Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Listen to Static Noise 94: We give our thoughts on Demolicious.

Photo

[Speculation] A Pop Disaster Tour 2.0

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

FatVince

FatVince
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Joined Dec 22, 2012
  • 118 rep
It's almost sad to say it, but I liked them more when they were about dick jokes. Now they just sound pretentious.

I agree with you. Even though I like the other stuff, I love the first albums (Chesire Cat, Dude Ranch, Enema and TOYPAJ). I still like them but the original spirit is gone (but I don't think they sound pretentious, they're just better musicians today in my opinion).

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • http://ask.fm/ceadog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,543 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 16,166 rep
 I agree with you. Even though I like the other stuff, I love the first albums (Chesire Cat, Dude Ranch, Enema and TOYPAJ). I still like them but the original spirit is gone (but I don't think they sound pretentious, they're just better musicians today in my opinion).

They sound like they're having a lot more fun on those albums. Their self titled, Neighbourhoods and Dogs Eating Dogs sound a bit forced, and too much A&A/+44 influenced. They really need to get back into their groove. If that means making stupid songs about aliens and fucking dogs, I'm cool with that.

petros

petros
  • In Jizzus we trust

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,226 posts
  • Joined Sep 04, 2009
  • 2,357 rep
blink-182 were more popular at the time but they probably would not have had the success they had had Green Day not brought punk back into the mainstream, which is probably why blink got signed. Green Day had been around longer (and worked their asses off to get where they were), blink had just made it big not long before the tour. Maybe this is just the fangirl in me talking, but Green Day deserved more respect and to be the main band. It's like when GD opened for Bad Religion but then wouldn't let Bad Religion open for them when GD made it big as they seen Bad Religion as one of the bands that paved the way for them and they'd been around longer. I don't know, it just seemed as if GD had been reduced to just a mere supporting act for newer bands they helped established.

Again, probably just me being a petty fangirl but i think GD deserved that main slot. And you may or may not agree on how much respect a band should have just for being around longer.

And again, not trying to diss blink all that much, i still like their (pre-break up) stuff.

Blink have been around more than you think.And you can't really say they don't deserve their success.You don't know how hard they worked to be honest...

The tour was on 2002, Blink got pretty big with Dammit on 1997 and huge with the next releases.

And I love Green Day but the way blink acted on success all the years before their self-titled album made me have a huge respect for them.Then they got like any other band(like green day) who say stuff "yeah we love the fans" "we couldn't be anywhere without them" and stuff...

It's almost sad to say it, but I liked them more when they were about dick jokes. Now they just sound pretentious.

Naaw if they kept being all about dick jokes that would be pretentious and lame.
Not that I didn't like them more back then :lol:

They sound like they're having a lot more fun on those albums. Their self titled, Neighbourhoods and Dogs Eating Dogs sound a bit forced, and too much A&A/+44 influenced. They really need to get back into their groove. If that means making stupid songs about aliens and fucking dogs, I'm cool with that.

Haha self titled sounds like +44 or AvA? :lol:

Those bands didn't even exist back then you n00b :P

Spoiler

GreenDayNimrod.

GreenDayNimrod.
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Joined Feb 01, 2012
  • 514 rep
If Green Day open to Blink, please, don't show them a one minute sign :lol:

Seriously, Green Day is A LOT bigger, they would never open for Blink.

AlissaGoesRAWR

AlissaGoesRAWR
  • Flareon my Wayward Son

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,601 posts
  • Joined May 14, 2012
  • 2,968 rep
He sings it like he just got kicked in the windpipe by a demented kangaroo.

When I went to see them my friend texted me "be sure to let me know if Tom still sounds like someone karate chopped his larynx!" :lol: (He's a blink fan, but that doesn't mean he can't acknowledge the obvious!)

Céadóg

Céadóg

• 15,543 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 16,166 rep
Haha self titled sounds like +44 or AvA? :lol:

Those bands didn't even exist back then you n00b :P

Spoiler

I know they didn't, I'm not that big of a noob :P

But you can't deny that theres elements of both of those bands in Neighbourhoods and Dogs Eating Dogs. And the self titled sounds a lot like it. I'm not mad about the self titled, I like about half the songs on it, the rest are kinda meh.

petros

petros
  • In Jizzus we trust

• 3,226 posts
  • Joined Sep 04, 2009
  • 2,357 rep
I know they didn't, I'm not that big of a noob :P

But you can't deny that theres elements of both of those bands in Neighbourhoods and Dogs Eating Dogs. And the self titled sounds a lot like it. I'm not mad about the self titled, I like about half the songs on it, the rest are kinda meh.

Haha I was sure you knew I was messing with you :lol:

Dogs eating dogs for sure.
But untitled is a masterpiece it can't have elements of shitty AvA :lol: Well except from maybe Asthenia and the intro in Not Now but still...Yeah I suck untitled's little dick ok?I said it :P

Ok sorry back on topic: "Blink are immature and unfunny and Green Day are Gods!"

Dr. Queen Schultz

Dr. Queen Schultz
  • feel the boogie all night long

• 16,252 posts
  • Joined Jul 27, 2008
  • 4,330 rep

If this would happen I'd probably dropped dead down to a clowd of fluffy awesomeness right now.

No really I'd die out of happiness.

Céadóg

Céadóg

• 15,543 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 16,166 rep
Ok sorry back on topic: "Blink are immature and unfunny and Green Day are Gods!"

Yeah man fuck blink

Cob

Cob
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,885 posts
  • Joined Oct 05, 2012
  • 2,525 rep
Agreed. I'd only be ok with this if blink opened for GD. GD opening for blink again would be mortifying.

Anyway, still don't think i'd be that bothered (besides the fact that i'd get to see GD of course). Every report i've heard about blink says that they are shite live. Not trying to rail on lbink that much, i do like them (albeit as a guilty pleasure) but in all fairness, i'll never know why GD were the ones opening last time around.

Because Blink were more successful. GD took advantage as a way to get themselves some new fans. And Mike Dirnt thought it was a good way to get the best Pop Punk bands of the era to stand separate from the rest of the mainstream garbage (I'd like to remind everyone that Blink came from a punk scene, the same cannot be said for any band that followed them). 

Don't really mind Blink, but I'm not sure if I'd like this or not.

Hey hey hey. They are a great live band with an energetic performance. Anyone who says otherwise obviously hasn't seen them.

They would be perfect for opening for Green Day.

They might be good live, but they're song writing at least, in my opinion, is very lacking. They're also one of those modern pop punk bands that is totally Blink obsessed and lacks their own image: A friend of mine saw them live and she told me that they told the same jokes from Blink's live album The Enema Strikes Back! and their whole scene kid look is done by a thousand other bands (I know image isn't important, but it's just plain annoying).Had they come around earlier I would have a higher opinion of them, but at this point, they are everything that's wrong with the genre right now. 

Say what you want about Blink, I'm used to green day fans insulting them, but self titled is a little masterpiece nobody will say a bad word for it :angry  :ninja:

The Untitled album is incredible. I used to absolutely hate that record and now it's probably my favorite Blink record.  I consider it a work of art. Definitely their American Idiot. I just wish it didn't fuck up all the pop punk bands that followed that album. 

velvetgrass

velvetgrass
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Joined Oct 16, 2008
  • 204 rep

I have wanted to see Blink 182 live for a while, I missed them last time they were near me with My Chemical Romance as I had freshman college orientation the next morning =/ 

On their next tour, whenever that may be, I hope to hell they add Adam's Song back into the setlist. One of their most mature, emotionally touching songs. I don't see why they dropped it as long as they did (since 2009).

I'm probably in the minority here, but the 2003 self-titled is my favorite Blink 182 album.

Cob

Cob
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,885 posts
  • Joined Oct 05, 2012
  • 2,525 rep
I have wanted to see Blink 182 live for a while, I missed them last time they were near me with My Chemical Romance as I had freshman college orientation the next morning =/

On their next tour, whenever that may be, I hope to hell they add Adam's Song back into the setlist. One of their most mature, emotionally touching songs. I don't see why they dropped it as long as they did (since 2009).

I'm probably in the minority here, but the 2003 self-titled is my favorite Blink 182 album.

They dropped Adam's Song because of the death of DJ AM. 

And Self-Titled Album is best album. 

petros

petros
  • In Jizzus we trust

• 3,226 posts
  • Joined Sep 04, 2009
  • 2,357 rep

They dropped it and I don't see them getting it back again...
Mark has said it's the hardest song to play live after everything that has happened.Death of DJAM and Jerry Finn...

And no almost every Blink fan considers self-titled as their best album so we're definitely not alone :lol: 

aldyofficial

aldyofficial
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Joined Feb 25, 2010
  • 141 rep

the biggest rock major label band with the biggest rock indie label band

this would be awesome !  :toocool:

Bastard of 1969

Bastard of 1969
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts
  • Joined Dec 18, 2012
  • 652 rep
  • Location:In the Her Great Majesty of Florence's kitchen, making Her dinner.

When i watched "Riding in vans with boys", i realized that Blink 182 was way more shown than Green Day.

Advertising

kaylubd

kaylubd
  • Resident Bellamy Enthusiast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,068 posts
  • Joined Feb 02, 2012
  • 2,379 rep

No way, the self-titled is my favorite Blink album too! I absolutely love it!

Platypus2000

Platypus2000
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Joined Dec 09, 2012
  • 125 rep

The only problem is: Blink-182 suck shitty balls

purplebenny

purplebenny
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Joined Feb 20, 2010
  • 45 rep
 It's your right to say that. But Blink is not about dick jokes anymore. They matured and improved a lot. They're serious in their songs now.

They matured, and got a hell of a lot worse than they were.. the most damn overrated shit to ever walk on this planet!

Blink should be damn opening to ATL not green day! Saw um in Dublin and wanted my money back! Tom sounds like shite now, Travis is stuck so far up himself he basically swallows the drum kit.. and well mark is just.. mark.. he's actually ok :L..

If this ever were to happen again, let it only be for Blinks retirement party, so their fans can see a damn proper band inaction!

Cob

Cob
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,885 posts
  • Joined Oct 05, 2012
  • 2,525 rep

I never realized there were so many Blink-dislikers on GDC. Well, you learn something new everyday. I myself was one about 2 years ago...oh how things change. 

kaylubd

kaylubd
  • Resident Bellamy Enthusiast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,068 posts
  • Joined Feb 02, 2012
  • 2,379 rep
I never realized there were so many Blink-dislikers on GDC. Well, you learn something new everyday. I myself was one about 2 years ago...oh how things change. 

Yeah there is and they always want to pit the two against each other even though Blink has said several times Green Day were a huge influence on them.

Cob

Cob
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,885 posts
  • Joined Oct 05, 2012
  • 2,525 rep
Yeah there is and they always want to pit the two against each other even though Blink has said several times Green Day were a huge influence on them.

I love both bands. Green Day is, in my mind, undoubtedly better and I love them way more but that doesn't make me hate Blink-182 or like them any less. Different strokes for different folks I guess. Although I really dislike it when people say their music is similar, they are two very different bands; the only reason they're compared so often is because they're both huge punk bands. Otherwise...

Panic Attack!

Panic Attack!
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Joined Mar 25, 2010
  • 307 rep
Well the website was conspicuously updated earlier this year...

Blink would be the opening band this time around though, since they only do a 60 minute set and Green Day does an almost 4 hour set. 

Wow, 4 hours, really? Now I feel robbed for only getting 2½ hours at the shows I've been to...

Cob

Cob
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,885 posts
  • Joined Oct 05, 2012
  • 2,525 rep

Wow, 4 hours, really? Now I feel robbed for only getting 2½ hours at the shows I've been to...

Yeah. They've been pushing their sets to the limit. They could play all night if they wanted to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users