Why is there so much hate for Green Day?

Todd

It's those damn hipsters. Always hating on Green Day.

But seriously, I don't know why people tend to hate on them. The only thing I can think of...probably just jelly of Billie's stunning looks and their amazing music xD But whatever, it's their loss.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'cause people are stupid...if they did'nt like something ( that could be a band, a food o...anything else) they start to say bullshit

And many people who hates thinks Green Day is always riping off others artists. Sometimes, they find a similarity with a 70's Peruvian band and call it a rip-off.

I only wanna say to them that rip off doesn't exist 'cause there were, there are & there will be similarites between a specific song & another one.

I think the trilogy has proven that you don't need to look as far as 70's Peruvian music, since they've even managed to rip themselves off several times.

I know many people who say Green Day is too much mainstream, but they only know the radio stuff.

Or a few songs of 21 cb.

I don´t understand, why people say something like they hate a band. Nobody told them, they must listen to this music... :ermm:

but why we give a fuck,w know what green day is,we know for what they stand,i don't give a fuck when someone says somethin bout green day,cause i know that they just dont know,let the haters hate,with this thinking i maked peace with a belieber girl

but why we give a fuck,w know what green day is,we know for what they stand,i don't give a fuck when someone says somethin bout green day,cause i know that they just dont know,let the haters hate,with this thinking i maked peace with a belieber girl

Well, I sincerely can't stand when someone insults a band that has got me through so much, no matther if they know or not.

Offtopic note, I love the pic in your sig, if you don't mind could you upload the original pleaaaase?

I haven't noticed AS MUCH hate for Green Day.

Mostly, I get flamed for <333333 Nickelback <333 :( :(

But whatever. People gonna have opinions, therefore people are gonna hate.

In addition, maybe in the subconscious minds of haters, they hate Green Day because they are jealous of their talents :shifty:

I don't know, but if they hate on Green Day I'll take my time to throw shit at the haters' favorite music too if I feel like it :)

cause their hit songs r all ballads. People've false impression about them. For the punks they're pissing them too much n they are not part of thd scene anymore.

That's true. When I bring up Green Day with people who aren't fans they right away go 'oh are they the ones who sang boulevard of broken dreams and wake me up when september ends?' Because so many of their mainstream hits are all slow songs, people are led to believe that Green Day is nothing but some old punk band that sings slow ballads.

Another thing is that they lost a lot of their fans from Gilman when they became more well known and popular, especially when Dookie came out. Green Day was pretty much gven the label of another good band gone mainstream, so that took out a great deal of their fans and replaced them with haters. I'm pretty sure (correct me if I'm wrong) that Billie Joe wore a disguise going back to Gilman (at the time) because he was too scared to show himself.

It really is a shame such a great band has so many haters, but hey, they have a huge fan base too...so that's worth something :/

One of my friends actually asked me the other day why I like them so much. So i explained how they write fairly simple yet amazing songs that just blow my mind and that they are without a doubt one of the best if not the best bands live. He then turned to me and said "I hate them, and here's why. In American Idiot they created the character St. Jimmy and then killed him in the same album and for that reason I will always hate them."

"I got to say (friends name) that's kind of a stupid fucking reason to hate them so much."

I should probably get new friends...

One of my friends actually asked me the other day why I like them so much. So i explained how they write fairly simple yet amazing songs that just blow my mind and that they are without a doubt one of the best if not the best bands live. He then turned to me and said "I hate them, and here's why. In American Idiot they created the character St. Jimmy and then killed him in the same album and for that reason I will always hate them."

"I got to say (friends name) that's kind of a stupid fucking reason to hate them so much."

At least, he knows others things that the singles...

But it's probably the dumbest argument I've ever heard.

You're right. That person is just hating to hate. But at least your friend knows about St. Jimmy and the basic story behind it. Most of my conversation with my friends goes like this..or anyone I typically meet and get to talking about Green Day..if they "like" them of course..

me: "Yeah..so Green Day.."

other person: "Oh Green Day! They are such a great band!"

me: "Oh really? what's your favorite song?"

other person: they either say "Blvd. of Broken Dreams" or "21 Guns"

me: "Do you know any other songs?"

other person: *silence*

me: *walked the other way*

/offtopic ends here :P

Well, I sincerely can't stand when someone insults a band that has got me through so much, no matther if they know or not.

Offtopic note, I love the pic in your sig, if you don't mind could you upload the original pleaaaase?

sorry to wrote it here,so you mean the rally original picture or the one with the lettering?

sorry to wrote it here,so you mean the rally original picture or the one with the lettering?

The original one with no text :)

People don´t hate Green Day, they just say they do...

But you forgot about the most important thing:

GREEN DAY is a great band and we all know that!!! Fuck the haters

I don't understand why people could hate a band as awesome as Green Day when a band like Nickleback exists.

This x a billion!

Because all of their recent albums have not been a good enough effort to please anybody apart from real green day fans..... Truth sucks :P

I think as fans we often over-analyize why they are hated by others. It is really only the serious old-school punks who genuinely take issue with the fact that they signed to a major label hence the "sell out" comments. In my experience 99.99% of losers who I have met who scoff at the mention of Green Day have NEVER listened to an entire album and yet claim they "used to be ok" but "changed" and are now crap. When I ask when they changed and how they changed the response is always the same "They haven't been the same since Dookie" (obviously these folk have no issue with the major label thing or the popularity thing as GD had tonnes of casual fans during the Dookie time just like the AI phase). Then they ALWAYS bring up the eyeliner debate. They try to suggest that Billie and Tre "sold out" and became "part of the emo scene" or simply "what the fuck is with the eyeliner?" Now as a longterm GD fan I love to point out that both Billie and Tre were wearing eyeliner back in the Gilman days so what the fuck is with THEIR lack of historical knowledge since they are stuck in the past?! Also as a punk fan I always ask why do people have a problem with guys wearing eyeliner anyway? Is it homophobia? It certainly comes off that way...they have no issue with me wearing eyeliner during these debates (i've had many of these arguments and im always in eyeliner!). Finally I believe these people do not even listen to GD as they would/could skip randomly from Dookie to AI to Uno and barely notice the transition (obviously not talking KTDJ here but songs like Nuclear Family/LYG)...the guys if anything keep getting better. Haters gonna hate.

It seems that although Green Day has one of the largest fan bases, there are a ton of people that hate Green Day. Nobody hates The Who or The Rollingstones. I don't understand why people are pissy about Green Day. Even the people that just like rock, and don't care about punk or selling out, I just don't get it. Is it eyeliner?

Every succesful band has to deal with haters.

The way I see it it's much better to be hated than to be ignored...it means they stir feelings on people in one way or another...some like and some don't but no one is oblivious to them...and that's cool in my book!!!

I think that Green Day were really hated when they signed with Reprise and when they want mainstream. All the fans that likes them at Gilman thought that they betrayed them and punk wasn't mainstream.

I don't know why a lot of fans hate Green Day. They think that Green Day only exists since 2004 but they never listened to the old Stuff.

I will conclude with :

"Before hating a band, don't just listen to the new Stuff but listen to their old Stuff and di some reasearchs on them before judging them and hating on them".

I just hate that "mainstream" is synonomous with "bad" to so many of these poser bitches. Especially this hipster trend right now. If you know about it, they don't like it. Unless you are one of ten people at some shitty local show where this grou of 37 year olds is on their fourth tour for their 4th album , even though no one knows who the fuck they are and have absolutely no talent.

That's a bit cut and dry, but in my experience dealing with dozens of hipster kids this is how it usually goes.

Not to mention that eyeliner makes the eyes pop. In Billies case that's a very powerful thing, he just looks gorgeous with it ;) what can I say.

I just have one thing to say to haters: Listen to Dookie, Insomniac and/or Nimrod and then try to hate them.

I remember my friend saying she doesn't like Green Day cause of what they wear, the eyeliner especially but yet she likes Brandon Flowers from The Killers who wears ironically for her eyeliner. People who don't like GD always seem to contradict themselves :lol:

Archived