Why is there so much hate for Green Day?

Todd

I don't understand why people could hate a band as awesome as Green Day when a band like Nickleback exists.

quoting my friend here " Green Day are the Nicklebacks of hard-ish rock" , he couldn't come up with an explanation for why he would say that :dry:

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a Green Day fan for 10 years I've basically heard it all.

"Green Day aren't 'real' music." Define real music? Green Day's music is as real as it gets.

"They sold out." That's debatable. But they had a big chance and they took it.. you cannot blame them for following their dreams God knows they paid their dues for long enough. They toured on their own for five years before signing to a label.. it's not like they played for like a year and then bailed.

"They're not Punk".. again debatable. They use be, but obviously they've decided to go a different path musically. Billie always said he wanted to be known as a songwriter more than anything. He's written some good songs with American Idiot and 21st CB.

"Emo fags".. not even gonna bother with that one.

People often say they should release more albums like Dookie, yet the same people bash Nickelback for sounding the same. It's like you can't win either way.

Green Day have been a band for over 23 years and won Grammys, sold over 70 million albums and have dozens of awards and a very loyal fan base. Fuck the haters.

Keep in mind, I only read the original post, but I know people who hate The Rolling Stones and The Who. I'm not a big Who fan myself, but I know plenty of people who do hate insanely popular bands. The only bands most people don't hate are The Beatles and Led Zeppelin, and there are still people who don't like them (I don't like The Beatles, for example). There's a lot of hate for Green Day because they're really popular, or were, however you want to look at it. People get tired of hearing about them and hearing their songs. And for whatever reason, when Green Day resurged, people equated tight pants and eyeliner with 'gay' and 'emo' and not rock n roll, despite the fact that respected bands like Metallica and The Misfits have been doing both for a very long time.

I strongly think that a lot of people hate Green Day right now because they're still around and relevant. The hate will probably subside for the most part once Green Day stops putting out music. My mom has told me a lot of people hated The Beatles when they first got popular for the same reasons people hate Green Day now.

Why is there so much hate for other bands? Like Nickleback? Nevermind, that's like comparing apples to shit.

I hate Green Day because they're stupid. BOOOOOOO

Seriously though, this is a weird thread, there isn't a single band in the world that's liked by everybody. Green Day is an easy target because of their history ("they sold out they're not punx anymore raaaaah") and because of the "edgy" image they had while being super popular around AI. There isn't a disproportionate amount of hate for Green Day, they're "hated" as much as any band.

also hating Nickelback is getting real old.

I think people just don't like Green Day because people are against 1-testicled drummers. 159% fact.

I had never ever heard of Nickelback till a few months ago and I've still never listened to them.

I hated Nickelback before it was cool!

Anyways when it comes to hate on Green Day, I think people don't listen to the lyrics properly i mean Billie's lyrics are amazing, but if your not really paying attention then you wouldn't notice, i think a lot of people just here a couple of power chords, and fast punkish drum beat and go 'oh not this shit again' i don't think people give it enough time or pay enough attention!

And i totally get that not everyone is gonna like Green Day, not everyone can like the same thing! Although to be honest but maybe its just me, i don't see a lot of hate for Green Day, i mean of course theirs the occasional person who doesn't like them and that but i wouldn't say their is a lot of hate against Green Day, and when their is i tend to just ignore it!

Anyways when it comes to hate on Green Day, I think people don't listen to the lyrics properly i mean Billie's lyrics are amazing, but if your not really paying attention then you wouldn't notice, i think a lot of people just here a couple of power chords, and fast punkish drum beat and go 'oh not this shit again' i don't think people give it enough time or pay enough attention!

Plus there is many many people outside US and UK who just don't speak English well enough to understand what Billie is singing and can't be bothered to look up the lyrics. Not everyone speaks good English.

Most of the people just pay too much attention to the melody, not the message coming from the lyrics :mellow: And Green Day's/ Billie Joe's statements are really worth being heard :ermm: and understood

Plus there is many many people outside US and UK who just don't speak English well enough to understand what Billie is singing and can't be bothered to look up the lyrics. Not everyone speaks good English.

Very true! I didn't think of that.

As a Green Day fan for 10 years I've basically heard it all.

"Green Day aren't 'real' music." Define real music? Green Day's music is as real as it gets.

"They sold out." That's debatable. But they had a big chance and they took it.. you cannot blame them for following their dreams God knows they paid their dues for long enough. They toured on their own for five years before signing to a label.. it's not like they played for like a year and then bailed.

"They're not Punk".. again debatable. They use be, but obviously they've decided to go a different path musically. Billie always said he wanted to be known as a songwriter more than anything. He's written some good songs with American Idiot and 21st CB.

"Emo fags".. not even gonna bother with that one.

People often say they should release more albums like Dookie, yet the same people bash Nickelback for sounding the same. It's like you can't win either way.

Green Day have been a band for over 23 years and won Grammys, sold over 70 million albums and have dozens of awards and a very loyal fan base. Fuck the haters.

Exactly i couldn't have said it any better ..Haters gonna hate ..and you can't please everyone...everone has different tastes in music and most of the things ppl say about green day arent true and the haters are just to ingorant to change there opinions

I hated Nickelback before it was cool!

And i totally get that not everyone is gonna like Green Day, not everyone can like the same thing! Although to be honest but maybe its just me, i don't see a lot of hate for Green Day, i mean of course theirs the occasional person who doesn't like them and that but i wouldn't say their is a lot of hate against Green Day, and when their is i tend to just ignore it!

yeah take a band like the beatles.. they are world famous and just when you think they are good enough for everyone to like them ..you meet someone that doesn't

Because they're a mainstream band and every mainstream band has haters.

Plus, people just suck. :P

Exactly i couldn't have said it any better ..Haters gonna hate ..and you can't please everyone...everone has different tastes in music and most of the things ppl say about green day arent true and the haters are just to ingorant to change there opinions

yeah take a band like the beatles.. they are world famous and just when you think they are good enough for everyone to like them ..you meet someone that doesn't

I know plenty of people that don't like the Beatles. I don't know why everyone thinks that their is no one that doesn't like the Beatles, they are a great band and everything, but still their only human not everyone can like them! Anyways the point i was trying to make was that i don't think a lot of people give Green Day the time, that's people that i know not everyone i don't speak on behalf of the nation or anything.

Very true! I didn't think of that.

Yeah :( sadly most people on my age here don't speak English and are used to remixed music they don't understand, so they think good music is the music you can dance to :S

Yeah :( sadly most people on my age here don't speak English and are used to remixed music they don't understand, so they think good music is the music you can dance to :S

That sucks :/ But at least you have places like the GDC to come and talk to people who do understand and like/love the music! :)

LOL cuz they're not punk rawk enuf duhhhhh! 11

green day makes catchy pop rock music and for some reason that's bad. Rock music always has to be complicated , groundbreaking but at the same time generic pop music gets praised.

And also its never not funny to make fun of nickleback (especially since the singer got engaged to avril lavigne) even thought they stick to a formula like green day but at least gd try to do something else/experiment unlike nickleback. I mean I will always laugh whenever i see a ramen noodle haired chad kroeger :lol:

When I was in school I use to hang out with Punks, and one of them always use to say how he hate Green Day and he think they wannabes (he said AI ruined them) sometimes he use to make me laugh but sometimes he get on my nurves and I use to chase him with a chair :lol:

I don't really think there is a lot of hate for Green Day, especially when compared to some other mainstream artists.

Some people on here seem intent on working out why everyone else doesn't love green day like they do. Face it, it's not for everyone. Some people aren't that into music. Some people just don't like rock music. Some people like rock music with a bit more complexity. Some people don't care for over-analysing lyrics (myself included).

Green Day are a great band with lots of good/great songs but like any band or artist, it's not for everyone. Being popular also makes anyone a target, so I really wouldn't start worrying about some YouTube comment either.

Hating nickelback is getting old so unless you have heard more songs other then Rockstar and Photograph your argument is invalid. Green Day is hated for being relevant end of story. Being sold out is not really a bad thing, they followed their dreams. If anything can should be considered fucking role models. If you don't like the band then don't like the band man just leave your comments to yourself because they're people who enjoy different music then you do. Just because you said you hate my favorite band doesn't mean your opinion is valued or even paid attention to.

Because they're a horrible band that makes shitty, watered down pop music for teenage girls. 2edgy4u

Because they're a horrible band that makes shitty, watered down pop music for teenage girls. 2edgy4u

Ehm, WTF!?!?!? :shok::wacko::huh:

Archived