If Money Money 2020 was released as Green Day

ColinOr

Imagine if The Network didn't exist and the Money Money 2020 album was released as a Green Day album in 2003. What do you think would have happened?

I think it would be a commercial failure and critically panned, regarded the "the album they lost their minds" and would alienate their core fanbase with such a radical change in sound and a sudden amount of silliness. I think it'd be hailed as their worst album by most fans and critics and when American Idiot is released in 2004 it wouldn't perform as well commercially because Money Money 2020 would have torn away alot of the respect their fanbase had for them. Maybe if they did a full tour and singles, etc in support of the album then American Idiot wouldn't have happened and the next album would have been released in 2006 or something.

But yeah, what happened is it was released as The Network and it's respected as a good fun side-project album. I enjoy it personally, but I can't help but think the reaction it would've had if it was released as Green Day.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it would have been a lot more interesting if they had released Bat Out of Hell as Green Day.

Billie's lost a lot of weight since those days.

You seem like a logical, well spoken person, so it shouldn't take much thought to realize that GD would have never released that album under their own name. This gave them a chance to experiment and have fun without affecting the Green Day brand. I really don't see this being much of a discussion point.

or

You could go down the silly route and say they are two different bands and of course Green Day would never release that album, because they're completely different people.

You seem like a logical, well spoken person, so it shouldn't take much thought to realize that GD would have never released that album under their own name. This gave them a chance to experiment and have fun without affecting the Green Day brand. I really don't see this being much of a discussion point.

or

You could go down the silly route and say they are two different bands and of course Green Day would never release that album, because they're completely different people.

You ruined the joke I wanted to make :dry:

You seem like a logical, well spoken person, so it shouldn't take much thought to realize that GD would have never released that album under their own name.

This is a 'what if' scenario; you've just got to run with it. :happy:

The success of American Idiot if Money Money 2020 were released is an interesting subject. I think one of the reasons American Idiot fared so well was the complete absence of the band for the four years prior to its release. Green Day went quiet and then re-emerged from a sort of mini-hiatus as a new band. A new band with fresh ideas and a whole new attitude, though with the same already-significant fanbase and mainstream success as the old Green Day. If Money Money 202 had happened, Green Day wouldn't have taken the music industry by storm in the way that it did. The critical reception would have been comparable, but the commercial success would have been dampened by the absence of the whole 'Fuck yeah, we're back' feel which made American Idiot so popular. and yes, I think Money Money 2020 really would have alienated a huge section of the fanbase. If even the band's fans aren't convinced enough to check out the new album, what kind of reception is it going to have from the general public?

It just wouldn't fit or make any bit of sense. It's like if Queens of the Stone Age did a skiffle album.

I can't say "what if" because no. It just wouldn't happen, it's stupid to think about and we all know what would happen - it'd be panned and ignored.

you can never know what happened if,maybe nobody would have liked the album and green day would be riuned or such things,maybe it would be much of succes,you can never know what would happeed if....

I think it would have been a lot more interesting if they had released Bat Out of Hell as Green Day.

Billie's lost a lot of weight since those days.

What the fudge is Bat Out of Hell???

And to the topic - I can't even think about it. They would never do something like that. It would be so stupid :o

What the fudge is Bat Out of Hell???

And to the topic - I can't even think about it. They would never do something like that. It would be so stupid :o

Bat out of Hell by Meat Loaf is one of the best albums of the 70's (in a way it was the American Idiot of its time, stayed in the charts for 10 years)

Not really sure if that was what the previous poster was referring to. Mind you, I can just hear them doing that, now that I think about it.

I wouldn't of complained, I loved this album when it came out and prefer it to Foxboro hot tubs.. in hindsight though it did get quite old quick and i don't fid myself listening to Network songs anymore... still though i prefer the album to 21cb!

It just wouldn't be taken seriously. The music is too far from what most people consider "Green Day's style". It would probably have been laughed at and been a horrible failure.

Seriously? We need another thread for this? Why didn't you make one thread for both Stop Drop & Roll and Money Money 2020?

It actually brings up a curious question. I mean Green Day likes to have side projects to produce "fun" records. And Billie has talked about the pressure of releasing something under "Green Day's" name, so I am just curious if they like "hold back" on what they want to release under "Green Day." Like do they only wait to produce something they know will be more commercially successful to play it on the safe side? :o Just a thought...maybe a crazy one at that -__-

Am i missing something what is up with all these dumb threads? Is this a joke..more importantly why didn't anyone tell me??

Bat out of Hell by Meat Loaf is one of the best albums of the 70's (in a way it was the American Idiot of its time, stayed in the charts for 10 years)

Not really sure if that was what the previous poster was referring to. Mind you, I can just hear them doing that, now that I think about it.

Extremely off topic and maybe very rude of me, so I apologise in advance. What does your name means?

Man people, it's called your Imagination, try to use it O-o This is a what if thread. Not "would they have ever done it", it's "what if they did?" Jeez.

Personally, I think if they did release is under Green Days name the album would have been much better than it already was. I see them putting a lot more work into it. I thought that Billies voice alongside new wave music was incredible and fit so well. I loved that record so much when I discovered it. If it had been the follow up to American Idiot, I would have been happy with it. A bit more work put into it and this could have been an amazing album, a worthy member of the catologue. Same for FBHT, these both could have been given a bit more love and boom, amazing works.

Guest DisapppearingBoy

What if Green Day was over after insomniac? What if UNO was DOS TRE was UNO DOS was TRE? Let's make countless of Speculation after all we got nothing to do!! lol

why the fuck are you saying they're Green Day?! they're not fucking green day! leave em alone!!

Green Day are much worse, green day suckkkkkkkkkk

lol

Well it's a good record. Soooo, I don't know. I still would have liked it, because I consider Money Money 2020 (and Stop Drop and Roll!!!, for that matter) Green Day albums anyway.

It actually brings up a curious question. I mean Green Day likes to have side projects to produce "fun" records. And Billie has talked about the pressure of releasing something under "Green Day's" name, so I am just curious if they like "hold back" on what they want to release under "Green Day." Like do they only wait to produce something they know will be more commercially successful to play it on the safe side? :o Just a thought...maybe a crazy one at that -__-

I've been thinking this for awhile. But it's not so much pressure from mainstream sales, to me its pressure from their most legendary albums, usually Dookie and American Idiot. Billie Joe and Mike have said it many times: they lived in the shadow of Dookie for years. And Billie said it again this time around, stating that 21st Century Breakdown was an attempt at topping American Idiot. The Trilogy is actually an attempt to distance themselves from all that and make the records they want to make, an experiment that I think was successful.

I think Spike would have made a kick-ass single, I would love for them to play it live

I LOVE Money Money 2020 but just can't imagine it being released under their name. It doesn't seem like it would be as fun. The whole alter-ego thing is fantastic and I can't picture it any other way.

Music critics would have lost their collective shit if Green Day released an album similar to Money Money 2020. I think that's the beauty of The Network, is that they only have one album and that it's a side project. I do like the simplicity and recording quality of the album and I would like to see Green Day incorporate those elements in future releases.

if they did it the same way i wouldnt mind off and on the topic "man i got it rough when drinking cough syrup just aint enough on and on im a teenage rebel im fucking bored" I fucking love those lines soo much especially during the live version

Archived