Why is there so much hate for Green Day?

Todd

It seems that although Green Day has one of the largest fan bases, there are a ton of people that hate Green Day. Nobody hates The Who or The Rollingstones. I don't understand why people are pissy about Green Day. Even the people that just like rock, and don't care about punk or selling out, I just don't get it. Is it eyeliner?

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest supersaiyemmy

There are a ton of hate for every band, not just green day :P There will always be haters and you just gotta live with that

I know a few people that dont like the who, hell, at times im not a big fan of the beatles! but that isnt the point. i think to those in the 16-25 age range in the 90s felt close to green day on a somewhat personal level, because they're old stuff is actually really relatable, though not as meaningful as say wake me up when september ends. maybe people didn't want their little punks to be megastars. i love green day no matter what circumstance. i guess if i would've been a young adult in the 90s i could have a better reason but thats what i think.

Those same idiots would never rag on The Sex Pistols or The Ramones and they "sold out" too.

Those same idiots would never rag on The Sex Pistols or The Ramones and they "sold out" too.

I KNOW! i wouldnt say they sold out but the ramones and sex pistols arent the most underground bands in the world

Exactly. Ramones sold out big time

It seems that although Green Day has one of the largest fan bases, there are a ton of people that hate Green Day. Nobody hates The Who or The Rollingstones. I don't understand why people are pissy about Green Day. Even the people that just like rock, and don't care about punk or selling out, I just don't get it. Is it eyeliner?

I hate the Stones.

Right now, it's popular and cool to hate on bands/artists just for the sake of hating them. People would much rather bash a band/artist they know little about than to express their love for a band that has touched them a personal level. (;

Anyway, Green Day is one of the few established bands from the 80s and 90s left. Which I believe the meaning behind Rusty James is about. Green Day and their peers alike are outcasts in an industry of pop and electronics.

The only thing you can do is keep on going to Green Day tours and telling these hipster pop listeners to F.O.D.

Whenever I ask someone why they don't like Green Day, the usual answer I receive is "because they're gay". I want a serious answer

Exactly. Ramones sold out big time

I KNOW! i wouldnt say they sold out but the ramones and sex pistols arent the most underground bands in the world

Sold out as in "sold out" meaning not actually sold out, just signed to a major label. According to the real "punk rock" community selling out means signing to a label and getting wider recognition. That's why they're stupid.

Sold out as in "sold out" meaning not actually sold out, just signed to a major label. According to the real "punk rock" community selling out means signing to a label and getting wider recognition. That's why they're stupid.

yeah thats what i meant, selling out pretty much is letting the label or whoever take control of your shit, the pistols and ramones, as far as i know, never let that happen

yeah thats what i meant, selling out pretty much is letting the label or whoever take control of your shit, the pistols and ramones, as far as i know, never let that happen

Didn't The Ramones go through like 5 labels? Green Day's only been on like 2. :lol:

Didn't The Ramones go through like 5 labels? Green Day's only been on like 2. :lol:

yeah...bastards! and now theyre (mostly) dead :sad:

My brother hates on them for the stupidest reasons... He says they're "emo faggots" but I tell him it's not the appearance, it's how they sound, and really they sound great.

My brother hates on them for the stupidest reasons... He says they're "emo faggots" but I tell him it's not the appearance, it's how they sound, and really they sound great.

i actually remember getting in a fight at school in 5th grade with this kid for saying green day was goth. fanboy here!!! but yeah people are soooo jusdgemental and for some reason its always green day. i guess maybe since theyre one of the biggest acts on earth

Guest As Good As It Gets

Exactly that - because they're famous

There will always be people who don't get it - that's fine, let them have their opinion

But if you feel it isn't a sound opinion (i.e. hate based on their appearance rather than their sound), then challenge it, don't let ignorance prevail over knowledge

It's just so people can feel better about themselves. Basic insecurity.

They want other people to think they're are as cool as possible so they choose to hate things that are considered popular and mainstream.

They want other people to think they're are as cool as possible so they choose to hate things that are considered popular and mainstream.

pretty much hipsters

Archived