Any one here disappointed with the newer albums?

Guest As Good As It Gets

I don't really consider this that much different than the previous albums, only this time around they didn't reduce the number of songs to just 1 album.

I can put together an album almost as good as AI from these 37.

AI was a masterpiece, and to make a similiar one is probably impossible for Green Day, regarding all the factors and the things that were going on at that time.

I'm content with the new trilogy, and I'm very pleased that I was able to squeeze 2 albums worth of >8.5 songs.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally thought 21st Century Breakdown was the weakest album.As what most people seem to be saying.

but I personally think all of their music is good,It's not a matter of ,It's not a matter of "IS this song good?" but "How LONG will it take for this song to grow on you".Which is what I love about Green Day..not that everyone will like all their songs,but you'll dislike it less after awhile.

Like,Today my least favorite song is "Christian's Inferno" though many people liked it,I never found it to spark to me,back then it was probably my least favorite too,but after listening to it through a few times.I found that it's not as bad as I thought.

So though I may not like the song,I tend to appreciate it's contents more.

Once I started listening to 21st Century about a year or 2 later,I personally think it's one of their strong solid albums,Compared to older albums? not as good as American idiot,but still extremely solid album.

As for the Trilogy,there were songs I couldn't really stand or skip at first. like "Night Life" and "Baby Eyes" (Though I loved how it is mixed reviews..not everyone hated one song,it was mixed everywhere.Love,and Hate) but after some time I found myself singing along to it.again.

It's not a matter of "IS this song good?" but "How LONG will it take for this song to grow on you"

Every thing from American Idiot and after has been great. I prefer American Idiot and everything beyond that. Than Everything before American Idiot.

I honestly cannot stand Tre.

I don't know, I've listened to it thousands of times and I skip every song whenever they come on on my playlist.

Well, the trilogy is cool, but lame in various places. Sound, lyrics in their most. In the sound part, the cleaner tone could have worked better with one of the guitars with more distortion. A guitar track with Nimrod sound. Lyrics, some of them are repetitive as hell. Chorus could be better than only repeat the title of the song.

Things like Stop when the red lights flash... Well, if I were Green Day, I didn't put that song in the record.

In the other hand, I find some interesting songs, and songs that evocate the old school way to make songs, like Angel Blue, Little boy named train, Fell For You, 99 revolutions and Loss of control. Bass is back, I guess that the new fender amps do their job well, and Chris Lord-Alge did a better job as well.

I didn't know how much people disliked 21CB..I love it so much.

Like I said before when it comes to the trilogy is that when it comes to the lyrics department it fell short in some cases even some of the best songs off the trilogy (DRB & brutal love) had some questionable lyric choices.. But I live the trilogy for what it is - a fun, mostly lighthearted album.. For me I like heavy deep, lyric focused Green Day that I fell in love with from the idiot era

American Idiot is my favorite album of all time. Bottom line, I wouldn't be who I am today without that album. That being said, I think the trilogy holds up very well compared to AI and the rest of their back catalogue. 21CB is also awesome, but probably one of my least favorite GD records.

21st would have been alright if it was shorter, and/or wasn't a concept album, but more of just a political album. The trilogy, while a bit much, is great. Had they condensed it down to one album, it'd be really really good.

I love the trilogy. I look at it as a full unit, and when I do that, it's in my top 3 Green Day releases ever. So yeah.

Up until the trilogy, I was convinced Green Day could do no wrong. Although 21st century breakdown wasn't quite as tight as American Idiot, it was an extremely ambitious and commendable project, containing many excellent tracks (21st century breakdown, East Jesus Nowhere, Peacemaker, Before the Lobotomy). I loved all of the pre American Idiot era. Warning is an underrated and extremly sophisticated album and Nimrod is an enjoyable and interesting listen, if inconsistent. 39/smooth to Insomniac worked, because in terms of genre it stayed close to the band's 'punk' roots.

The trilogy is patchy. It has been time and time again, to the point that it sounds quite cliche, but they should have focused on one album. This way, they could have eliminated all the filler tracks and improved upon the ones with an ounce of promise. Think how much greater Brutal Love could have been if Billie Joe had focused on it enough to realise the melody was all too familiar. Experimental tracks like Kill the DJ and Nightlife could have sounded much better with less inane lyrics.

I don't understand the claim that this was supposed to be a return to the Dookie sound. It's not, for one reason: production. Clean production sounds excellent on a grandiose concept album or rock opera, but comes across as false and insincere on a set of straight forward 'rock 'n' roll' albums. The concept of a backs to basics album wouldn't work any other way. For their next record I'd like to see something in the vein of Nimord (experimental, but still touching on punk pop influences and not to much production). However, that is just a whim, that may or may not be fulfilled.

For their next record I'd like to see something in the vein of Nimord (experimental, but still touching on punk pop influences and not to much production). However, that is just a whim, that may or may not be fulfilled.

Compared to the trilogy Nimtod has more production work done to it as opposed to uno dos and tre...

The trilogy was recorded live in studio as opposed to the one track at a time over dubs and multiple tracks as Nimtod and the other albums do...

For me, Tré is almost as good an album as American Idiot. It's a whole different level attained in the song creation process, and it shows just how far they've come from being a bunch of snotty punks from California. They're musicians now, damn accomplished ones.

I had a really similar experience a few weeks ago, because I was listening to American Idiot too. And to 21st Century Breakdown and I think both albums are masterpieces with American Idiot being a bit better than 21st CB, but still, they're both amazing.

And I was disappointed with the trilogy, because I don't think that they show how good Green Day really are. Even the better songs on the new albums aren't even close to the quality of songs on AI. And that's why I'm disappointed, but it's just a personal opionion of course.

Up until the trilogy, I was convinced Green Day could do no wrong. Although 21st century breakdown wasn't quite as tight as American Idiot, it was an extremely ambitious and commendable project, containing many excellent tracks (21st century breakdown, East Jesus Nowhere, Peacemaker, Before the Lobotomy). I loved all of the pre American Idiot era. Warning is an underrated and extremly sophisticated album and Nimrod is an enjoyable and interesting listen, if inconsistent. 39/smooth to Insomniac worked, because in terms of genre it stayed close to the band's 'punk' roots.

The trilogy is patchy. It has been time and time again, to the point that it sounds quite cliche, but they should have focused on one album. This way, they could have eliminated all the filler tracks and improved upon the ones with an ounce of promise. Think how much greater Brutal Love could have been if Billie Joe had focused on it enough to realise the melody was all too familiar. Experimental tracks like Kill the DJ and Nightlife could have sounded much better with less inane lyrics.

I don't understand the claim that this was supposed to be a return to the Dookie sound. It's not, for one reason: production. Clean production sounds excellent on a grandiose concept album or rock opera, but comes across as false and insincere on a set of straight forward 'rock 'n' roll' albums. The concept of a backs to basics album wouldn't work any other way. For their next record I'd like to see something in the vein of Nimord (experimental, but still touching on punk pop influences and not to much production). However, that is just a whim, that may or may not be fulfilled.

Given the credit to Sam Cooke in the liner noes, I feel like Billie did realize the melodic similarity already, but chose to go with it anyway. Also, while I understand people's complaints about filler, if they had condensed the trilogy down to a single album, just using the strongest of all three sets, the result would've been absolutely terrible. Sure, we would've only gotten the Best of the Best or whatever, but, sonically, the album would've been all over the place with no sense of cohesion or direction at all.

Disappointed is a strong word. The trilogy is not the best they've done but it's generally pretty good though with some very good and catchy songs.

I actually like the trilogy and 21st Century Breakdown better than American Idiot. I love AI and it's a masterpiece, but not as much as 21CB in my opinion. The trilogy isn't as "epic" but it's just a more enjoyable listen for me, and I really love some of the lyrics even though they're simple. I think a lot of them are much deeper than they appear on the surface.

There were only two songs that truly disappointed me, really - Sweet 16 and Little Boy Named Train (which is slowly growing on me, so maybe I'll stop bashing it soon, haha). Not crazy about Loss of Control, Walk Away or Carpe Diem but they're alright. There's as many songs I dislike on previous albums, and Dos is actually the first album by any band where I don't dislike a single song.

Also, it's interesting that AI is considered "old" Green Day now, I remember when it was so uncool to like it because omg they went all sellout and their new stuff sux. :lol: Nice that it's finally appreciated for what it is.

I was kinda disappointed...And many songs scream midlife crisis.

I know they worked hard but many songs just recycle melodies and feel unfinished.So many fillers there.There are some songs I really like buts still =/

And I'm not saying that in compare to AI.You must all accept that American Idiot was their masterpiece it's most possible not to do it again.

Everyone seems to hate Dos but it's my favorite and I really really like it since the first listen.

Don't worry, Green Day makes a super awesome album every 10 years : 1994, 2004 and next year if the prophecy is true!!! :D

The Trilogy albums are my favourite Green Day albums. I don't think they're a "pale imitation of everything they've done before" at all, their retro sound (not as in retro Green Day but as in a retro/60s influenced rock and roll sound) is fresh and new for them and I think they sound totally different to any of their other albums. The subject matter of the lyrics is new too, and they've experimented with styles they've never tried before. And the guitar and bass solos are the most awesome I've ever heard from them.

Just because they haven't gone more "epic" or more serious this time it doesn't mean they haven't progressed, I see them saying fuck it let's write some simpler and more fun rock and roll songs (while still retaining a darker edge a lot of the time and still remaining as honest as ever) as a wonderful progression. The albums contain some of Green Day's most badass and most beautiful songs and have killer lyrics, and I love them.

The lyrics for me are the worst part of the trilogy.They just don't make any sense.Idk...The only lyrics I'm into are those on Lazy Bones, Let Yourself Go and Makeout Party.

And the only think I see as progression, which isn't really a progression they did it in the past but the last two releases lacked it, are Mike's bass lines.Pure awesome!It feels like after 21st were it was like he didn't even went to the studio to record he was the only one being creative!Of course I like Tre's jams or some solos but they aren't something new.Most solos are just lyric melodies(that aren't that unique) played on guitar.

Yeah- I mean, I dunno. The trilogy was a really ambitious project and I think we all had insanely high hopes for it. Some of us obviously enjoyed it more than others.

My long-standing opinion has been that these guys could take turns farting into condenser mics and not only would I buy it, I would probably even enjoy it. None of these three albums would make it into my top 3, or even top 5. But there are tracks contained within it (Stay the Night, Stray Heart, Ashley, 8th Ave. Serenade, X-Kid) that stand out as some of my favorites they've ever written.

In the end I'm not disappointed, because deep down I knew that with such a massive collection of songs, there were bound to be at least a few clunkers. In that sense, the trilogy was more or less what I expected it to be.

"dissapointment" sounds a little harsh

American Idiot will always be in the top 3 Green Day albums because of everything that it meant and created.

as I read in some posts before, I actually think 21CB was more a disappointment, because for me it sounded like a copy of their own American Idiot, but it's still a pretty solid album with great moments and interesting sounds.

now, going to the trilogy. it was very difficult that it could've created the same atmosphere as American Idiot, but if you listen to the whole trilogy, it sounds like natural Green Day in every song. at first I actually thought "man, this is like their fresher sound since Warning" because of the naturality of the albums.

so, disappointed, never. they have shown the world what they can do, and are still are a respected band, and I believe they deserve to be a very respected band. I believe they are now without this pressure of proving things to the industry, they are just having fun, as you could see in the last concerts prior the 1 fucking minute incident.

Green Day will never be disappointing, and that's one of the beauty of this band. they will always have something interesting to show. and now Green Day has no boundaries

Archived