John Kiffmeyer and Sean Hughes

Akshat

Amazing story told by Billie, regarding a show from 1990: "We played in Rhode Island at this skate ramp. I think one of kids who ran, his father was in the mob, because there were all these kids drinking 40s outside, and the cops drove by without saying a word.

We had a few day off, so this girl said she would have a party at her house. Her dad had a massive collection of antique bottles in the living room. We knew the would come crashing down, so Aaron, Mike, Sean, John and I put duct tape across all the bottles. John was missing a cymbal stand so this girl who was hosting us took a piece of rope, and people took turns just holding it up. As soon as we started playing, the house just got completely wrecked. That was the first time I ever saw Aaron get really drunk.

I urinated from the top of the stairs on this young couple that was getting together for the first time. People were throwing everything out of the refridgerator onto John. So John got naked and wrapped his whole body in Saran Wrap, running around being Saran Man.

John was trying to get together with this girl but he couldn't remember her name, so he got a bunch of eggs and walked around to each person going, "Say your name." When you said it, he would smash an egg over his head. Nobody really had any etiquette when it came to dating at the time. There were all kinds of stupid shit. I remember waking up the next day, and someone was running through house with a chainsaw. And there were chickens all over the floor."

I love John. What a great guy.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this had been my house, I would have killed everybody and ripped them to shreds. :mad: There would be no Green Day today... :whistle

If this had been my house, I would have killed everybody and ripped them to shreds. :mad: There would be no Green Day today... :whistle

I've actually had chickens in my house before, shit like that happens when you leave the back door open :P

But it'd be so worth it to have 1990 Green Day play at your house. Omg. If Billie pissed off of my stairs :lol:

He does not. He seems like he's embarrassed that he was once part of Green Day.

did he tell you that? great how much you know...

i like john and his drumming. and we heard only one side of the story and i think both sides have their fault about how it ended. and to me billies trash talking in this interview in 2002 or whenever that was, seemed kinda low. but it only showed that he maybe cared more about john than he'd like to admit.

and i think it's funny how johns behaviour (not talking bad about green day in any way, not accepting checks, not being bitter) after he left is something some members on here hold against him. i don't really know anything about him or his life, but to me that indicates strenght of character. some people obviously can't deal with the fact, that others have values they won't compromise for cash...

• 1 month later...

Maybe I just have no idea what I'm talking about, but didn't Billie post something on Instagram or Twitter or something a while back saying that John had come to see one of their shows? I swear I saw something like that.

Found it: http://instagram.com/p/g7icPuJFSB/

Maybe I just have no idea what I'm talking about, but didn't Billie post something on Instagram or Twitter or something a while back saying that John had come to see one of their shows? I swear I saw something like that.

Yeah, at AT&T park in SF when they did the Dreamforce Gala. I doubt John came to specifically see them, but to attend the gala and benefit that instead. I'd love to know if he met up with Mike too.

• 3 weeks later...

Cool! I never knew what show was his last with them.

Yeah...don't remind Tre lol.

Amazing story told by Billie, regarding a show from 1990: "We played in Rhode Island at this skate ramp. I think one of kids who ran, his father was in the mob, because there were all these kids drinking 40s outside, and the cops drove by without saying a word.

We had a few day off, so this girl said she would have a party at her house. Her dad had a massive collection of antique bottles in the living room. We knew the would come crashing down, so Aaron, Mike, Sean, John and I put duct tape across all the bottles. John was missing a cymbal stand so this girl who was hosting us took a piece of rope, and people took turns just holding it up. As soon as we started playing, the house just got completely wrecked. That was the first time I ever saw Aaron get really drunk.

I urinated from the top of the stairs on this young couple that was getting together for the first time. People were throwing everything out of the refridgerator onto John. So John got naked and wrapped his whole body in Saran Wrap, running around being Saran Man.

John was trying to get together with this girl but he couldn't remember her name, so he got a bunch of eggs and walked around to each person going, "Say your name." When you said it, he would smash an egg over his head. Nobody really had any etiquette when it came to dating at the time. There were all kinds of stupid shit. I remember waking up the next day, and someone was running through house with a chainsaw. And there were chickens all over the floor."

Oh my god that's hillarious! I've heard parts of it before but not it all. Do you know where it's from?

Oh my god that's hillarious! I've heard parts of it before but not it all. Do you know where it's from?

Probably from Cometbus

Probably, at that time drummer was Jason Andrew Relva, and according to Larry Livermore there was a drummer between John and Tre, but he was in a band only for 2 weeks

Dave E.C. He was always intended to be a temporary drummer, but he got the job done, and even helped pen "2,000 Light Years Away".

If I recall correctly, Sean Hughes is still friends with the band, but that was a while ago when I heard it. Still, his departure wasn't on bad terms by any means. He just saw Mike was better at bass and left him to it.

Also, it seems like people like to create drama where there is none. And people also like to tell tales about John. While John may have been at odds with the band when he left, keep in mind that they were kids then. They're all grown men with families now, and they don't cling to any juvenile grudges. Just because John opted to stay out of the spotlight doesn't mean he harbors some kind of vendetta against his former band. Now that that little rant's over, people seem to have completely overlooked when Billie talked about meeting up with John himself:

http://instagram.com/p/g7icPuJFSB/

"Still apart of the GD family after all these years." Let's leave it at that, people

Probably from Cometbus

It's from Gimme Something Better.

Dave E.C. He was always intended to be a temporary drummer, but he got the job done, and even helped pen "2,000 Light Years Away".

If I recall correctly, Sean Hughes is still friends with the band, but that was a while ago when I heard it. Still, his departure wasn't on bad terms by any means. He just saw Mike was better at bass and left him to it.

Also, it seems like people like to create drama where there is none. And people also like to tell tales about John. While John may have been at odds with the band when he left, keep in mind that they were kids then. They're all grown men with families now, and they don't cling to any juvenile grudges. Just because John opted to stay out of the spotlight doesn't mean he harbors some kind of vendetta against his former band. Now that that little rant's over, people seem to have completely overlooked when Billie talked about meeting up with John himself:

http://instagram.com/p/g7icPuJFSB/

"Still apart of the GD family after all these years." Let's leave it at that, people

Aaron Cometbus did play with the band too before Tre joined (after Al left) for a few weeks. Also many years after John left Billie was interviewed by Larry Livermore (2002 if I remember cottectly) and he was utterly pissed at him. Ranted for ages. Said stuff about him bwing the definition of trust fund punk etc etc...really lay into him. Billie was no kid at that time. He was the married adult with children who you think don't hold grudges. He may have posted that picture last year but it is at odds with his attitude up to that point. If anyone is creating drama it would be GD themselves over the years.

http://larrylivermore.com/?p=232

http://larrylivermore.com/?p=295

Okay so what happened to John Kiffmeyer? Green Day's original drummer?? Wikipedia says he is in san francisco with his wife and kids coaching baseball.Does he talk to the band? How did he just dissappear suddenly??

And what about sean hughes? Was he even associated with the band.IDK wikipedia says he was the basscist from 1987-88, during the time mike played a RYTHM GUITAR.Idk I really want to know what's up with these former member, especially John Kiffmeyer/Al Sobrante.

I have never even seen a proper picture of them :/

John Kiffmeyer never disappeared, cause he was never really famous. In some sense his name only reappeared in some weird infamous way all these years later. He is probably more famous now than he ever was. I swear I don't think fans of the 90's knew or cared who he was. Bet he was just a regular guy in every way throughout that decade, so why shoulnd't he still be?

Very early on he chose another life, not even knowing what GD would become. Shame on him if he regrets it, good for him if he doesn't. But to me it doesn't seem like he contributed that much to the band, which is probably why he chose to leave and pursuit other things.

Sean Hughes, why even?

Also many years after John left Billie was interviewed by Larry Livermore (2002 if I remember cottectly) and he was utterly pissed at him. Ranted for ages. Said stuff about him bwing the definition of trust fund punk etc etc...really lay into him. Billie was no kid at that time. He was the married adult with children who you think don't hold grudges. He may have posted that picture last year but it is at odds with his attitude up to that point. If anyone is creating drama it would be GD themselves over the years.

http://larrylivermore.com/?p=232

http://larrylivermore.com/?p=295

Interesting interview, never read it before. Still, there was nothing too vindictive there, Billie was just being upfront about how he felt at the time John left, which I'd imagine is different than many years later. I didn't really see that as a low blow, just that him leaving really had an effect on the band.

Did we read the same interview?! Even Larry acknowledged that they were spending a large part of the interview thrashing John to which Billie responded that ,"he deserves it sometimes".

Alright, I admit I thought they were done talking about John once the conversation shifted to Tre, but apparently not. Things did get a little touchy by that point in the interview, I think the "mediocre drummer at best" was a little harsh there. Still, they're friends now, so dwelling on this interview from a decade ago shouldn't dictate how he feels in the present.

Alright, I admit I thought they were done talking about John once the conversation shifted to Tre, but apparently not. Things did get a little touchy by that point in the interview, I think the "mediocre drummer at best" was a little harsh there. Still, they're friends now, so dwelling on this interview from a decade ago shouldn't dictate how he feels in the present.

But Trillie was pointing out that they weren't always friends after the split and there was drama wasn't people creating it as you had said in your first post

But Trillie was pointing out that they weren't always friends after the split and there was drama wasn't people creating it as you had said in your first post

Exactly. This.

...But to me it doesn't seem like he contributed that much to the band...

If you put it this way, there would be no Green Day as we know them today - hell, there'd be no Green Day at all! John got them shows at Gilman, put together their first tour and spread the word around the scene about them, it was John who came up with a name "Green Day", he named a lot of early Green Day songs and even wrote a song - to name a few of his contributions to the band. We all know that John is a bit of jerk and a nutter, but without him Green Day wouldn't get farther their own garages.

If you put it this way, there would be no Green Day as we know them today - hell, there'd be no Green Day at all! John got them shows at Gilman, put together their first tour and spread the word around the scene about them, it was John who came up with a name "Green Day", he named a lot of early Green Day songs and even wrote a song - to name a few of his contributions to the band. We all know that John is a bit of jerk and a nutter, but without him Green Day wouldn't get farther their own garages.

Yes, he has circumstantial credit for where the band is today, and maybe that it even exists to begin with, but that doesn't really mean anything to me. He was a half decent drummer, and the song he wrote is not terribly great. And it was Billie Joe and Mike Dirnt who had all the stage presence in their early performances. Hadn't Kiffmeyer left it could be argued that Green Day wouldn't exist today either. It was Kerplunk! that elevated them in their local scene and got them shows all around USA and Europe, and Dookie that made their career possible. They wouldn't have made Dookie without Tré Cool.

So if all Kiffmeyer contributed with was booking some of the early shows, write one song and do a decent job drumming, I'm still not that impressed. It's peanuts to what the band has later accomplished, with Tré on board. But it seems he's interesting to people just for the fact that he was in Green Day.

Yes, he has circumstantial credit for where the band is today, and maybe that it even exists to begin with, but that doesn't really mean anything to me. He was a half decent drummer, and the song he wrote is not terribly great. And it was Billie Joe and Mike Dirnt who had all the stage presence in their early performances. Hadn't Kiffmeyer left it could be argued that Green Day wouldn't exist today either. It was Kerplunk! that elevated them in their local scene and got them shows all around USA and Europe, and Dookie that made their career possible. They wouldn't have made Dookie without Tré Cool.

So if all Kiffmeyer contributed with was booking some of the early shows, write one song and do a decent job drumming, I'm still not that impressed. It's peanuts to what the band has later accomplished, with Tré on board. But it seems he's interesting to people just for the fact that he was in Green Day.

Good point :)

All I wanted to say that John played a key role to Green Day at early stage of the band - a few shows, a song, a van and a decent drummer is more than it seems to a very young band. John would be no use to GD with his goofy ideas in, like, Kerplunk, or Dookie era.

Tre did a helluva lot to the band, a LOT LOT LOT more than John - and no one can't argue with that.

=========================

Here's a story from Larry Livermore on John's departure: They heard about it from other people. John's reaction was: "Well, we're not breaking up the band, we're just gonna go on hiatus for awhile. We can still play shows, like vacations, stuff like that." To him, it was more just something you do. There would always be opportunities. Billie told me he was just beside himself. He left school, just a few weeks before graduation. Figured all he was ever gonna do was play music, he didn't anything else. And suddenly the band was falling apart. They debated for a long time over whether it was right to replace him.

Around September they said they were gonna do a show with Tre playing. I went to it, and it just jelled really well. I said, I guess that's the end of the Lookouts.

It dragged on for a few months. John said, "Oh, it's alright if Tre replaces me for a couple of shows. But I'm still the drummer." A couple of times he showed up at shows at the last minute, when Tre was expecting to play, and said, "No, I'm playing."

John had plenty of stage prescense. Listen to early recordings, John would talk to the audience the way Billie and Mike do. John was a member of the punk scene from Isocracy, he knew a lot of the people around Berkeley. And the song he wrote is amazing, an fun as hell to play on guitar. And why don't you open up your Kerplunk CD and look at the liner notes. "Executive Producer: Al Sobrante". He still played a part at that point. And Green Day toured Europe before Kerplunk was even out, they just began playing a few Kerplunk songs on that tour. I just don't like Tre as much as I do John. Mostly for his personality I guess. So forgive me for being a little one-sided. But that's my two cents that I wanted to throw in. You don't have to like John, but don't try to make it seem like he didn't do shit. I'd take 39/Smooth over Dookie any day.

Archived