Experimental Green Day songs

ColinOr

What Green Day songs do you consider to be their most experimental and overall very different to the majority of their music?

Nightlife is an obvious answer, it's so different to anything they've ever done, especially having a female rapper on it.

Misery was the first song they did to make me go "Wait...what? This is so different" and Viva La Gloria (Little Girl) seemed to bring back this style.

See You Tonight is also pretty different sounding and a new sound for them. What other Green Day songs took you by suprise?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Peacemaker, Misery and Boulevard of Broken Dreams spring to mind as the most successful deviations from their usual sound.

Kill the DJ and Nightlife for sure :lol:

But I think Good Riddance at the time was pretty out of their style at the time, the ballads that came after don't really count as experimental, in my opinion... Thinking about it, I think it's safe to say that Nimrod it self was a very experimental album, followed by Warning... And then AI, and then 21st CBD... I think we can consider Green Day as a great and diverse band for that, there's no album that sounds the same! And they have produced many great "different" songs.

I suppose Jesus Of Suburbia and Homecoming are experimental in the sense that they are 9 minutes long!

All these kinds of songs are one of the many reasons I love Green Day more than any other band. :)

Edit: I should add that it's not just that Green Day do experimental songs that I like, but that generally do them well!

Well also Good Riddance back in 1997 was an experiment, something Green Day never done before

This

Good Riddance definitely springs to mind. Walking Alone is also an important experimental song, as it paved the way for Warning and its new musical style.

I suppose Jesus Of Suburbia and Homecoming are experimental in the sense that they are 9 minutes long!

I agree. It's rare that a punk rock band does this kind of songs (except NoFX & Green Day, I don't see any band).

Take Back

I wouldnt agree on that one. It's harder punk, but that's the scene they came from. If GD's genre is punk rock, than Take Back could fall into that catagory I suppose. Now that I developed on that, I'm not really sure

I wouldnt agree on that one. It's harder punk, but that's the scene they came from. If GD's genre is punk rock, than Take Back could fall into that catagory I suppose. Now that I developed on that, I'm not really sure

Thinking about genres isn't the best way to do it with GD. Take Back is indeed a different song from anything they have done.

Good Riddance, King For A Day, Walking Alone, Jackass, Take Back, Warning, Misery, American Idiot, Boulevard Of Broken Dreams, Jesus Of Suburbia, Homecoming, Peacemaker, Kill The DJ, Oh Love, Nightlife, Wow Thats Loud, Dominated Love Slave, Brutal Love, The Forgotten

Last Ride In - the only instrumental song they've ever recorded and is very atmospheric.

Extraordinary Girl - very beatles-esque and a different guitar sound.

Hold on and Minority - the folk influences on these two really work.

Hitchin' a ride - Not an experimental song per se, but the violin introduction is lovely touch.

Redundant - I guess this one kind of experiments with different guitar effects.

probably Whatshername. seemed very odd,

off the Trilogy, Oh Love and Kill The DJ are very different,

pretty much all of 21stCB.

Last Ride In - the only instrumental song they've ever recorded and is very atmospheric.

They recorded two instrumentals on the Dookie demos, both of those I love

Basket Case is clearly one of their bigger experiments.

Archived