Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

John Kiffmeyer and Sean Hughes

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

Akshat

Akshat
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Joined Oct 27, 2012
  • 710 rep

Okay so what happened to John Kiffmeyer? Green Day's original drummer?? Wikipedia says he is in san francisco with his wife and kids coaching baseball.Does he talk to the band? How did he just dissappear suddenly??

And what about sean hughes? Was he even associated with the band.IDK wikipedia says he was the basscist from 1987-88, during the time  mike played a RYTHM GUITAR.Idk I really want to know what's up with these former member, especially John Kiffmeyer/Al Sobrante.

I have never even seen a proper picture of them :/

• thatdude03 likes this

gerardsangel4977

gerardsangel4977
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts
  • Joined Nov 19, 2007
  • 550 rep

John didn't really "Disappear". He left the band to go to college. Billie and Mike eventually replaced him with Tre. And, from what I've seen/heard, it doesn't seem that he has talked to the band in a long, long time.

Sean Hughes did play with the original incarnation of Sweet Children, when they were still practicing at Billie's house. One day, he had to leave practice to go to a dentist appointment or something, and while he was gone, Billie had Mike try his hand at the bass, so they could still jam without him. The rest, as they say, is history. And, no, he has never been considered a formal member of the band, since his time ended before they even played their first real gig.

• X-Kid-X likes this

Akshat

Akshat
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Joined Oct 27, 2012
  • 710 rep
 no, he has never been considered a formal member of the band, since his time ended before they even played their first real gig.

I think so too.That guy who makes the green day wikipedia page is crazy.He added Jason White amoung the official members.He has'nt even entered the number of records sold by green day carefully.On calculating it comes out to be above 80 million

Neon Light

Neon Light
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Joined Jan 22, 2010
  • 439 rep
I wonder what it must feel like for these guys, especially John, to see the band having so much success. Does he think about what could have been had he stayed with them? I wonder if they would have achieved as much as they have had he stayed.
  • Davis Weiss, X-Kid-X and Jean like this

inthehallwaynow

inthehallwaynow
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • Joined Sep 22, 2012
  • 5,272 rep

and it was heard he was never seen AGAIN! oooooo!

• Davis Weiss and Mykee Mexx like this

San Miguel

San Miguel
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts
  • Joined Aug 13, 2011
  • 376 rep
I wonder what it must feel like for these guys, especially John, to see the band having so much success. Does he think about what could have been had he stayed with them? I wonder if they would have achieved as much as they have had he stayed.

I remember hearing an interview with someone, i think it was the guy from Poison Ivy, who said that John told them (Billie and Mike) that they were better than him at playing music and were taking it more seriously than he wanted to, so in a way he didn't want to hold them back.

• Mary711, Ham Sascale and Cob like this

Lady_Rufus

Lady_Rufus
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  • Joined Mar 16, 2008
  • 208 rep

POPULAR

I think so too.That guy who makes the green day wikipedia page is crazy.He added Jason White amoung the official members.He has'nt even entered the number of records sold by green day carefully.On calculating it comes out to be above 80 million

That awkward moment when Jason is actually an official member of the band (as of Uno).

• gerardsangel4977, skindogfuss, DrunkFunk and 19 others like this

musso_kn

musso_kn
  • Just alright

• 3,935 posts
  • Joined Oct 28, 2012
  • 2,599 rep

There was also a guy called Raj Punjabi I believe...

• thatdude03, Todd, Nishant1039 and 1 other like this

JellyTime

JellyTime
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  • Joined Oct 24, 2011
  • 692 rep
John didn't really "Disappear". He left the band to go to college. Billie and Mike eventually replaced him with Tre. And, from what I've seen/heard, it doesn't seem that he has talked to the band in a long, long time.

Sean Hughes did play with the original incarnation of Sweet Children, when they were still practicing at Billie's house. One day, he had to leave practice to go to a dentist appointment or something, and while he was gone, Billie had Mike try his hand at the bass, so they could still jam without him. The rest, as they say, is history. And, no, he has never been considered a formal member of the band, since his time ended before they even played their first real gig.

Who was the drummer at that time? John?
Green Day Authority says that Sean was originally the drummer, not bassist. Is it a mistake?

Ham Sascale

Ham Sascale
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts
  • Joined Jun 26, 2012
  • 968 rep
Who was the drummer at that time? Jonh?
Green Day Authority says that Sean was originally the drummer, not bassist. Is it a mistake?

Probably, at that time drummer was Jason Andrew Relva, and according to Larry Livermore there was a drummer between John and Tre, but he was in a band only for 2 weeks

• gerardsangel4977 likes this

joeysturkeyhead

joeysturkeyhead
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Joined Feb 01, 2012
  • 514 rep
I remember hearing an interview with someone, i think it was the guy from Poison Ivy, who said that John told them (Billie and Mike) that they were better than him at playing music and were taking it more seriously than he wanted to, so in a way he didn't want to hold them back.

In "Nobody Likes You" it says that John left for college and expected them to wait for him and play with him on breaks, Billie and Mike didn't want to wait for him so they got Tré to play for them, when Green Day was playing a show (don't remember where, though) and John came and said that he was gonna play, that was the last show they played with him.
  • gerardsangel4977 and X-Kid-X like this

Fuzz

Fuzz
  • Professional Cocksmith

• 38,526 posts
  • Joined May 28, 2004
  • 15,748 rep
Theres an interview with Billie Joe done by Larry Livermore (it's on his site) where Billie mentions that John never actually told them he was leaving the band. So when they picked Tre to replace him they returned the favor and never told him.

From what I understand, John wouldn't have liked to see Green Day on the path they took, so I really doubt he's bitter at their success.

I do wonder if he's continued to make money off the first album.
  • gerardsangel4977, Dark Lord Plagueis, joeysturkeyhead and 1 other like this

Misterglasshalfempty

Misterglasshalfempty
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Joined May 24, 2009
  • 88 rep

This documentary has some great factoids, and a must-see for every fan. But in this particular clip, from around 3:50, you can see Sean telling about the early days. 

• gerardsangel4977 likes this

farley drexel hatcher

farley drexel hatcher
  • Best Thing In Town

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,104 posts
  • Joined May 05, 2005
  • 1,643 rep
Theres an interview with Billie Joe done by Larry Livermore (it's on his site) where Billie mentions that John never actually told them he was leaving the band. So when they picked Tre to replace him they returned the favor and never told him.

From what I understand, John wouldn't have liked to see Green Day on the path they took, so I really doubt he's bitter at their success.

Apparently he gets royalty checks but doesn't cash them.

19GreenAngel91

19GreenAngel91
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,084 posts
  • Joined Sep 22, 2012
  • 3,229 rep

I know that Sean is a big friend of Mike and Billie and their families too :happy:  They're still hanging out together nowadays, and Sean's sister is Jennifer....That Jennifer....the girl Billie fell in love with in the early days :)

ugtOo.jpg This is a recent pic of John ( I covered the kid, you can easly find a lot of photos if you googled it)

and about Sean's pic, he has a Facebook account so is easy find pics of him too  :happy:

• sara_gd likes this

Advertising

Jimmy

Jimmy
  • Future Daydream

• 3,418 posts
  • Joined Feb 11, 2007
  • 722 rep

I also know that there was a showdown between Tre and John at one show since they both showed up to play the show.

I've heard this too. Not sure where from though. I don't understand why he wouldn't though.

farley drexel hatcher

farley drexel hatcher
  • Best Thing In Town

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,104 posts
  • Joined May 05, 2005
  • 1,643 rep
I also know that there was a showdown between Tre and John at one show since they both showed up to play the show.

I've heard this too. Not sure where from though. I don't understand why he wouldn't though.

I'm thinking it might have come from an issue of Cometbus ... I can't think where else it would have come from. And I guess a matter of pride or something ...

• sara_gd likes this

joeysturkeyhead

joeysturkeyhead
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Joined Feb 01, 2012
  • 514 rep

That's what I mentioned, Al played that show and that was their last with him.

Heather.

Heather.
  • Peacemaker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts
  • Joined Jul 03, 2011
  • 6,672 rep

I vaguely recall that was a show in Petaluma, and that Tre had been in the band at that point while John was in college, and John came back for break or something, and just took the gig away from Tre, and Billie and Mike kind of let it happen, and Billie felt really bad about doing that because Tre was really their drummer at that point.

DRAMZ!

I think we all heard this from the interview with Larry.  Not sure though :lol:

Akshat

Akshat
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Joined Oct 27, 2012
  • 710 rep
That awkward moment when Jason is actually an official member of the band (as of Uno).

No He's not.Check Green Day's facebook page or greenday.com, there is no mention of him being an official member.He did not even appear in the recent green day videos(just a "cameo" in oh love).Also, there aint no instagram account of him.Just that a magazine quoted billie saying jasoon is an official member and that guy took it seriousy

WhiteTim

WhiteTim
  • Dearly Beloved

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,089 posts
  • Joined May 16, 2010
  • 1,129 rep

POPULAR

No He's not.Check Green Day's facebook page or greenday.com, there is no mention of him being an official member.He did not even appear in the recent green day videos(just a "cameo" in oh love).Also, there aint no instagram account of him.Just that a magazine quoted billie saying jasoon is an official member and that guy took it seriousy

he is an official member... there's SEVERAL magazines of Billie saying this...

plus he was added to GD's contract labels do NOT add just anyone to contracts

he does have an instagram account jason_cuatroxx

you should get your facts straight before saying stuff wrong

• gerardsangel4977, Tabeeb, tresrocknrollgf and 3 others like this

The Forgotten

The Forgotten
  • Betty White's boytoy

• 3,300 posts
  • Joined May 18, 2012
  • 1,578 rep

POPULAR

I wonder if John knows there's a community of people wondering about him and his existence  :mellow:

• TheNimrod51, Dark Lord Plagueis, Tabeeb and 4 others like this

gerardsangel4977

gerardsangel4977
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts
  • Joined Nov 19, 2007
  • 550 rep

Jason White *is* an official member. Or junior member, however you want to see it, lol. But he is a part of the band now. :)

But Wikipedia is contributed to by people all over the globe, not just one dude. And, yeah, generally-speaking, not always the most accurate info source.

I remember someone asking Billie this once. He said he didn't think Green Day would've made i as big as they did without Tre. John, supposedly, didn't care about being famous and didn't want to be. Punx 4 Lyf and all that. So I'm not sure how he feels.

Fuzz

Fuzz
  • Professional Cocksmith

• 38,526 posts
  • Joined May 28, 2004
  • 15,748 rep

POPULAR

I guess I'll do the noble thing and ask him to send them over to me so he doesn't have to worry about selling out.

• gerardsangel4977, sara_gd, skindogfuss and 7 others like this

gerardsangel4977

gerardsangel4977
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts
  • Joined Nov 19, 2007
  • 550 rep
I'm thinking it might have come from an issue of Cometbus ... I can't think where else it would have come from. And I guess a matter of pride or something ...

Yes. Cometbus #54 is where Aaron mentions Al/John not cashing his royalty checks. 

I vaguely recall that was a show in Petaluma, and that Tre had been in the band at that point while John was in college, and John came back for break or something, and just took the gig away from Tre, and Billie and Mike kind of let it happen, and Billie felt really bad about doing that because Tre was really their drummer at that point.

DRAMZ!

I think we all heard this from the interview with Larry.  Not sure though :lol:

Yeah, Billie mentioned all that in Larry's interview. Don't know if he said it anywhere else as well. And considering that interview was in 2001/2002, you could tell there were still a lot of unresolved tensions there. DRAMZ indeed lol

Heather.

Heather.
  • Peacemaker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts
  • Joined Jul 03, 2011
  • 6,672 rep

POPULAR

Even if he did cash those checks, I can't picture him getting rich off of 1039.  When it comes to big record companies, if you sell 1 million albums and it grosses $15 million dollars, the artist might get like .25 cents for every album sold.  I have no idea what Green Day's deal is, but there's no way John has gotten more than like $100K out of Green Day.  Which is no small piece of dough, mind you, but it's not exactly going to set him up for life, especially living in pricey (Northern) California.  

It's kinda fucked up actually how little artists make off of selling their own albums.  I remember some Green Day documentary (one of those Pogo Paradise ones) where someone said to them "You're gonna need to sell ten times as many albums with Warner to make half as much as you're making on Lookout the way major labels are so fucked up. If you're gonna sell a million albums, stay on an indie, you'll make a lot more money... if you're gonna sell 10 million albums, go to Warner."  Green Day was lucky in that they *have* twice sold 10 million copies of one album, but it takes a looooot for them to get filthy rich off of sales.  Touring is probably only slightly better.  The real dough, unfortunately, would probably come from REAL "selling out" (i.e. butter commercials), which they really haven't done.  They've let Green Day be marketed in various, mainstream ways, but they haven't exactly sold their bodies.  I wonder if they got a nice check for that John Varvatos fashion commercial :lol:  I think they deserve more of the money they're generating from their music, but I obviously don't feel sorry for them.  It's just that movie stars get paid soooo much and I think musicians work much harder and do more good for society.

</ Digress

• gerardsangel4977, No Rhyme Or Reason, November's Storms and 3 others like this

velvetgrass

velvetgrass
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts
  • Joined Oct 16, 2008
  • 242 rep
he is an official member... there's SEVERAL magazines of Billie saying this...

plus he was added to GD's contract labels do NOT add just anyone to contracts

he does have an instagram account jason_cuatroxx

you should get your facts straight before saying stuff wrong

I love Jason in the band, but it's debatable. Yes all your points are valid, but tell me why isn't he in most of the official GD promotional photos? Like on Ticketmaster or the photo used for the news about the tour announcement on Loudwire. He's an official member when they want him to be and an hired extra personnel member when they want him to be. Jason deserves to be an official member.

• Dark Lord Plagueis and Akshat like this

WhiteTim

WhiteTim
  • Dearly Beloved

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,089 posts
  • Joined May 16, 2010
  • 1,129 rep
I love Jason in the band, but it's debatable. Yes all your points are valid, but tell me why isn't he in most of the official GD promotional photos? Like on Ticketmaster or the photo used for the news about the tour announcement on Loudwire. He's an official member when they want him to be and an hired extra personnel member when they want him to be. Jason deserves to be an official member.

Maybe he doesn't like the publicity? he has the same instagram account as billie mike and tre but only used it 3 times

he's in the videos he is listed with the group on the albums (if he wasnt official he'd been listed as "additional musician" section) even Billie has said it multiple times but I guess the founder of the band has no say so....

Fuzz

Fuzz
  • Professional Cocksmith

• 38,526 posts
  • Joined May 28, 2004
  • 15,748 rep

POPULAR

Here's a whole topic debating whether or not Jason is actually a fourth member

http://www.greendayc...een-day-member/

• gerardsangel4977, WhiteTim, Dark Lord Plagueis and 2 others like this

gerardsangel4977

gerardsangel4977
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts
  • Joined Nov 19, 2007
  • 550 rep
Even if he did cash those checks, I can't picture him getting rich off of 1039.  When it comes to big record companies, if you sell 1 million albums and it grosses $15 million dollars, the artist might get like .25 cents for every album sold.  I have no idea what Green Day's deal is, but there's no way John has gotten more than like $100K out of Green Day.  Which is no small piece of dough, mind you, but it's not exactly going to set him up for life, especially living in pricey (Northern) California.  

It's kinda fucked up actually how little artists make off of selling their own albums.  I remember some Green Day documentary (one of those Pogo Paradise ones) where someone said to them "You're gonna need to sell ten times as many albums with Warner to make half as much as you're making on Lookout the way major labels are so fucked up. If you're gonna sell a million albums, stay on an indie, you'll make a lot more money... if you're gonna sell 10 million albums, go to Warner."  Green Day was lucky in that they *have* twice sold 10 million copies of one album, but it takes a looooot for them to get filthy rich off of sales.  Touring is probably only slightly better.  The real dough, unfortunately, would probably come from REAL "selling out" (i.e. butter commercials), which they really haven't done.  They've let Green Day be marketed in various, mainstream ways, but they haven't exactly sold their bodies.  I wonder if they got a nice check for that John Varvatos fashion commercial :lol:  I think they deserve more of the money they're generating from their music, but I obviously don't feel sorry for them.  It's just that movie stars get paid soooo much and I think musicians work much harder and do more good for society.

</ Digress

Yeah. The average going rate for most major label contracts is 11-15% for new artists. This number can then be negotiated up over time if the artist proves successful. I would like to imagine Green Day's has been, but I've no idea how much. Conversely, some indie labels have royalty rates of up to 40%. Billie, even, had said at the time that they would've made more money on Lookout (though I'm assuming he's talking percentages because there's no way Dookie could've moved those numbers on an indie.) But, considering what happened to Lookout in the long run, things probably wouldn't have stayed that way. They get further royalties, of course, from all the movies, TV shows, commercials, and so on that their songs have been used in. Plus touring and merch money (and I think we can all agree that Green Day moves a LOT o merch these days ;) ).  But anyway.....according to Aaron Cometbus, Lookout ripped Green Day off for over $1 million dollars during the whole royalty-fiasco. So, under different circumstances, John could've made decent bank. But, on top of the checks he refused to cash, there were also a lot that he hasn't ever seen. And who knows what the deal is now that those albums are on Reprise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users