Any one here disappointed with the newer albums?

Guest As Good As It Gets

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I'm kind of disappointed...mainly by horrible lyrics. And it's not even close to anything they did before. Sounds just so uninspired in some spots. But still, it's passable...I like about 15 songs from it. Some of them a lot. At least everybody can find something for themselves :S

The lyrics for me are the worst part of the trilogy.They just don't make any sense.Idk...The only lyrics I'm into are those on Lazy Bones, Let Yourself Go and Makeout Party.

And the only think I see as progression, which isn't really a progression they did it in the past but the last two releases lacked it, are Mike's bass lines.Pure awesome!It feels like after 21st were it was like he didn't even went to the studio to record he was the only one being creative!Of course I like Tre's jams or some solos but they aren't something new.Most solos are just lyric melodies(that aren't that unique) played on guitar.

Amy...by far the best lyrics on the trilogy :)

I'm not disappointed at all actually, I love the trilogy..
The album i actually is most disappointed with is Dookie.... I feel so ashamed to say it, but that's what i mean. No offence haha, i love Dookie, its just the one i hate the most.
I don't see what people don't like about 21CB, it's a lovely album, with alot of power. Warning, so fresh and all of the other albums too.... i can't really find anything i don't like.

i think once people start seeing and hearing these new songs played live they will enjoy the albums more cause maybe new songs mean new rituals during shows like the breakdown in king for a day/shout or when he asks for 1,2,3's during hitchin a ride..and then they will have certain memories attached with the songs if they didnt before

Dos and Tre are extremely disappointing for me, but I really liked 21st Century Breakdown and Uno.

...And many songs scream midlife crisis.

Aw shit, at 36 years old, maybe that's why I like it so much...

21st Century Breakdown was actually good. Not as good as American Idiot, but a solid record.

The trilogy was average. You can pick up some great songs from each disc, but all things considered it was not a brilliant idea; it's neither Teenage Dream, which sucks but you're sure will have an explosive chart performance, neither Lonerism, which is extraordinary and you know will see a poor commercial success. To sum up my idea, the trilogy fails both in quality and success, where, on the contrary, American Idiot (and 21st Century Breakdown) succedeed.

Kinda. I mean, it's sad to see undeniable faults in their new albums: lazy solos that just imitate the verses' melody, lazy choruses that mostly repeat the title of the song a few times, Billie doing also backing vocals when that has always been and should always be Mike's job, and Billie's edited voice when all of us know that it's good enough without editing.

It was weird to see that the b-sides for 21st Century Breakdown were better than the songs in the actual album, and I'm sure this will happen in many cases if any b-sides surface.

About the '21st Century Breakdown' would have been better if discussion, this is what I have to say: To me, 21st Century Breakdown would have been better without all those boring intros and the obviously filler Song of the Century. I would have replaced Restless Heart Syndrome with Hearts Collide, 21 Guns with When It's Time and See The Light with Lights Out. That, and not making Billie's voice so intensely overproduced in most of the album, would have made a much better album.

The way I look at it, American Idiot is just one of those achievements that most great bands have only once or a few times in their career, creating a masterpiece at the proper time for it to be taken in. Some bands never have that great album. Personally I think 21CB has some really great work on it, but also some poor work which I believe was included because a) it fit with the story line, and b) because Green Day may be just a bit too confident in their song writing right now. I was okay with Breakdown because they did push farther and into styles they had never explored, but I also think it os one of their least consistent works. As for the Trilogy, it is hard to speculate which songs would have made it on to just one album, and it would have been no AI, but it would have been a really good collection of songs, an I love the Trilogy as a whole minus a few songs (which some people love), and am glad that they did it. So I would agree that they have not achieved what they did with AI, but I wouldn't say I am disappointed. I think they are trying to figure themselves out right now. Like I said AI was a rare achievement, to put out one of the greatest records of all time, and who knows if they can do that again. As long as tey keep putting out some awesome music, I'll be happy.

I'm as happy as I could be with the new music, I think the trilogy is my favorite GD production yet, and I also enjoyed 21st CBD very much!

After 21st cb they could of released they could have released an album of abba covers and i would of still probably found it an improvement. Don't get me wrong there are a few tracks i skip and haven't given a proper chance on each album cos they just haven't jumped out to me but there are enough good songs over the trilogy that have really pleased me, it's still a newer sound but at the same time it feels like a bit of the classic Green Day is also back so i'm satisfied!

Katie definitely summed it up well for me.

I think I am disappointed to an extent, yes. I've given Uno a number of tries and simply cannot get into it. There are a small number of songs that I enjoy (4 or 5), but overall, I don't make an effort to listen to the album. If anything, I'm likely to skip most of those songs. I haven't even purchased Dos or Tre yet. Dos is alright. Tre is the one that I like the most. I've noticed the trilogy being compared to Warning in terms of diversity. Yeah, I definitely don't see that.

I love AI. 21stCB comes in at a close second. They were both fantastic albums in my opinion. 21stCB was the first album that I had to wait for. When it was finally released, I felt that those years of waiting were made worthwhile. I couldn't stop listening to it. That same reaction definitely didn't happen with the trilogy. I waited for Uno to officially release before listening to it. The anticipation was great, but after giving it a listen, it wasn't the same. I kind of went, "Alright. Hmm... I liked a couple of these songs, but I already forgot most of them." That was that. Dos came out, and I couldn't help but repeat Wild One a number of times. That was my highlight of Dos. Tre came out and it was the only album out of the trilogy that I found myself enjoying a majority of the time.

In summary, I give them props for trying something different and throwing what they had out in the open. At the same time, I saw it as average. GD can make some amazing material. That's obvious. I definitely don't think that this was conveyed with the trilogy. Is this because I have a preference for the deeper lyrics with a larger meaning? It probably is in some way. I don't doubt there being a little bias with that. It's more than that, though. It just doesn't spark with me like the previous albums have.

no...not really. i love this trilogy...i'm listening all day long ¡tré!...maybe some song...are not so good to me ( oh love or makout a party f..) but the trilogy it's really good. We have so many goods songs

Guest RedStrokes
Aw, man, I LOVE Loss of Control! "Hanging out all by myself, at least I'm in good company"!

I love that line!

Seeing this played live on Quatro made me really like it even more too.

Definitely agreed. Loss of control is one of my favorites on the trilogy, and thanks for the compliment, you're a sweetheart.

I'll be honest, for me, DOS was a disappointment, its not a bad album, but its one of my 2 least favorite Green Day albums. The thing that really makes it a disappointment though is i was really looking forward to it and i thought it was going to be my favorite of the trilogy, but no for me it was a disappointment and my least favorite trilogy album :(

And 21st Century Breakdown is one of my least favorite Green Day albums, it does have some great songs on it, but it also has some of my least favorites which just for me overshadow the good side of it a little to much :(

I was introduced in Green Day with American Idiot. But I always prefered the 90's stuff.

I was disappointed with 21st Century Breakdown. And American Idiot is now one of my two least favorites Green Day albums.

I love the trilogy because some songs reminds me the 90's Green Day I love (Nuclear Family, Missing you, Let Yourself Go, Loss of Control, Sex Drugs & Violence, ...).

The trilogy sees also the return of epic bass lines from Mike Dirnt & solos from BJA (I don't consider there are solos in 21st CBD). There is also a rock'n'roll thing that I don't feel in others albums. In my opinion, this stuff is very similar to The Clash. The trilogy is the Sandinista! of Green Day (I see AI as the London Calling of GD).

For me, ¡Uno! can be compared to Dookie. It doesn't have the same guitar sound but it has the same guitar riffs. Nuclear Family with more distorsion could appear on Dookie.

I'd take the trilogy over AI & especially 21stCB any day & any time.

I wasn't, I really enjoyed the albums and I still do :) Like someone said on here you could tell they were having fun when making these and you really can, which is one of the reasons why I enjoy this trilogy so much, makes me smile :happy: I liked hearing the different sounds from each album, I love seeing them experiment what they can do whether it works or not, at least they're not afraid in trying :)

Granted I'll admit Dos is probably the album I listen to the least, even though it has my favourite song from the entire trilogy on it (Lazy Bones :wub: ) I just find that album the hardest to connect with I guess but I still liked hearing them stepping out of their comfort zone and doing something new, like Nightlife...don't think anyone saw a rap song coming from them :lol:

For the lyrics, as strange as some of them are (looking at you Troublemaker) I also liked them, it's nice seeing that Billie can go from writing really complex things like in American Idiot to simple lyrics in the trilogy :) So the the trilogy's good in my books :D

All I can say for 21CB that if it wasn't for that album I wouldn't have got into Green Day. So that album has a special place in my heart :wub:

Recently I did the same thing the opener of this thread did, I listened to American Idiot again after quite a while and I nearly forgot how fucking perfect it is. The punch you in the face-production, the amazing lyrics, the crunchy and loud guitars... And I also rewatched Bullet in a Bible, and all those American Idiot-feelings came back, I actually got kind of emotional :D The way they talk about a song like Jesus of Suburbia: "This isn't just a catchy song, you're not like 'oh I can dance to this', it means way more than that for so many people and everyone projects their own feelings into the song." So much angst, so much anger, so much energy but still fun at the same time. Rage and love I guess.

21st Century Breakdown also had it. Not as much as American Idiot, but it had this big ambitious "Let's take over the world" feeling to it.

I guess that's what's kind of missing in the trilogy for me. I still like the trilogy because it has good songs that will be fun live, but it's just not as epic and ambitious as the Green Day I've grown to love over the past decade. The trilogy still has some great songs like Dirty Rotten Bastards, Lazy Bones and X-Kid, but no song really reached that level that AI and 21stCB reached where I actually think more of the songs than "Oh I like this song because it's catchy and has this cool bass part." Songs like Jesus of Suburbia, East Jesus Nowhere, 21st Century Breakdown, Whatsername, Boulevard of Broken Dreams, Letterbomb, Homecoming, Wake Me Up When September Ends, Viva La Gloria, 21 Guns... Those are songs that just blow my mind every time.

I know that the trilogy is supposed to go "back to the basics" and if Green Day wants to do that, fine. I will always follow them and will probably keep listening to their records for the rest of my life. And I actually love "the basics" - albums like Dookie, Kerplunk or Warning which are rather simple but still portray so much emotion.

But after two such huge and ambitious albums like AI and 21stCB, I just thought Green Day would keep evolving as a band (21stCB may be not as great as AI, but from the instrumentation and the lyrics it's actually a step forward). The lyrics for 21stCB are freakin nuts, so I think it's reasonable to think that the trilogy is a step down from the concept albums. You just can't compare the lyrics to 21 Guns with the lyrics to Sex Drugs & Violence. And I think it's just weird that both Blink-182's and Sum 41's latest efforts were lyrically and instrumentally more mature than Green Day's.... It used to be the other way around. Of course more complex doesn't equal better (Stray Heart is simple as hell but is fantastic), but I'm just saying.

Of course some people prefer it simpler, I mean a lot of people on this board prefer the trilogy over 21stCB and that's fine with me. But I'm just a tad disappointed because I thought the albums would get bigger and bigger and they wouldn't look back at the past. Every single song on the trilogy (except Dirty Rotten Bastards and I think Brutal Love) follow the standard Verse-Chorus-Verse-Chorus-Bridge-Chorus formula, a formula they shat on with most of the songs on AI and 21stCB. I actually loved the slow intros to songs like Viva La Gloria and Before the Lobotomy, just because that's what makes them special, that's what makes them break out of the formula. Songs like 21st Century Breakdown, American Eulogy or the 9 minute songs from AI don't follow any real structure at all and that's what makes them amazing songs.

The songs from the trilogy mostly follow the "rule" and thus a lot of the songs sound the same and the whole thing gets redundant after three albums with only a few exceptions. Even if it's just little things that spice things up and give songs that little extra: like the acoustic guitar part in the bridge of "Waiting". Someone said it on this forum already, that part just makes the song. Because the trilogy songs are so simple, they also sound kind of plain. I think all of the trilogy songs are good, but very few of them are really special and move me like the songs on the concept records did.

When they're gonna play a song like Oh Love live, I'm gonna sing my heart out like with every other song, but it's never gonna really move me like when they play 21 Guns live.

I actually got really really sad when I realized I will probably never hear Jesus of Suburbia live anymore because it will be replaced by like four trilogy songs. :(

I don't hate the trilogy, I like it, but I'm just a bit disappointed because it just isn't the worthy follow up to 21st Century Breakdown. It just isn't. I think I'm in the minority, but I really really want the next record to be a rock opera again. :D It's just the Green Day I personally fell in love with.

Given the credit to Sam Cooke in the liner noes, I feel like Billie did realize the melodic similarity already, but chose to go with it anyway. Also, while I understand people's complaints about

filler, if they had condensed the trilogy down to a single album, just using the strongest of all three sets, the result would've been absolutely terrible. Sure, we would've only gotten the Best of the Best or whatever, but, sonically, the album would've been all over the place with no sense of cohesion or direction at all.

It's not just about cutting out the filler songs that have been put out. If they didn't rush through writing loads and loads of songs ( which is what I gathered to be the case by watching the QUATRO! Highlights) and focused on carefully crafting just one album worth of songs, whatever the songs were, they would have produced a far more impressive record, even if it was just stripped down, back to basics stuff.

Musically and lyrically, the trilogy has nothing on 21CB. But that doesn't mean they're not a good listen. I expected a 90s-style Green Day record with 21st Century influences. And I got three of them. So no, not disappointed. Although I know they can do much better, and I expect them to in the future.

I think the trilogy had massive potential - Songs like X-Kid, Stay the Night and Brutal Love could have (or might) become classics. I do agree it would probably have been better to pick 12-18 songs and put them on one great album. Not saying I don't enjoy the trilogy though. Tre was great and Uno and Dos were good. The trilogy also could have been improved x10 if they had put more distortion, gain and effects on the guitar.

American Idiot was nothing less than a masterpiece but Nimrod and Warning are still my favorites! 39/Smooth is the worst (still pretty damn good)

Things like Stop when the red lights flash... Well, if I were Green Day, I didn't put that song in the record

That is one of my favorite songs from the whole trilogy! Such a tune!

Also like to say that I loved 21CB at the start, still think it's great, but it is far inferior to AI. There are only a few songs I wouldn't skip at the moment when they came on shuffle (21CB, Viva La Gloria!, Last of the American Girls, American Eulogy) but I could listen to everything off AI over and over again, with maybe the exception of Extraordinary Girl.

I'm not disappointed at all. They'll never top AI, just not gonna happen, so I'm glad they're trying new stuff and going back to basics instead of being bashed for trying another AI sequel. The trilogy has really grown on me, and yeah, it's not as amazing and perfect as AI, but I didn't expect it to be, so I'm just going to enjoy the music. :)

Well, disappointed with Uno, Tré quite okay. Happy with Dos. But I know better stuff.

Archived