Any one here disappointed with the newer albums?

Guest As Good As It Gets

American Idiot is one of the greatest albums of all time. It's not my favourite Green Day album, I think I'll give that to Insomniac purely because I love the anger of it. But American Idiot is incredible. There's a bold statement about it, it's just amazing.

When I first heard 21st Century Breakdown, I wasn't much of a fan. Maybe I was too naive, I just found myself getting bored half way through and not truly listening to the message behind it. Now, I fucking love that album! It's not as good as American Idiot in my opinion, but it's still a wonderful album with some amazing songs.

Personally, I love the trilogy! It doesn't have the same 'we're Green Day, we'll take on the world' statement to it that American Idiot has, but it's still clearly Green Day and it has some amazing songs!
X-Kid, Lazy Bones, Dirty Rotten Bastards and Brutal Love are some of my favourite Green Day songs ever. Then again, when I say that I've got a favourite song, I mean there's about two-hundred I love equally so don't take my word for it. But did I mention X-Kid! OH MY GOD THAT SONG IS RIDICULOUSLY GOOD. There's tons of songs that all sound different, they don't get boring, they're fun and they're going to be amazing played live! What's not to like? It's great to see Green Day experimenting with new styles and just throwing out tons of songs that they've wrote.

I'm not 'disappointed' with any of Green Day's 'new' music. I listen to the songs with an open mind and can't wait to see where they will go next (thinking ahead slightly here).

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's not just about cutting out the filler songs that have been put out. If they didn't rush through writing loads and loads of songs ( which is what I gathered to be the case by watching the QUATRO! Highlights) and focused on carefully crafting just one album worth of songs, whatever the songs were, they would have produced a far more impressive record, even if it was just stripped down, back to basics stuff.

Ahh, but you are placing the blame on the wrong factor here: Green Day, themselves, said that they wanted to go back to the fast-and-furious style of songwriting from the old days. And they did. It's got nothing to do with the volume of tracks. They wrote over a hundred songs for 21CB. For the trilogy? Only 80. Which is still a lot, but the point is, any rushing or lack of care on the trilogy had nothing to do with the fact that they decided to make three albums instead of one, and everything to do with the fact that the band decided, early on, not to spend a lot of time agonizing over every last detail like they have been in the past. The first batch of trilogy songs were written as early as 2010, but from what we have heard/seen of the evolution of these songs, very few significant edits were made. That is the band's choice to not edit, and Rob's decision to let them go, not a lack of time.

If you're seeing them "lose their way" then no one obliges you to watch.

I don't feel disappointed with any of the new records, to me the band's just getting better.

I won't judge people who thinks different, it's good that we all say how we feel about it; but what bothers me is that I've seen plenty of bad critics, which is almost like saying they new material suck and they don't know what to do anymore. But I guess that's my problem, 'cause that's the way I see it.

"Green Day" and "Disappointment" in one sentence?! i didnt know that this is even possible :o

;D

I fuckin' love the trilogy, I personally would've got bored with another huge concept album.

21st CB is great, better than Warning.
Yes, yes I did say that.

Given the credit to Sam Cooke in the liner noes, I feel like Billie did realize the melodic similarity already, but chose to go with it anyway. Also, while I understand people's complaints about filler, if they had condensed the trilogy down to a single album, just using the strongest of all three sets, the result would've been absolutely terrible. Sure, we would've only gotten the Best of the Best or whatever, but, sonically, the album would've been all over the place with no sense of cohesion or direction at all.

I disagree, my trilogy playlist flows very well

Guest As Good As It Gets
If you're seeing them "lose their way" then no one obliges you to watch.

People make this point time and time again, and I have to ask - why? Would you rather try and oppress me, and deny me my opinion?

Disagree with the opinion all you want, but trying to stop me from sharing it won't stop me from sharing it

I feel it raises an important point, and highlights something that Green Day have really been lacking with the recent albums - drive and meaning

People make this point time and time again, and I have to ask - why? Would you rather try and oppress me, and deny me my opinion?

Disagree with the opinion all you want, but trying to stop me from sharing it won't stop me from sharing it

I feel it raises an important point, and highlights something that Green Day have really been lacking with the recent albums - drive and meaning

I agree with you when you say that nobody should try and silence your opinion. You have every right to express it, but I think laly was wondering why people who are unhappy with it constantly choose to bitch and moan instead of just moving on. I am not saying you are doing that btw, not at all, but in general I think that's what people mean when they say things like that.

Also you can't say Green Day have been lacking drive and meaning with the recent albums. That is your opinion, not fact, and I believe the very opposite.

Guest As Good As It Gets

No, I get that

But I'm trying to be more proactive and more clear about where I come from and why I feel it's not the best they can do, rather than just say 'Oh, this has no artistic merit whatsoever and I hate it's very being'

I'm not even trying to stop you or oppress you. I accept your opinion at the same time that I admit that it bothers me you think that way because I really love the trilogy.

We can't like everything all the time; but when things like what you're saying comes out, it makes me wonder WHAT is people expecting anyway? We're never damn happy at all.

i think alot of people are judging it to AI

it's not AI neither is 21st or any other album

listen to the trilogy expecting the trilogy not AI part 2,...

Guest As Good As It Gets
I'm not even trying to stop you or oppress you. I accept your opinion at the same time that I admit that it bothers me you think that way because I really love the trilogy.

We can't like everything all the time; but when things like what you're saying comes out, it makes me wonder WHAT is people expecting anyway? We're never damn happy at all.

I'd like an album that gets people interested in music, personally - how they do it is down to them

American Idiot did that for my generation, and I think they can do it again, but not by treading on the bones of American Idiot

i think alot of people are judging it to AI

it's not AI neither is 21st or any other album

listen to the trilogy expecting the trilogy not AI part 2,...

I like your comment. I agree.

Listen to music with your heart, not your brain. (And the first one who makes a joke using the word "ears" will be slapped in the face via the Internet).

Listen to music with your heart, not your brain. (And the first one who makes a joke using the word "ears" will be slapped in the face via the Internet).

Exactly this. When I listen to a Green Day album, I know what songs are good because they move me. Whether it be the music, the message, or everything at once, I feel my senses get completely overwhelmed and I go through what I call the "immediate effect". I find myself in an absolute daze while listening to it, I'm wide-eyed and completely aware of the sounds in the music. There is an energy I feel, something honest and real coming from the noise, from the music. Green Day is one of the few bands that does this to me. Songs don't grow on me until I put some "brain" into it, but I lead with my emotions, with "my heart", to be cliche.

American Idiot had this effect. Insomniac had this effect. Warning had this effect. Dookie had this effect. Kerplunk had this effect. A greater part of Nimrod had this effect (Jinx/Haushinka, Scattered to name a few). The 1000 Hours EP. The Slappy EP. On the trilogy, everything had some sort of effect on me, sans maybe 3 or 4 songs out of 37. In my opinion, that's a success.

Maybe if people lowered thier expectations a little, they wouldn't be so disappointed when the final product comes out....

Green Day are not super human beings that can churn out masterpiece after masterpiece, they're normal people too, give em a break, and every new album that they produce should be listened to for the first time with a completely open mind.

Internet slaps are the fiecest of them all. I would know, the internet told me when I asked it of the great God Google!

No but seriously, a lot of people are comparing this to their prior works and such, which is a bit annoying really. You need to be able to objectively judge the album as an album on it's own. Then you can move on to seeing how it goes against the rest of that artist discography. I think many just skip straight to that and say "oh it's not as good as American Idiot", which it very well may not be as good, but that's not the point. If you judge something immediately be comparison your views are therefore biased and unreliable in any discussion.

In my personal opinion, this trilogy is a fantastic addition to the discography, and just as good as other albums in it's own way. As ambitious as American Idiot was, this trilogy is just as surprising as that given the times. I have already gone over this trilogy with a fine tooth comb and have formed a final opinion just about.

This is gonna be one of my last posts on this thread, as the OP wanted to know who else was disappointed. I very much wasn't, so it doesn't apply to me.

Exactly this. When I listen to a Green Day album, I know what songs are good because they move me. Whether it be the music, the message, or everything at once, I feel my senses get completely overwhelmed and I go through what I call the "immediate effect". I find myself in an absolute daze while listening to it, I'm wide-eyed and completely aware of the sounds in the music. There is an energy I feel, something honest and real coming from the noise, from the music. Green Day is one of the few bands that does this to me. Songs don't grow on me until I put some "brain" into it, but I lead with my emotions, with "my heart", to be cliche.

You could not have described better the way I feel when listening to Green Day! :happy:

every new album that they produce should be listened to for the first time with a completely open mind.

This.

It's what I did; 'cause despite the fact they said they wanted go back to basics, etc I didn't really know what to expect, so I was just waiting for the music. And I'm glad Green Day isn't a band people expect them to be, they're unpredictable. :)

Guest RedStrokes
Maybe if people lowered thier expectations a little, they wouldn't be so disappointed when the final product comes out....

Green Day are not super human beings that can churn out masterpiece after masterpiece, they're normal people too, give em a break, and every new album that they produce should be listened to for the first time with a completely open mind.

Yeah, I agree.

I have one expectation from the band/producer

They really need to stop making Billie sound like a pop mechanical robot on some songs, it gets on my nerves.

Yeah, I agree.

I have one expectation from the band/producer

They really need to stop making Billie sound like a pop mechanical robot, it gets on my nerves.

Need to stop?

Oh nevermind xD you finished it after okay.

I liked the vocals, what song in particular do you mean?

Internet slaps are the fiecest of them all. I would know, the internet told me when I asked it of the great God Google!

No but seriously, a lot of people are comparing this to their prior works and such, which is a bit annoying really. You need to be able to objectively judge the album as an album on it's own. Then you can move on to seeing how it goes against the rest of that artist discography. I think many just skip straight to that and say "oh it's not as good as American Idiot", which it very well may not be as good, but that's not the point. If you judge something immediately be comparison your views are therefore biased and unreliable in any discussion.

In my personal opinion, this trilogy is a fantastic addition to the discography, and just as good as other albums in it's own way. As ambitious as American Idiot was, this trilogy is just as surprising as that given the times. I have already gone over this trilogy with a fine tooth comb and have formed a final opinion just about.

This is gonna be one of my last posts on this thread, as the OP wanted to know who else was disappointed. I very much wasn't, so it doesn't apply to me.

Last thought: We're comparing an almost 10 year old work to something that we've only had in our hands for 6 months. One of that something we've only had for 1 month.

Last thought: We're comparing an almost 10 year old work to something that we've only had in our hands for 6 months. One of that something we've only had for 1 month.

fantastic point. American Idiot has had time to settle into it's position in their discography amongst fans. These are fresh and new and really need some time to breathe. We have had Tre for only a month now, making it very very new in particular. Comparing it to AI isn't even very vaild to begin with. Plus, why not 21st in that case? I feel that it is just as good if not better. I listened to them both the other day, and didn't enjoy AI quite as much as 21st.

Guest RedStrokes
Need to stop? Oh nevermind xD you finished it after okay. I liked the vocals, what song in particular do you mean?
Not many, Song of the century Last night on earth Stay the night See you tonight

This.

It's what I did; 'cause despite the fact they said they wanted go back to basics, etc I didn't really know what to expect, so I was just waiting for the music. And I'm glad Green Day isn't a band people expect them to be, they're unpredictable. :)

It's what you should do with any album really, but it happens a hell of a lot with Green Day.

It's like people cannot get American Idiot out of thier heads. When people bought Uno!, I bet you the first thing that they thought was "Oh, it's good, but not as good as American Idiot" WHY?

It's Uno,! Not American Idiot pt 2. But yeah, Green Day have never majorly disappointed me, maybe a little with Warning but hey, they've certainly got more positives to me outweighing the neghatives :P

Not many, Song of the century Last night on earth Stay the night See you tonight

Oh you mean that? In Stay The Night maybe, but in the others it's supposed to have a vintage radio type sound. I love it to death X]

Archived