How do you think they should handle the promo?

Jean

In just over a month, the band will be back on tour. I think it's safe to assume that there will be some promo before that happens.

How do you think they should do the promo? How will they handle the rehab situation that is bound to get brought up?

If I were in charge of promo, the first thing would be to get the elephant out of the room. Have Billie do an interview talking about iHeartRadio and the rehab. He doesn't have to get into all of the details if he doesn't want to but just address it and set the record straight, clear up rumours and all that. I think Kerrang would be the best place to do this since they have shown the most support during this time.

Then the next thing would be to make up for the lost promo, which includes Ellen, Kimmel, etc. Maybe even SNL.

The first public appearance should be the Grammys. No, they're no nominated but they can perform. And they should play the one of the best songs of the trilogy. Possibly Brutal Love.. or if they want to get that place rocking, Wow! That's Loud or 99 Revolutions.

What do you guys think?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doubt they'll do the grammys personally... I'm still hoping they'll perform on SNL and do an interview with Jimmy Fallon

I'd rather they do Letterman. Fallon's talented and funny, but he is a terrible interviewer.

They will probably release radio singles for DOS and TRE, and music videos to accompany those singles. I'm not sure how they'll handle the rehab situation, I'd rather it if they just forget about it and move on and focused on promoting DOS, TRE, and announcing more tour dates.

I would want them to go on letterman just to see Tre's usual antics :lol: Jimmy's far from a great interviewer but he plays games with the guests normally, keeps things interesting

they should make a music video either live or a real one with a plot.. or just footage of them sitting would suffice haha

Pick up as if nothing even happened. Back in the 80's and early 90's sometimes it took a year for an album to take off. Time for them to pull this off.

I don't understand why they haven't done anything publicly yet.. Like an interview or a tv show or ANYTHING. They are going on a tour they have to!

I don't understand why they haven't done anything publicly yet.. Like an interview or a tv show or ANYTHING. They are going on a tour they have to!

I'm sure they'll be building up. January is a dead month for media anyways, everyone's chilling after the holidays burn them out.

I definitely think they'll perform on the Grammys. LOTS of people watch that, so it would be a great place to stage their comeback.

Pick up as if nothing even happened. Back in the 80's and early 90's sometimes it took a year for an album to take off. Time for them to pull this off.

this aint the 90s if it dont take off after 30 days forget bout it lol

I've been thinking about this quite a bit, but dammit if OP didn't steal my ideas... I think they should go full blast with media, because I bet a lot of people have no clue about Dos and Tre

But come on...If anyone can do it it's gonna be Green Day.

Someone forgets that American Idiot's biggest successes came well after its release. BOBD wasn't released until late November, and Wake Me Up not until summer 2005. 2005 was a huge year for American Idiot's success. There's still plenty of time for the band to make a nice big splash with all these new songs.

Someone forgets that American Idiot's biggest successes came well after its release. BOBD wasn't released until late November, and Wake Me Up not until summer 2005. 2005 was a huge year for American Idiot's success. There's still plenty of time for the band to make a nice big splash with all these new songs.

Exactly. Rob Cavallo said something similar in the movie One One Nine Four. Dookie wasn't the overnight success everyone thinks it was, it was a slow grind until "Longview" really caught on. Then they released a steady stream of singles to keep the fire going.

There have been a lot of radio hits lately that were released a long time ago. Like that song Home by Philip Phillips is like waaaaaaay old but got huge after the Olympics and now it's on every station all the time and every commercial on TV. The trilogy has potential to succeed at any point, but it will take some luck and THE RIGHT CHOICE OF SONG AND PROMO. I really don't think having random songs play in the background on ESPN does anything. What makes sense is having ONE SONG played over and over during a high-profile event. Like if X-Kid became the opening sounds of the NFL playoffs. Hearing the bassline of Stray Heart in the background of a Sportscenter highlight reel does almost no service to the band.

Granted, if Twilight couldn't succeed at even decent support for the band, what hope is there?

There have been a lot of radio hits lately that were released a long time ago. Like that song Home by Philip Phillips is like waaaaaaay old but got huge after the Olympics and now it's on every station all the time and every commercial on TV. The trilogy has potential to succeed at any point, but it will take some luck and THE RIGHT CHOICE OF SONG. I really don't think having random songs play in the background on ESPN does anything. What makes sense is having ONE SONG played over and over during a high-profile event. Like if X-Kid became the opening sounds of the NFL playoffs. Hearing the bassline of Stray Heart in the background of a Sportscenter highlight reel does almost no service to the band.

Playing the singles period would help out the band. Needless to say, they have their work cut out for them when they come back out into the world.

I don't think any of these albums will "take off" though. American Idiot's singles were very radio-friendly and everyone was into rock/pop-rock music back in 2004-2005. These new albums aren't commercial at all and electro-pop artists are taking over the charts at the moment.

I could be wrong, idk.

They will probably release radio singles for DOS and TRE, and music videos to accompany those singles. I'm not sure how they'll handle the rehab situation, I'd rather it if they just forget about it and move on and focused on promoting DOS, TRE, and announcing more tour dates.

They are not going to forget about the rehab thing because the media is not gonna let it go. Seriously, every single Green Day article after the incident mentions it.

I don't think any of these albums will "take off" though. American Idiot's singles were very radio-friendly and everyone was into rock/pop-rock music back in 2004-2005. These new albums aren't commercial at all and electro-pop artists are taking over the charts at the moment.

I could be wrong, idk.

Sad to say this is probably going to be the case. I can remain doubtfully hopeful though. But yeah, I can't think of one legit rock band song on mainstream radio right now. Not... one? Hmph. Even the bands whose albums seemed to have done well this past fall, like The Killers and Muse... it's not like their music is played on Top 40 either so far.

I could be wrong, idk.

There's plenty of songs that are incredibly radio-friendly and very catchy. I really think Stray Heart and Lazy Bones could be really big songs with the right promotion.

someone clearly doesn't know what "lol" means...

and also AI came out in 2004 a much different than 2012 in music industry...

but in MOST cases labels give up marketing a album after a month or two I know from experience and there are always exceptions to that...

someone clearly doesn't know what "lol" means...

and also AI came out in 2004 a much different than 2012 in music industry...

but in MOST cases labels give up marketing a album after a month or two I know from experience and there are always exceptions to that...

I forget that White Tim is the inside man! Although I didn't recognize you with the new avatar. But change is good!

I forget that White Tim is the inside man! Although I didn't recognize you with the new avatar. But change is good!

well not inside as far as GD but with labels and such yeah I have experience with other artists

I definitely think they'll perform on the Grammys. LOTS of people watch that, so it would be a great place to stage their comeback.

But will they be invited to perform in the Grammy's? that is the question.. I highly doubt it as they would rather have top 40 people on.. unfortunately for GD fans.

Archived