If Stop Drop & Roll was released as Green Day

ColinOr

Imagine if Stop Drop & Roll was released as a Green Day album and Foxboro Hot Tubs never happened. It would be the highly anticipated follow up to American Idiot, but what would the reaction be? I can imagine that Mother Mary would become a massive radio hit and the album would chart highly initially as it's the follow up to such a successful album, but I think it would be regarded as disappointing. The straight up rock'n'roll sound is such a radical departure from American Idiot. I think fans would like it, but it wouldn't be anywhere near the commercial success of American Idiot or 21st Century Breakdown.

What do you think the reaction would be if it was released as Green Day? Not as harsh as if Money Money 2020 was released as Green Day.

Instead it was released as a side-project under the name Foxboro Hot Tubs and it's a cult hit with the fans. 21st Century Breakdown was the true follow-up to American Idiot and rightfully so, it progressed from that album perfectly and served fans better than SD&R would have done.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's only 2 albums Billie, Mike and Tre do together as side-projects. This is the final thread on the matter.

Are you sure?

teletubbies_main.jpg

I've never listened to it, but I just went and listened to Mother Mary and I thought it was awesome! I agree with you that it would probably be a big hit.

Might have to give the rest of the album a listen now. :)

Well, we would have reacted as normal, i.e. everyone would have lost their shit (in both a good and bad way).

Well, we would have reacted as normal, i.e. everyone would have lost their shit (in both a good and bad way).

I love the Foxboro Hottubs (O RLY!) but if they released Stop Drop And Roll as a Green Day album it would've been the understatement of the year to say that I would be pretty disappointed.

I love the Foxboro Hottubs (O RLY!) but if they released Stop Drop And Roll as a Green Day album it would've been the understatement of the year to say that I would be pretty disappointed.

Well then it's easy to see why the band is trying to get out of their own shadow.

I would love it just as much. Maybe to get away from the "much anticipated follow up to American Idiot" stuff, they could have just released is as an EP (with all 12 songs + Highway 1). They're fairly short anyway.

I could officially say that it is my favorite Green Day album!

But I guess it wouldn't be the same, part of the magic is that they can play in small clubs as FBHT and no one except the super fans would know about it... And FBHT in a big stage isn't the same either!

I've never listened to it, but I just went and listened to Mother Mary and I thought it was awesome! I agree with you that it would probably be a big hit.

Might have to give the rest of the album a listen now. :)

DO IT! It needs to be heard! :D

I don't know what I would think of the band lol.

I only know them since 2009 so if I'd look back and see Stop Drop & Roll as their album I'd not be so sure whether they're writing about important themes. I only heard that album after I became a huge fan and I love it :)

I think I'd love it as a Green Day album too but it'd just be too weird between AI and 21st CBD y'know?

I think I'd look at it the exact same. Regardless of when it came out or by who, it's a good album on it's own.

No, no, and no. I love the Foxboro Hot Tubs and their drunken way of living.

All these fucking "what if" threads -.-

what if a spacedinosaur would have landet in billie ass at iheartmusic? maybe THAT IS what happened....

I like that the Tubbies stay under the radar. That way I can tell hipsters about this obscure band I like. Plus, although the Tubbies are great, I often use them as a music joke. ("You gotta here the Tubbies!!")

Stop Drop and Roll is perfect the way it is, so I wouldn't have wanted them to change anything - and that includes making it a Green Day album.

I'm sure i'm not alone in annoying friends by talking about Green Day all the time, so being able to talk about / listen to FBHT without people realising it's still Green Day amuses me :)

I know songs like Redundent, Waiting and Brutal love and clear similaritys with other songs but i think they would of got really criticised with this album as most of the tracks sound like rewrites of classic songs!

The weird thing is that I actually heard Mother Mary on the radio here more than I've heard 21 Guns. True story.

It seems to me that if Stop, Drop, and Roll had been released as a Green Day album, it would've been an epic disappointment commercially, as well as to many fans.

However, the silver lining might be that, had ST&R been released as a Green Day album, the expectations for the Trilogy would've been set so low that many fans who have expressed disappointment in the Trilogy might've embraced it more.

Everyone would complain about how shit it is, how it's not punk enough or that it's not Dookie II.

back when it was released I'll for sure be pissed off, cuz I didin't like it at all at first listenings in 2008..

nowadays I really like that record, there are a lot of very good songs. Anyway.. it's better that it is just a project and not GD

Archived