Experimental Green Day songs

ColinOr

I started listing every single one I knew that came into mind but I forgot that listing is frowned upon.

They've experimented with every single new album, let's just leave it at that.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Their entire LIFE has been an experiment.

THIS!

Why saying some songs are experimental? If they've recorded them, they're not experimentals anymore. Experimentals may be songs that they haven't released, yet. And if they actually recorded them is because they wanted to release a "different" song and not because they want to see if the xxx song will be popular or not. At least that's what I think.

when i first heard it, last ride in. but looking back and with all the songs in the trilogy, its not too strange. i actually love it!

possibly rotting it sounded quite out there its one of my favorites ..oops looks like it was already posted well i still think so haha

all by my self Dominated Love Slave Take Back King for a Day last ride in good riddance haushinka D.U.I everything on American Idiot was a big change , Restless Heart Syndrome Peacemaker , Kill the Dj, Nightlife,

American Idiot music wise was not really experimental at all lyric wise and theme wise AI is experimental but not the actual music

The noise collage on Wow That's Loud is something different for Green Day although the song overall isn't that experimental. Also Viva la Gloria (Little Girl) especially the trippy guitar noises in the second verse :)

American Idiot music wise was not really experimental at all lyric wise and theme wise AI is experimental but not the actual music

You wouldn't consider the harmonic arrangements, the suites, and the rock power ballads to be experimental for them?

You wouldn't consider the harmonic arrangements, the suites, and the rock power ballads to be experimental for them?

No well jos and homecoming is a little bit

I think a lot of Warning and 21st Century Breakdown could be considered a bit experimental. In these albums, the band used different instruments to why they wormally would, like organs, string sections, accordion, horns/trumpets etc. The fact that songs like Misery, for example, are so different sounding is what makes me appreciate them and grow to love them.

Let's see, uhh....

Rest

Christie Road (Sort of experimental they way it was slower than everything else and paved the way for two part songs like Brain Stew/Jaded)

Dominated Love Slave

Words I Might Have Ate (First song with acoustic guitar!)

Hitchin' a Ride (Just the way it had a much different style to it and was ambitious as a single)

Last Ride In

Walking Alone

Take Back

King for a Day

Good Riddance (First ballad)

Misery (Biggest experiment they had done up until this point, remains one of their best songs in my eyes :P)

Espionage

Jesus of Suburbia

Extraordinary Girl (Just because of the intro)

Kill the DJ

Nightlife

Agree? Disagree?

Oh, and Little Girl.

why was brain stew not mentioned before?

also, no one knows with its bassline and rotting.

Why do you think Brain Stew is experimental? They didn't make anything new in this song

it's very slow (slower than anything they've done before) and it has a hardrock/heavy metal sounding chord progression which is repeated over and over again (another novum). it's the most experimental song on insomniac.

Experimental...? pfft, pretty unoriginal if you ask me..

Experimental...? pfft, pretty unoriginal if you ask me..

Depends in what context you're referencing. In the realm of all music, nothing is original. In terms of Green Day, it's a massive experiment for their sound. It's not just Dookie with a story line. If it wasn't markedly different, then that album would not have alienated a shitload of their fans. Granted it's not a massive 180 for them, they built up to it with Nimrod and Warning, but it's still an experiment. Hell, I would say almost everything they've ever done has been a massive experiment.

Archived