John Kiffmeyer and Sean Hughes

Akshat

John said, "Oh, it's alright if Tre replaces me for a couple of shows. But I'm still the drummer."

He's waiting for the right time to come back...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'Pete Best Syndrome: 10 Dudes Who Left Big Bands To Wallow In Obscurity'

John Kiffmeyer (A.K.A. Al Sobrante of Green Day
15-year-old friends Billie Joe Armstrong and Mike Dirnt invited Isocracy drummer Kiffmeyer to join their fledgling group Sweet Child in 1987. They changed their name to avoid confusion with local band Sweet Baby in time for their debut EP 1,000 Hours in 1989. Following Green Day's first national tour and the release of their first full-legnth 39/Smooth, Kiffmeyer left the group to attend Humboldt State University, turning over the drummer's seat to Tre Cool. Kiffmeyer currently lives in the San Francisco area and works as a Director of Photography.

http://www.vh1.com/music/tuner/2013-08-09/10-guys-left-bands-before-made-it-big/

• 2 weeks later...

Probably posted (a million times) before but since this topic is titled "John Kiffmeyer and Sean Huges" which is kind of general and this is an amusing old interview (from Flipside) with Green Day when John was a member and I figured it wouldn't hurt to post it for those who haven't seen it before.

5o6dkd3rombk.gif

bupx67wbi6hy.gifhktu6v51h496.gif

Probably posted (a million times) before but since this topic is titled "John Kiffmeyer and Sean Huges" which is kind of general and this is an amusing old interview (from Flipside) with Green Day when John was a member and I figured it wouldn't hurt to post it for those who haven't seen it before.

[PICS REMOVED]

John: "At The Library" - girl song. "Rest" - girl song...

Billie: "Rest" is about absolutely nothing...

John: "Can't you hear me, I'm calling your name... is it hello or goodbye" tell me that isn't a girl song!

Billie: It could be if I was saying it that way, but I'm saying "that cleem in urize" (he spelled it), see that doesn't mean anything.

What a gem.

I know why John isn't in the band anymore, Billie and Mike couldn't get a word in!

My favorite: Billie: If I had sex, we'd run out of band material.

Yeah this interview is brilliant. Parts of it cracked me up like Billie saying "I don't believe in sex" and "I don't like to have sex"...then fast forward a few years (and mix in some "pharmacuticals") and he writes Fuck Time. Lol.

I know why John isn't in the band anymore, Billie and Mike couldn't get a word in!

My favorite: Billie: If I had sex, we'd run out of band material.

Pretty much. John was kinda the front man. He was well known on the scene from being in Isocracy, so it was natural for him to do that since he was more well known

I like John, but I think it's safe to say that Tre was the better man for the job.

Green Day's Wikipedia page keeps adding more and more ex-members. Jason Velva, Sean Hughes, Raj Punjaba, John Kiffmeyer and Dave Henwood. Why? All these pre-1989 guys weren't ever part of Green Day. They were Sweet Children, if anything at all. I would say the only official ex-member of Green Day would be: John Kiffmeyer. Dave Henwood? He had a writing/drumming credit on one song, why is he listed at all? As far as the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame, who is being inducted? Billie, Mike and Tre of course. but what about Jason or John?

Green Day's Wikipedia page keeps adding more and more ex-members. Jason Velva, Sean Hughes, Raj Punjaba, John Kiffmeyer and Dave Henwood. Why? All these pre-1989 guys weren't ever part of Green Day. They were Sweet Children, if anything at all. I would say the only official ex-member of Green Day would be: John Kiffmeyer. Dave Henwood? He had a writing/drumming credit on one song, why is he listed at all? As far as the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame, who is being inducted? Billie, Mike and Tre of course. but what about Jason or John?

I believe it is just Billie, Mike and Tre

Is that the first Green Day interview on record? It's the only I can remember from when John was in the band so I guess it is. Really interesting (and funny :lol:) to read.

Also I was listening to 39/Smooth with my little nephew the other day and told him it was a different drummer called John playing on the album, and he paused and listened for a moment and said "Tre Cool is better", haha.

Is that the first Green Day interview on record? It's the only I can remember from when John was in the band so I guess it is. Really interesting (and funny :lol:) to read.

Also I was listening to 39/Smooth with my little nephew the other day and told him it was a different drummer called John playing on the album, and he paused and listened for a moment and said "Tre Cool is better", haha.

KALX 89 is the first interview we have

You could always just edit it and take them out? They were probably just looking to add as much info as they could and went OTT.

• 3 months later...

:lol:

And looks like all the discussion about whether they like each other can be put to rest.

• 1 year later...

I love that they're hanging out now. I remember reading that interview Larry did with Billie (2009?) and Billie was so negative about John so it's nice to see they're friends again. 

5 minutes ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

I love that they're hanging out now. I remember reading that interview Larry did with Billie (2009?) and Billie was so negative about John so it's nice to see they're friends again. 

That interview took place in late 2001 - early 2002 though.

2 hours ago, Ham Pascale said:

That interview took place in late 2001 - early 2002 though.

That's why I put a "?". I wasn't sure when it was. It doesn't change my point though. It was still a significantly long time after Johns departure to still hold a petty grudge. By the time of this interview Green Day had become hugely successful without him yet Billie, now in his early thirties and no longer a struggling teenager as he was when John left, was still hugely resentful of John and spoke of him with a lot of anger when he said he (Billie) was never even told directly that he intended to leave and that he heard it from Aaron Elliot (Cometbus) which he almost completely contradicted on Howard Sterns show. It seems now Billie wants to make Johns departure appear as though it was always planned or certainly never contentious despite everything he's said in the past. I mean he was really rough on him at times. Obviously he's buried the hatchet and now wants to bury the past! John must be a fairly forgiving guy or else he just never bothered reading/following what Billie said about him over the years :lol: It's nice that they sorted their shit out eventually. :hug:

• 2 years later...

My family is actually really close friends with Sean. I actually only just found out recently that he was in GD in the late 80’s so I’m pretty surprised that he used to be associated with a popular band. He has Halloween parties ever year a his house and he’s my parents friends mostly. I see him everyday after school picking up my fellow high school swim team members. I’m going to try and ask him about it but yeah my parents just mentioned that he was in the band so it’s an interesting topic (:

Archived