Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Frank Zappa

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Guest_As Good As It Gets_*

• Joined --
  • 0 rep

One more thread for GDC to ponder over

Any Frank Zappa fans here?

• fiercecircus and musso_kn like this

Cob

Cob
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,992 posts
  • Joined Oct 05, 2012
  • 2,572 rep

He's an unsung musical genius, I'll tell you that much. 

• Joined --
  • 0 rep

Oh yeah, no doubt about that

Business savvy as well as completely original and an utter genius

Sounds like he's describing Simon Cowell here

velvetgrass

velvetgrass
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • Joined Oct 16, 2008
  • 241 rep

I've been a hardcore Frank Zappa fan since I was 12 years old (almost 8 years ago). Most underrated composer of the 20th century in my opinion. If you're into checking out bootlegs (audience tapes, unreleased Zappa  compilations, etc...) of his shows in torrent form check out Zappateers. Believe me there are an abundance of them, I'd say as many as The Grateful Dead (not a fan, they're just legendary for that)

• Joined --
  • 0 rep

That's worth a shout, cheers

I think Joe's Garage might just be one of my all-time favourite records

velvetgrass

velvetgrass
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • Joined Oct 16, 2008
  • 241 rep
That's worth a shout, cheers

I think Joe's Garage might just be one of my all-time favourite records

I agree! As a concept album it was not entirely fictional, it was ahead of it's time in my opinion. The whole idea about music censorship, which did sort of go down in the 1980s with Parents Music Resource Center which resulted in the eventual parental advisory explicit labels on albums. Zappa was one of the musicians fighting that in the congressional hearings too (oddly enough Dee Snider and John Denver did also)

I still one day would love to use a real megaphone to recite "The white zone is for loading and unloading only. If you have to load or unload, go to the white zone". Odd yes, but still a daydream of mine nonetheless haha.

Cob

Cob
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,992 posts
  • Joined Oct 05, 2012
  • 2,572 rep
Oh yeah, no doubt about that

Business savvy as well as completely original and an utter genius

Sounds like he's describing Simon Cowell here

That's a great interview. He basically describes how Nirvana and Green Day broke into the mainstream, someone took a chance and gave the punk bands a go. We need execs like that today. 

• Joined --
  • 0 rep

Completely ahead of it's time, and in a way a lot of things that are in the record definitely came true in some shape of form - the whole arguement with censorship in music in the 1980's is a definite example of that

There's clip of him debating the subject with various people - the guy was so unbelievably clever, and so calm

I think there are still execs like that - it's just a matter of finding them

• velvetgrass and Cob like this

tigress

tigress
  • FuckMyLife666

• 3,918 posts
  • Joined Mar 03, 2006
  • 2,388 rep
Most underrated composer of the 20th century in my opinion.

Exactly what I was going to say.

musso_kn

musso_kn
  • Just alright

• 3,932 posts
  • Joined Oct 28, 2012
  • 2,598 rep

I have a compilation by him that I borrowed off my dad on my iPod. He's an extremely creative yet enteratining musician. Valley Girl and Disco Boy are two of my favourites, I'd say.

Amanda

Amanda
  • Loved Very Much by Joey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,945 posts
  • Joined Apr 08, 2005
  • 7,052 rep
When I was younger (so much younger than todaaay), I had a boyfriend who was 10 years older than me. He was a bit of a dick, but two good things came out of our six month relationship. Joe's Garage and Foxtrot (Genesis) on vinyl.

I'll always love Genesis more, mind :P

• Joined --
  • 0 rep

Each to their own

I quite like Genesis mind

velvetgrass

velvetgrass
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • Joined Oct 16, 2008
  • 241 rep
I quite like Genesis mind

I love their album Invisible Touch. I got it after seeing their video for Land Of Confusion, which is tied for my favorite music video from the 1980s, with Rockit by Herbie Hancock.

I have three other Genesis albums in my collection that I just haven't gotten around to listening to yet. Two of them, The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway and We Can't Dance I checked out from the library a while back and their 1983 self-titled album I actually own a physical copy of, since I borrowed it from one of my friend's moms one of the few times I went over to his house. That was 2 or 3 years ago, and he and his mom never asked for it back or mentioned it, so for right now at least it looks like I'll be keeping it.

• Joined --
  • 0 rep

Fair enough - nice arrangement you have there

We Can't Dance is great - though I've always thought the bass on Jesus He Knows Me is really thin

Dr. Queen Schultz

Dr. Queen Schultz
  • dogs were whistling a new tune

• 16,354 posts
  • Joined Jul 27, 2008
  • 4,427 rep

What?

There hasn't been a thread for him yet? :o Now that surprises me!

I will be honest I don't know too much of his music, but basically the popular stuff. Which I actually like though.

Controversial and very provocative. Many people might have seperated opinons on this one. What do you think though?

Bobby Brown.

Advertising

• Joined --
  • 0 rep

He divides people like chaulk and cheese, this is true - though I've always thought those who do have some form of appreciation for him are smarter, no matter how small

• velvetgrass likes this

velvetgrass

velvetgrass
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • Joined Oct 16, 2008
  • 241 rep

This is sort of related, but one of the big gifts I bought  for myself with Christmas money given to me this year was an album by Frank Zappa's high school friend and fellow musician Captain Beefheart-

http://en.wikipedia....ut_Mask_Replica

^The album was produced by Frank Zappa himself and I've heard and read about it for years, so I finally decided to purchase it. It wasn't cheap though, since it is out of print on CD. I got it used off amazon for $35 (+5 for shipping). I haven't listened to it yet, but I will very soon.

When I was younger (so much younger than todaaay), I had a boyfriend who was 10 years older than me. He was a bit of a dick, but two good things came out of our six month relationship. Joe's Garage and Foxtrot (Genesis) on vinyl.

I'll always love Genesis more, mind :P

Don't want to fill this thread with Genesis so this will be my last comment about them. But since you mentioned it, I just requested Foxtrot (on CD) from my county's library system, it will be ready to check out at my library probably at the end of the week or beginning of the next.

Amanda

Amanda
  • Loved Very Much by Joey

• 29,945 posts
  • Joined Apr 08, 2005
  • 7,052 rep
Don't want to fill this thread with Genesis so this will be my last comment about them. But since you mentioned it, I just requested Foxtrot (on CD) from my county's library system, it will be ready to check out at my library probably at the end of the week or beginning of the next.

Lovely jubbly, you'll find it quite different from the 80's Phil Collins led stuff you've listened to so far. The same goes for The Lamb. Peter Gabriel <3

• Joined --
  • 0 rep

Zappa plays Zappa

Peyton Sawyer

Peyton Sawyer
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Joined Aug 06, 2012
  • 31 rep

I wouldn't say I'm a fan but I do enjoy his music. There's nothing quiet like it.

Malleus

Malleus
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,975 posts
  • Joined Jan 30, 2010
  • 1,514 rep

I've always been meaning to check out some of his stuff, but his discography is almost as big as Kanye's ego. Any suggestions on where to start?

Asa.

Asa.
  • Raptor Vampire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts
  • Joined Sep 24, 2012
  • 1,015 rep
Baby Snakes is a rad song, I'll say that.

fiercecircus

fiercecircus
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,584 posts
  • Joined Aug 21, 2011
  • 527 rep

Frank Zappa is a fucking genius.

A good place to start would probably be with a "greatest hits" type comp. I think i have one called "Strictly Commercial." It's just a taste of what Zappa did.

My favoritest thing about the Rock N Roll hall of fame museum is the Giant wall sized picture of Zappa testifying against the PMRC. It's one of the first things you see when you walk in. *NOT WORTHY* *BOWS DOWN*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users