Green Day and Weed

The Grateful Green

Obviously we all know how the band got their name, being they were heavily influenced by weed. But now that they are all 40 years old do you think they are still getting stoned all the time?

Is smoking still as much as an influence as it used to be to them?

Also, it seems to be that pot will be legal very soon in the US. I'm just surprised the band hasn't been more vocal about supporting the cause.

Just speaking what's on my mind, what do you think

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, the only thing that the band is related to weed now is their name, but they don't smoke weed anymore

I wouldn't say pot's close to being legal in the U.S. I live in Tennessee and if the old fat white males around here have anything to say about it that shit's going to stay illegal.

Green Day's probably not that bothered by its legal status though; if they want to smoke it, they obviously will.

Guest As Good As It Gets
I wouldn't say pot's close to being legal in the U.S. I live in Tennessee and if the old fat white males around here have anything to say about it that shit's going to stay illegal.

Green Day's probably not that bothered by its legal status though; if they want to smoke it, they obviously will.

Before this becomes a debate on whether cannabis will be legalized or not, I have one thing to say - every day that passes, a old guy dies and a few more kids turn 18 and become eligible to vote, if that's not incentive for cannabis to be legalized I'm not sure what is

Well I fully endorse weed and weed accessories gahd dangit..oh and green day!

Before this becomes a debate on whether cannabis will be legalized or not, I have one thing to say - every day that passes, a old guy dies and a few more kids turn 18 and become eligible to vote, if that's not incentive for cannabis to be legalized I'm not sure what is

Yeah, the kids are definitely wanting to happen. The dudes in my state's government? Not so much.

I really don't think weed affects Green Day that much at all though...

I remember in an interview with Billie, he said that if someone threw a bag of pot on stage, tre would want to dive right into to it, but they have to think about what they do and be responsible. Atleast I think.

I really don't care if they smoke or not. Just wondering why/when they decided they were done with it, and why they haven't been more open on the issue

Nah, i'd be surprised if they had all stopped for good. Not to say they do it all the time as they've all grown up and got kids and stuff, but I doubt they've stopped entirely. Even if it's just an occasional thing to wind down with.

No, the only thing that the band is related to weed now is their name, but they don't smoke weed anymore

oh really, i'd like to know how you know that.

As Tre would say... "Roll, roll, roll the joint, twist it at the ends, light it up and take a puff then pass it to your friends"...

Mike's made some vague references to recreational chemistry in his Instagram, hasn't he? I wonder if he does still get high.

Lol.. what do you know..

Mike's made some vague references to recreational chemistry in his Instagram, hasn't he? I wonder if he does still get high.

I totally forgot about that! He had a nug with some dr suess character on a plate haha

I'm sure they still smoke a joint occasionally but I don't think it's anywhere near as much as they did during the Dookie days.

...the lead singer is in rehab ffs.

Also, we have a marijuana thread in general. If this stumbles down the path of conversation about pot in general, it'll be closed up and the conversation directed over there.

The members of Green Day don't have a reason to stop smoking pot. It's a lot safer than cocaine and methamphetamine, which the band has experimented with. Billie did a 2009 or 2010 interview with Bill Maher and the topic of discussion got onto various types of bongs, so it's not far fetched to think Billie still smokes.

I'm sure that they would be more vocal about it but Billie's been in rehab for the stuff that can be harmful to your health as well and I guess they think that would look kinda strange to them maybe.

i thought that was more alcohol related?

No one's ever commented, but as pointed out a few times above, members of the band have made various comments about pot use that sure make it seem like they still partake of the ganja.

I feel like they still do it occasionally and think of it as something positive, but they've got so much on their plate nowadays that they don't have the time to get stoned and laze around like they used to.

Except Tre. That dude is baked as shit 24/7, 365.

i thought that was more alcohol related?

The band hasn't released an official statement so we don't really know. Everyone's assumed that it's alcohol related though.

The members of Green Day don't have a reason to stop smoking pot. It's a lot safer than cocaine and methamphetamine, which the band has experimented with. Billie did a 2009 or 2010 interview with Bill Maher and the topic of discussion got onto various types of bongs, so it's not far fetched to think Billie still smokes.

I think I've seen that interview. It's not ridiculous to think they still smoke. For some reason I feel like I've heard Tre or Mike mention that they still smoke weed, maybe when they were doing interviews for 21st Century Breakdown? I'm not sure. I think they've mentioned it though.

Archived