Dos should have been more stripped down, a la "garage rock"

Clayish

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my opinion, ¡Dos! is too polished & too clean to be considered as a garage rock record.

Some songs are built as garage songs: F*** Time, Makeout Party, Lady Cobra & Wow! That's Loud. Maybe Stray Heart could fill with a more noisy song and I agree Stop When Red Lights Flash could work.

I was expecting better when the band described the records.

But maybe the polished sound is due to the fact that the band is signed with a major label. Maybe the label refused a garage rock sound because it's Green Day and because the band is one of the bands who sells the more in the label.

C'mon man it's like when Green Day did Insaomniac it wasn't as PunkRock as Dookie but anyway it was Punk Rock

Dookie is not punk Insomniac is the most punk album they've done

Dookie is not punk Inspmniac us the most punk album they've done

????

Dookie is a punk record. Lifted straight out of the Berkeley scene man!

But yeah, in a traditional hardcore sense, Insomniac is the most punk sounding thing they've done. But in a traditional 70's punk sense and the East Bay punk sense Dookie is a punk rock record.

The studio quality of Green Day's albums need to stop surprising people and catching them off guard. This is the 21st century, recording equipment has improved dramatically in the past few decades, plus, Green Day has the money to use those very nice and modern studio equipment. This is why even the crappiest recording equipment of today will get you a better sound than what was on Dookie.

YES! They carried the over-production of 21st Century Breakdown, which I LOVED, to the trilogy, which I think is a bad move, especially when it comes to Dos, when it's supposed to be their most stripped down music.
Nothing against Butch Vig, but I hated the production on that album. It sounded too compressed to me. Going back to Cavallo was the right move, and the trilogy songs came out a lot more clean (in a good way). I really think it's apples to oranges comparing Breakdown and the trilogy.

They had to maintain some similarity between the 3 albums. Drastically changing DOS' production and sound would have made putting it in the center of the trilogy weird.

Nothing against Butch Vig, but I hated the production on that album. It sounded too compressed to me. Going back to Cavallo was the right move, and the trilogy songs came out a lot more clean (in a good way). I really think it's apples to oranges comparing Breakdown and the trilogy.

Yeah Vig and GD didnt mix well

I feel like maybe some people took Billie Joe's comments about garage rock a lot more seriously than he did. Whose fault is that? His or the fans? Both, in my opinion. He said something that he maybe shouldn't have and the fans already had an idea of what they wanted Dos to sound like so they couldn't actually enjoy it for what it is when it came out.

As for me, I don't mind the oveprolished sound it has. I quite like it actually.

I wasn't really shocked because I expected dos would sound like UNO just for consistencies sake. Production has definitely gotten better but that doesn't mean the band couldn't have articulated something different. I think the whole trilogy was way too polished particularly the vocals. As far as sounding punk, they never did. They were in the punk scene sure but even dookie isn't very punk rock, even seventies punk rock. Actually, dookie sounds more like the Beatles with an edge which is not a bad thing.

I really think it's apples to oranges comparing Breakdown and the trilogy.

I agree. I don't know about the technicalities of it but as far as I'm concerned 21st CB sounds quite compressed so you can't pick out the sound of each instrument and the vocals very well. Whereas on Dos/the trilogy the opposite is true, you can hear each instrument and the vocals clear as a bell, better than you can on any other Green Day album. And I love that! I can appreciate every single element of each song better than ever before and if that's what polished means I'm all for it.

I don't think that takes away from it being garage rock. It's garage because of the style of the music and lyrics, being able to hear that music and those lyrics clearly doesn't detract from the garage-ness. If it was compressed like 21st CB I'd have a problem with "overproduction". But when "overproduction" simply results in being able to hear everything going on in the song nice and clear? I have no problem with it. I think the style and lyric content of Dos is down and dirty and rock and roll with plenty of attitude and 60s style. It's garage enough for me.

First of all, how is 21st Century Breakdown over-produced? I can't hear any over-production. Also, the garage rock songs are about half of the album, Fuck Time, Stop When the Red Lights Flash, Wild One, Makeout Party, Stray Heart, Lady Cobra, and Wow, That's Loud. The other half is traditional Green Day pop punk, sleazy hip hop, and acoustic songs. I think Dos is plenty garage-y and I didn't feel let down by it. The album I expected more from was Tre.

I agree. I don't know about the technicalities of it but as far as I'm concerned 21st CB sounds quite compressed so you can't pick out the sound of each instrument and the vocals very well. Whereas on Dos/the trilogy the opposite is true, you can hear each instrument and the vocals clear as a bell, better than you can on any other Green Day album. And I love that! I can appreciate every single element of each song better than ever before and if that's what polished means I'm all for it.

I don't think that takes away from it being garage rock. It's garage because of the style of the music and lyrics, being able to hear that music and those lyrics clearly doesn't detract from the garage-ness. If it was compressed like 21st CB I'd have a problem with "overproduction". But when "overproduction" simply results in being able to hear everything going on in the song nice and clear? I have no problem with it. I think the style and lyric content of Dos is down and dirty and rock and roll with plenty of attitude and 60s style. It's garage enough for me.

I don't have very much trouble hearing the different parts on 21st Century Breakdown. Most of the time on the trilogy, I can find a distinction between the different parts but not always, like on the pre-chorus for Stay the Night, I can't figure out what Mike is playing on the bass.

I don't have very much trouble hearing the different parts on 21st Century Breakdown. Most of the time on the trilogy, I can find a distinction between the different parts but not always, like on the pre-chorus for Stay the Night, I can't figure out what Mike is playing on the bass.

I wouldn't say I have trouble with it (it's my second favourite Green Day album after the Trilogy), but I think the style of the production is just different. The songs have more of a stadium rock vibe where the guitar is the main focus and the rest is more of a backing, with the sounds of the different instruments and the vocals more mixed together. I'd say the same is true for American Idiot to a lesser extent too, that type of production just goes along with the stadium rock sound that's present on those albums. Whereas on the Trilogy things are much cleaner and clearer and more separate, which I think fits the style of these albums perfectly. Both types of production work for the albums they were used on I think.

Dos needs more saxophone. That's all I'll say.

Everything needs a little saxSEXophone.

When Billie Joe said foxboroish, I thought he meant foxboroish not foxboroish

If you know what I mean..... :eyebrows:

First of all, how is 21st Century Breakdown over-produced? I can't hear any over-production. Also, the garage rock songs are about half of the album, Fuck Time, Stop When the Red Lights Flash, Wild One, Makeout Party, Stray Heart, Lady Cobra, and Wow, That's Loud. The other half is traditional Green Day pop punk, sleazy hip hop, and acoustic songs. I think Dos is plenty garage-y and I didn't feel let down by it. The album I expected more from was Tre.

Until about 2 weeks ago I would have disagreed with you, as I thougt 21st was overproduced as well. But, I listen to all of Green Days discography about 2 weeks and realized that the album sounds top notch. I think many just got a bad download if they did download it. Or some just haven't listened to it in a while.

Personally, I think the trilogy MAY have benefited with some heavier guitar tones going on, but that's just a possibility. It may have sucked a lot more! I leave it up to them.

When Billie Joe said foxboroish, I thought he meant foxboroish not foxboroish

If you know what I mean..... :eyebrows:

hmm, I don't :lol: But, he also said it was basicaly the second FBHT album... That's what got me really psyched about it!

I wouldn't call it Foxboro's second album. Some songs sound similar to what they did on Stop, Drop & Roll; but not that much. I guess it's because is a Green Day album, and not Foxboro Hot Tubs' :P And their record has been more spontaneous than DOS; which I think it took more time to finish.

To me it's allright the way it is :)

Archived