January 14 on WXOU - Green Day Spectacular ¡Tre!

Brian Gag

i0tVC.jpg

January 14 will bring a very special two-hour Green Day celebration, put on by Luke "Diamond" Phillips and myself. Here's a link to a rather large poster for the show.

For those of you who weren't there for the first two back in 2011, or for those of you who were there and forgot, here's pretty much the show in a nutshell:

Luke and I are a couple volunteer college radio DJ's. We don't get paid for what we do, and we're on a non-profit station. We do it because we love it. And for two hours, we're going to play not just Green Day tunes, but Green Day-related tunes. Get ready for the Network, Foxboro Hot Tubs, Pinhead Gunpowder, the Frustrators, the Boo and more.

Did Green Day cover another band's song? We might play the original.

Did another band cover a Green Day song? You bet that's getting played.

Was a member of Green Day involved in another band's song? You're going to hear it.

All the while, you can tweet @wxou and text 1-248-838-WXOU (9968).

In the 120 minutes allotted to us, we're going to attempt to cram in as many Green Day and Green Day-related tracks as possible. Between tunes, we'll be checking the texts and tweets, geeking out, and (dare I say it) having a blast.

GDA and GDC were both amazing at getting the word out for the first two specials, and for that I'm extremely grateful. I sincerely hope you'll help make this one just as awesome.

And it's never too early to get in some requests. Got any sort of GD or GD-related song you want to hear? Ask away in this very thread.

Thanks. I hope my shameless plug is in the right section of the forum.

By request, here's the website for the live stream:

http://www.wxou.org/listen/

Yet another edit! Someone asked me how they could tune into WXOU's live stream on mobile devices. I'm going to tackle the two most popular mobile options out there at the moment: Android-based devices and Apple's iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad.

Android: The free version of WinAmp for mobile devices will work handily. Open it, click the "Shoutcast" button, and search for WXOU. Alternately, you can click the "Shoutcast" button, scroll down to "manually enter URL," and enter one of the following:

http://wxou.oakland.edu:8000/listen.pls will take you to the high-quality stream

http://wxou.oakland.edu:8002/listen.pls will take you to a low-bandwidth stream

iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch: Admittedly I don't own an iDevice, but here's how it works as I understand it. Download the Shoutcast app and search for WXOU. Alternately, you can manually enter one of the two URLs above.

If anyone has any help for Blackberry / Windows Phone devices, let me know. I'll copy/paste it into this post so everything stayss at the top of the page.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The aforementioned Luke "Diamond" Phillips from Frampton's Watermelon here! Brian and I are really excited to do this broadcast again and hope everybody who can tunes in!! I think I'm most looking forward to really diving into the GD deep cuts here. Vague revelation: I just acquired a certain rare EP featuring a certain Green Day member over the holiday break, and you bet I'm going to play a cut from it.

What I'm most excited about, however, is interacting with all my fellow GD fans! If anyone has any suggestions for content for this broadcast, or any kind of song request, please feel free to let us know in a reply!

Also interesting and of note -- our airdate is a year and a day after the announcement that Lookout! Records shut its doors, so expect some kind of tribute in rememberance. We'll catch you over the airwaves then!

Also interesting and of note -- our airdate is a year and a day after the announcement that Lookout! Records shut its doors, so expect some kind of tribute in rememberance. We'll catch you over the airwaves then!

It's also a day before the original release date of ¡Tre!

I wouldn't mind hearing that Sam Cooke song that Brutal Love was 'lifted' from... just to tie in some eclectic Trilogy inspiration! Or maybe another song with that Stray Heart bassline, if we're getting creative and have an "inspirations" section of whatever type. Would be kinda cool!

Lookin' forward to it, the last one(s) were great! Are they available online or to download anywhere? I would LOVE to hear them again or have them as an mp3 somehow!

Lookin' forward to it, the last one(s) were great! Are they available online or to download anywhere? I would LOVE to hear them again or have them as an mp3 somehow!

Thanks for listening. Those shows wouldn't have been what they were without the incredibly awesome listening audience.

I'd love to make the first two shows available online. But I have a feeling several record labels, the RIAA, ASCAP and BMI would prefer I didn't. And all of those groups have lots of lawyers who throw around words like "infringement" and "punitive damages."

Meanwhile I got excited today upon realizing I had two more dollars than I previously thought I did.

It really sucks, but due to station rules and copyright laws, I cannot.

Thanks for listening. Those shows wouldn't have been what they were without the incredibly awesome listening audience.

I'd love to make the first two shows available online. But I have a feeling several record labels, the RIAA, ASCAP and BMI would prefer I didn't. And all of those groups have lots of lawyers who throw around words like "infringement" and "punitive damages."

Meanwhile I got excited today upon realizing I had two more dollars than I previously thought I did.

It really sucks, but due to station rules and copyright laws, I cannot.

Aww, bummer, but I understand. (Can't these things be available "Streaming"? On soundcloud or something but not for download? I don't really know much about this, and you obviously do, so ignore me.)

It'd be cool to just hear your discussions/commentaries/analysis of the songs and then I can just play them myself or check them out on youtube. But I imagine it would be quite a hassle to cut out the music. =/

Does the stream work in Germany? If so, I might tune in. ;)

Our stream should work regardless of country! We're world wide baby!

Well maybe Alison, which Billie Joe played together with Elvis Costello, would be nice to hear on the radio that day! :)

"Oh come on Mr. Frampton, you're not gonna eat all this watermelon" ;)

Sorry for the off-topic post but that is one legendary reference :lol:

Cool! I like you guys! It was so much fun to listen to the shows dedicated to GD last time! :D Looking forward to hear you again.

Maybe you could play some live songs, little bits of fun interviews or something (but maybe not the ones on BIAB/AAF) ... I know there are a few really good quality bootlegs around, and I haven't heard them in a while!

Just for everyone's convenience, here is the direct link to access our webstream! WXOU runs 24/7 - 365, so feel free to listen whenever!

http://www.wxou.org/listen/

Would you mind adding this to the OP so I don't have to search for it on Monday at the last minute when I finally remember that I'm suppose to be listening? :)

Would you mind adding this to the OP so I don't have to search for it on Monday at the last minute when I finally remember that I'm suppose to be listening? :)

Done.

But I imagine it would be quite a hassle to cut out the music. =/

Not as big of a hassle as you might think. I'll see what I can do.

Well maybe Alison, which Billie Joe played together with Elvis Costello, would be nice to hear on the radio that day! :)

I liked the version of "No Action" they did together. I'm a big Costello fan.

*coughAreWeTheWaitingcough* ;)

There are so many versions of that song to choose from. I'll throw one on for you, but I can guarantee you it won't be the album version.

WOOP if i get to stay up that long, then i will listen to it all! (otherwise just an hour or something) I cant wait! :D

TyNrx.png

For those of you in different time zones, this should be a good hint. We're now 24 hours away, give or take. Adjust your time-telling devices accordingly.

For those of you who missed the last two Green Day shows, here's what we played:

November 7, 2011:

Brian's Untitled Radio Program:

• Iggy Pop ft. Green Day - Supermarket
  • The Moog Cookbook - Basket Case
  • Penelope Houston and Billie Joe Armstrong - Angel and the Jerk
  • The Influents - Simple Girls
  • Teenage Bottlerocket - Having a Blast
  • Rancid - Radio
  • The Foxboro Hot Tubs - Pedestrian
  • Green Day - Who Wrote Holden Caulfield?
  • Screeching Weasel - I Wrote Holden Caulfield
  • Caulfield - Where Are You, Holden Caulfield?
  • Green Day - I Was There
  • The Frustrators - Then She Walked Away
  • The Network - Hammer of the Gods
  • Green Day - When It's Time
  • Pinhead Gunpowder - 2nd Street

Frampton's Watermelon:

• The Network - Roshambo
  • Penelope Houston - New Day
  • The Lookouts - That Girl's from Outer Space
  • The Frustrators - AAA
  • The Foxboro Hot Tubs - Broadway
  • The Influents - Longest Nights
  • Weezer - Worry Rock
  • American Idiot Broadway Cast - Favorite Son
  • Hi Hi Puffy Ami Yumi - Basket Case
  • Pinhead Gunpowder - Kathleen
  • Dean Grey - Green Day Massacre
  • Green Day - The Ballad of Wilhelm Fink
  • Vitamin String Quartet - St. Jimmy
  • The Go-Go's - Unforgiven
  • Billie Joe Armstrong - Look for Love
  • Green Day - Going to Pasalacqua

November 28, 2011:

Brian's Untitled Radio Program:

• Santa Claws and the Naughty But Nice Orchestra - She
  • Green Day - King for a Day / Shout
  • Pinhead Gunpowder - Letter from an Old friend
  • Green Day - Christie Road
  • American Idiot Broadway Cast - Last of the American Girls / She's a Rebel
  • Frustrators - I Slept with Terry
  • Foxboro Hot Tubs - Mother Mary
  • Iggy Pop and Green Day - Private Hell
  • Green Day - Brain Stew (The Godzilla Remix)
  • Green Day - Like a Rolling Stone
  • The Network - Hungry Hungry Models
  • Ramones - Outsider
  • "Weird" Al Yankovic - Canadian Idiot
  • Green Day - Prosthetic Head
Frampton's Watermelon:
  • Green Day - One for the Razorbacks
  • American Idiot Broadway Cast - Too Much Too Soon
  • Foxboro Hot Tubs - Red Tide
  • Green Day - Scattered
  • Pinhead Gunpowder - Achin' To Be
  • Tre Cool - Food Around the Corner
  • Green Day - Rotting
  • Green Day - Huashinka (demo)
  • Green Day - Castaway
  • Green Day - Hearts Collide
  • Green Day - Westbound Sign
  • Green Day - Poprocks and Coke
  • Green Day - Viva la Gloria
  • Billie Joe Armstrong - Good Night New York

We don't mess around when it comes to the Green Day flavor.

I sure as hell will be listening! :D

My boyfriend and I got to know each other because of Green Day, we both love them so goddamn much! So it would be amazing if you could play a love-themed Green Day song, maybe When It's Time? But it's also awesome if you'd play a song from 39/Smooth, like 1,000 Hours or so. :3

Archived