Why is there so much hate for Green Day?

Todd

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my fondest high school memories was when this one girl asked my best friend why we "listened to such poser ass bands." We laughed and started making fun of Green Day until she got uncomfortable with our sarcasm.

I'm not the kind of person who thinks Green Day can do no wrong, but I do get the impression that this band just can't win, even with their own fans. Before the trilogy it was "fuck the political songs, sing about simple things again!" but when they did that, it was "bring back the political lyrics! The songs have no meaning anymore!"

They wanted Billie to sing about the same things he sang about on Dookie, but now it's happened they're calling him immature and too old for that. They want a Dookie II but then they complain that the band have repeated themselves.

I don't think it's even the music or the attitude, they get what they ask for and still find something wrong with it. It probably is based on silly things like eyeliner and clothing.

I'm not the kind of person who thinks Green Day can do no wrong, but I do get the impression that this band just can't win, even with their own fans. Before the trilogy it was "fuck the political songs, sing about simple things again!" but when they did that, it was "bring back the political lyrics! The songs have no meaning anymore!"

They wanted Billie to sing about the same things he sang about on Dookie, but now it's happened they're calling him immature and too old for that. They want a Dookie II but then they complain that the band have repeated themselves.

I don't think it's even the music or the attitude, they get what they ask for and still find something wrong with it. It probably is based on silly things like eyeliner and clothing.

Best answer.

If you feel that there is much hate against GD, imagine how a Nickelback fan feels every time a douche says everything they say sucks when they've only heard 4 songs a few times on the radio.

I think there are people who hate every band, but we notice how many people hate Green Day because we're fans. There does seem a lot of controversy surrounding them with the whole "punk or not, sellout or not" debate which I couldn't give two fucks about, but other than that, I don't know of any specific reasons for GD hate. The same reasons people hate any other public band/figure, I guess. People don't like that they're opinionated, or they don't like their image, or they just don't like their music.

People also use the excuse that all their songs sound the same. But then this just shows how little they actually know, since GD has the widest range of sounds with each album sounding completely different to the last, especially in the new albums.

If you feel that there is much hate against GD, imagine how a Nickelback fan feels every time a douche says everything they say sucks when they've only heard 4 songs a few times on the radio.
Stop it, you're gonna make me think about Coldplay and then I'll cry.

One of the most common "reasons" I hear is "they only play 3 chords", which of course isn't true. Look I know Green Day's not the most musically complex band in the world, but they don't need to be. They are fine musicians and BJ is one of the greatest songwriters ever.

The only thing you can do is keep on going to Green Day tours and telling these hipster pop listeners to F.O.D.

Only just realised what F.O.D stands for...haha.

I have this kid in my class. As soon as he figured out I'm a Green Day fan he started hating on them whenever I was around. Then I realized the only songs he'd heard before that were 21 Guns and Wake Me Up When September Ends. Now, of course these songs are awesome and meaningful, but to someone who only heard these two it's like "wow all of their songs are slow and long bla bla bla". So I sent him songs like Take Back, Platypus etc... and he doesn't do it anymore :D

I think this is the "modern" hate for Green Day. It's all about judgement. The hate that was for them before (and it still happens) is people who in the 90's who didn't want them to become so successful because suddenly their songs seem not as personal as before. That's what I think.

I have this kid in my class. As soon as he figured out I'm a Green Day fan he started hating on them whenever I was around. Then I realized the only songs he'd heard before that were 21 Guns and Wake Me Up When September Ends. Now, of course these songs are awesome and meaningful, but to someone who only heard these two it's like "wow all of their songs are slow and long bla bla bla". So I sent him songs like Take Back, Platypus etc... and he doesn't do it anymore :D

I think this is the "modern" hate for Green Day. It's all about judgement. The hate that was for them before (and it still happens) is people who in the 90's who didn't want them to become so successful because suddenly their songs seem not as personal as before. That's what I think.

This. As far as I know, the biggest controversy about them comes from songs like Wake Me Up and 21 Guns.

Stop it, you're gonna make me think about Coldplay and then I'll cry.
I cry when I think about Coldplay too.

Some people never listened Green Day, but they are saying that they are bad.

All the hate comes from

A: Punk purists (Dookie bummers)
B: People who love to hate on popular bands cause' it's "cool".
C: Stupid people

At first, the level of hate I witnessed on the internet and amongst certain people that I know bothered me. Then, I watched this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SNswv7rUMI

And this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS4vT_ym5og

Eighteen years after Dookie, eight years after American Idiot, three after 21CB and people are still rushing to get a glimpse of them. Everything and everyone has haters, dude. What matters is whether you have enough of a fan base to make up for it. And Green Day clearly do.

Because the media says that Green Day is a punk band, even though Green Day never said it themselves. Back in the gilman days Green Day didn't get to play there at first because Tim Yohannan thought they were to pop, then when Al Sobrante joined as their drummer they got to play there because Al played in a "real" punk band, too.

As Green Day comes from an underground punk scene the media considered them a punk band. Some of Green Day's songs are rock, some are punk rock, pop punk, pop and it's a big mix.

So my point is... Who the fuck gives a shit, you either like them or you don't. If people would just stop with all the "what genre is this?" and blah, blah, blah, just listen to the music you like whatever the genre is.

I never understand why punks deem bands as "sell outs." As a huge punk fan, our founding fathers, The Ramones and The Sex Pistols, were major sell outs. In fact, they might have invented selling out in the rock world. The Sex Pistols were a band that was created to market a clothing store for God's sake.
That's true. Isn't Johnny Rotten doing comercials nowadays? He's doing exactly what he considers un-punk, fuckig hypocrite.

I'm not a big fan of Nickelback's music but that doesn't mean they're bad. I'd say Nickelback is good at what they do and people judge them to hard, just like Green Day is considered wannabe a wannabe punk band Nickelback is considered a wannabe metal band. I seriously feel sorry for them.

I'm not a big fan of Nickelback's music but that doesn't mean they're bad. I'd say Nickelback is good at what they do and people judge them to hard, just like Green Day is considered wannabe a wannabe punk band Nickelback is considered a wannabe metal band. I seriously feel sorry for them.
since when have they been concidered metal? :mellow:

It's pop rock mostly..

since when have they been concidered metal? :mellow:

It's pop rock mostly..

Yeah, but I saw a documetary about the history of hard rock and they said the reason slot pf people doesn't like Nickelback is because of that.

Successful bands will always have a certain amount of hate directed towards them. There's a lot of keyboard warrior punks out there (I'm looking at you, Punknews.org users) who have a lot of bittnerness towards any band from the scene who dares to make a success out of themselves, the very same people who constantly feel the need to judge how 'punk' certain bands are. It's not exclusive to Green Day. I've seen many bands who were almost universally loved when they were on independant labels, but as soon as they cross over to the 'dark side', they are get branded sell-outs. A lot of it is down to jealousy, and some of it is down to the fact that a lot of people can't let go of the past. I'm not sure why so many of these people expect Green Day to sound like they did in 1994, they can't seem to get their heads around the idea that to survive in this industry, you need to evolve.

I think it might partially be down to the fans? Green Day seems to have attracted a very young fanbase compared with similar bands, and people just assume this is because the band has gone all soft (which obviously isn't the case).

The "xDDDD" ":PPPPP" ":DDDDD" sort of thing doesn't really help the fanbase out either.

Just take a few seconds and google some "hater's" keywords like : The Beatles suck, F*** Metallica...

Mix stuff like that and you'll see that the world is full of haters wherever whenever !

The more popular a band becomes the more haters they're gonna have. If you think of any popular band there's gonna be tonnes of people that hate them, and in turn people sat on their band forum asking why.

It does seem like Green Day receive more hate that your average band, I've spent the last eight years of my life being surrounded by people saying they're shit. Ask them why and they can't give you a reason. Even now, when my friends are twenty and (some of them) have an otherwise excellent taste in music, they ignorantly bash Green Day without knowing anything about them. It seems to be something that they've picked up as teenagers and can't seem to get over. They don't even know why they've picked it up. I think the opinions of the minority, who genuinely enjoyed Green Day's 'old music' but then thought they changed, managed to filter down into the minds of twelve year olds everywhere, who are now stuck with this opinion forever. Spreading it like a disease :lol: everyone loves to jump on the 'I hate Green Day' bandwagon.

Archived