Green Day Discography Facts

Iminyourcoffeemaker

I like this thread. It would be cool if someone found a reliable source for their total sales as well. Just so we could have a common place of reference for these things. :)

After the Axl Rose incident? ;D

I've been looking into the sales numbers, but it's really hard to find anything consistent/concrete. Usually I've found they differ by a few depending on the site.

178 songs.... I've never counted them!

You know when you put it that way it doesnt even seem like that many. O_o But when you pull up the "all songs" feature on Zune, it blows your mind.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The album artwork for Insomniac was made by Winston Smith who designed the Dead Kennedys' "DK" logo dk-logo.jpg

He named the insomniac picture "God Told Me To Skin You Alive" which was a lyric from the Dead Kennedys song "I Kill Children" and when Winston Smith showed it to Billie Joe, he got the reference immediately.

The album artwork for Insomniac was made by Winston Smith who designed the Dead Kennedys' "DK" logo dk-logo.jpg

He named the insomniac picture "God Told Me To Skin You Alive" which was a lyric from the Dead Kennedys song "I Kill Children" and when Winston Smith showed it to Billie Joe, he got the reference immediately.

I absolutely love that album cover/piece of art so much! Apparently they named it Insomniac because when they asked Winston Smith how he had the made it so quick he said he was an Insomniac and had lots of time.

And another thing I love about it is the 3 skulls on the front cover, one for each band member. See if you can find them all. ;) (look in the spoiler if you can't - I couldn't without being told where it was).

Two are fairly easy to spot but to see the other you have to look at the goldenish piece of 'driftwood' coming out the fire (which is at the very bottom of the cover just to the right of the middle) from just the right angle.

:D

I absolutely love that album cover/piece of art so much! Apparently they named it Insomniac because when they asked Winston Smith how he had the made it so quick he said he was an Insomniac and had lots of time.

And another thing I love about it is the that there are 3 skulls on the front cover, one for each band member. See if you can find them all. ;) (look in the spoiler if you can't - I couldn't without being told where it was).

Two are fairly easy to spot but to see the other you have to look at the goldenish piece of 'driftwood' coming out the fire (which is at the very bottom of the cover just to the right of the middle) from just the right angle.

:D

I've heard 2 different reasons for naming it Insomniac, yours is one of them, the other was that as a baby, Joey Armstrong cried all night and Billie Joe got very little sleep! but yeah it took me forever to find the 3 skulls but i did :)

It was about the "real" studio albums I think. So, he's right.

but both weren't new material but a compilation of stuff that was already released.

Why can't Shenanigans be considered a studio album?

That'd be the same as calling International Superhits one.

Because it's not a studio album?

It can't be considered a studio album because it's a compilation of B-sides and covers.

Songs weren't created at the same time or in the same process of creation (that's why I consider the trilogy as a whole and not as separate albums). There's no link between On the Wagon, a song created during Dookie days, & Suffocate, a song created during the Nimrod days. Plus, there was no single.

That's why Shenanigans can't be considered as a studio album.

It can't be considered a studio album because it's a compilation of B-sides and covers.

Songs weren't created at the same time or in the same process of creation (that's why I consider the trilogy as a whole and not as separate albums). There's no link between On the Wagon, a song created during Dookie days, & Suffocate, a song created during the Nimrod days. Plus, there was no single.

That's why Shenanigans can't be considered as a studio album.

Only really useful answer :lol: thanks

SALES worldwide
39/Smooth : couldn't find sorry
Kerplunk : 4 millions
Dookie : 25 millions
Insomniac : 2,1 millions
Nimrod : 2,1 millions
Warning : 2,4 millions
American Idiot : 14 millions
21st CB : don't know but USA 1 million
Uno : US : 256 000
Dos : US : 117 000
Tré : US : 82 000

Total ; 65 millions

** Dookie :o can't believe this is almost the double of AI.

tight wad hill is also considered to be the original title of their album Insomniac back then.

Emenius Sleepus and Ha ha you're dead were written by Mike

''The song DUI, by Tre Cool was supposed to appear on Shenanigans. The track was scratched, and was said to be planned to be released only on the Japanese verison of Shenanigans. The Japanese verison was released, minus DUI. The CD inlay for the regular Shenanigans has D.U.I. on the inside, but it is spray painted out. ''

Can someone add when each album was recording

39 Smooth

December 29, 1989 – January 2, 1990 at the Art of Ears Studios in San Francisco, California

Kerplunk

May–September 1991 at Art of Ears Studios in San Francisco, California

Dookie

September–October 1993 at Fantasy Studios in Berkeley, California

Insomniac

December 1994–May 1995 at Fantasy Studios in Berkeley, California

Nimrod

March–July 1997 at Conway Studios in Los Angeles

Warning

April 1-May 25, 2000 at Studio 880 in Oakland, California

American Idiot

April 18, 2003–March 26, 2004 at Studio 880 in Oakland and Ocean Way Recording in Hollywood

21 CB

January 2008 – April 2009 at Ocean Way Recording in Hollywood; Studio 880 in Oakland, California; Jel Studios in Newport Beach, California; Costa Mesa Studios in Costa Mesa, California

Uno, Dos, Tre

February–June 2012 at Jingletown Studios in Oakland, California

39 Smooth

December 29, 1989 – January 2, 1990 at the Art of Ears Studios in San Francisco, California

Kerplunk

May–September 1991 at Art of Ears Studios in San Francisco, California

Dookie

September–October 1993 at Fantasy Studios in Berkeley, California

Insomniac

December 1994–May 1995 at Fantasy Studios in Berkeley, California

Nimrod

March–July 1997 at Conway Studios in Los Angeles

Warning

April 1-May 25, 2000 at Studio 880 in Oakland, California

American Idiot

April 18, 2003–March 26, 2004 at Studio 880 in Oakland and Ocean Way Recording in Hollywood

21 CB

January 2008 – April 2009 at Ocean Way Recording in Hollywood; Studio 880 in Oakland, California; Jel Studios in Newport Beach, California; Costa Mesa Studios in Costa Mesa, California

Uno, Dos, Tre

February–June 2012 at Jingletown Studios in Oakland, California

That's new for me. The time spend in AI and 21st is really long. A sign that they wanted to do a good job.

SALES worldwide

Total ; 65 millions

39/smooth - 900 000

21CB - 1,005,000

Genius = couple of hours on Google.

All iTunes and a calculator actually. The only one I used google for was the span between release dates.

All iTunes and a calculator actually. The only one I used google for was the span between release dates.

I was just pointing out, your genius was being a tad exaggerated :P

SALES worldwide

Total ; 65 millions

70 million... It has been updated a few weeks ago, and I am pretty sure Nimrod and Insomnica sold more ;)

Well, I spread the word again: 1039/sosh is not an album, is a compilation. You should take 21stCB as their album with most tracks. And take the b-sides too.

For The Ballad of Wilhem Fink, I know that is credited as Green Day in the album, but only BJ write/perform the song.

Green Day, until 93, used to play in D tunning. They also record 1000 Hours and Slappy Ep with that tunning. Kerplunk is tuned by ear, and is something between Eb and D. Dookie and Insomniac are in Eb, Nimrod and the trilogy in E, Warning and 21stCB uses E and Eb. American Idiot songs are all in E, except Whatsername that is in Drop-D

1000 Hours is in Eb, not D tuning. I'm also pretty sure that the cover of knowledge is in standard. 39/Smooth and the extra song (I Want to Be Alone) are in standard. On Kerplunk, they tried to tune in standard by ear and which proves that they suck at tuning by ear. Only one song on Warning (Misery) and two songs on 21t Century Breakdown (21st Century Breakdown, Before the Lobotomy) are in Eb and one song on 21cb (Restless Heart Syndrome) is in D tuning. The EP that sounds most offtuned is Sweet Chilldren which sounds a tiny bit lower than Kerplunk.

SALES worldwide

It has had 10 more years of sales, plus it was out before the age of "easy/free availability" from the Internet.

Personally, I prefer Warning to Dookie, and think in another 10 years AI may end up with a higher total sales figure than Dookie.

1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours and Kerplunk guitars are believed to have been tuned by ear. They sit around a half step down from standard tuning.

I don't know about guitar but for early Green Day bass music, everything I've found from Dookie and early has been a half-step down. The only thing I've learned to play from Insomniac on bass is Brain Stew and I think (if I remember correctly) that's standard tuning.

SALES worldwide

Total ; 65 millions

Look at how low the trilogy is :(

Archived