Songs that should have been singles/had music videos

Jean

In what universe would Take Back be a good single? Surely you'd want the singles to be successful, right?

The same universe that thought Redundant would be a good single, but you're right, cause when I think about it, it's too short and it would confuse non-hardcore fans

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Castaway," "King for a Day," "The Grouch," "Scattered," "Before the Lobotomy," "Blood Sex and Booze," "Homecoming," "Give Me Novocaine," "2000 Light Years Away," "Android," and "American Eulogy."

I wouldn't change anything before the trilogy. All the singles before 21CB were spot on, while the god-awful Know Your Enemy was still a good lead single for radio and to grab the attention of all casual music fans. Same with Last of the American Girls (though it's not bad, just one of the weaker tracks on 21CB). The way the trilogy is promoted with singles is not great. Oh Love should have been Uno's final single, not the track that introduced the trilogy to the world. Stay The Night (or at least Nuclear Family) should have been a lead single. Kill The DJ and Let Yourself Go were fine. As for Dos... Stray Heart was a good choice but they missed out on some great singles. Stop When The Red Lights Flash and Wow should have been released, at least. Lazy Bones probably would have done well. And as for Tre, X-Kid is a good choice, Forgotten as the ballad and then 8th Ave. or better still, Dirty Rotten Bastards. 99 Revolutions would be a pretty radio-friendly tune. And if there wasn't enough time to release all those singles then maybe they just should have taken more time releasing the 3 albums, with longer gaps in between. The waits were not long at all, might as well have taken time promoting the trilogy.

Everything up to Warning was fine.

I'd only replace Warning with Castaway.

AI was perfectly fine.

21st CB was not. The lead single should've been American Eulogy, but I understand that it might have been troublesome with the n-word.

Preferably / Alternatively:

American Eulogy / East Jesus Nowhere

21Guns / 21 Guns

East Jesus Nowhere / Murder City

Murder City / 21st Century Breakdown

For the trilogy the whole thing was a mess with Oh Love -> KTDJ ->LYG -> STN and NF ->Stray Heart

I feel like it should've been:

Nuclear Family (same time as Oh Love)

Stay the Night (Just before album is released)

Stray Heart (1 month after StN)

Amy (just after album is released)

99 Revolutions (just before Christmas)

X-Kid (a while after album is out)

Let Yourself Go (when album is starting to be sold as a package)

That would've been a whole bunch of Green Day singles in a short amount of time, but only Nuclear Family, Stray Heart, 99 Revs and X-kid should have normal music videos with the rest being live-videos.

i just wanna see them perform a new tre song on some kind of tv program.. just one please..

singles:

1039 SOSH- going to pasalacqua, 1000 hours, green day

kerplunk- who wrote holden caulfield, no one knows, christie road

Dookie- I think they picked the best singles

Insomniac- 86, no pride

Nimrod- Scattered, prosthetic head, king for a day

Warning- blood sex and booze, castaway, jackass

American Idiot- letterbomb could've been a great single

21st century breakdown- Viva la Gloria or Last Night on Earth

Uno- Rusty James, troublemaker, carpe diem

Dos- Lazy Bones, wild one, Amy

Tre- Brutal Love, x-kid, Dirty rotten bastards

and now music video:

I really would like to see a video for She cause it's one of my favorite songs ever

and maybe a live videos for some songs from 39 and kerplunk

Also a live video for King For A Day from one of the concerts which Billie pulled down his pants and was with a thong

a cool video for Castaway could have been awesome

A music video of Letterbomb

A music video\ Live video of Viva La Gloria

Music videos from DOS and TRE- Wild One, X-kid ( a real one), 99 revolutions, wow! that's loud

and maybe some more :)

TRILOGY

Even though I like Oh Love, I do agree that it was a poor choice as lead single. I think Let Yourself Go would have been very interesting - it's still "different" from the past two records, but it gets everyone excited. I think Kill the DJ was a good choice for a second single, it did fairly well here, but I guess Nuclear Family might have been more successful. However, two of my friends who heard Nuclear Family said that it was kind of unoriginal because it really reminded them of American Idiot.

I like ¡Dos!, but it doesn't have a lot of good single material. Stray Heart was an obvious choice, although it's one of my least favorite songs on there. My vote goes to Wow! That's Loud. It's simply one of the best songs of the trilogy.

We still don't know what the single(s) for ¡Tré! will be, but it better be X-Kid.

21st Century Breakdown

I think Know Your Enemy is a song that only works when played live. I was really happy when I heard the first minute of the song.. then came the solo which was just over simplistic (imagine if it would've gotten a trilogy-style solo though - would've been a lot better). And it's all downhill from there, the same riff and chorus repeated over and over again. I kinda wish that song just had one long, rock 'n roll solo as an ending. But anyway..

21 Guns is just a bad remake of BoBD. Same drums, same bass, just not as good.

East Jesus Nowhere as lead single, maybe Murder City as second, 21stCB as third.

Meh, it's been so long since I last listened to this album. :( I suppose that explains why it just wasn't as popular.

American Idiot and earlier work

No complaints, really. Except maybe Brat from Insomniac.

Just thinking in terms of public appeal, because while I love songs like Platypus, No One Knows, etc, they wouldn't have made good singles.

1039: Going to Pasalacqua

Kerplunk: 2000 Light Years Away, One of My Lies

Dookie: Having a Blast

Insomniac: 86, Westbound Sign

Nimrod: Scattered, Worry Rock, Reject

Warning: Church of Sunday, Castaway

American Idiot: Letterbomb

21st Century Breakdown: Murder City, American Eulogy

Uno: Rusty James

Dos: Lazy Bones, Wild One

Tre: X-Kid (seems like this will be next), 99 Revolutions

I'd love to see videos from Extraordinary Girl, Letterbomb, Whatsername, Fashion Victim, ¡Viva La Gloria!, Restless Heart Syndrome, Peacemaker, Troublemaker, Brutal Love, Wild One and Sex, Drugs & Violence.

It's a lot :mellow:

As for singles; any song. (as long as it comes with unknown b-sides :shifty: )

I'll do them by album

1039: Going to Pasalaqua

Kerplunk: Who Wrote Holden Coulfield

Dookie: She

Insomniac: Bab's Uvula Who?

Nimrod: Prosthetic Head

Warning: Blood Sex and Booze

ISH: Maria

American Idiot: Give me Novacaine

21CB: Viva La Gloria!

Uno: Nuclear Family

Dos: Lazy Bones

Tre: Dirty Rotten Bastards

What people seem to be forgetting is that the Uno singles didn't do that poorly until the whole Billie meltdown. I heard Oh Love (which, although I don't like the song, is a fine single choice - easy to listen to) on the radio quite a bit on rock stations and the rock station I listen to still plays LYG on a pretty frequent basis. It was looking like Stay the Night was going to be a single (after they played it on GMA) but unforseen circumstances ruined that. Stray Heart would've been a hit if a band was around to promote it. Hopefully X-Kid or 8th Avenue Serenade will get popular.

Scattered, Panic Song, Stuart and the Ave., Babs Uvulva Who?, Scumbag (American Pie video) , Chump/Longview (extended video), and of course, Green Day

all the singles they released have been the right chice but these would be great add on too [not going to add trilogy until all singles are released]:

39, Smooth; I Was There, The Judges Daughter, Dissapearing Boy

Kerplunk: 2000 Light Years Away, One Of My Lies, Who Wrot Holden Caufield?, One For The Razorbacks

Dookie: Burnout, Sassafrass Roots

Insominac: Stuart & The Ave, 86

Nimrod: The Grouch, Worry Rock, King For A Day

Warning: Church on Sunday, Castaway

American Idiot: Give Me Novacain / She's A Rebel, Letterbomb

21st Century Breakdown: Before The Lobotomy, Murder City, Static Age,

Guest RedStrokes

Ok just gotta say the best green day album IS Insomniac, case closed ;)

39 smooth/1039 smoothed out slappy hours: the judges daughter, paper lanterns, don't leave me

Kerplunk: who wrote Holden caulfield?, one of my lies, private ale

Dookie: singles well chosen except she I would swap it for in the end, burnout, or sassafras roots

Insomniac: why can't they all be singles :/ ok let's see. Brat ( fav gd song), 86, walking contradiction, and brain stew,

Nimrod: take back, good riddance, king for a day, these show 3 sides of green day

Warning: church on Sunday, fashion victim, misery

Shenanigans: I want to be on tv ( in love with this cover), haha you're dead, desensitized

American idiot: I agree with all singles

21st century breakdown: I only really liked 2 songs off this album so: horseshoes and handgrenades and east Jesus nowhere

UNO: loss of control, troublemaker, kill the dj, angel blue

Dos: makeout party, lady cobra, Ashley, fuck time

Tre: brutal love, dirty rotten bastards, Amanda

Christian's Inferno

*grabs popcorn*

..but honestly, I still don't get the hate for Know Your Enemy as a lead single. I think that song along with 21 Guns, East Jesus Nowhere, Viva La Gloria and maybe Murder City were only songs to fit well as a radio single on that album. Yeah, it's really not their best or the most epic song, but it fits well today's radio and still being a better song than the 90% of songs on the radio. The mission of lead single is represent the album for big audience, radio listeners, media etc., not just for fans. KYE is good sing along-song and stucks in your head, either in good or bad.

After all, the album sold pretty well and I don't think that any other single choice would've boost the sales too much.

Answer to the question: Give Me Novacaine, Stay The Night as a radio single and with proper music video.

I thought the singles in 21st Century Breakdown were fine. And AI couldn't have had better singles (although Letterbomb is my favourite song from the album, it wouldn't have made as good a single as the other five). The trilogy, however... Hmm. Let's see. I'd probably give each album three singles.

Uno:

1. Stay The Night (Shortened Version)

2. Let Yourself Go

3. Oh Love

Dos:

1. Stray Heart

2. Amy

3. Fuck Time

Tre:

1. 99 Revolutions

2. The Forgotten

3. X-Kid

Fuck Time would of course be a sort of joke single. That, Amy and X-Kid I think could go without music videos. I'd place the most promotion on Stay The Night, Stray Heart and The Forgotten.

I'll only say from 21st CB on because I'm ok with all the singles before it

21st Century Breakdown:

- East Jesus Nowhere

- American Eulogy

- ¿Viva la Gloria?

- ¡Viva la Gloria!

¡Uno!:

- Stay The Night

- Let Yourself Go

- Carpe Diem

¡Dos!:

- Stray Heart

- Wow! That's Loud

- Lady Cobra

¡Tré!:

- X-Kid

- Missing You

- The Forgotten

All in that order. 4 singles for 21st Century Breakdown because that's what I consider a good standard. 3 for each trilogy album because they are 3 albums and that's what ¡Uno! got.

1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours: Going to Pasalacqua, Paper Lanterns and 409 in Your Coffeemaker

Kerplunk: 2,000 Light Years Away, Who Wrote Holden Caufield? and Welcome to Paradise
Dookie: Basket Case, She, Longview, Welcome to Paradise and When I Come Around (Yes, a re-released Welcome to Paradise single)
Insomniac: Armatage Shanks, Geek Stink Breath, Stuck With Me, Stuart and the Ave. and 86
Nimrod: Nice Guys Finish Last, Hitchin' a Ride, Scattered, Walking Alone, Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)
Warning: Warning, Church on Sunday, Castaway, Deadbeat Holiday, Waiting and Macy's Day Parade
American Idiot: American Idiot, Jesus of Suburbia, Holiday, Boulevard of Broken Dreams, Wake Me Up When September Ends and Letterbomb
21st Century Breakdown: 21st Century Breakdown, Know Your Enemy, Murder City, East Jesus Nowhere and 21 Guns

¡Uno!: Let Yourself Go, Nuclear Family and Stay the Night
¡Dos!: Stop When the Red Lights Flash, Stray Heart and Wild One
¡Tré!: Brutal Love, X-Kid, Dirty Rotten Bastards, 99 Revolutions and The Forgotten

39/Smooth:

Going to Pasalacqua

The Road to Acceptance

Kerplunk!:

2000 Light Years Away

One For the Razorbacks

Christie Road

One of My Lies

Who Wrote Holden Caulfield?

Dookie:

Am I the only one who doesn't love 'She'?

Insomniac:

Armatage Shanks

Nimrod:

Scattered

Worry Rock

Platypus

Uptight

Prosthetic Head

Warning:

Blood, Sex and Booze

Castaway

Misery

Deadbeat Holiday

Hold On

American Idiot:

Letterbomb

She's a Rebel

Homecoming

Whatsername

21st Century Breakdown:

American Eulogy

Uno!:

Stay the Night

Sweet 16

Rusty James

Dos!:

Stop When The Red Lights Flash

Ashley

Tre!:

Brutal Love

8th Avenue Serenade

I understand their single choices, but don't agree with them.

Dookie:

Burnout

Insomniac:

Nimrod:

Worry Rock

American Idiot:

Give Me Novacaine

21st Century Breakdown:

Before The Lobotomy

Last Night On Earth

The Static Age

Songs that are AWESOME music videos in my head:

Letterbomb

Wow! That's Loud

Blood, Sex and Booze

Murder City

I'll only say from 21st CB on because I'm ok with all the singles before it

21st Century Breakdown:

- East Jesus Nowhere

- American Eulogy

- ¿Viva la Gloria?

- ¡Viva la Gloria!

¡Uno!:

- Stay The Night

- Let Yourself Go

- Carpe Diem

¡Dos!:

- Stray Heart

- Wow! That's Loud

- Lady Cobra

¡Tré!:

- X-Kid

- Missing You

- The Forgotten

All in that order. 4 singles for 21st Century Breakdown because that's what I consider a good standard. 3 for each trilogy album because they are 3 albums and that's what ¡Uno! got.

You're in my head. :)

I want a real video and single release for East Jesus Nowhere!

Who Wrote Holden Caulfield? would have been a great single for Kerplunk.

Armatage Shanks should have gotten a single and a video.

King For A Day would have made for a good single, and possibly a video.

Not quite sure why Peacemaker didn't get a single, and they chose Last of the American Girls instead.

I wish the ¡Uno! singles would have been promoted properly and not sporadically across different countries.

Stop When The Red Lights Flash is the only other radio appropriate song on ¡Dos!, besides Stray Heart.

¡Tre! got it right with X-Kid, but I'm still hoping for a single release of Brutal Love, or maybe Missing You.

That's what upsets me most about the trilogy, and 21CB. Warner and Green Day have been pretty damn good at choosing and promoting singles for their past albums, but they really have dropped the damn ball the past few years. Most of their single choices have been really appropriate and promoted really well. But it's like Warner just doesn't care now.

Archived