Experimental Green Day songs

ColinOr

They recorded two instrumentals on the Dookie demos, both of those I love

Cool! :) What are they called?

Basket Case is clearly one of their bigger experiments.

Also, if you're being serious, what's your thinking behind this one?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dominated Love Slave springs to mind as their earliest true experimental song. Putting a country song with the drummer on lead vocals in the middle of an otherwise straight up punk rock album definitely isn't what you see every band out there doing.

Last Ride In - the only instrumental song they've ever recorded and is very atmospheric.
Espionage

Dominated Love Slave springs to mind as their earliest true experimental song. Putting a country song with the drummer on lead vocals in the middle of an otherwise straight up punk rock album definitely isn't what you see every band out there doing.

Espionage

Ahhhhh...I forgot about that one! Well, I guess they're both great experiments. I like Last Ride In better, though.

Last Ride In - the only instrumental song they've ever recorded and is very atmospheric.

Espionage? Also very experimental. Both instrumental, both somewhat surf-influenced.

Edit: Someone beat me to it :)

I don't know if I'd necessarily call it experimental, but Platypus has always kind of stuck out to me.

Last Ride In, Espionage, pretty much any of those weird ones without any vocals. King For a Day and On the Wagon also seems pretty experimental to me and I don't like those songs at all.

I wouldnt agree on that one. It's harder punk, but that's the scene they came from. If GD's genre is punk rock, than Take Back could fall into that catagory I suppose. Now that I developed on that, I'm not really sure

For me it's the vocals in that song that make it stand out. Billie is basically doing straight up metalcore vocals when he's singing "take back."

To me all the Shenanigans songs are differents and maybe thats why I dont really enjoy this album

Are you guys all forgetting that there first experimental song was probably "Words i might have ate" and don't forget about take back king for a day and Good riddance .. Nimrod was a very experimental album

Guest RedStrokes
Nightlife. The most experimental thing they've ever done.
Very much agreed. I still don't know whether or not I like nightlife or not. :/ More experiments that should be included are: take back, kill the dj, misery, lady cobra, ¿viva la Gloria? Little girl, last night on earth, and last ride in

The Forgotten..... releasing it on a Twilight album is pretty fucking experimental if you ask me

Also, if you're being serious, what's your thinking behind this one?

Well, it was a joke, but I suppose you could call it experimental as in that for their first major label album, something they got a lot of shit for anyway, they decided to make their sound even more pop.

The Forgotten..... releasing it on a Twilight album is pretty fucking experimental if you ask me
They just let a song of theirs be used as movie soundtrack, that movie happens to be Twilight, if everyone would just kindly get the fuck over that it'd be great.

To me all the Shenanigans songs are differents and maybe thats why I dont really enjoy this album

I can't speak for you but I feel like a reason many people don't like that (but I mean, a lot do) is simply because they are B-sides and that hinders their enjoyment of them.

I think Green Day's most successful experiment was probably Last Ride In. That really cemented their place as talented musicians in my mind.

I thought the four bonus covers for 21st Century were incredible and unexpected!
Also, Take Back, Nightlife, Song of the Century, EVERYTHING by the Network and FBHT which I include under "Green Day". Theres the Husker Du cover, a lot of Nimrod deviates from everything up to that point as well if you ask me. Panic Song is a bit of an oddball as well. A lot of this trilogy really pushes the envelope on what they've done before as well.

I can't speak for you but I feel like a reason many people don't like that (but I mean, a lot do) is simply because they are B-sides and that hinders their enjoyment of them.

I think Green Day's most successful experiment was probably Last Ride In. That really cemented their place as talented musicians in my mind.

Oh and Espionage! I forgot about those two =]

I'd say "Misery" is one of their most unusual ones. Billie himself said "it sounds like it could be something out of Aladdin." And it works so well, which is the weird thing. Even for Warning it's extremely out-of-nowhere sonically—It sounds like some weird combination of Russian/Jewish waltz during most parts, and spaghetti Western standoff music during the bridge. And yet it's probably the best song of the whole album, and the lyrics contain what I think is some of the best and most mature storytelling Billie's ever written.

Nightlife would be my number one for sure, but I also think that Take Back was pretty different for them.

I mean, none of their other stuff was quite as angry as Take Back and they even added in a bit of screamo for good taste :dance:

wouldn't you agree?

Take Back was very experimental for Green Day. It was borderline metal. Its an awesome song though :)

In all seriousness, the experimental ones are especially

Take Back

Good Riddance

Last Ride In

Misery

Nightlife

Kill the DJ

Peacemaker

39/Smooth: probably the cover of Operation Ivy's 'Knowledge'.

Kerplunk: I'd say 'Dominated Love Slave' and 'Words I Might Have Ate'. GD never done acoustics before that.

Dookie: I think 'Longview' was the most experimental. That bassline was something they've never done before.

Insomniac: none really...maybe 'Panic Song' because of that intro...for me that record is more 'experimental' lyrics wise than in terms of music.

Nimrod: a bunch...'Uptight', Last Ride In', 'King For A Day' and even 'Good Riddance' at that moment was experimental, I mean...a ballad with string arrangments...was their first.

Warning: for me this is the most experimental album they've ever made. None of the songs have the same sound they've had before. But if I had to pick only one...the most experimental one would be 'Misery'.

American Idiot: again, most of those songs hit me like something they haven't done before...but I would call experimental only the two 9 minutes plus one's...'Jesus of Suburbia' and 'Homecoming'.

21st Century Breakdown: 'Christians Inferno', 'Last Night On Earth', and 'Restless Heart Syndrome'.

Trilogy: 'Kill The DJ', 'Nighlife' and 'Brutal Love'.

Plus...there's a few songs that could be viewed as experimental in the compilation 'Shenanigans'...such as: 'Don't Wanna Fall In Love', 'Espionage', 'Rotting' and 'On The Wagon'.

For me those above are the songs where Green Day really stepped out of the box in each record.

Some of them might not sound very experimental nowadays but when they came out they where.

Maybe I forgot one or two...feel free to add!!!

Archived