Any one here disappointed with the newer albums?

Guest As Good As It Gets

Guest As Good As It Gets

They've grown as artists, sure

But not in a way I like

I don't want them to become something like U2 - write great songs and be political, but doing tax-evasion at the same time

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why are people talking about 21st Century Breakdown..

He said newer albums, pretty much 21CB and on.

As many others have said, it's all down to personal preference. I was a touch disappointed with the Trilogy, but I really love Tre! - but that is only my opinion. Green Day is still a great band and, if nothing else, it's interesting to see them evolve.

In my opinion, there only 2 poorly written, "not bad", "okay" songs on the Trilogy: Loss of Control and Fell For You. Everything else is, in my opinion, either up to par or better than anything they have released before.

I tend to agree that the post-AI albums aren't quite as intriguing as their predecessor. However, my judgement is highly based on sentimentality. I was twelve years old when AI was released, and at that time it meant the world to me. Nowadays when I listen to records my feelings are usually a bit more nuanced, for better or worse. However, when I put on AI, I travel back to those days and I think that's why it resonates more with me than the newer records.

In my opinion, there only 2 poorly written, "not bad", "okay" songs on the Trilogy: Loss of Control and Fell For You. Everything else is, in my opinion, either up to par or better than anything they have released before.

Aw, man, I LOVE Loss of Control! "Hanging out all by myself, at least I'm in good company"!

I love that line!

Seeing this played live on Quatro made me really like it even more too.

I became disappointed with UNO DOS TRÉ after I listened to 21st Century Breakdown/American Idiot immediately following it. I understand that they are staying fresh and trying new things, and these albums are fun and solid. But they are lacking in comparison to the work those albums took. I feel like they took one albums worth of blood sweat and tears but spread it out over the three, whereas one albums energy was used on 21CB and AI and it showed.

I tend to agree that the post-AI albums aren't quite as intriguing as their predecessor. However, my judgement is highly based on sentimentality. I was twelve years old when AI was released, and at that time it meant the world to me. Nowadays when I listen to records my feelings are usually a bit more nuanced, for better or worse. However, when I put on AI, I travel back to those days and I think that's why it resonates more with me than the newer records.

The way I see it, nostalgia plays a big part in all of it.

Gotta admit I do that too. I feel stupid doing it because I know what, I look like but I just gotta look ha

You're too pretty to be upside down.

Aw, man, I LOVE Loss of Control! "Hanging out all by myself, at least I'm in good company"!

I love that line!

Seeing this played live on Quatro made me really like it even more too.

Its actually one of my favorites from the whole trilogy. It's got great lyrical rhythms and some good word play, and I dig that pre-chorus, but musically I just find it a bit off and a bit sterile, especially in comparison to the other "punkier" songs like "Angel Blue", "Rusty James", "Nuclear Family", "Stay The Night", and "Let Yourself Go."

ive enjoyed the trilogy but i am disappointed because i thought they would hold me over for a little bit but theyve already lost theyre mojo, theyre kind of boring to me if i listen to al least one of the albums every day. a song or two isnt bad but i dont feel like i can listen to them all the time which i kind of was expecting but oh well

dont get me wrong the songs are great but i expected much more with the amount of time spent on the songs and the fact that there are not 1 but 3 albums. i dunno it may be that im young and still have much to learn

I not disappointed at all. I got 37 new songs from my all time favorite band! And the best part was that you could tell that Green Day had a blast making the albums. No pressure to follow up on something hugely successful or release anything groundbreaking. Although what can essentially be viewed as a triple album is, in today's age , pretty groundbreaking itself.

I really don't even care for American Idiot so to answer the question, no. I take each album for what it is and don't bother comparing it to earlier releases.

I think the last albums where like this

American Idiot

\

\ ¡Uno! ¡Dos! ¡Tré!

\. /

\. /

\. /

\. /

\. /

21st century Breakdown

Guest As Good As It Gets

I guess my personal disappoint with the new 3 albums stems from that they seem like they're having a fun time, but there's no message there

You can have a fun time and write songs that have a drive to them, I felt that was lacking

I think this trilogy is nothing special. I don't wanna see Green Day treading old water like what they did with uno or dos. Tre was honestly more in line with what I expected out of Green Day post 21st Century Breakdown.

I absolutely loved 21st CB when it came out, so much so that I even thought it was better than American Idiot. But nowadays I don't listen to it very often at all, and yet I still come back to American Idiot all the time. I would now rank 21st CB at number 4 out of all the albums, behind AI, Kerplunk and Dookie in that order. The trilogy I have immediately connected with as well, however, I don't think it is the band's best work like I did when I first heard 21st CB, but I do love it. So no, I haven't been disappointed at all by any of the newer albums.

Yes.

Quality over quantity. They've been forgetting that. Even with 21st Century Breakdown - when that came out it was my favorite Green Day record, now I hardly listen to it anymore. It tried too hard to recreate what American Idiot was. The songwriting was good, but the production is so over the top that it's hard for me to focus on anything else.

The trilogy...Tre is the only one I really like and will probably continue to listen to. Uno feels more like B-sides. It's not bad, but that's exactly it. Not bad. Dos...I listened to it once and I never listened to it again. Maybe I haven't given it a fair chance, but I was so turned off by what I heard that I don't want to hear it again. It's just...so much of the trilogy is stale, lazy songwriting with the same melodies and chord progressions.

I know there were a lot of old fans who complained about Green Day changing their sound when American Idiot came out, but...I don't know if I've ever seen so many people start discussions like this as I have lately. I think that's telling.

The way I see it, nostalgia plays a big part in all of it.

oh definitely! I'm not saying that people using nostalgia as a reason for liking something is bad, but it really does make objectively judging an album/song/anything impossible, especially from this group. That is what has taken me so long with this trilogy, trying to get my head around being a fan and if I actually enjoy this. It was actually liberating to finally realize that there are a few songs in this groups discography that I never listen to.

My problem with 21CB and the trilogy lies not in the songs themselves but in the production. I don't know if the band is losing it or if this is the sound they're going for, but I feel like so much emotion and power gets lost in the way some of these songs are made (e.g. effects on Billies voice, weak guitars).

My problem with 21CB and the trilogy lies not in the songs themselves but in the production. I don't know if the band is losing it or if this is the sound they're going for, but I feel like so much emotion and power gets lost in the way some of these songs are made (e.g. effects on Billies voice, weak guitars).

I would definitely look to the producer for blame more than the band themselves, either for giving them the ideas or for not shooting DOWN those same ideas. A good producer is there to help maintain focus and reality with the group while not hindering their creativity.

Archived