Dos should have been more stripped down, a la "garage rock"

Clayish

When Billie Joe said that Dos was going to be very "garagey" and the sequel to FBHT, I was expecting a lot more.

The only garage sounding moments were the solo in "Fuck TIme", Makeout Party, Baby Eyes and Wow! That's Loud.

Am I the only that feels that way? Honestly surprised to see the other tracks on the album there.

I would have loved to see more psychedelic shit found on "Stop, Drop, and Roll!!!" on here, but sadly, that was only loosely found on Wow! That's Loud!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's still garagy, it's just different eras of that style of music. And Baby Eyes is far from garage rock. The sound is a little too polished, but overall I think it works.

It's too polished

YES!

They carried the over-production of 21st Century Breakdown, which I LOVED, to the trilogy, which I think is a bad move, especially when it comes to Dos, when it's supposed to be their most stripped down music.

I'm sorry, I don't know how much more stripped down you can get with Green Day than ONLY TWO RHYTHM GUITAR TRACKS. I mean, you could only have one guitar playing everything (rhythm parts, solos, the whole nine yards), but that would sound too hollow and hollow's not the band's forté. And as for the "polished" and "over-produced" sound of the record(s), that can simply be attributed to Chris Lord-Alge's mixing style. He just likes to mix big. Nothing wrong with that.

But nonetheless, the music sounds plenty garagey! Stray Heart's very vintage, same with Stop When The Red Lights Flash. How about Wild One, which is something you'd expect to hear at a 1950's Sadie Hawkins dance. And you can't get much more vintage and bluesy than Lady Cobra! That song's basically a Chuck Berry song on steroids!! True, there are a couple not-very-vintage songs like Baby Eyes, Ashley, and Nightlife, but overall, it's very vintage and garage-rock.

And also keep in mind Billie was talking about it being "garage rock sounding" in relation to the other two records, so in that respect, he's right.

Lady Cobra, IMO. There's something about the quality of BJA's voice even, that sounds fuzzy and unfinished. In a good way.

I really think the production is much better on the trilogy than on 21CB, but you guys are right. It's like loosely described as garage rock, I guess, would be cool if there was more, but it is put together to best fit the theme.

I think this applies more so to Uno. Dos could have been much more raw, but it was fine where it was. If I could have changed anything in this trilogy it would have been Uno's mix, not songs. It was a bit over produced. Again, I don't think they should have gone with Rob for this one. He's too close to the band and has worked with them on way to much to allow them to branch out more.

That really would have just changed Dos from "tacky" to "trying too hard to be tacky."

As I see it there's a big pool of classic Green Day pop-punk tunes that are distributed throughout the three records, and then some characteristic songs from each of them, creating the "themes" of the records. So every song on iDos! doesn't have to be garage rock in order for the record to be persistant to its theme. I do agree though, that the only song that sounds like it could've been on Stop, Drop And Roll is 'Wow! That's Loud', perhaps partially 'Fuck Time' and 'Makeout Party'.

You really can't shut up about how much you dislike ¡Dos! can you. :P

(No insult intended)

Feed back, vocal filters, bass fuzz, our boy Billie Joe practically spitting out every lyric, and sections of total chaos (last minutes of Wow! That's Loud and the solo in Lady Cobra) lead me to say that it is MORE garage-y than Stop, Drop, and Roll!!!. But that's just me. I think Dos! is Green Day at their most creative and brutal, and I like it.

I don't think the difference between Dos and Stop, Drop & Roll lies in the polished nature, or the fact that it wasn't 'stripped down' (which it was; SD&R had plenty of interesting accompaniments). The albums are just in two different genres. I'd class Dos as a culmination of Garage Rock over the past few decades, while I'd call SD&R more of a 60s Rock n' Roll record.

You really can't shut up about how much you dislike ¡Dos! can you. :P

(No insult intended)

Muahar, to me Dos ist still the best album of the trilogy. But I also do think it´s too "clean".

I really could care less about production and all that shit (aslong as it's good quality obviously) Honestly, I don't like the FBHT record, oh wait, sorry. I like 2 songs "Highway 1" and "Stop, Drop and Roll" When Billie announced it was gonna sound like FBHT, I was gutted (bought the album, like the good fan I am :P) and I loved it, there's something rocking and balls-out about it. SWTRLF and Lady Cobra are the most garage-y sounding songs on there, for me anyways.

Ring up the boys and tell them that.. they would love to hear id say :P

Yea well Stop Drop and Roll had songs that were too simple for Green Day. It has to be more meaningful, more complexed..

Since Nimrod there's no album in which all songs sound similar, and I think it's much better this way.

C'mon man it's like when Green Day did Insaomniac it wasn't as PunkRock as Dookie but anyway it was Punk Rock

they should have recorded the full album on a 4 track like they did with Dark Side Of Night! :D

I agree, I think it was somehow overproduced (too polished as Cameron said) and there wasn't enough "noise" going on XD

I still love it! But not even close to the way I love Stop Drop and Roll!

Archived