Why is there so much hate for Green Day?

Todd

I think it comes from "once they represented the dirty minority, and now they became the clean majority".

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe people just don't enjoy listening to them? haha that's a possibility

...noooooooo... never ever could this be the reason... don´t tell me.... *shakehead*

Who the fuck cares if they wear eyeliner? Right? All these people who say "they r emo cos they wear eyeliner nd skinny jeans" What the fuck? When I'm 40, I'd love to look as good as BIllie does, eyeliner or no eyeliner, there's no denying he looks good for his age. Another thing that annoys me is people who like Gtreen Day pretend not to like them because they know they're gonna get shit for it, it makes so "Grrrr, :angry "

...noooooooo... never ever could this be the reason... don´t tell me.... *shakehead*

It's partly that, and it's just partly because it's a trend to hate on them.

It's partly that, and it's just partly because it's a trend to hate on them.

... a trend...? Well, I think I prefer that people just don´t enjoy listening to them... Or maybe people just don´t find the right eyeliner... By the way, I think, BJ sometimes looks like Charly Chaplin, with the eyeliner and especially when he smiles. Just Chaplin. Billie Joe Chaplin. :D

They did get ridiculously big in American Idiot times, I mean they did a song with bloody U2, the most out of touch band in the world. A lot of it is down to the perception that their image is a construct. It is double standards obviously, unless you're also not a fan of The Beatles, The Clash, Bob Dylan, The Smiths, David Bowie or anyone like that, in which case you have absolutely no taste in music anyway and your opinion doesn't matter. And the whole "how punk are they" thing overshadows "how good are their songs" and the fact that a lot of people actively rebel against the fact that they once liked them when they were younger and hadn't figured out that it's not cool to like them basically.

In modern rock'n'roll, there are two kinds of bands: the ones which are considered as great unanimously, the normal people and the critics (I think of Muse) and the ones which is cool to hate because "they suck. I don't know them but they suck" (Green Day).

I think it's because Green Day is a current band which a has success. When The Beatles or The Doors had success, they were considered as a band for teenagers (many of us weren't born, but I read it). Today, they are considered as two of the greatest bands ever. Maybe, in 20 years, it will be the case for Green Day.

Now, I feel this is hate at the childest way for Green Day. It's pure hate without reason. But there is a quiproquo with Green Day. Many of the haters consider GD as a acoustic or a pop band which only does ballads. In France, many of them think American Idiot is their debut album & only know songs like 21 Guns, Boulevard, Wake Me Up and Know Your Enemy.

I think also the eyeliner and the fangirls (the ones who says "I love Green Day because BJA is so hot" or "I love Green Day but I know only two songs") are reasons for hate.

:o no need to be so rude, they only asked what FOD stands for!

In case you're not being sarcastic and you actually were insulted, that's what it stands for. FOD means "Fuck Off and Die". They weren't being rude. :lol: It's even a lyric in the song.

i never recogized that there is much more hate for green day than other bands,,i am jkust kinda like the only punk in my class,iso they often say green day suck,just to make me angry,i think its just cause they are popular and succesful,and that is what attracts hater,and when you hear green day songs on tv,its not really green days fault,and may someguys just dont know what green day really does,they watch out,to make their concert as chap as possible,they never sold oput,

i think a problem is the trilogy too,many people say that this is sold out,and many people are disapointed(like me),but i thinnk its just cause that green day is at aturning point,making another album like maerican iddiot or breakdown would be really sold out,and it wouldn´t be green day aymore,and billie,mike and tre recognized it in time and looked for her own style,like they did it some times on their career,i think the next album will be groundbreaking and reallly back to the roots ad a real green day punk record

My friend who got me into Green Day calls them a British band just because of AI. Some people don't interpret them right. And some people just follow mainstream. 10 years ago: I LOVE GD AND BLINK.

Now: Rock artist aren't talented. They write songs on toilets(what' my bro says when I bring that they actually write their own songs) and JB and 1D ROCK.

There is a lot of close mindedness from people who do not get things at times, ignore it, I also found quite a bit GreenDay fans and I made someone a fan of theirs, it's not all THAT bad, I also made him love the beatles and so on heh.

Sometimes the greatest talent is not recognised until the band/artist is no longer with us (for whatever reason). The fact that Green Day is still on the go after this length of time us a credit to them, and puts them into a very small minority. Haters probably can't stand the fact that they have outlasted most other "rock stars" careers, and are likely to keep going for many more years yet.

Mind you, I find it amusing that a lot if people say Green Day are 'too mainstream', and then there are the others who prefer the bigger mainstream artists like J B or 1D (although I would give 1D another couple of years max before they break up or fade into obscurity, when the next big thing overtakes them).

People are just really judgmental when it comes to Green Day, they take one look at them and immediately write them off as goths/emos etc because of what they wear. People have a real issue with the eyeliner especially I think which I don't understand cause to me it's just a black line around their eyes & Johnny Depp has worn it in the past, yet no one(not that I've seen) moans about that or writes him off but with Green Day people act like it's a crime. :dry:

Green Day are quite misunderstood too I think, they say or do something and people jump to conclusions and are yet again quick to judge -.- They think they know the band when they're just outsiders looking in and believe anything the media throws up, which is usually one-sided so no one knows what happens behind closed doors.

I've seen a bit of ageism towards Green Day too, them being 40 seems to be another reason for people to hate on even though there are other artists who are 40+ (Eminem for example) and they don't get bashed. When the VMAs were on I saw 'Green Day are soo old' so many times that if I had a nickel I would be as rich as Bill Gates by now. Age and the eyeliner always seem to be an issue...which is parallel to my first point.

To hate on them for 'not being Punk' is stupid too I think, to hate on an artist because they aren't in a particular genre that you want them to be in is stupid. To me if you like the music then that should be it no matter what the genre :) That's what I was like with Green Day I liked their music and what genre they were in was the last thing I cared about, still is :) Genres are just another label to me and I hate labels with a burning passion, they're are only useful for organizing your iTunes :)

Mehn, it's good to rant xD I've been waiting for a thread like this to open to just let it out :lol: I'm gonna go drink tea now :cool:

There are certain things about Green Day's image that make them easy targets for up-their-own-ass music snobs and other bullies. I've noticed and taken heart in the fact that there is nothing of substance behind any of the hate they get. It's all surface level, ignorant crap. I would gladly discuss/debate with someone who hates Green Day if they had actual reasons that extended beyond "they're gay/wear eyeliner/sold out/suck." However, those people are basically nonexistent so I usually just say GTFO.

Most people I know who hate GD say it's because of American Idiot. 'Everything was great before that. Then they just got shit.' I'd say it's more likely that despite American Idiot being a brilliant album, having to share an interest in a band with a 14 year old screaming girl is enough to have them running for the hills. American Idiot made them 'too mainstream' for most people's liking.

I think it comes from "once they represented the dirty minority, and now they became the clean majority".

Yeah, sometimes I don't like this either. It's not that they are hypocrites or anything, it's that now all their tours and their everything looks much more expensive and professional. That makes them look MUCH less like the minority they claim to represent. They were much more credible in the 90s with their ordinary clothes and pretty modest concert stages. Now they look more like people from the 1% with nice expensive clothes than a rock band coming from the 99%. Also their uniforms don't help them look more like the minority. I like them anyway, of course, because in the end that's all public image and the important part is the band's music and morals to me. And those do fit the 99%.

Honestly the people that have said Green Day sucked to me gave me these dumb but common reasons:

1. a lot of people i know just don't like any rock music.

2. all their songs sound the same/too simple to play/same chords. But that doesn't matter to me i like that about them and were the Beatles complex? how can you say you have to be complex to be a great band? Whatever.

3. Yeah my school is surrounded by a bunch of country or metal loving hicks who say they're just simply gay. And it's like seriously go back and listen to "Take Back" because that's how i feel about you.

Now i understand that they're just not the "Bees knees" for some people's taste (although i cannot comprehend why they sound like absolute heaven to me and they have something for everyone). So it's not really a matter of if my friends don't really like listening to them it's a matter of if they don't respect them and my interest for them. For example, my friend likes Doctor Who. I can't really get into it but hey, that's okay i'd still get her doctor who stuff and i wouldn't pick on her for it. What makes me mad is when people don't give them a chance and just completely bash.

Maybe it's just because of their looks, I mean look how Black Veil Brides are hated, I know they're way more extreme than Green Day, but still it's only because of their looks.

Maybe it's just because of their looks, I mean look how Black Veil Brides are hated, I know they're way more extreme than Green Day, but still it's only because of their looks.

That's definitely not the only reason people hate BVBs.

I don't understand why people could hate a band as awesome as Green Day when a band like Nickleback exists.

Those are people who don't actually listen to Green day's music, but listen to what other mindless idiots are saying. Eyeliner; listening to 21 cb and Wmuwse and claiming that they're not enough punk for them; accusing them of selling out while worshiping The Sex Pistols or The Ramones...You know, stupid, narrow minded shit.

I get what you are saying. When I even mention Green Day there is always a joke or a side negative comment. I don't get it either man. Their loss I guess.

Guest DisapppearingBoy

cause their hit songs r all ballads. People've false impression about them. For the punks they're pissing them too much n they are not part of thd scene anymore.

And many people who hates thinks Green Day is always riping off others artists. Sometimes, they find a similarity with a 70's Peruvian band and call it a rip-off.

I only wanna say to them that rip off doesn't exist 'cause there were, there are & there will be similarites between a specific song & another one.

Archived