Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

The strokes

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

Guest_RedStrokes_*

Guest_RedStrokes_*
  • Joined --
  • 0 rep
I personally LOVE the strokes. They are one of my favorite bands and a HUGE influence on me, personally and artistically. Just wanted to know what some people think about them.
  • Comrade, Batgirl and Eric like this

Dark Lord Plagueis

Dark Lord Plagueis
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • Joined Aug 13, 2011
  • 470 rep

I love The Strokes, although I really have to be in the mood for them. I only got into them after hearing Julian on Boombox with Lonely Island, and his voice just stuck with me for days, so I looked him up and found his solo album first with the single 11th Dimension and was in love from then on. Honestly, I've only been a fan for a year but I really do enjoy that group. I'm eagerly awaiting the next album!

Blond-O-Sonic Shimmer Trap

• Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts
  • Joined Apr 11, 2009
  • 632 rep

I'd be astonished if there wasn't another thread already but you never know, even the Led Zeppelin one was only created a couple of days ago.

I love The Strokes probably even more than I love Green Day, at the very least both of them would tie as my 2nd favourite group after Arctic Monkeys. One of the things I love about them is they just look like what you picture when you think of a rock band. Converse, skinny jeans and awesome jackets.

I am so glad I got to see them live at T In The Park in 2011, it was one of the best hours of my life. That gig was so good. I was standing myself in the middle of the crowd, then as soon as they kicked off with New York City Cops everyone went rushing forward and I ended up pretty near the front. The atmosphere was amazing. They haven't played Scotland in so long, I'd waited years to finally see them and even though I missed out on seeing Beyonce on the main stage at the time I regret nothing. Arctic Monkeys even played the previous night so I got to see my two favourite bands on consecutive nights. Pretty fucking good.

Julian Casablancas is a genius and one of my favourite people ever. His lyrics go from sex with random strangers in bathrooms to introspective self-loathing. He's like a sharply dressed Woody Allen. And his voice...he manages to sing like he's just woken up. It's fantastic. The rest of the band are all cool as fuck too. Albert Hammond Jr seems like a stand up guy.

Favourite songs would probably be New York City Cops (may be the best gig opener I've ever heard), Automatic Stop and You Only Live Once. Favourite album is of course the debut, one of the greatest album of all time.

Guest_RedStrokes_*

Guest_RedStrokes_*
  • Joined --
  • 0 rep
I'd be astonished if there wasn't another thread already but you never know, even the Led Zeppelin one was only created a couple of days ago.

I love The Strokes probably even more than I love Green Day, at the very least both of them would tie as my 2nd favourite group after Arctic Monkeys. One of the things I love about them is they just look like what you picture when you think of a rock band. Converse, skinny jeans and awesome jackets.

I am so glad I got to see them live at T In The Park in 2011, it was one of the best hours of my life. That gig was so good. I was standing myself in the middle of the crowd, then as soon as they kicked off with New York City Cops everyone went rushing forward and I ended up pretty near the front. The atmosphere was amazing. They haven't played Scotland in so long, I'd waited years to finally see them and even though I missed out on seeing Beyonce on the main stage at the time I regret nothing. Arctic Monkeys even played the previous night so I got to see my two favourite bands on consecutive nights. Pretty fucking good.

Julian Casablancas is a genius and one of my favourite people ever. His lyrics go from sex with random strangers in bathrooms to introspective self-loathing. He's like a sharply dressed Woody Allen. And his voice...he manages to sing like he's just woken up. It's fantastic. The rest of the band are all cool as fuck too. Albert Hammond Jr seems like a stand up guy.

Favourite songs would probably be New York City Cops (may be the best gig opener I've ever heard), Automatic Stop and You Only Live Once. Favourite album is of course the debut, one of the greatest album of all time.

Hey! Yeah, I was lookin the other day and there wasn't a thread for them. Also pissed there wasn't one for the descendents or Joan Jett and the blackhearts . It's great that you were able to see them live. I mean just wow. I'd fucking give a leg, to see them live, but you know with the hiatus it was hard. I guess something I should have added to my post is that I've been a fan since I was about 12, my favorite album is room on fire, and favorite song is juicbox
  • Eric likes this

gdpony

gdpony
  • Anna Molly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,526 posts
  • Joined Oct 10, 2009
  • 1,222 rep

one of my favorite bands and clearly underrated.

Every album is a masterpiece, and they're amazing musicians! They're so talented, it's a real shame they're not appreciated like they should be.

Cob

Cob
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,969 posts
  • Joined Oct 05, 2012
  • 2,567 rep
Hey! Yeah, I was lookin the other day and there wasn't a thread for them. Also pissed there wasn't one for the descendents or Joan Jett and the blackhearts . It's great that you were able to see them live. I mean just wow. I'd fucking give a leg, to see them live, but you know with the hiatus it was hard. I guess something I should have added to my post is that I've been a fan since I was about 12, my favorite album is room on fire, and favorite song is juicbox

I can't believe there is no Descendents thread. What is this madness. 

• Batgirl likes this

Batgirl

Batgirl
  • #twerk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts
  • Joined Jan 17, 2011
  • 3,142 rep

LOOOVE THE STROKES :wub:

Amazing musicians, I'm not a major fan, but I do love their work :happy: I'd like to see them live one day.

Guest_RedStrokes_*

Guest_RedStrokes_*
  • Joined --
  • 0 rep
FUCK YEAH Y'ALL. STROKES 5th ALBUM IS COMPLETED FIRST SINGLE WILL BE CALLED ALL THE TIME
  • Comrade and Eric like this

Comrade

Comrade
  • Razzamataz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,604 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2008
  • 5,303 rep

The Strokes are one of the big bands in my life. They were a turning point in and became a cornerstone of my musical and fashion tastes. Julian Casablancas is by far one of my favourite lyricists and songwriters, I love his observationist lyrics. Seeing them headline Reading Festival a couple of years ago was amazing, one of the best gigs of my life. It almost sucks a little that Pulp preceded them and stole the festival. 

Guest_As Good As It Gets_*

Guest_As Good As It Gets_*
  • Joined --
  • 0 rep

I saw them at Reading (2011 I think, when they did the headline slot) - as a live band I was underwhelmed

Don't like how they nicked American Girl and it became one of their biggest hits either

They have one or two songs I quite like though (Under Cover of Darkness is a good song)

Tubbie Head

Tubbie Head
  • teh biggest Blue Night fan

• 12,423 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2008
  • 2,872 rep

I love them!

RevDrFunk

RevDrFunk
  • Grandmaster Tactician

• 4,008 posts
  • Joined Jun 23, 2010
  • 1,515 rep

So like, One Way Trigger, what's going on there?  I know it'll be stuck in my head in a few hours, but it doesn't feel like a good song...there's like, no distinct parts to it and nothing I can really follow.  It just kind of goes...

• Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts
  • Joined Apr 11, 2009
  • 632 rep

New song is absolutely horrible. I love Julian's solo album and thought Angles was at least half good, so I'm not one of these "they lost it years ago" kind of people but I can't find any redeeming feature of this song. It sounds like someone put a regular Strokes song into Audacity and sped it up 200% so the pitch goes way up.

Guest_RedStrokes_*

Guest_RedStrokes_*
  • Joined --
  • 0 rep

I am absolutely horrified at the new song. I would have never had guessed that was julian singing. I thought this song was going to be their comeback, but little did I know it might be their downfall.

WE WANT JULIAN CASABLANCAS, NOT A DAMN BIRD.

Edited by GreenStrokes, 27 January 2013 - 12:18 PM.

• Eric likes this

gdpony

gdpony
  • Anna Molly

• 10,526 posts
  • Joined Oct 10, 2009
  • 1,222 rep

So like, One Way Trigger, what's going on there?  I know it'll be stuck in my head in a few hours, but it doesn't feel like a good song...there's like, no distinct parts to it and nothing I can really follow.  It just kind of goes...

This is exactly how I feel. I'm a little confused about this, and not sure why they decided this would be the first single. I still like it though, but I'm scared to think what the rest of the album sounds like.

Advertising

Malleus

Malleus
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,957 posts
  • Joined Jan 30, 2010
  • 1,506 rep

Sounds like any other Strokes song to me. Julian's voice is a little higher but I think it sounds nice.

Comrade

Comrade
  • Razzamataz

• 6,604 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2008
  • 5,303 rep

I'm going to go ahead and disagree with the majority here and say that I think the new song is fantastic. It's so different. Like a mix between Julian's solo album and the more experimental elements of Angles, with a very Is This It ascending solo and bridge. What's not to love? I like it when bands with a set formula polarize their fans by changing things up big time. 

The opening is so cool too. it's kinda mamba-like. The falsetto disguises some cool lyrics. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the biggest departure from their normal sound that the band have recorded though. It's hardly unusual for bands to show off their most radical material before the rest. 

Guest_RedStrokes_*

Guest_RedStrokes_*
  • Joined --
  • 0 rep
I've been hearing that one way trigger is actually not the lead single :D

Maybe it is still all the time?!

http://fmqb.com/article.asp?id=2609165

3rd paragraph is about the strokes

Edited by GreenStrokes, 28 January 2013 - 11:15 PM.

Guest_RedStrokes_*

Guest_RedStrokes_*
  • Joined --
  • 0 rep
The album officially has a title!!!!!

It's called "comedown machine"

And it will be released on march 25

SUPER EXCITED!
  • gdpony and Eric like this

Comrade

Comrade
  • Razzamataz

• 6,604 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2008
  • 5,303 rep

And All The Time is still the lead single.

gdpony

gdpony
  • Anna Molly

• 10,526 posts
  • Joined Oct 10, 2009
  • 1,222 rep

One way trigger is pretty much stuck in my head now :P

So I don't really care what the lead single is, I'm pretty sure the album is gonna be epic anyways!

• Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts
  • Joined Apr 11, 2009
  • 632 rep

As disappointing as One Way Trigger is, I still can't wait for the album, just made a top 25 Strokes songs playlist on my itunes which was way harder than I expected considering they only have 4 albums and a handful of b-sides.

Machu Picchu is one of my absolute favourites.

Guest_RedStrokes_*

Guest_RedStrokes_*
  • Joined --
  • 0 rep
http://fuckyeahthest...tagged/stroko_v

^ everyone remeber to check all the time tomorrow morning

If its anything like the preview.... It's fucking amazing
  • Eric likes this

RevDrFunk

RevDrFunk
  • Grandmaster Tactician

• 4,008 posts
  • Joined Jun 23, 2010
  • 1,515 rep

Comedown Machine sounds like a Japanese album name, like by the pillows or something.  I like it.

kaylubd

kaylubd
  • Resident Bellamy Enthusiast

• 6,194 posts
  • Joined Feb 02, 2012
  • 2,419 rep

The Strokes are decent. I mean I don't get why people love the Is This It album....it's good...but it wouldn't be in my top ten. Either way, I like a few of their songs , so they're okay in my book.

RevDrFunk

RevDrFunk
  • Grandmaster Tactician

• 4,008 posts
  • Joined Jun 23, 2010
  • 1,515 rep

Is it weird that I like One Way Trigger more than All the Time?

Malleus

Malleus
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,957 posts
  • Joined Jan 30, 2010
  • 1,506 rep

Is it weird that I like One Way Trigger more than All the Time?

No, I think I do too actually. Julian's voice sounds so great in that song, I don't care what any butthurt true Strokes fans say. That dude can sing.

Comrade

Comrade
  • Razzamataz

• 6,604 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2008
  • 5,303 rep

Getting so excited for this now. Seriously enjoying All The Time more than I thought I would. Listened to Is This It last night with friends after a night out and with a couple of joints and man. That album, this band. I know CM won't be as good, but they are always worth the wait. 

Comrade

Comrade
  • Razzamataz

• 6,604 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2008
  • 5,303 rep

New song on Zane Lowe tonight! 

gdpony

gdpony
  • Anna Molly