Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Posted Image Trick or treat! We have a new Halloween theme. We also have two Halloween contests going on right now - enter with your pumpkin carvings here and your costumes here!

Photo

Help sign my friend's petition about self-abuse on social media

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

JardyOfSuburbia

JardyOfSuburbia
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Joined Feb 09, 2012
  • 206 rep

Hey guys and gals, my friend Kayla Landis is trying to get a petition signed to stop the promotion of self-harm on social media. Here is her message:

"Hello everyone! I would really love if you could help me out. If you haven't heard, there is some disturbing stuff going on on twitter recently involving self-harm and the hashtag #cut4beiber. If you haven't heard of it, look it up, but I must warn you, what you'll find can be VERY triggering. For this reason, I have taken it upon myself to create a Change.org petition against Twitter in hopes that they will change their policy to not allow the promotion of self-harm on their website, much like Tumblr did recently. PLEASE HELP ME GET THIS OUT! I will be eternally grateful! I am sick of just sitting around while no one is doing anything. We need to take a stand against this disgusting "trend." It is harmful to so many people! Please help me share this petition and don't forget to sign yourself. My voice alone won't change anything, but millions of voices can move mountains!"

Hope and Love,
Kayla

Here is the link to sign the petition: http://www.change.or...harm-on-twitter

If you guys could help get this signed, it would be great.

P.S. Kayla is a HUGE Green Day fan. There. You shouldn't need anymore convincing. Thanks everyone!

• Tabeeb and Koal Koalson like this

Ritz

Ritz
  • I am the motherfucking best- Mike Dirnt.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,093 posts
  • Joined Mar 27, 2012
  • 7,449 rep

Done

JardyOfSuburbia

JardyOfSuburbia
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Joined Feb 09, 2012
  • 206 rep

Thanks, Ritz.

Batgirl

Batgirl
  • #twerk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,131 posts
  • Joined Jan 17, 2011
  • 3,176 rep

signed! :)

MrLund96

MrLund96
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Joined Feb 19, 2012
  • 96 rep

I've signed it as well, great idea! It's sick that people do such things..

EmmaCharlatan&Saints

EmmaCharlatan&Saints
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Joined Mar 05, 2008
  • 218 rep

ummm yeah its a good petition but that Beiber thing was a hoax from 4chan

Sarcasm

Sarcasm
  • Panty Purée/Savior of Lives/Arse Doctor

• 16,045 posts
  • Joined Mar 18, 2009
  • 10,048 rep
ummm yeah its a good petition but that Beiber thing was a hoax from 4chan
The point is the hoax worked. Fans actually did believe it and cut themselves and post pictures of it.

Blond-O-Sonic Shimmer Trap

Blond-O-Sonic Shimmer Trap
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts
  • Joined Apr 11, 2009
  • 669 rep
The point is the hoax worked. Fans actually did believe it and cut themselves and post pictures of it.

Meta-hoax. 4chan come up with the hashtag, start posting pictures, then when everyone figures out it's not real, they come up with a new idea to pretend someone thought it was real and killed themselves, using fake accounts on a number of sites. Then blame 9gag. It worked because of the gullibility of the Bieber fanbase.

http://www.buzzfeed....an-raid-happens

Sarcasm

Sarcasm

• 16,045 posts
  • Joined Mar 18, 2009
  • 10,048 rep

Meta-hoax. 4chan come up with the hashtag, start posting pictures, then when everyone figures out it's not real, they come up with a new idea to pretend someone thought it was real and killed themselves, using fake accounts on a number of sites. Then blame 9gag.

http://www.buzzfeed....an-raid-happens
That doesn't make the fact that 14 year olds embarked upon self destruction less sad.

Koal Koalson

Koal Koalson
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts
  • Joined Apr 05, 2012
  • 1,005 rep

signed it

Edited by DerKoal, 09 January 2013 - 12:53 PM.

LazyPhil

LazyPhil
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • Joined Sep 18, 2010
  • 508 rep

I just don't get it, why would they cut themselves for Bieber? I mean, he didn't ask them to, did he? He's not insane, isn't he?

Sarcasm

Sarcasm

• 16,045 posts
  • Joined Mar 18, 2009
  • 10,048 rep
I just don't get it, why would they cut themselves for Bieber? I mean, he didn't ask them to, did he? He's not insane, isn't he?
He started smoking pot, no biggie. But someone on 4chan suggested that they should make the Bieber fans cut themselves to make him stop. Then it escalated and some people believed it and cut themselves.

LazyPhil

LazyPhil
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • Joined Sep 18, 2010
  • 508 rep
He started smoking pot, no biggie. But someone on 4chan suggested that they should make the Bieber fans cut themselves to make him stop. Then it escalated and some people believed it and cut themselves.

Oh because smoking pot is the worst thing someone could ever do! I'm sick of all this hate towards pot, they should be happy he doesn't do coke or heroin.

ConfirmPassword

ConfirmPassword
  • My imaginary friend thinks you're stupid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,264 posts
  • Joined Mar 27, 2010
  • 860 rep

Done!

Sarcasm

Sarcasm

• 16,045 posts
  • Joined Mar 18, 2009
  • 10,048 rep
Oh because smoking pot is the worst thing someone could ever do! I'm sick of all this hate towards pot, they should be happy he doesn't do coke or heroin.
At least they have a case they're committed to. the point is that kids hurt themselves, and that's bad in every way, shape and form.
  • Amanda likes this

Advertising

Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Joined Jun 12, 2010
  • 87 rep

signed it.

so let me get this striaght...kids are cutting themselves because he started smoking pot!?

unbelievable....... :mellow:

LazyPhil

LazyPhil
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • Joined Sep 18, 2010
  • 508 rep
At least they have a case they're committed to. the point is that kids hurt themselves, and that's bad in every way, shape and form.

Yeah you're right, people tend to forget that celebrities are also human beings, you shouldn't idolize any famous person because they are human, just like you.

Amanda

Amanda
  • Loved Very Much by Joey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,266 posts
  • Joined Apr 08, 2005
  • 7,686 rep
I used to get drunk for Amy Winehouse, but I quit because nobody hashtagged me :(

Being serious for a moment though, this whole thing is horrible. The idea of a group of people creating some kind of hoax that might trigger kids into hurting themselves. Just horrible.
  • Sarcasm likes this

Maria Gloria

Maria Gloria
  • Dearly Beloved

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,559 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2010
  • 5,889 rep

Done, no matter what the reason was for the Bieber thing this remains an important issue. The world is already a harsh enough place for people who genuinely suffer with self-harm issues, and the last thing they need is something like this making it even worse for them. Not to mention how this kind of shit triggers things.

It's irrelevant whether it was real or not, the issue is that self-harm should never be promoted or abused like this. And also that kids (who probably wouldn't have done it otherwise) harmed themselves like Ola said.

• Amanda and katherine c like this

EmmaCharlatan&Saints

EmmaCharlatan&Saints
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Joined Mar 05, 2008
  • 218 rep
That doesn't make the fact that 14 year olds embarked upon self destruction less sad.

They didnt thats the point! Those 4 pictures were pics already online someone just posted them with ''Bilebers' apparently saying that shit. IT WAS A HOAX!

Sarcasm

Sarcasm

• 16,045 posts
  • Joined Mar 18, 2009
  • 10,048 rep
They didnt thats the point! Those 4 pictures were pics already online someone just posted them with ''Bilebers' apparently saying that shit. IT WAS A HOAX!
Yeah, I'm sure NONE of Biebers millions of fans suffers from depression.

EmmaCharlatan&Saints

EmmaCharlatan&Saints
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Joined Mar 05, 2008
  • 218 rep
Yeah, I'm sure NONE of Biebers millions of fans suffers from depression.

ughh that is not what i said!!! I said that all the cut for beiber crap was a hoax but there is no evidence what so EVER to say any fans of beiber actually did cut themselves for him. Those pictures exsisted already on the net and people added 'beiber fan' to them that is all. Yes its a issue but dont use a freaking hoax as the basis for it!

Sarcasm

Sarcasm

• 16,045 posts
  • Joined Mar 18, 2009
  • 10,048 rep
ughh that is not what i said!!! I said that all the cut for beiber crap was a hoax but there is no evidence what so EVER to say any fans of beiber actually did cut themselves for him. Those pictures exsisted already on the net and people added 'beiber fan' to them that is all. Yes its a issue but dont use a freaking hoax as the basis for it!
You're denying self harm. I like it.

EmmaCharlatan&Saints

EmmaCharlatan&Saints
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Joined Mar 05, 2008
  • 218 rep
You're denying self harm. I like it.

Oh FUCK OFF!!! i said no such fucking thing! Stop acting like a freaking douche just because your a mod. Im not denying it you moron did i say that anywhere no! I just said that if its only this Bieber hoax thats got you up in arms I suggest you open your eyes.  Self harm is a huge issue but it seems you only give a shit now because some idiot posted a hoax. Well good for you then youll probably forget about it soon so no worries there

Sarcasm

Sarcasm

• 16,045 posts
  • Joined Mar 18, 2009
  • 10,048 rep
Oh FUCK OFF!!! i said no such fucking thing! Stop acting like a freaking douche just because your a mod. Im not denying it you moron did i say that anywhere no! I just said that if its only this Bieber hoax thats got you up in arms I suggest you open your eyes.  Self harm is a huge issue but it seems you only give a shit now because some idiot posted a hoax. Well good for you then youll probably forget about it soon so no worries there
I never denied the hoax, I simply said that some people fell for it and cut themselves.
And I've always been a douche.

Guest_As Good As It Gets_*

Guest_As Good As It Gets_*
  • Joined --
  • 0 rep

Self harming as a form of protest is wrong, no matter what the protest is

The fact this particular protest is aimed to stop a celebrity smoking cannabis is just utterly, completely insane

Something does need to be done, and I will sign this petition

EmmaCharlatan&Saints

EmmaCharlatan&Saints
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Joined Mar 05, 2008
  • 218 rep
I never denied the hoax, I simply said that some people fell for it and cut themselves.
And I've always been a douche.

There is no evidence anyone fell for it. 

Maria Gloria

Maria Gloria
  • Dearly Beloved

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,559 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2010
  • 5,889 rep

Even if nobody actually cut themselves, it's still a good idea for websites like Twitter to ban things like this. It's an issue that shouldn't be thrown around in any way, hoax or not.

(no that isn't directed at anyone in this thread, I'm just saying)

Sarcasm

Sarcasm

• 16,045 posts
  • Joined Mar 18, 2009
  • 10,048 rep

There is no evidence anyone fell for it. 
Nor is there any evidence no one didn't. What's more likely though? Unstable teens not cutting for the guy they love or not?
I've seen dumb people do dumb shit.

EmmaCharlatan&Saints

EmmaCharlatan&Saints
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Joined Mar 05, 2008
  • 218 rep
Nor is there any evidence no one didn't. What's more likely though? Unstable teens not cutting for the guy they love or not?
I've seen dumb people do dumb shit.

Wow so your faith in humanity is non exsistant. Good for you. Frankly I think you just think these fans did fall for it simply because they are beiber fans. Give them some credit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users