Billie Joe's Handwritten Trilogy Lyric Sheets (w/ alt. lyrics/titles, a few new songs)

Jack

After some snooping in ¡Quatro!, I was able to come up with 44 images of the handwritten lyric sheets that Billie Joe wrote for trilogy songs.

I think, around the 20-minute mark in the "¡Quatro - Highlights" portion of the documentary aired on TV, there was a scene where a ton of handwritten sheets were flashed across the screen. I found ¡Quatro! on the internet, and took screenshots of all the sheets. I sorted through them, took out duplicates, and cropped/edited some of them to make them easier to see and read. Though it seems like it for some, I didn't cut anything off of the images...the full sheets weren't flashed on the screen, only fragments of sheets. So only sections of the song are shown in some cases. And yes, some are shitty quality, but it's the best I can do until we get the HQ DVD version of the movie.

In all, I found lyric sheets or song arrangement sheets for 21 of the trilogy songs. I also found evidence of 4 songs that we'd maybe heard a little about/were played at secret shows, but didn't end up on any of the albums. These are "State Of Shock," "Gabriella" (which DOES have some different lyrics than "Amanda"), and (as far as I know), two totally unfamiliar songs, "I'm Alright," "Life Is So Plain" (title change?, I can't tell), and "Satellite." The images of the song boards with those last three new ones are in the "Misc." section.

For "Gabriella" and "State Of Shock," I ended up with a whole bunch of fragment images of the original lyric sheet. So, I pieced the lyrics together from those into full lyrics, which are also inside the spoilers for those two songs.

The most interesting bits in these images are all of the changed lyrics...songs like "Wild One," "X-Kid," and "Troublemaker" (among a handful of others) had alternate lyrics. "Dirty Rotten Bastards" even has two whole extra verses that never saw the light of day. There were even a few alternate song titles (for example, "Oh Love" used to be named "Life and Love" [see "Misc." section] ). Also, a funny note: throughout all these images that were flashed up on the screen for just a fraction of a second each, someone went through and blurred out all the cuss words. Every single one. I found that pretty funny.

I hope people find these interesting! Just the fact that these are the original translation for each song idea is really cool to me. I'll most likely be putting these on GDA sometime soon, for anyone who missed them on here. I figured I'd post them here too, just for the hell of it. :D I just stuck the full size images in spoilers, so I hope that works.

8th Avenue Serenade:

oH5GT.jpg
MtnwK.jpg

Amy:

dOFAZ.jpg

Angel Blue/Teenage Blue:

rCzMO.jpg

Brutal Love:

1tEPE.jpg

Carpe Diem:

ViU22.jpg

U5rxd.jpg

FSRtB.jpg

Dirty Rotten Bastards:

KXS9g.jpg

XptVM.jpg

bkngz.jpg

Z2MF7.jpg

Gabriella:

Full Lyrics:

I'm not playing with your mind

Unless you think I am

You're crushing my heart

Like a battering ram

GABRIELLA

I need another fix

Don't need an intervention

I'm here to get my kicks

Accomplishing your mission

GABRIELLA

You are a dog's best friend

You ain't no Cinderella

You are a thunderstorm

And I'm your umbrella

GABRIELLA

I am the living end

I am a dying breed

I am a girl's best friend

I am a diamond ring

GABRIELLA

nc3wj.jpg

jRHwO.jpg

85sTB.jpg

yMRoB.jpg

n6A6j.jpg

wgzvl.jpg

I'm Alright:

mS2nK.jpg

Kill The DJ:

aieNY.jpg

KKdR8.jpg

Lazy Bones:

sAeYs.png

lfvAk.jpg

Let Yourself Go:

csqPm.jpg

c3Zdi.jpg

Loss Of Control/Crushing Bastards:

BEvEx.jpg

(Miscellaneous):

JMzgd.jpg

fBXTZ.jpg

Dx9ID.jpg

Missing You:

7nxBF.jpg

wCKTX.jpg

1fhUN.jpg

Nightlife:

fg0Jh.jpg

E6ug5.jpg

See You Tonight:

5LA5X.jpg

Sex, Drugs, and Violence:

T2znK.jpg

PXR06.jpg

State Of Shock:

Rough Lyrics:

I'm going into a state of shock

I can twist (NO!)

I can hardly walk

My eyes are rollin'

In the back of my head

I'm black and blue

And I'm in the red silence

My tears are putting out my cigarette

The way remember

Make a plan amnesia

Going under anesthesia

Holding on for life

fjFnw.jpg

xRgGD.jpg

Troublemaker:

qPzwX.jpg

OMWaa.jpg

Wild One:

cPGUH.jpg

QR1fy.jpg

4mRaR.jpg

X-Kid:

SXow9.jpg

hJcJf.jpg

mjHXf.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man freaking awesome! It gives me hope that we may get some B-sides after all =]
I know, as fans, that's a bit selfish after getting 37 songs in 4 months ^-^' but what can I say.

Also, have we as fans ever been so incorporated/involved in the writing and recording process before this trilogy? They kept us in it fairly well, much better than any other group I listen to.

I really wish the first part of Dirty Rotten Bastards was a whole song. Looks like it was that way at one point.

Every song and line that was scrapped, was done so for a greater good and I both understand and respect that, but for some reason I do not get why they threw away the titular verse of Dirty Rotten Bastards. There's nothing wrong with that one, and it could've been used as an alteration in the repeated section before the "carried away" part, to sum up the song nicely with a long awaited reference to the title of the 6½ minute medley. It could have made the reprise of a part, only altered from swing-time to standard-time, less boring more interesting.

I'm just a rambler

A hurdy gurdy gambler

A love sick, a filthy swine

We're torn up in tatters

We're dirty rotten bastards

Singing for the deaf, dumb and blind

I really wish the first part of Dirty Rotten Bastards was a whole song. Looks like it was that way at one point.

Yes, I do think it ended up similar to Homecoming in that sense.

Probably a bunch of song snippets too catchy to throw away, but too short or unfinished to stand on their own.

Every song and line that was scrapped, was done so for a greater good and I both understand and respect that, but for some reason I do not get why they threw away the titular verse of Dirty Rotten Bastards. There's nothing wrong with that one, and it could've been used as an alteration in the repeated section before the "carried away" part, to sum up the song nicely with a long awaited reference to the title of the 6½ minute medley. It could have made the reprise of a part, only altered from swing-time to standard-time, less boring more interesting.

I'm just a rambler

A hurdy gurdy gambler

A love sick, a filthy swine

We're torn up in tatters

We're dirty rotten bastards

Singing for the deaf, dumb and blind

YES! Exactly! That verse is BRILLIANT, I have no idea why he'd throw that one away. It would fit PERFECTLY, but hey, we don't write the songs, do we? :lol:

Yay! :woot: Thanks for posting all those!

My fave part of Dirty Rotten Bastards was

Here's to the ramblers

the hurdy gurdy gamblers

the love sick and dirty minds

And "I'm gonna get you wet" were actual lyrics of Troublemaker. I'm like :mellow:

wow, good job! I think you have to sent it to GDA. It's interesting for all fans :) Great!

indeed

and the funny thing is that the line where the song name had originated was cut out

Thanks for going thru the trouble to do all that and posting it here! It's very interesting to see how the process works, and I love seeing the handwritten stuff :)

Thanks for posting! There's something magical about seeing handwritten, early incarnations of the songs we now enjoy. I thought State of Shock was particularly interesting, and not only because we got to see Billie attempt to spell "anesthesia". I spy lines that were recycled into a certain ninth track on Uno.

Pretty interesting, I like seeing how they laid out the songs and what happens at certain parts :) I really like Billie's handwriting too :happy:

Love how it says 'No BS' at the start of State of Shock too :lol:

"Fell For Snoo - fag"

Now that's interesting...

Where did you see that? I could not find it. This is really interesting, love looking at his "scribbling".

Where did you see that? I could not find it. This is really interesting, love looking at his "scribbling".

The third picture in "miscellaneous".

And "I'm gonna get you wet" were actual lyrics of Troublemaker. I'm like :mellow:

Mission accomplished.

:shifty:

Send me your crippled

Sucking on the nipple

The teet of the modern age

:blink:

That's awesome!!

And I just remembered that I still haven't watched iQuatro! (the released part)! But I don't know if I'll be able to find it now :lol: edit: I found it! :D

Does no one realise how awesome Gabriella could have been ? The part of it that's in Amanda is the best part of Amanda :P

Archived