't care for. Sure I like some songs less than others, but there isn't one that I dislike. I'm sure everyone is assuming I'm lying about Nightlife, but that is in fact one of my jams. What can I say? :D

I guess I can understand your surprise, but there isn't even a Green Day song in all of existence that I dont' care for. Sure I like some songs less than others, but there isn't one that I dislike. I'm sure everyone is assuming I'm lying about Nightlife, but that is in fact one of my jams. What can I say? :D

Nightlife is one of my favorites too. I love playing it when I'm out driving with friends at night, its just got this awesome groove.

By the way, sweet guitar.

Guest As Good As It Gets
If your user name and picture weren't so good I'd get frustrated! ;)

I don't feel that 21st or the trilogy are mediocre at all. Now, on the lyrical note, I can give you the win for the trilogy, as some lines hit me as genius, while the next line in the same song falls flat. Granted I've been listening to a lot of The Killers lately and Brandon is a lyrical madman, no one has lines as good as Brandon!

Honestly, I would have almost agreed with you a few weeks ago. But as I told someone else, it really helps to sit down and listen to all of the bands discography. I went from 1039 to Tre, and that really helped clear my head on this trilogy.

You're not the first - I frustrate myself more times than I care to count haha

That's a good shout with the discography point - my own musical tastes have changed in quite an extraordinary way since I first heard American Idiot, and it has been a long time (I'd say a good 3-4 years) since I last sat down and had a good listen to each Green Day album back to back (I still own them all on CD apart from the new ones, though I did buy 21CB)

So I'm more than happy to acknowledge my own personal changes in life - I was a very angsty kid back when American Idiot hit, and nowadays I'm more like a couch potato (well, maybe not completely, but more stable, shall we say)

Thanks for the post - keeps me grounded and allows me to reflect

Nightlife is one of my favorites too. I love playing it when I'm out driving with friends at night, its just got this awesome groove.

By the way, sweet guitar.

Yes, someone understands! haha It has a great groove. That bass line is the shit.

And thank you! I was saving up for a new guitar anyway, so when they went on sale I had to get one.

You're not the first - I frustrate myself more times than I care to count haha

That's a good shout with the discography point - my own musical tastes have changed in quite an extraordinary way since I first heard American Idiot, and it has been a long time (I'd say a good 3-4 years) since I last sat down and had a good listen to each Green Day album back to back (I still own them all on CD apart from the new ones, though I did buy 21CB)

So I'm more than happy to acknowledge my own personal changes in life - I was a very angsty kid back when American Idiot hit, and nowadays I'm more like a couch potato (well, maybe not completely, but more stable, shall we say)

Thanks for the post - keeps me grounded and allows me to reflect

I'm only 19 and can say with ease how much my life has changed since I first heard American Idiot. It's odd that at the time, it was the first CD I really knew and loved, I knew every word yet I didn't actually own it! I was about 10 I guess? Man that has been a while.

Really though, as much as I love Green Day, it's time consuming as hell to sit through all of their discography at once. I had to take a break around Nimrod/Warning to eat and clear my head. It really let me focus in on what it is I like about this group. When I was probably around 13 I learned how to download music and started to get the rest of their discography, not knowing there was so much more before Warning and American Idiot. I don't remember getting to know the rest of their music until the B-Sides, and my mind was blown. In short, I've grown up with this group just as much as they've grown with their fans. It's entirely too interesting for me to remember how I felt about all of their music when I was 14, 15, 16, and even 17 years old, constantly changing. A lot has changed for me in this past year alone, mainly leaving behind my former friends/band mates and moving to a big new city with my fiance. I owe a huge amount of my love for the trilogy on those circumstances, as the last thing I needed was another really epic album to come my way. Three records of just fun really goes a long way when needed.

I think that Green Day's previous albums were a lot more...how shall I say this..'punk'. The trilogy songs to me sound very poppy and I think that most would categorize them as pop-rock, or possibly pop-punk. Well, they've already been making pop-punk music, so why don't I say pop-pop-punk. It really is a bug jump from what they've previously done, and although many people are saying it sounds like Dookie, I'm afraid I just don't hear the resemblance. Most people have come to love older Green Day, so the new trilogy songs don't hold much appeal, or as least as much.

In my opinion I think the trilogy was good. Not great, just good. The fact that it wasn't anything mind-blowing, which I've come to expect from Green Day, is a bit of a disapointment :ermm:

The band used the term "powerpop" when describing Uno. Don't know if that helps you with descriptors any.

Guest As Good As It Gets
I'm only 19 and can say with ease how much my life has changed since I first heard American Idiot. It's odd that at the time, it was the first CD I really knew and loved, I knew every word yet I didn't actually own it! I was about 10 I guess? Man that has been a while.

Really though, as much as I love Green Day, it's time consuming as hell to sit through all of their discography at once. I had to take a break around Nimrod/Warning to eat and clear my head. It really let me focus in on what it is I like about this group. When I was probably around 13 I learned how to download music and started to get the rest of their discography, not knowing there was so much more before Warning and American Idiot. I don't remember getting to know the rest of their music until the B-Sides, and my mind was blown. In short, I've grown up with this group just as much as they've grown with their fans. It's entirely too interesting for me to remember how I felt about all of their music when I was 14, 15, 16, and even 17 years old, constantly changing. A lot has changed for me in this past year alone, mainly leaving behind my former friends/band mates and moving to a big new city with my fiance. I owe a huge amount of my love for the trilogy on those circumstances, as the last thing I needed was another really epic album to come my way. Three records of just fun really goes a long way when needed.

That's a great story. It feels fantastic when you experience this on your own, and everything feels exciting as you experience it - and then you meet each other people who have had similar experiences and it really goes on a life of it's own - I love that

Green Day for me were the first real artist that had a profound impact on me - everything about them, the band, the image, the message it conveyed, the sense of community it brought with it, and I think most importantly, the music

It's safe to say I wouldn't have pursued music as something I want to do in my life if not for Green Day, and I think most bands today have an acknowledgement to them - be it major or minor (it has decreased for me over time, I admit, but I still regard them as a pivotal point in my life)

The band used the term "powerpop" when describing Uno. Don't know if that helps you with descriptors any.

That's the word I was looking for!

Archived