Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

GDC's Valentine's Day TRILOGY (2013 - Volume 3)

• Please log in to reply
493 replies to this topic

Lauren

Lauren
  • no te preocupes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,978 posts
  • Joined Jun 21, 2006
  • 3,698 rep

POPULAR

GDC's Valentine's Day TRILOGY (2013 - Volume 3)

***Please keep checking back as this post will be edited frequently***

Update #1 - Tips on how to record cheaply (to be updated)

Update #2 - The "Quit Your Freaking Whining" Update: I talk about how to properly claim songs so I don't get confused, Dos and Tre, n00bz, and why I let everyone participate

Update #3 - OMG, SHUT UP!!! New songs WILL be added! (but don't claim them until they are!) 

Update #4 - I added a disclaimer below. Please read before submitting a song.

Update #5 - I changed my email from my personal one to a new one just for these albums. gdcalbums@gmail.com

Update #6 - I just bought Dos and Tre, so you can all now calm yourselves.

Update #7 - If you are willing to collaborate with people, let me know. This will help out people who can only sing or only play an instrument, but really want to participate!

YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE TO FOLLOW ALL RULES, WHETHER ON THIS POST OR AN UPDATE ABOVE. IT IS NOT MY FAULT IF YOU CAN'T READ.

--------------------------

For those of you who have been on GDC for a while, perhaps you remember the GDC Valentine's Day albums I complied in 2010 and 2011. To inform all y'all n00bs, this was a chance for musicians on GDC to record Green Day covers. I compiled all the songs into an album and put it up for a free download. It was a pretty fun project, and I'm bringing it back this year.

In 2011, I put the album up a month late, and I said I wouldn't do that the next year. Well, I didn't put it up a month late the next year... in fact, I didn't do it at all! So I want to make up for that.

Just like Green Day, we will be making a TRILOGY!!!

TRI.

LO.

GY.

!!!!

In previous years, I only accepted love songs, but this year, it's different. The trilogy will be sort of a rough story line, just like Green Day's trilogy is. Uno is the album dedicated to when you first fall in love. It's all those lovey-dovey, lusty, honeymoon phase, sappy crap type songs. Dos is when things start to change. You lose your original feelings and start to notice the bad in that person. It will be angry hate songs. Then, Tre will be when you realize love has it's ups and downs, and it's not always perfect. Those are the songs about love that aren't necessarily angry nor super happy/lusty.

This should be fun!!! So here are the rules if you want to participate:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

DA RULEZ

YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE TO FOLLOW ALL RULES, WHETHER ON THIS POST OR AN UPDATE ABOVE. IT IS NOT MY FAULT IF YOU CAN'T READ.

I will put up EVERYONE'S submissions, as long as they meet these requirements:

-It MUST be a cover of a Green Day or Green Day side project band song (no originals or other band's songs!)

-It MUST be a song on the list below. If I forgot a song, just suggest it, BUT you CANNOT claim it until it appears on the list.

-It MUST contain vocals OR an instrumentation of the melody. It doesn't need to have singing, but without an instrument playing the melody, it's kind of boring!

-It MUST be in .mp3 (PREFERRED) or .aif (if you use Garage Band) format (this allows it to easily be played in iTunes and go on iPods or other mp3 players)

-You MUST (well, you really should) keep it a secret! Why ruin the surprise? Don't show any of us your song! Don't post it in this thread or anywhere else! It's more fun to listen to the whole album all at once! %5Burl=

-You can do more than one song, but you MUST only do ONE song per album (see details on this below, because there are exceptions)

-You MUST send it to me via email (gdcalbums@gmail.com ; subject "SONG - USERNAME(S)").

In the body of the email, please let me know who played what in the song. This helps with assembling the credits.

ONLY FOR SONG SUBMISSIONS! NO SONG CLAIMS WILL BE TAKEN FOR THESE METHODS (see next rule)

-YOU MUST CLAIM THE SONG IN THIS THREAD!! I WILL BE TAKING NO MORE CLAIMS OUTSIDE OF THIS THREAD. IT IS TOO FREAKING CONFUSING. 

-You MUST let me know the username(s) of who did the cover. I will put your band name, too, if you want. But all usernames are a must if they're on GDC.

-It MUST be submitted no later than Friday, February 8th, 2013 by 6 PM EST. This gives me the weekend to try my best and master it so the songs play together better, as well as email you if something needs to be fixed. IF YOU DO NOT SEND ME YOUR SONG BY THEN, YOUR SONG WILL BE RELEASED FOR SOMEONE ELSE TO DO.

SUPER IMPORTANT!!!

Please note by submitting a song, you agree to the disclaimer below:

***DISCLAIMER*** By submitting your song, you are giving me the right to use it however I want. This includes putting it on the album or anywhere else, whenever I want. That means I can put it up for download with the album, by itself, on YouTube, Soundcloud, on a physical CD, for promotional purposes, or any other reason I see fit. No need to be alarmed, though - I will NEVER make ANY money off of it, and I will ALWAYS give you credit - but if you change your username, it is not my fault: whatever username you use when you submit the song is the username that will be credited. Please note this disclaimer is not meant to scare you, it is just so that you can't come back in a few years and demand it be taken off the album and also so I can put it up on other sites so others can hear it easier. You are responsible for what you submit. If you think you are going to regret it later on, simply don't submit it.

Additional Tips & Information You Need To Know: 

You may team up with people to form bands. This is recommended if you want to do something other than acoustic or piano. It's also required for you to get someone else to sing on it if you're not going to sing yourself or play the melody on an instrument. HOWEVER, if you're forming a band, one of you MUST put together the song yourself before sending it to me. Do NOT send me separate files to have me put together as one song. I don't have the time.

Be creative! If you wanna change the genre to rap, metal, techno, country, or whatever, go ahead! You don't have to cover the songs exactly the way they're written.

I will upload the final version to be available for free download on Valentine's Day.

Jill (ifmemoryserves) will be making the album art. I think. I'll let you know if I need someone else to do it.

I mentioned you can do more than one song as long as it's on a different album. While that stands, please let everyone else have a chance to pick songs. I will allow people to pick a second song starting ten days after they choose their first song, and their third song starting ten days after they choose their second song. However, if by February 1st there are still unclaimed songs, you can pick your three starting then. Again, you can do a max of one song on Uno, one song on Dos, and one song on Tre.
Oh, and incase you were wondering, it does NOT count as one of your allowed songs if you're helping someone out by playing on their song. The allowed songs are songs by the same person and/or group of people. I really do want you helping people out if you can! %5Burl=

NOTE: If you want to collaborate, talk to that person directly, not to me. And then be sure to let me know as soon as you figure out who you're collaborating with.

Keep in mind, while I'll put up everyone's cover (as long as they follow the rules), please spare our ears and don't send me anything if you know you're bad. We're not expecting professional musicians and singers or professional quality, but try to at least make it somewhat decent. If you know your recording isn't going to be that great, consider asking someone who knows a lot about recording to help you EQ it to make it sound as good as it possibly can you'd be surprised how much of a difference it makes! Additionally, if you know you're not a great singer, consider teaming up with someone and having them do the vocals instead or just record the melody part on an instrument.

-----------------------------------------------------

List of songs (and who claimed them):

NOTE: Song classifications aren't final, so if you think a certain song should be on a certain album, let me know.

ANOTHER NOTE: New songs WILL be added. Check here often. I will add a few each day. Also follow @laurenbanjo AND @GDCforum on Twitter.

This will ensure you see the new songs as they are added. You CANNOT claim a song until it's up here!

(See Update #3)

¡UNO! (LOVE/LUST) (24):

1000 Hours (claimed by GerbilHaulic294)

2000 Lightyears Away (claimed by Katarina. & captain peroxide)

80 (claimed by captain peroxide)

8th Avenue Serenade (claimed by bollard_11)

Amy

At the Library (claimed by xxclandestinexx)

The Ballad of Wilhelm Fink (claimed by Drake Epoch)

Dry Ice

Don't Leave Me (claimed by La's Letterbomb)

Fell for You (claimed by Idiotic Tendency)

Going to Pasalacqua (claimed by Jimmy Strummer)

The Judge's Daughter (claimed by SnazzyPat)

Last Night on Earth (claimed by StPaul)

Last of the American Girls (claimed by Millicent Avenue)

Mother Mary (claimed by Kayfabe)

Oh Love (claimed by Platypus2000 & La's Letterbomb)

Only of You (claimed by Cob1994)

Paper Lanterns (claimed by gdgirl80 - NEEDS A SINGER!)

Poprocks & Coke (claimed by She is Amanda and momoluvgd)

Private Ale

She's a Saint, Not a Celebrity

Stop, Drop, and Roll!!! (claimed by Tabeeb)

Sweet 16 (claimed by  Reverie182)

The One I Want (claimed by Tman684)

¡Viva la Gloria! (claimed by Shish Taouk & Little Girl Little One)

When It's Time (claimed by Lúthien Tinúviel & Jack)

¡DOS! (HATE/REGRET) (18):

Chump (claimed by Whatsername =P)

Don't Wanna Fall in Love (claimed by Bronwennn)

F.O.D. (claimed by AndarB)

Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) (claimed by Jizz)

Ha Ha You're Dead (claimed by Alicia of Suburbia)

Horseshoes and Handgrenades (claimed by Peder Pedersen)

Jackass (claimed by AlexGulyan)

Letterbomb (claimed by Garet & Stefanobras)

Let Yourself Go (claimed by DookieBoy21 & Davis Weiss)

Nice Guys Finish Last 

Pieces of Truth

Platypus (I Hate You) (claimed by Austin_of_Suburbia)

Pulling Teeth (claimed by localinsomniac)

Reject (claimed by Wtzername & Jack)

Sick of Me (claimed by Lauren)

Stuart and the Ave. (claimed by Jack)

Take Back

Too Much Too Soon (claimed by captain peroxide & Shish Taouk)

¡TRE! (SOMEWHERE IN THE MIDDLE) (21):

Amanda

Church on Sunday (Claimed by Dancing Barefoot)

Cigarettes & Valentines (claimed by bobsinbobsled)

Extraordinary Girl (claimed by heatherela)

F**k Time

Give Me Novacaine (claimed by Tabeeb)

Haushinka (claimed by Jace Peterson)

In the End (claimed by JackInABox86)

Makeout Party

One For The Razorbacks (claimed by Céadóg)

Redundant (claimed by Tman684)

Roshambo

Sassafras Roots 

Scattered (claimed by creulcat)

See You Tonight (claimed by Idiotic Tendency)

She (claimed by Sam Smith & Jack)

Stay the Night (claimed by Matt Clark)

Stray Heart (claimed by AlexGulyan)

Sweet Children

Whatsername (claimed by StefanoBras)

When I Come Around (claimed by Panic Attack!)

Wild One

If your name is crossed out, it means I got everything I need from you, and you're good to go. %5Burl=

PEOPLE WILLING TO COLLABORATE WITH OTHER PEOPLE:

Check back later, I'll add people. Let me know if you can contribute!

P.S. IF YOU BRATS DON'T FOLLOW ALL OF MY RULES, I WILL HACK INTO ANDRES'S ACCOUNT AND BAN YOU ALL AND THEN GET BANNED FOR DOING SO AND THEN THERE WILL BE NO ALBUM AND ACTUALLY NO GDC BECAUSE ALL OF US ARE BANNED AND EVERYONE WILL HATE YOU AND DO YOU REALLY WANT EVERYONE TO HATE YOU? NO, I DIDN'T THINK SO. 

/powertrip

• Holly, Katarina., idc and 14 others like this

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 16,745 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 18,222 rep

Pretty sure She should probably be on there somewhere :P

Gaaaah, so many decisions, yet I want to get a good one before they're all gone :(

Marius Pontmercy

Marius Pontmercy
  • I FEEL MY SOUL ON FIRE

• 8,574 posts
  • Joined Aug 18, 2010
  • 3,535 rep

ALISON WHERE ARE YOU.

Can't wait to do this! 

• Little Girl Little One likes this

Lauren

Lauren
  • no te preocupes

• 14,978 posts
  • Joined Jun 21, 2006
  • 3,698 rep
Pretty sure She should probably be on there somewhere :P

Gaaaah, so many decisions, yet I want to get a good one before they're all gone :(

I had a hard time with She. I wasn't sure. I mean it's not really lovey-dovey, and it's like "scream at me until my ears bleed", but i don't really see it as a hate song, so i thought of putting it on tre, but I'm just not sure

Zack.

Zack.
  • #NOIDED

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,967 posts
  • Joined Apr 17, 2010
  • 1,922 rep

I want to do Ballad of Wilhelm Fink on Uno. That okay?

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 16,745 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 18,222 rep
I had a hard time with She. I wasn't sure. I mean it's not really lovey-dovey, and it's like "scream at me until my ears bleed", but i don't really see it as a hate song, so i thought of putting it on tre, but I'm just not sure

I always thought of it as a guy helping a girl through a rough time, and being supportive and taking shit as part of it. Like a less sugar coated One For The Razorbacks. Anyway, your list, your rules :P

Lauren

Lauren
  • no te preocupes

• 14,978 posts
  • Joined Jun 21, 2006
  • 3,698 rep
I want to do Ballad of Wilhelm Fink on Uno. That okay?

whoops forgot about that one! yeah you can do it.

it might be tre though, because it's not really lovey-dovey / lusty. no?

I always thought of it as a guy helping a girl through a rough time, and being supportive and taking shit as part of it. Like a less sugar coated One For The Razorbacks. Anyway, your list, your rules :P

that's true. i guess i'll put it up on tre then. 

it's so hard to classify these songs! 

Platypus2000

Platypus2000
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Joined Dec 09, 2012
  • 126 rep

I'm up for doing guitar covers of  "Oh Love" for Uno!,  "Horseshoes and Handgrenades" for Dos! and "Stay The Night" for Tre!

If you don't want to me to do all three that's fine, but I'd love to do one of them at least! :)

Ok, just read the bit below, can I claim "Oh Love" for now then please? :P

Zack.

Zack.
  • #NOIDED

• 3,967 posts
  • Joined Apr 17, 2010
  • 1,922 rep
whoops forgot about that one! yeah you can do it.

it might be tre though, because it's not really lovey-dovey / lusty. no?

that's true. i guess i'll put it up on tre then. 

it's so hard to classify these songs! 

I was just thinking it was kind of like the beginning of a relationship, not necessarily lusty but like just hanging out drinking past curfew and shit.

I don't really care where you put it though.

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 16,745 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 18,222 rep

Okay, I've got it down to a shortlist now. Not sure how I'm going to pick out of these though. I'll have to get back to you tomorrow :P

At The Library
Don't Leave Me
Going To Pasalacqua
When It's Time
Chump
One For The Razorbacks
Scattered

Lauren

Lauren
  • no te preocupes

• 14,978 posts
  • Joined Jun 21, 2006
  • 3,698 rep
I was just thinking it was kind of like the beginning of a relationship, not necessarily lusty but like just hanging out drinking past curfew and shit.

I don't really care where you put it though.

haha yeah right now people are just claiming them, there's still up until valentine's day to decide what goes where. most of it will have to do with how crowded one album is. if i have a lot more on tre, i'll move some to uno. because some really can go either way.

Okay, I've got it down to a shortlist now. Not sure how I'm going to pick out of these though. I'll have to get back to you tomorrow :P

just record one take rough cuts and see what you sound best on

I'm up for doing guitar covers of  "Oh Love" for Uno!,  "Horseshoes and Handgrenades" for Dos! and "Stay The Night" for Tre!

If you don't want to me to do all three that's fine, but I'd love to do one of them at least! :)

Ok, just read the bit below, can I claim "Oh Love" for now then please? :P

are you doing just guitar? you need to either have a singer or an instrument play the melody.

(and if by guitar cover you mean just play along with the track, no, you can't do that - we can't use any of the copyrighted music)

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 16,745 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 18,222 rep

I'll talk to my brother, he plays drums, and then I'll get back to you. He'd be up for any of those though. Might need someone to do a bassline for it though.

Marius Pontmercy

Marius Pontmercy
  • I FEEL MY SOUL ON FIRE

• 8,574 posts
  • Joined Aug 18, 2010
  • 3,535 rep

I'll be taking Viva La Gloria! I'll have to talk to Alison, but if she doesn't want to do it, I'll do it anyway. Multiple cello tracks, woo.

Can we do multiple songs if we're with other people? 

Lauren

Lauren
  • no te preocupes

• 14,978 posts
  • Joined Jun 21, 2006
  • 3,698 rep
I'll talk to my brother, he plays drums, and then I'll get back to you. He'd be up for any of those though. Might need someone to do a bassline for it though.

just play the guitar and transpose it an octave lower :lol:

you could also do midi.

or you don't need bass at all.

or use a piano.

or anything!

doesn't have to be identical to the original :)

I'll be taking Viva La Gloria! I'll have to talk to Alison, but if she doesn't want to do it, I'll do it anyway. Multiple cello tracks, woo.

Can we do multiple songs if we're with other people? 

you and your cello :lol:

read the post carefully ;)

Platypus2000

Platypus2000
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Joined Dec 09, 2012
  • 126 rep
haha yeah right now people are just claiming them, there's still up until valentine's day to decide what goes where. most of it will have to do with how crowded one album is. if i have a lot more on tre, i'll move some to uno. because some really can go either way.

are you doing just guitar? you need to either have a singer or an instrument play the melody.

(and if by guitar cover you mean just play along with the track, no, you can't do that - we can't use any of the copyrighted music)

Oh ok, do you mean the melody of the vocals? On an instument :P O, that makes sense, I understand that now :P I'll have to get back to you on that :L See if I can find people on here to form a band :)

Advertising

Marius Pontmercy

Marius Pontmercy
  • I FEEL MY SOUL ON FIRE

• 8,574 posts
  • Joined Aug 18, 2010
  • 3,535 rep
you and your cello :lol:

read the post carefully ;)

:D

RIGHT. Okay, gr8.

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 16,745 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 18,222 rep
just play the guitar and transpose it an octave lower :lol:

you could also do midi.

or you don't need bass at all.

or use a piano.

or anything!

doesn't have to be identical to the original :)

I was just going to downtune one of my guitars, haha. I'll record it and see how it sounds :P

If anyone needs some wanky real violin done, I'm up for it.

Lauren

Lauren
  • no te preocupes

• 14,978 posts
  • Joined Jun 21, 2006
  • 3,698 rep
Oh ok, do you mean the melody of the vocals? On an instument :P O, that makes sense, I understand that now :P I'll have to get back to you on that :L See if I can find people on here to form a band :)

yes. on one of the previous albums, someone who couldn't sing recorded a beautiful instrumental version of Redundant. She played the melody on the guitar. it was one of the best songs on the album!

so you don't NEED a singer, but we can't have just rhythm guitar, so either figure out the melody line or ask someone here to sing on it for you. :)

I was just going to downtune one of my guitars, haha. I'll record it and see how it sounds :P

i don't think your guitar would be playable if you downtune it a whole octave :lol: wouldn't the strings be way loose?

• Marius Pontmercy likes this

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 16,745 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 18,222 rep
i don't think your guitar would be playable if you downtune it a whole octave :lol: wouldn't the strings be way loose?

Nah, it's a crappy old Fender Squier with tension that's way too high. Might not go a whole octave, just as low as I need :P

Marius Pontmercy

Marius Pontmercy
  • I FEEL MY SOUL ON FIRE

• 8,574 posts
  • Joined Aug 18, 2010
  • 3,535 rep

Just transpose the chords to the song! 

Platypus2000

Platypus2000
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Joined Dec 09, 2012
  • 126 rep
yes. on one of the previous albums, someone who couldn't sing recorded a beautiful instrumental version of Redundant. She played the melody on the guitar. it was one of the best songs on the album!

so you don't NEED a singer, but we can't have just rhythm guitar, so either figure out the melody line or ask someone here to sing on it for you. :)

Ok, no worries, I'll play around a bit and see if I can figure the melody line on guitar, if not. I'll be on the hunt for a singer on here :)

Vesper

Vesper
  • Sand Snake

• 17,882 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,538 rep

I'd quite like to sing When It's Time...

.... but I need someone to do the instrumentals/technical shit...

... and also need to decide if I have the balls to do it.... 

Panic Attack!

Panic Attack!
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Joined Mar 25, 2010
  • 311 rep

So how does this work?

I just say, hello I'd like to try out When I Come Around? :)

FatVince

FatVince
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Joined Dec 22, 2012
  • 118 rep

I really would like to do At The Library.

Lauren

Lauren
  • no te preocupes

• 14,978 posts
  • Joined Jun 21, 2006
  • 3,698 rep
Ok, no worries, I'll play around a bit and see if I can figure the melody line on guitar, if not. I'll be on the hunt for a singer on here :)

I posted that you need a singer in the OP, so people will easier be able to see it. I might be able to sing for you if you can get me a recording fast before I go away. I'm not really sure if I can sing Oh Love, but I can try

So how does this work?

I just say, hello I'd like to try out When I Come Around? :)

yep!

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 16,745 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 18,222 rep

Okay, for the moment, can you put me down for One For The Razorbacks? I have a few ideas about it :D

I'll let you know if I need a singer.

Platypus2000

Platypus2000
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Joined Dec 09, 2012
  • 126 rep
I posted that you need a singer in the OP, so people will easier be able to see it. I might be able to sing for you if you can get me a recording fast before I go away. I'm not really sure if I can sing Oh Love, but I can try

Ok, thank you. I can record a track for you. I can find a backing track and record the guitar over the top of it. If I can do that, would that be ok? and you can have a go with that? :)

Marius Pontmercy

Marius Pontmercy
  • I FEEL MY SOUL ON FIRE

• 8,574 posts
  • Joined Aug 18, 2010
  • 3,535 rep
I'd quite like to sing When It's Time...

.... but I need someone to do the instrumentals/technical shit...

... and also need to decide if I have the balls to do it.... 

Sure you do. Also, are you planning on doing the GD version or the AI Cast version with WMUWSE as the music?

Florence

Florence
  • Gotta Catch 'Em All

• 16,018 posts
  • Joined Dec 02, 2008
  • 14,992 rep

YAY :woot: :dance: the project is back!

Spoiler

Zack.

Zack.
  • #NOIDED

• 3,967 posts
  • Joined Apr 17, 2010
  • 1,922 rep

Actually,

Maybe I'll give World Vs. World a try.

Maybe.

I'll do a rough take when I get home on Sunday and see if you like it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users