How do you think they should handle the promo?

Jean

There's no particular crisis to remedy here, really. The records have sold reasonably, and the band will easily sell out the majority of the tour, just as they always have. The 'crisis' is one largely manufactured by a media who love nothing more than a narrative. 'Slightly underwhelming' just doesn't have the same mileage.

In any case, the comeback route here is straightforward:

• Big interview with a respected publication that are friendly to the band's interests. David Fricke over at Rolling Stone is the obvious choice, given his positive and knowledgeable coverage of the band over the years.
  • Like the article suggests, consider releasing either a special edition of the trilogy or a condensed single CD release. One final video, worldwide release. No region specific singles. Try to push again for radio play.
  • Schedule TV appearances on the back of that release, and/or Quatro. The usual candidates, many of whom they were lined up to appear on last year: Letterman, Conan, Leno, Jools Holland, and one of the morning shows.
  • Get out and play a reduced world tour, leading up to big festival appearances in the summer. Their current fans aren't going anywhere, and will happily wait until next year for the second leg of the tour. Even at this stage of their career, festivals remain a great opportunity to play for potential new fans.

That is probably the best chance they have to get back on a level footing. Mistakes were made and obviously the rehab further screwed things up, but nothing is that bad. As ever, Green Day will be fine and the tour will kick ass. The 'triumphant return' articles basically write themselves ;)

YES, a Rolling Stone interview, even a short one, would be great.

That reboot article also made me wonder: are there still people out there who question Green Days' longterm legacy? Have I (we) overestimated their legendary status at this point in their careers? We know they've done enough to not be "forgotten," but the fact that their "failures" are still of concern to music journalists or fans might mean that they haven't quite gone the full distance with their careers yet. It's like, no one would care if the Rolling Stones (not the best example) put out a trilogy that flopped... it would just be that they're past their popular prime. Green Day... maybe we have to consider that, to some (not us as fans), they still have "something left to prove" to the world at large.

Oh, I think of this a lot too. I still think there are a lot of people who think they faded away after American Idiot and don't even know anything about the trilogy. Or, that, like you said, that they're bigger flops than they are, since they're not in the public conscious 24/7, which is kind of necessary these days (you need to be overexposed like Maroon 5, no pun intended, or Rihanna to be seen as relevant).

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
YES, a Rolling Stone interview, even a short one, would be great.

Oh, I think of this a lot too. I still think there are a lot of people who think they faded away after American Idiot and don't even know anything about the trilogy. Or, that, like you said, that they're bigger flops than they are, since they're not in the public conscious 24/7, which is kind of necessary these days (you need to be overexposed like Maroon 5, no pun intended, or Rihanna to be seen as relevant).

Maybe I'm ignorant of how the masses think, but I feel like Green Day is one of those bands that is HUGE but is not unanimously admired (or even 'acknowledged,' if you don't like them), and I doubt anything they do could change that. Not that ANY band is *unanimously* admired, but many certainly more than Green Day, and those bands are at least 'acknowledged' by haters as having done something for music history. It's even harder in the modern age. I mean, there are definitely people who think Nirvana and the Beatles were trash, but those people are few and far between, and most people who aren't big fans of those bands still know of, or recognize, that they are legends. I know plenty of people who dislike Nirvana, but most are not going to argue the significance of that band. Green Day, people will still laugh at the idea that they are "important." Green Day kind of has that Metallica thing where they *are* legends, but a huuuuuuuuge contigent of people don't give a shit or have zero interest in their music. Not sure if I used the best examples, but my point is that Green Day has always been a band you either get or you don't, and if you don't, you probably really don't. So everything they do from this point forward to affect their 'legacy' is never going to solidify them in quite the same way to have that UNIVERSAL ICON status. They took a huge step toward that in the last decade when they really became critically acclaimed, but just because AI received innumerable accolades didn't exactly mean haters were impressed or even appreciative of it.

It's kind of how I see Radiohead and Kanye. Everyone tells me that they're geniuses and progressive artists who push their genres forward, and I don't really care, but I won't disagree with them. I'd like it for Green Day to simply reach that stage where, even if you hate them, you gotta admit that they MATTER. That's all I want for my favorite band. Like when one of my friends said, "I don't really listen to Green Day, but I respect them." Good enough.

Singles are definitely what they need, in addition to a world tour and lots of promotions on tv, radio, etc.

If X-Kid does well, they should consider releasing another single from Uno and Dos each.

Archived