Green Day lyrics in other languages

Todd

Does anyone know how to sing entire Green Day songs in a different language? I think it would be really cool to learn, so if anyone is bilingual and could translate to their native language, that would be really cool. Google translate really sucks, so I thought this could be a place where you can post correct translations and stuff. I'd like to be able to sing Green Day in french

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

translating a song will almost invariably result in lyrics that make you cringe so bad you wished you'd never translated them. Seriously, most of the time it does not work. The only way to make it work is to tweak them instead of translation (almost) literally so it works in the other language, but that way you'll change the little meanings of the song a lot most of the time. We talked about this a lot back when there was a possibility of the AI musical playing in non-English speaking places, and it was all "oh god this is awful let it be in english please".

TL;DR: It sounds bad.

I also agree with Sanne ^ :sherlock:

Does anyone know how to sing entire Green Day songs in a different language? I think it would be really cool to learn, so if anyone is bilingual and could translate to their native language, that would be really cool. Google translate really sucks, so I thought this could be a place where you can post correct translations and stuff. I'd like to be able to sing Green Day in french

I could try to translate some songs into German :ninja:
...but I guess there are already some sites on the internet with German translations. For example here: http://www.golyr.de/green-day/index-5258.html

I translated the first verse and chorus of Dominated Love Slave into Irish a few years ago as a joke entry into a talent show. I'll see if I still have the piece of paper, it was fairly fucking hilarious.

Translating the lyrics for meaning is one thing.....translating them so that they're still singable/make sense in that language is another matter entirely. You can often lose a lot in terms of the syllables/rhyme scheme and, yeah, certain sayings or metaphors that don't really exist in that country and wouldn't make sense without explanation.

But I love all the examples you guys have posted from people who have gone there! Hats off to them :D

actually I think those French Lyrics are gonna help me, I'm taking french in schoool, and theres nothing I know better htan green day lyricss

I once translated some of the songs into Persian, dude! They seemed ridecules to me :P I was trying to explain the lyrics to my mom, I was rather laughing & crying instead of explaining :lol:

I ended up going to the bathroom.... :ninja:

Usually when lyrics are translated, they are re-written entirely in order to maintain aesthetic value. Look at the English version of Dragostea Din Tei - nothing like the original.

This band covered The One I Want in Spanish. Pretty awesome.

:sick: I speak spanish but... this is awful. I stick with the opinion that music shall not be translated.

French-Allons traverser le monde comme sur un carrousel
Comme une grande roue qui va s’effondrer
En buvant la pisse de l’ange qui va se heurter et brûler
J’ai simplement besoin d’un peu d’action alors donne moi mon tour.

English-Going through the world as a carousel
Like a big wheel will collapse
Drinking the piss of the angel who is going to hit and burn
I just need some action so give me my turn

As I promised, the first verse and chorus of Dominated Love Slave

Tá mé ag iarraidh beidh do slaibh,

Tá mé ag iarraidh píon a thogail

Bhuail dom nuair nach féidir liom féin a iompar

Bhuail mé sa cheann le slabhra

Is brea liom, mothu sallach

Is brea liom mothu saor

Is brea liom nuair a gortionn tú mé

Chobh chuir na staplaí daingeann

I'll put up a video of me singing it if anyone wants me to, it works surprisingly well :P

I'm bored so. *(btw, I don't guarantee for anything. other germans might have to facepalm themselves if they read this :P)

*ahem * ; See you tonight because I'm lazy:

Vielleicht sehe ich dich heute Nacht
Wo auch immer dich die Nacht hinbringt
Vielleicht siehst du mich auch
Umso kälter es wird wirst du mich nicht mehr sehen
Aber da ist immer noch eine Chance dass ich an deine Tür kommen könnte
Vielleicht ist der Zeitpunkt nicht richtig
Ich werde dich heute Nacht nicht sehen

LaCoccinelle website has a lot of translations of songs from English to French. Sometimes, some of the translations are not perfect, but most of the time, they are really good. It's the website that I use when I want to know the meaning of a song without translating it myself. :happy:

Here the link for the Green Day songs: http://www.lacoccinelle.net/211383.html

:sick: I speak spanish but... this is awful. I stick with the opinion that music shall not be translated.

I've been taking Spanish for 3 years and thought it was okay. .....But then again, I suck at speaking Spanish. :lol:

Well, I tried trasnlating Loss Of Control into portuguese and italian and it came out really, really bad. lol

Do you mean so the meaning is exactly the same or could it be a little different? I translated Basket Case into (North) Norwegian, but I couldn't translate the second verse without making it sound retarded...Any Norwegians out there who could help me? Or Norwegian-speaking?

I'll put up a video of me singing it if anyone wants me to, it works surprisingly well :P
Yes, yes, yes! Didn't understand a shit, but yes!

Archived