Why is there so much hate for Green Day?

Todd

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most people who I know that rag on Green Day just rag on them because when they were little and Green Day was hella popular they pretended to love them and now they are embarrassed. Plus it's just not cool to like 'em anymore.

I think its because of the fact the they are a punk band that has had some really popular radio singles and have sold so many records. This means that they're losing two groups of people right there, the punk fans who think they're "not really punk" and are "sell outs", and the pop fans who think "their so old" and think "its not cool to like them" because they don't understand the idea of actually being fans of artists instead of songs. 90+% of people who say they hate Green Day have no real reason to and are just ignorant.

It really doesn't matter though because Green Day already has an awesome fan base. :D

It really doesn't matter though because Green Day already has an awesome fan base. :D

:bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny:

There are a ton of hate for every band, not just green day :P There will always be haters and you just gotta live with that

I was going to say something, but then I saw bacon. Mmmm bacon....... :bunny::runaround::dance:

Exactly. Ramones sold out big time

I never understand why punks deem bands as "sell outs." As a huge punk fan, our founding fathers, The Ramones and The Sex Pistols, were major sell outs. In fact, they might have invented selling out in the rock world. The Sex Pistols were a band that was created to market a clothing store for God's sake.

I think its because of the fact the they are a punk band that has had some really popular radio singles and have sold so many records. This means that they're losing two groups of people right there, the punk fans who think they're "not really punk" and are "sell outs", and the pop fans who think "their so old" and think "its not cool to like them" because they don't understand the idea of actually being fans of artists instead of songs. 90+% of people who say they hate Green Day have no real reason to and are just ignorant.

I like this the most so far, especially about being fans of the artists over songs. Most of the people I know who LOVE pop artists and the mainstream actually only love the singles of those artists, and rarely know the other tracks. Granted, those mainstream artists put out 5-6 singles for a 12 track album, but that still leaves the other half of their discography untouched by the majority of their "fan base". That's what makes the most obvious difference between Green Day and these mainstream label bands. If those groups put out even one bad song, they might lost their whole fanbase. If Green Day puts out a single (I don't know of any bad ones ;D) and It doesn't chart well, then nothing changes. Their fanbase doesn't die and shiver away into nothingness.

I do wish hacks like Kanye West would just stop, or at least take a break and listen to his own music, maybe it would help him.

On the real topic, it's all been said on here already. Some are embarrassed that they loved them when they were younger. Some loved them when they were young, and assume they had to outgrow them as they aged, which isn't true at all. Others are insecure and can't defy the mainstream culture and say they like this group. Still others just hate on them because their friends hate on them, and it's fun to make fun of them together.

I've asked tons of people why they don't like them, and I almost always get a child like answer such as "they're gay", "emo whiners", "sellouts", "only teens like them", things that are completely baseless and childish. The best answer I've ever gotten was "I just don't like their music", which is the most legitimate thing you will hear from a Green Day hater. Until they say "they sold out and conformed and became too pop", then you restart the cycle.

Most of the haters are people that only know Basket Case, AI and WMUWSE. Im not saying those are bad songs but in my opinion there are better songs than that. Also, there is the tipical hater that comes up with the statement "they are not punk anymore, they dont sound like Dookie" and shit like that. I particularly dont care about them. And then there is the other group that only hate them because of the American Idiot look and the guy liner, and the guy-kissing at the gigs calling them gay, faggots, etc.

Basically they dont focus on the music, just on the look...but at the end of the day, not everyone can love all the bands, so they can fuck off. :shy:

My friend Ambar once told me that she didn't like Green Day because "they're old" and it was music for "when we were kids." I told her to go listen to Longview and then tell me that this is music for kids.

I never understand why punks deem bands as "sell outs." As a huge punk fan, our founding fathers, The Ramones and The Sex Pistols, were major sell outs. In fact, they might have invented selling out in the rock world. The Sex Pistols were a band that was created to market a clothing store for God's sake.

Yup yup. And the Clash changed their sound early on (before they were officially "The Clash") because when they saw the Sex Pistols they realized it was the future of successful music.

In fact, to me the whole notion of being punk is a little hypocritical. You can't leave the scene because then you're a sell out, but if you're not standing for you're own opinion if its differing from the "punk crowd", then isn't that selling out too?

“The thing about punk is that there are purists. Once you start going outside of that, they don't think what you're doing is punk rock. “ – Billie Joe

Possibly one reason.

“The thing about punk is that there are purists. Once you start going outside of that, they don't think what you're doing is punk rock. “ – Billie Joe

Possibly one reason.

Definitely one reason. But those same people are just insecure and feel like they're offended when another band decides they want to do something different.

I think The Offspring put it best: "It's cool to hate."

That's the only reason I can think of. Something that brings so much joy to people? Ha! Let's hate it and try and make people angry.

I think The Offspring put it best: "It's cool to hate."

That's the only reason I can think of. Something that brings so much joy to people? Ha! Let's hate it and try and make people angry.

It's more about people trying to feel better and cooler about themselves.

Everybody has some insecurities but some more than others.

every band has haters is just the way it is

and far as punk stuff go i never really considered GD to be punk ::shrugs::

It's more about people trying to feel better and cooler about themselves.

Everybody has some insecurities but some more than others.

I don't get what one person's favorite band has to do with another person's personal insecurities

I don't get what one person's favorite band has to do with another person's personal insecurities

I never understood this either. I totally get when people don't like the same music as me, I just hate when they unnecessarily bash my bands.

Yup yup. And the Clash changed their sound early on (before they were officially "The Clash") because when they saw the Sex Pistols they realized it was the future of successful music.

In fact, to me the whole notion of being punk is a little hypocritical. You can't leave the scene because then you're a sell out, but if you're not standing for you're own opinion if its differing from the "punk crowd", then isn't that selling out too?

Being punk as depicted by the majority is hypocritical. Actual punks in reality, are not as accusatory as it is believed. I don't consider myself a punk by any means. I wear the patched jacket, pay attention to politics, listen to the music, and stand my ground in arguments and I fit in to the scene just fine. Knoxville, Tennessee, doesn't have a very hardcore punk scene at all, trust me, but the punks I have met here are a lot nicer and more accepting than the general stereotype. Of course, they joke around with me because I like Green Day, but in reality none of them really care because I listen to "actual" punk music as well and know what I'm talking about.

I imagine the scene is quite different in larger cities, especially California or New York, because there's more of a hardcore scene where people feel the need to blend in to the stereotypes. But here, punks are hypocritical. They just stand up to what they believe in while listening to a Dead Boys record.

every band has haters is just the way it is

and far as punk stuff go i never really considered GD to be punk ::shrugs::

Green Day was punk until the Dookie/Insomniac era came to a close. After that it morphed into a pop-rock with punk influence sound.

I mean when they choose not to like the band for every reason BESIDES the music because they're afraid of being ridiculed for it. I.E. basic insecurities.

Honestly, I know a lot of people who bitch about Green Day and hate them because it isn't Dookie and it isn't the 1990's anymore. Sorry, but times change.

I know a few people personally and I've read several things, in which individuals disapproved of the band and called them gay. The funny thing was they didn't even know their orientation and they just assumed that they were gay because of their eyeliner, the way they dress, etc.

People are ignorant. Their personal lives do not concern the general population.

I enjoy the music that they produce, the messages they get across, etc. I don't care if they like guys, girls, or whatever. To each his own.

I just think GD is an easy target. Every time they release an album, they're everywhere and some people just really hate that, so it's easy to hate on them. Also, some people are really bothered that every album after Dookie didn't sound like Dookie...the whole sold out crap. Some just don't want their bands to grow up and expand their sound, which hey let them listen to whatever they want. If it bothers you it's just best to ignore it.

Being punk as depicted by the majority is hypocritical. Actual punks in reality, are not as accusatory as it is believed. I don't consider myself a punk by any means. I wear the patched jacket, pay attention to politics, listen to the music, and stand my ground in arguments and I fit in to the scene just fine. Knoxville, Tennessee, doesn't have a very hardcore punk scene at all, trust me, but the punks I have met here are a lot nicer and more accepting than the general stereotype. Of course, they joke around with me because I like Green Day, but in reality none of them really care because I listen to "actual" punk music as well and know what I'm talking about.

I imagine the scene is quite different in larger cities, especially California or New York, because there's more of a hardcore scene where people feel the need to blend in to the stereotypes. But here, punks are hypocritical. They just stand up to what they believe in while listening to a Dead Boys record.

Green Day was punk until the Dookie/Insomniac era came to a close. After that it morphed into a pop-rock with punk influence sound.

Well I'm in the Bay Area, and most of the "punks" I've met are like the ones GD had to put up with. It's more of a fashion show now if anything, most are assholes and there's no real hardcore punk scene; most of the hardcore bands around here think they're metal anyways. A friend's girlfriend once told my band after a show that we were the first punk band she'd ever seen in my city (San Jose), so I think that speaks for itself as to the state of the scene around here. I know quite a few people who are building up a resilient punk pop scene, but that's focused on the music and on having fun, which is what I've always seen as the intentions of punk rock anyways.

And I disagree with you, Green Day has always been punk because they've always done what they wanted musically. Most of their peers have done the same.

Archived