John Kiffmeyer and Sean Hughes

Akshat

Okay so what happened to John Kiffmeyer? Green Day's original drummer?? Wikipedia says he is in san francisco with his wife and kids coaching baseball.Does he talk to the band? How did he just dissappear suddenly??

And what about sean hughes? Was he even associated with the band.IDK wikipedia says he was the basscist from 1987-88, during the time mike played a RYTHM GUITAR.Idk I really want to know what's up with these former member, especially John Kiffmeyer/Al Sobrante.

I have never even seen a proper picture of them :/

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John didn't really "Disappear". He left the band to go to college. Billie and Mike eventually replaced him with Tre. And, from what I've seen/heard, it doesn't seem that he has talked to the band in a long, long time.

Sean Hughes did play with the original incarnation of Sweet Children, when they were still practicing at Billie's house. One day, he had to leave practice to go to a dentist appointment or something, and while he was gone, Billie had Mike try his hand at the bass, so they could still jam without him. The rest, as they say, is history. And, no, he has never been considered a formal member of the band, since his time ended before they even played their first real gig.

no, he has never been considered a formal member of the band, since his time ended before they even played their first real gig.

I think so too.That guy who makes the green day wikipedia page is crazy.He added Jason White amoung the official members.He has'nt even entered the number of records sold by green day carefully.On calculating it comes out to be above 80 million

I wonder what it must feel like for these guys, especially John, to see the band having so much success. Does he think about what could have been had he stayed with them? I wonder if they would have achieved as much as they have had he stayed.

I wonder what it must feel like for these guys, especially John, to see the band having so much success. Does he think about what could have been had he stayed with them? I wonder if they would have achieved as much as they have had he stayed.

I remember hearing an interview with someone, i think it was the guy from Poison Ivy, who said that John told them (Billie and Mike) that they were better than him at playing music and were taking it more seriously than he wanted to, so in a way he didn't want to hold them back.

I think so too.That guy who makes the green day wikipedia page is crazy.He added Jason White amoung the official members.He has'nt even entered the number of records sold by green day carefully.On calculating it comes out to be above 80 million

That awkward moment when Jason is actually an official member of the band (as of Uno).

John didn't really "Disappear". He left the band to go to college. Billie and Mike eventually replaced him with Tre. And, from what I've seen/heard, it doesn't seem that he has talked to the band in a long, long time.

Sean Hughes did play with the original incarnation of Sweet Children, when they were still practicing at Billie's house. One day, he had to leave practice to go to a dentist appointment or something, and while he was gone, Billie had Mike try his hand at the bass, so they could still jam without him. The rest, as they say, is history. And, no, he has never been considered a formal member of the band, since his time ended before they even played their first real gig.

Who was the drummer at that time? John?

Green Day Authority says that Sean was originally the drummer, not bassist. Is it a mistake?

Who was the drummer at that time? Jonh?

Green Day Authority says that Sean was originally the drummer, not bassist. Is it a mistake?

Probably, at that time drummer was Jason Andrew Relva, and according to Larry Livermore there was a drummer between John and Tre, but he was in a band only for 2 weeks

I remember hearing an interview with someone, i think it was the guy from Poison Ivy, who said that John told them (Billie and Mike) that they were better than him at playing music and were taking it more seriously than he wanted to, so in a way he didn't want to hold them back.

In "Nobody Likes You" it says that John left for college and expected them to wait for him and play with him on breaks, Billie and Mike didn't want to wait for him so they got Tré to play for them, when Green Day was playing a show (don't remember where, though) and John came and said that he was gonna play, that was the last show they played with him.

Theres an interview with Billie Joe done by Larry Livermore (it's on his site) where Billie mentions that John never actually told them he was leaving the band. So when they picked Tre to replace him they returned the favor and never told him.

From what I understand, John wouldn't have liked to see Green Day on the path they took, so I really doubt he's bitter at their success.

I do wonder if he's continued to make money off the first album.

Theres an interview with Billie Joe done by Larry Livermore (it's on his site) where Billie mentions that John never actually told them he was leaving the band. So when they picked Tre to replace him they returned the favor and never told him.

From what I understand, John wouldn't have liked to see Green Day on the path they took, so I really doubt he's bitter at their success.

Apparently he gets royalty checks but doesn't cash them.

I know that Sean is a big friend of Mike and Billie and their families too :happy: They're still hanging out together nowadays, and Sean's sister is Jennifer....That Jennifer....the girl Billie fell in love with in the early days :)

ugtOo.jpg This is a recent pic of John ( I covered the kid, you can easly find a lot of photos if you googled it)

and about Sean's pic, he has a Facebook account so is easy find pics of him too :happy:

I also know that there was a showdown between Tre and John at one show since they both showed up to play the show.

I've heard this too. Not sure where from though. I don't understand why he wouldn't though.

I also know that there was a showdown between Tre and John at one show since they both showed up to play the show.

I've heard this too. Not sure where from though. I don't understand why he wouldn't though.

I'm thinking it might have come from an issue of Cometbus ... I can't think where else it would have come from. And I guess a matter of pride or something ...

That's what I mentioned, Al played that show and that was their last with him.

I vaguely recall that was a show in Petaluma, and that Tre had been in the band at that point while John was in college, and John came back for break or something, and just took the gig away from Tre, and Billie and Mike kind of let it happen, and Billie felt really bad about doing that because Tre was really their drummer at that point.

DRAMZ!

I think we all heard this from the interview with Larry. Not sure though :lol:

That awkward moment when Jason is actually an official member of the band (as of Uno).

No He's not.Check Green Day's facebook page or greenday.com, there is no mention of him being an official member.He did not even appear in the recent green day videos(just a "cameo" in oh love).Also, there aint no instagram account of him.Just that a magazine quoted billie saying jasoon is an official member and that guy took it seriousy

No He's not.Check Green Day's facebook page or greenday.com, there is no mention of him being an official member.He did not even appear in the recent green day videos(just a "cameo" in oh love).Also, there aint no instagram account of him.Just that a magazine quoted billie saying jasoon is an official member and that guy took it seriousy

he is an official member... there's SEVERAL magazines of Billie saying this...

plus he was added to GD's contract labels do NOT add just anyone to contracts

he does have an instagram account jason_cuatroxx

you should get your facts straight before saying stuff wrong

I wonder if John knows there's a community of people wondering about him and his existence :mellow:

Jason White *is* an official member. Or junior member, however you want to see it, lol. But he is a part of the band now. :)

But Wikipedia is contributed to by people all over the globe, not just one dude. And, yeah, generally-speaking, not always the most accurate info source.

I remember someone asking Billie this once. He said he didn't think Green Day would've made i as big as they did without Tre. John, supposedly, didn't care about being famous and didn't want to be. Punx 4 Lyf and all that. So I'm not sure how he feels.

I guess I'll do the noble thing and ask him to send them over to me so he doesn't have to worry about selling out.

I'm thinking it might have come from an issue of Cometbus ... I can't think where else it would have come from. And I guess a matter of pride or something ...

Yes. Cometbus #54 is where Aaron mentions Al/John not cashing his royalty checks.

I vaguely recall that was a show in Petaluma, and that Tre had been in the band at that point while John was in college, and John came back for break or something, and just took the gig away from Tre, and Billie and Mike kind of let it happen, and Billie felt really bad about doing that because Tre was really their drummer at that point.

DRAMZ!

I think we all heard this from the interview with Larry. Not sure though :lol:

Yeah, Billie mentioned all that in Larry's interview. Don't know if he said it anywhere else as well. And considering that interview was in 2001/2002, you could tell there were still a lot of unresolved tensions there. DRAMZ indeed lol

Archived