What if they released an acoustic album?

Jean

In the vein of Alkaline Trio's Damnesia, this the acoustic album that I would like to see Green Day make (excluding the Trilogy for now)-

Acoustic as Fuck in no particular order:

Disc 1:

Paper Lanterns

Only of You

Going to Pasalacqua

2000 Light Years Away

No One Knows

Who Wrote Holden Caulfield?

One For The Razorbacks

Pulling Teeth

Basket Case

When I Come Around

Stuart and the Ave.

Disc 2:

Redundant

Worry Rock

Scattered

Blood, Sex and Booze

Church On Sunday

Misery (for kicks)

Letterbomb

Whatshername

Boulevard of Broken Dreams

Last Night On Earth

21st Century Breakdown

Good Riddance (duh)

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This would make my life!! I've been wanting an acoustic album for years and years now.

As badly as many critics would probably take it, I don't care, proper acoustic versions would be amazing. Also just the fact that it would be reinterpretations of old songs is great

Sincerely, I feel acoustic albums are just a reboot of released songs so you can pay for them again. Maybe if they re-recorded the vocals too and they kept Mike's backing vocals I'd think of buying it.

Newsflash, the backing vocals you hear on every album is mainly Billie Joe.

Newsflash, the backing vocals you hear on every album is mainly Billie Joe.

No. That happens sometimes in the trilogy, but in all the other albums it's mostly Mike.

More Warning-style ballads from Billie Joe like Macy's Day Parade? Yes please.

Edit: I misunderstood the topic. Shit.

Oh well. My point still stands.

No. That happens sometimes in the trilogy, but in all the other albums it's mostly Mike.

Sorry, but all the way from 39/Smooth to iTre! Billie Joe does the backing vocals himself, or at least he's loudest in the mix cause it's his voice you hear.

They both have very distinct voices. Take a listen to songs like At The Library and 2000 Light Years Away where it's very clear it's all Billie's voice.

Garanteed to blow your mind, as it did mine when I realised it.

It's an old studio trick for the lead singer to record the backing vocals as well, cause a voice harmonizes better with itself.

Sorry, but all the way from 39/Smooth to iTre! Billie Joe does the backing vocals himself, or at least he's loudest in the mix cause it's his voice you hear.

They both have very distinct voices. Take a listen to songs like At The Library and 2000 Light Years Away where it's very clear it's all Billie's voice.

Garanteed to blow your mind, as it did mine when I realised it.

It's an old studio trick for the lead singer to record the backing vocals as well, cause a voice harmonizes better with itself.

It's Mike. Some songs on 39/Smooth are Billie Joe, same with the trilogy and same with 21st Century Breakdown, but in between the songs are clearly Mike Dirnt. Their voices are as similar as they are distinct.

It's Mike. Some songs on 39/Smooth are Billie Joe, same with the trilogy and same with 21st Century Breakdown, but in between the songs are clearly Mike Dirnt. Their voices are as similar as they are distinct.

Okay then, do you have an example of a song where it's clearly Mike?

Okay then, do you have an example of a song where it's clearly Mike?

Basket Case, She, Longview, Hold On, Scattered, Deadbeat Holiday, Warning, Having A Blast, 86, Walking Contradiction, Brat, Geek Stink Breath, Jesus of Suburbia, Extraordinary Girl, Whatshername Haushinka, Prosthetic Head, Last of the American Girls, the 1000 Hours EP, 16, 80, Words I Might Have Ate, Who Wrote Holden Caulfield?, Castaway, Minority...

Take your pick. Mike sings backing vocals differently than the mook voice he uses on Sex, Drugs & Violence, Homecoming, and Outsider. He has another lead vocal tone on Money Money 2020 and Governator. His backing vocal voice can clearly be heard on Green Day records, Screeching Weasel, and the Frustrators records.

Basket Case, She, Longview, Hold On, Scattered, Deadbeat Holiday, Warning, Having A Blast, 86, Walking Contradiction, Brat, Geek Stink Breath, Jesus of Suburbia, Extraordinary Girl, Whatshername Haushinka, Prosthetic Head, Last of the American Girls, the 1000 Hours EP, 16, 80, Words I Might Have Ate, Who Wrote Holden Caulfield?, Castaway, Minority...

Take your pick. Mike sings backing vocals differently than the mook voice he uses on Sex, Drugs & Violence, Homecoming, and Outsider. He has another lead vocal tone on Money Money 2020 and Governator. His backing vocal voice can clearly be heard on Green Day records, Screeching Weasel, and the Frustrators records.

That is alot of examples, but I'd say that except the middle section of JOS, and possibly the line "may impair you ability to operate machinery" in Warning, I only hear Billie Joe, though some of them are hard to distinguish because the harmonies are very low. On the other hand, there is no song in particular where it's clear that it's Mike compared to how many examples where you can hear Billie's way of articulating words very clearly. This may be getting a little off topic from the acoustic album thing, but I do find it interesting..

That is alot of examples, but I'd say that except the middle section of JOS, and possibly the line "may impair you ability to operate machinery" in Warning, I only hear Billie Joe, though some of them are hard to distinguish because the harmonies are very low. On the other hand, there is no song in particular where it's clear that it's Mike compared to how many examples where you can hear Billie's way of articulating words very clearly. This may be getting a little off topic from the acoustic album thing, but I do find it interesting..

Harmonies are always difficult to distinguish because they're mixed so that they clearly form "chords" with the main melody. That specific section of Warning is a unison harmony, meaning that both singers are singing the same note, so it's going to be difficult to distinguish the tone of the vocalist. When you're singing harmonies, you also have to raise or lower your actual singing voice and sing a different melody, which is what Mike Dirnt has to do. And the articulation is based on the what the main melody dictates, because you have to be able to form the chord.

But yeah, it's Mike Dirnt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFcNltZJ7j4

Harmonies are always difficult to distinguish because they're mixed so that they clearly form "chords" with the main melody. That specific section of Warning is a unison harmony, meaning that both singers are singing the same note, so it's going to be difficult to distinguish the tone of the vocalist. When you're singing harmonies, you also have to raise or lower your actual singing voice and sing a different melody, which is what Mike Dirnt has to do. And the articulation is based on the what the main melody dictates, because you have to be able to form the chord.

But yeah, it's Mike Dirnt:

I'm strong in the music theory, so I very much know how harmonies and singing works... And to optimize the consonating ring of the different melodies, articulation is exactly important, but that's exactly why lead singers almost always, in most bands, do the backing vocals themselves. You do not want them to take focus from the lead vocals, so you want them to consonate or "blend" well, and no one can blend their voice with the lead singer as... the lead singer. Or, in this case Billie Joe. But let's end it here, we obviously won't agree any time soon.

Maybe in a year or two, Green Day could be a singles collection like My Chemical Romance and the Red Hot Chili Peppers have been doing. They release a new single featuring two re-recorded and acoustic songs on vinyl and MP3 monthly. (Maybe some unreleased acoustic tracks too?)

Songs that I would like to see in the collection:

X Kid

Brain Stew

Amy

1000 Hours

All By Myself

Minority

The Forgotten

She

Nice Guys Finish Last

Possibly something previously unreleased?

Homecoming (Maybe with a little orchestral stuff?) I was going to say Homecoming but I remembered that it was too long... (Maybe split some parts on two sides of a record?) ...

Maybe in a year or two, Green Day could be a singles collection like My Chemical Romance and the Red Hot Chili Peppers have been doing. They release a new single featuring two re-recorded and acoustic songs on vinyl and MP3 monthly. (Maybe some unreleased acoustic tracks too?)

Songs that I would like to see in the collection:

X Kid

Brain Stew

Amy

1000 Hours

All By Myself

Minority

The Forgotten

She

Nice Guys Finish Last

Possibly something previously unreleased?

Homecoming (Maybe with a little orchestral stuff?) I was going to say Homecoming but I remembered that it was too long... (Maybe split some parts on two sides of a record?) ...

they could release a studio version of olivia and put it on a acoustic album but really unlikely that they'll do that :lol:

I doubt Green Day would ever do it but they are fabulous on acoustics, I would love it if this happened. :happy:

I honestly think that a strictly an acoustic album would be a pretty "punk" thing for them to do. At least I would imagine that's what Billie would say it was :P

I really wanna here an acoustic Whatsername or X-kid

I love acoustic albums.. if it is with mtv plugged that would be okay with me.. MTV has a long history- yes i think we can all agree that they took a drastic turn for the worst as they are more known for reality shows than music now.. but music is music.. if it has an MTV brand on it who cares? itunes also has "sessions" and i could see GD doing one too.

I would love an acoustic version of She.

All i can think of is tre with a tambourine for the whole record lol.

What do you mean by acoustic? If it's just Billie, it's a solo album. but if there's still bass and drums I don't know if I'd like it quite as much as just acoustic guitars and maybe piano. I feel like if there's bass and drums, it might as well be electric guitars. but I guess Tre could tone down a bit on the drums and not use a kit, and just use a few hand drums.

That would be cool. If there was one, I would want songs off of 1,039 SOSH, Kerplunk, and Dookie.

It'd be awesome. I feel like an acoustic cover of Insomniac would sound like a Johnny Hobo & the Freight Trains album.

Archived