If Money Money 2020 was released as Green Day

ColinOr

Music critics would have lost their collective shit if Green Day released an album similar to Money Money 2020. I think that's the beauty of The Network, is that they only have one album and that it's a side project. I do like the simplicity and recording quality of the album and I would like to see Green Day incorporate those elements in future releases.

What's funny though is that the album was well received and many critics cited it as and example of "Green Day's musical range."

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What's funny though is that the album was well received and many critics cited it as and example of "Green Day's musical range."

Critics liked it because it was a side project, I don't think they'd praise it as much if it was an official release under the name Green Day. Imagine if they played those songs at the Grammys or MTV Music Awards or any other televised music performance show, a clusterfuck of hatred would erupt. Maybe I'm just desensitized and used to the misinterpretation and hate Green Day often gets with their releases. You're probably right though.

Critics liked it because it was a side project, I don't think they'd praise it as much if it was an official release under the name Green Day. Imagine if they played those songs at the Grammys or MTV Music Awards or any other televised music performance show, a clusterfuck of hatred would erupt. Maybe I'm just desensitized and used to the misinterpretation and hate Green Day often gets with their releases. You're probably right though.

Well I was just pointing it out, releasing a New Wave pop album in 2003 would have been a massive commercial mistake. The critics would have been completely surprised by it; it's up in the hypothetical air if they would have praised it's brazenness or hated it for it.

Archived