Any one here disappointed with the newer albums?

Guest As Good As It Gets

Guest As Good As It Gets

I'm listening to American Idiot for the first time in a while, and it's interesting - I forgot how good it is

I was 10 years old when this album hit, and at the time there were genuinely nothing like it, but deep down it was actually amazing

I actually think there hasn't been anything like it since, and it's coming up to 9 years (wow)

But it's a shame to see them lose their way, the newer albums to me seem like a pale imitation of everything they've done before

I'm posting this to see if there's anyone out there who agrees

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

21st Century Breakdown was disappointing to me at first, but it's grown on me quite a bit (although I still see where it falters).

The Trilogy, on the other hand, is fantastic in my opinion.

I liked everything following American Idiot, only because I kept an open mind to what Green Day is capable of doing.

Man, that's a tough call and a bold statement. It all is a matter of opinion really and a matter of when you were first introduced to Green Day. I first heard them as a senior in high school when Dookie came out and saw them live at Lollapalooza and Woodstock that summer. I was a HUGE Sex Pistols fan through high school and to me, these guys had a similar sound--quick songs, recognizable lyrics (unlike bands like Exploited or Minor Threat which screamed a lot of their lyrics) and I loved it.

I hate to admit it, but I didn't like American Idiot when I first heard it. It was 10 years after Dookie and I didn't like the long songs, the slow songs, the multiple songs in one song. It had to grow on me whereas Dookie I instantaneously loved.

American Idiot is by far one of the greatest albums of all time, no doubt, now that it's grown on me, etc., but I like the trilogy because it does have a lot of that early sound that Dookie had.

You are certainly entitled to your own opinion, and I'm sure many people will agree with you, but I really do think it depends on how you were introduced to Green Day in the first place.

Guest RedStrokes

21st century breakdown, was a huge disappointment to me, considering I only like 2 songs off it. As for the trilogy, well I definitely agree it pales in comparison to other albums, but certain songs, brutal love, makeout party, just hit home for me, you know?

...and by the way, I thought your profile pic was you at first so when I read that you were ten years old when AI came out I was thinking, "man, this guy has not aged well" and then I realized it was Jack Nicholson.

And did anyone else just tilt their head to see what Green Strokes looks like??? haha

Guest As Good As It Gets

Definitely agree with how you were introduced determines the way you see it

I know there will be people who agree and disagree with me though

For me, it was such a event that I struggle to really remember life before then

I'm not a fan of this trilogy at all. The new albums are okay, but I really don't find them nearly as exciting and inspiring as the other Green Day albums. Maybe my musical taste has somewhat changed, I don't know.

Guest RedStrokes
...and by the way, I thought your profile pic was you at first so when I read that you were ten years old when AI came out I was thinking, "man, this guy has not aged well" and then I realized it was Jack Nicholson. And did anyone else just tilt their head to see what Green Strokes looks like??? haha
Gotta admit I do that too. I feel stupid doing it because I know what, I look like but I just gotta look ha

I don't think it was ever gone met our expectations, simply 'cos we'd set them so damn high.

Mind you, people have said the same about 21st Century Breakdown, and that's one of my favourite albums, if not my outright favourite.

To answer your question, I was a little disappointed with ¡UNO! and ¡TRÉ! after my first listen, but not ¡DOS! Which at the moment is my least favourite out of the three if anything, so I don't fucking know.

They're all good albums, but in my humble opinion, not as good as AI, 21CB or Dookie in terms of instant appeal and all that.

I completely agree about it being such a huge deal at the time, I had listened to them before American Idiot but that album shot them from one of my favourite bands to my clear favourite. And the album does still hold up. Far too much was made of the political side of it when it's got a good story and dark sense of humour running through it. When 21st Century Breakdown came out I was honestly just excited to have new Green Day and thought it was brilliant. In hindsight I can see that record's pretty bad and over-indulgent but at least they were striving to top American Idiot. I part admire that they would try songs with piano intros and mariachi guitars and I am partly cynical that they tried so blatantly to just re-write the successful songs from American Idiot into new singles. I'd just skip so many songs from that album that I haven't listened to it in ages.

When Uno came out I was quite relieved they weren't taking things so seriously any more, but now the trilogy has had a bit of time to sink in, I would say it was a bit of a disappointment artistically because too much of it is a retread, and the best stuff from it is the stuff that doesn't sound like things they've done before. So it's clear that the potential is there to write another great album (probably not another huge cultural moment type album though) if they stop playing it safe with their music.

Guest As Good As It Gets

I'd like to point out that I don't mind 21CB

It's a good album - just not quite as solid

And I don't like 21 Guns

I don't know, it just seems like a cash in album for them, which is a shame

Here comes the hate for 21CB. My #3 overall favorite album in fact.

It's not necessarily hate. I personally love pretty much all of Green Day's albums, but it's the only one that I found myself disappointed with at release and the most difficult to appreciate because I saw a few flaws that bothered me for while. But it's still a good solid album, and I can also see why some people really love it and consider it their best work or their favorite of Green Day's releases.

As a forty something year old, not disappointed at all. I was not paying attention to Green Day until 21st Century Breakdown. I listen to a song from American Idiot everyday. Also, Dookie and Warning, Uno Dos Tre etc...

I think the trilogy was awesome, but everyone has different opinions. ;) I personally like all the albums, with no exception.

Man I don't feel disappointed at all! I loved American Idiot, as I got into them with that album when i was in middle school. For me, the worst material they have to offer will be on 1039, but of course that might change if they had some higher quality recording for it.
When it comes to 21st, I think it's an incredible album and definitely one of their finest. This trilogy has some spots where, at first mind you, I was a bit skeptical on, or unsure of really. It was nervewracking, tracking to listen to it all at first after everythin that lead to Uno's release. Now, months later, I can say without a doubt how much I love these albums.

I am not disappointed in them at all. I totally get some people will be, and that's cool, but for me they just hit the spot. I don't quite know why. I love American Idiot, 21st CB AND the Trilogy as much as I love all their other albums.

"Disappointed" wouldn't be the right word for me to use. Yes, I think they could have taken the best 12-15 tracks out of the three albums and could have made one, really good fucking album, but instead they chose to release something with songs that everyone can relate to differently. There's tracks I can't stand on the new albums that some people really like, and that's what I find interesting about the trilogy. There's something for everyone. While the songs may not have the lyrical/musical depth that American Idiot and some of their previous albums did, I think it would be almost impossible for them to top the masterpiece that American Idiot was. I don't think you can compare the trilogy to American Idiot since they are totally different styles of albums.

Guest As Good As It Gets

Because a lot of people compare 21st Century Breakdown to American Idiot

To me there is no comparison, but other people feel differently

With the new 3, I feel there isn't many strong songs off it

A bold ambitious statement to try, but again, seemed more like a cash-in

I think with the Trilogy, they are growing old...Sweet 16, Rusty James, X-Kid.. something you might be more respect if you got a bit older..

I found the trilogy to be pretty awesome, a few songs were lacking but they were still good. The thing is with the new stuff, I think you have to appreciate that they've grown as artists, and are capable of more than catchy 4 chord songs. But what can I say? 21stCB is the first album I bought myself, so I guess i wasn't too dissapointed.

Dos was disappointing, Mainly because it only had 1 good song. The other two are great with Tre being the greatest.

Archived