How do you think they should handle the promo?

Jean

In my opinion I think that American Idiot had less radio-friendly songs than the trilogy.. BLVD is the only song they really play off of AI on the radio anymore (from what I hear anyways) I could totally see Stray Heart, Amy, Brutal Love as "classic" radio hits..( as most radio stations play poppy light songs..)

It is inevitable for the media not to talk about the Iheart incident.. I think the smart thing to do is make their own video or written (press release?) or what not and explain everything that they are willing to share at the beginning.. and they should just refer to that video/ written piece when ask subsequent times as I am sure it would be tiring/ draining/ depressing to answer the same damn question over and over especially if it is about something so personal/ "getting dirt" oriented. They should be able to say- "we acknowledge it- we talked about it- we are not willing to answer more questions on the subject matter".

i wish they go on ELLEN .. i was very intrigued about them going to be on ellen. I would never imagine them on. But I do love ellen :) Ellen plays a lot of games too..

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pick up as if nothing even happened. Back in the 80's and early 90's sometimes it took a year for an album to take off. Time for them to pull this off.

Exactly!

The chance of the albums debuting on top of the charts are natually long gone, but that doesn't mean they can't improve the day-by-day sale or get a hit single.

After a few years, nobody measures success by an album's first week, but the total sales and the airtime of the singles.

I'm calling X-Kid! Though I wouldn't want my favorite trilogy song to be ruined by becoming a single... but that's a silly concept anyway, but it still happens.

I wouldn't want my favorite trilogy song to be ruined by becoming a single

But surely if it's your favorite song, wouldn't you be pleased that everyone else is getting to share and experience it?

But surely if it's your favorite song, wouldn't you be pleased that everyone else is getting to share and experience it?

You seem to have edited out the last part of that sentence "... but that's a silly concept anyway, but it still happens."

I think it's weird that it happens, yet for some unexplainable reason it does. I still love the song deep down though.

They should tour the fuck out of the entire world and release X-Kid and 99 Revolutions as singles. Getting on Letterman would be good too.

I agee that they should talk a little about iHeart radio just to get that out of their way,we all know that the press will put parts of that interview everywhere and I hate that they won't leave him alone, but it seems like the best way to handle the situation and continue their promotion. I still really want to them to appear on Ellen cause she's awesome :D (just imagine Tré and Ellen in the same room, it'll be hilarious :D ), so I hope that they'll do that, Letterman sounds good too, and of course I'm expecting music videos and lots of interviews :happy: can't wait to see them take over again

Just the usual promo that they should've started in August really....TV appearances, singles (WE NEED A SINGLE FROM TRE!), radio interviews and stuff like that.

Contributing to the idea of taking off, anyone remember Warning? I know it didn't become HUGE, but it became far bigger than anyone expected it too, and it only took off about 2 years after its release.

With the right amount of promo, I think Green Day could become one of the biggest bands in the world in 2013....just got a good feeling about it, especially with the tour starting up. Nothing could ever compare to American Idiot's success in its era but that was a time and place that was right for everyone. I think the trilogy is very under-appreciated and it certainly has a lot to offer to everyone with varying tastes (Kill The DJ, Stray Heart, Nightlife and Brutal Love are all great examples of genre change and experimentation on these albums).

Has anyone at the label even thought about releasing Nightlife as single....? Considering todays target audience and mainstream fashion that song will send everyone crazy.

You seem to have edited out the last part of that sentence "... but that's a silly concept anyway, but it still happens."

I think it's weird that it happens, yet for some unexplainable reason it does. I still love the song deep down though.

I totally get you, it happens to me a lot. For example, my favorite Adele song was Set Fire To the Rain, and now I fucking despise it =/

As an SNL stan, I'd love for them to do SNL but they're making sketchy guest bookings right now so it won't happen.

Honestly? I wouldn't be surprised if they just tour this year. That's where they'll make the money, that's where they're comfortable. I don't see them doing any promo tbh. Andres is TOTALLY right about AI and its 2005 success, and I want to believe that could happen this year, but I feel like even in those eight years, so much has changed in the music industry, trends, promotion, etc. that I don't know if lightning can strike twice again.

Maybe we'll get a Letterman appearance or something, but I doubt that they'll do anything where they have to do an interview, because they'll have to address the elephant in the room or ignore it awkwardly, and I don't know if Billie wants that (not that I blame him). Or, if they do interviews, the interviewers would have to agree not to discuss anything but the albums and the tour. I see them just cutting their losses on the albums and singles and just trying to gain hype for the U.S. and European tours without going to the media for interviews. Of course, I hope I'm wrong ;)

Dunno if I see them performing on the Grammys but showing up to give an award would be a great way to get the message out that they're back. Who knows if it'll happen though

And how is the end of March 'just over a month' away? That's when the tour starts right?

I think that Billie will address this whole rehab thing in an interview somewhere. It might be a bit awkward, but I think it will be important to him that he clears up the rumours, and gets his direct input on the situation out there. Then, I don't know. This is a bit negative, but these albums are very very unlikely to take off like American Idiot did in 2005. One more decent single with a proper music video would be nice, but I can't see it happening.

I think that Billie will address this whole rehab thing in an interview somewhere. It might be a bit awkward, but I think it will be important to him that he clears up the rumours, and gets his direct input on the situation out there. Then, I don't know. This is a bit negative, but these albums are very very unlikely to take off like American Idiot did in 2005. One more decent single with a proper music video would be nice, but I can't see it happening.

I'm hoping he (or the entire band) does do an interview that explains what happened and where they are going from here. There are so many rumors swirling around because there hasn't been any information given out. Not that there should have been, I'm sure it was important that things be kept quiet for the sake of Billie's recovery. At this point we don't really know what he was dealing with (we can only speculate), why they took so much time off etc. Many people were affected by this whole thing and it would just be good to clear the air and it could be helpful to others with substance abuse problems to hear Billie's story. Or it may be something he wants to keep private, we'll just ,have to wait and see, but I don't think it should be swept under the rug. It will be interesting to see if there is any promo for the tour or albums. I think there are several songs that could be used as singles if they choose to go that route, but at this point in their career they don't really have to.

Dunno if I see them performing on the Grammys but showing up to give an award would be a great way to get the message out that they're back. Who knows if it'll happen though

That seems MUCH more realistic. I do think that if Green Day gets invited to perform at the Grammys (with some nudging by Warner to the Grammy people, though I don't really know how this works, if it's something your label can lobby for or not...), they definitely WOULD do it, but I really don't think the Grammys would be tempted to invite them, mostly because it would seem to have no context for the audience with them not being nominated or hitting the charts right now. There are a lot of other equally famous rock bands who ARE nominated this year, so it would be kind of insulting if Green Day got to perform and they did not (I'm talking about Coldplay and the like :lol: ). Of course, more than one band can perform... sometimes the Grammys do just have random-ass performances, but those are usually by insaaaanely well-established artists like Springsteen and McCartney who probably are up for an award every year and no one cares or notices :lol:

No reason they couldn't present an award, though!

I really wonder how much iHeart may have shaken event organizers' confidence in signing Green Day for big events or even live shows. Granted, iHeart wasn't live on television (wait, was it?), and everyone knows historically that Green Day aren't going to play by the rules on live TV (remember when they had to pre-record Working Class Hero on American Idol because they didn't trust him not to say the F-word, and he was like "I've done live TV before..." ? But truthfully I can't remember a time where Billie self-censored for TV, he's always just let the bleepers pick it up themselves). Not that this was a possibility this year, but you gotta wonder if iHeart ruined the bands chances of getting gigs like the Super Bowl or whatever. I think they were just reaching that point in their career with 21CB where they were coming off as a more "mature" group (even though Billie's on-stage cursing has only gotten worse over the years, they seemed to be handling themselves much more adult-like in interviews and their desire to be accepted by mature audiences), but this might have set that back a little bit. Full-on regression, if you will, and people who book events might be weary of it. Of course, if Billie comes out of rehab all saint-like and pure, and projects that huge reformation to the masses, that would probably be enough of an image shift to make up for it. But that would be a changing of his whole personality :lol:

Little OT rant there.

Green Day: How can the band reboot in 2013?

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1699875/green-day-billie-joe-armstrong-post-rehab.jhtml

PS: Correct me if I am wrong but we don't know for sure that Billie is out of rehab. He said that he is getting better everyday right?

I know this isn't why Billie sought treatment, but that article made me think of how I used to act as a kid, if I had a big presentation in school the next day that I was super nervous about, I would "get sick" out of fear and nerves and chicken out and skip school that day. Sometimes, I literally DID get sick just from the thought of it. I'm sure Billie's problems are legitimate and date back to god knows when, but the sheer enormity and pressure and danger and fear of releasing such an ambitious three-album product is definitely the kind of horrifying class presentation that could cause a guy to lose his nerve. Anyway, I never thought about it like that, but it makes perfect sense to me that whatever problems Billie had came to light during the revealing of the trilogy... it's a huge, scary career step, and I think a lot of people would get sick from it.

There's no particular crisis to remedy here, really. The records have sold reasonably, and the band will easily sell out the majority of the tour, just as they always have. The 'crisis' is one largely manufactured by a media who love nothing more than a narrative. 'Slightly underwhelming' just doesn't have the same mileage.

In any case, the comeback route here is straightforward:

• Big interview with a respected publication that are friendly to the band's interests. David Fricke over at Rolling Stone is the obvious choice, given his positive and knowledgeable coverage of the band over the years.
  • Like the article suggests, consider releasing either a special edition of the trilogy or a condensed single CD release. One final video, worldwide release. No region specific singles. Try to push again for radio play.
  • Schedule TV appearances on the back of that release, and/or Quatro. The usual candidates, many of whom they were lined up to appear on last year: Letterman, Conan, Leno, Jools Holland, and one of the morning shows.
  • Get out and play a reduced world tour, leading up to big festival appearances in the summer. Their current fans aren't going anywhere, and will happily wait until next year for the second leg of the tour. Even at this stage of their career, festivals remain a great opportunity to play for potential new fans.

That is probably the best chance they have to get back on a level footing. Mistakes were made and obviously the rehab further screwed things up, but nothing is that bad. As ever, Green Day will be fine and the tour will kick ass. The 'triumphant return' articles basically write themselves ;)

I think the band should make a surprise appearance on the Grammys. Then focus on doing a few late night talk shows like David Letterman, Jay Leno, Etc, When they play the shows on the US tour I think they should play the trilogy all the way through. According to itunes the whole trilogy is a little over 2 hours. Just the right amount of time for a Green Day show.

That reboot article also made me wonder: are there still people out there who question Green Days' longterm legacy? Have I (we) overestimated their legendary status at this point in their careers? We know they've done enough to not be "forgotten," but the fact that their "failures" are still of concern to music journalists or fans might mean that they haven't quite gone the full distance with their careers yet. It's like, no one would care if the Rolling Stones (not the best example) put out a trilogy that flopped... it would just be that they're past their popular prime. Green Day... maybe we have to consider that, to some (not us as fans), they still have "something left to prove" to the world at large.

A lot of people are saying that Billie and the band should talk about or at least make some sort of press release talking about the ihaertradio thing. And I think the perfect way to do that is by rescheduling their appearance on the Ellen show. I think she would make "light" of the situation and be really chill with it. And plus, I have ALWAYS wanted to see them on the Ellen show! Billie and Ellen, couldn't think of a more perfect combination on TV for me :D But I don't think they should do too much. They need to ease back into this thing. Honestly, I really think one interview would do. And then they would go on tour. I really feel that is where they are most comfortable (:

Exactly. Rob Cavallo said something similar in the movie One One Nine Four. Dookie wasn't the overnight success everyone thinks it was, it was a slow grind until "Longview" really caught on. Then they released a steady stream of singles to keep the fire going.

One NINE Nine Four. :thumbsup:

I actually agree with the point of that article that they should sit down for a year and record another album in between dates before they really throw themselves out there. That would really garner some attention, and can you imagine the stuff Billie's written in rehab? I have a feeling he's probably come up with dark, but excellent, songs.

NEW SINGLES

They just released 3 new albums in few months and I never hear them on the radio
(I've heard some when Uno came out but nothing with Dos/Tré obviously)

People refer to these talk show appearances as if the band would normally do interviews on Letterman, Fallon, or Ellen. They've done a proper interview with Fallon before, but they hardly ever get more than a courteous sentence in with other talk show hosts, and usually never any "couch time." I think Ellen is much more likely to talk to her musical guests than anyone, but for the most part, musical guests play music, they don't talk about it. The actual "interviews" with the band about this would have to happen via proper music journalists like mentioned before, Rolling Stone, etc.

It would be great if they go to some tv shows (I was hoping Saturday Night Live and Live From Abbey Road)- but I don't know if they will take it where they left it. They had the signing for UNO (at tilly's I think?), so that would be great if they do it too, sooner or later; there were so many people waiting for that.

And as for interviews, if they do some, it would be weird if they ask Billie Joe about his rehab, I don't know how would I feel about that... :unsure:

I don't know If we should except any proper details about the rehab stint. Obviously, it's likely it will be alluded to, but I can't see them going into too many details as given the nature of the media, it'll just spurn a thousand and one more headlines not relating to the band's 'comeback' when hopefully, the word they want to get out there is that Billie's getting healthier every day and that the band is back in action. Who knows what aim they will take but I don't really see them going for anything that doesn't end with a positive spin. I feel like the last thing they would want is more articles about the rehab stint.

Archived