Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Dubstep - Real music?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

xXRustyJamesXx

xXRustyJamesXx
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Joined Dec 23, 2012
  • 112 rep

Well this is not about a band gut about a new music style that many young people listen to.

This topic is about dubstep.

Do you like Dubstep, do you think it´s real music or do you even listen to it? :happy:

I really hate dubstep in my opinion it should´nt be called 'music' because it´s made with a computer and there is less lyrics & there are absolutely no emotions :)

If you listen to a song by Nirvana, Guns N Roses or the Ramones and compare it with dubstep, there are huge differences! :)

Of course I respect everyones opinion. It´s stupid to agrue about different tastes :)

That´s all I wanted to say with this topic.

What do you think? :D

Edited by Matt., 28 December 2012 - 09:12 AM.
Please use the standard 12pt font

Sarcasm

Sarcasm
  • Panty Purée/Savior of Lives/Arse Doctor

• 16,003 posts
  • Joined Mar 18, 2009
  • 10,025 rep
Sometimes there are notes. Good enough.

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,502 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 19,833 rep

POPULAR

I think it sounds like a Transformer fucking a fire truck, but hey, if that's what the kids are listening to today, let 'em.

That said, it's hard to take it seriously when Skrillex plays a concert and all he does is plug his laptop in :P

• Of Rage and Love, LazyPhil, Tabeeb and 3 others like this

joeysturkeyhead

joeysturkeyhead
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Joined Feb 01, 2012
  • 514 rep
NO.

I ain't coming with the whole argument about why it ain't real music. Just look above.

Sarcasm

Sarcasm

• 16,003 posts
  • Joined Mar 18, 2009
  • 10,025 rep
I think it sounds like a Transformer fucking a fire truck, but hey, if that's what the kids are listening to today, let 'em.

That said, it's hard to take it seriously when Skrillex plays a concert and all he does is plug his laptop in :P
I bet you could do better.

BadBrain

BadBrain
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Joined Oct 16, 2012
  • 11 rep

Of course it's music. I don't care for EDM very much but I respect it. It takes just as much skill to make as any other genre

johndorkian

johndorkian
  • fighter of the nightman

• 15,985 posts
  • Joined Dec 31, 2006
  • 4,071 rep

fuckin love dubstep.

• Marius Pontmercy and pasalacquaian like this

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 17,502 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 19,833 rep
I bet you could do better.

BRB, going to record throwing a fridge at a duck.

• BringMoreKnives, ChelseaDagger and norwegianidiot like this

InvaderPhantom

InvaderPhantom
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Joined May 14, 2011
  • 414 rep

I dislike dubstep, but it's ignorant to say that dubstep isn't music. Dubstep doesn't do anything for me, but it does give some people an emotional response (otherwise people wouldn't listen to it). I always like it when music makes people happy, and if dubstep makes some people happy then it's music and they should listen to it.

And nobody forces you to listen to it, so why hate? Of course most fans of rock music (who dominate this forum) dislike electronic music because you don't create it with guitars and concerts are basically people pressing Play on their Macbooks. So what? Creating electronic music also takes skill and as long as it gives you an emotional response, it is music to me.

• Velocity, ConfirmPassword and KarlyLovesGD like this

A song for the lovers

A song for the lovers
  • shut up, Merlin

• 22,336 posts
  • Joined Jul 11, 2007
  • 5,040 rep
Well this is not about a band gut about a new music style that many young people listen to.

This topic is about dubstep.

Do you like Dubstep, do you think it´s real music or do you even listen to it? :happy:

I really hate dubstep in my opinion it should´nt be called 'music'  !!

What do you think? :D

you can't called it not music just because you hate it... 

to be fair, I only listen to one song so I can't really tell if I hate it or like it... 

Gregorovich

Gregorovich
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • Joined Oct 20, 2012
  • 481 rep

Just no.

xXRustyJamesXx

xXRustyJamesXx
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Joined Dec 23, 2012
  • 112 rep
you can't called it not music just because you hate it... 

to be fair, I only listen to one song so I can't really tell if I hate it or like it... 

I didn´t  call it not music just because I hate it :P

I just think that it should´nt be called music because it´s made with a computer and there is less lyrics & there are absolutely no emotions :)

If you listen to a song by Nirvana, Guns N Roses or the Ramones and compare it with dubstep, there are huge differences! :)

Of corse I respect everyones opinion. It´s stupid to agrue about different tastes :)

That´s all I wanted to say with this topic. :ermm: :happy:

I dislike dubstep, but it's ignorant to say that dubstep isn't music. Dubstep doesn't do anything for me, but it does give some people an emotional response (otherwise people wouldn't listen to it). I always like it when music makes people happy, and if dubstep makes some people happy then it's music and they should listen to it.

And nobody forces you to listen to it, so why hate? Of course most fans of rock music (who dominate this forum) dislike electronic music because you don't create it with guitars and concerts are basically people pressing Play on their Macbooks. So what? Creating electronic music also takes skill and as long as it gives you an emotional response, it is music to me.

I just think that it should´nt be called music because it´s made with a computer and there is less lyrics & there are absolutely no emotions :)

Of course I respect everyones opinion. It´s stupid to agrue about different tastes

InvaderPhantom

InvaderPhantom
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Joined May 14, 2011
  • 414 rep

Of course I respect everyones opinion. It´s stupid to agrue about different tastes

...Are you fucking kidding me? It is not music because there are no lyrics and because it's made with a computer? I don't even know where to begin...

There is plenty of music with no lyrics. In fact, a shitload of music has no lyrics because sometimes it doesn't need them.

And it's made with a computer, so what? Music is still music

Sorry but you have no idea what music is all about. It's about the emotional response you get from it. And it's hilarious that you say that you respect everyone's opinion even though you boldly stated "dubstep has absolutely no emotions". And with hilarious I mean you're an asshole.

Don't like it? Don't listen to it. I don't listen to dubstep but I still understand why people listen to it because it gives them an emotional response. Some people just don't like rock music, some like electronic music with no lyrics. Deal with it.

And a lot of electronic music is way more complex than Ramones songs which are literally made with three chords.

• Velocity likes this

Cat C

Cat C
  • Criminal of Thought

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,980 posts
  • Joined Oct 11, 2010
  • 4,101 rep
Love dubstep. I agree, the thread will probably be dominated by rock fans who snub the genre for reasons like "all you do is press play", but to say that is kind of ignorant. There are layers to the sound; it is a much more intricate construction than a few power chords, a simple baseline and a simple drumbeat. The talent is in the creation of the music.

When you see a band live you are predominantly watching a performance, but to see a dubstep artist live its like going to a club to dance. You might say why not just go to a club, but if so, why not just go see any band live? It's always better to listen to your favourite.

Of course I prefer rock & pop music overall, but I can't deny my love for dubstep. :D

EDIT: There are points to every genre. You're not gonna listen to dubstep on an emotional walk or whatever, or to chill out. :P I suppose there's stuff there, but it's not really made for that. People use the fact that it lacks in these emotions as an excuse to condemn it, but other genres also have their shortcomings. It's not just this really useless, emotionless style otherwise it wouldn't exist. :P
  • InvaderPhantom likes this

LazyPhil

LazyPhil
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • Joined Sep 18, 2010
  • 508 rep

I wish I were talented enough to press the play button.

Advertising

Dirntbag

Dirntbag
  • Unsuspicious Individual

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts
  • Joined Jan 15, 2012
  • 2,868 rep

I dislike dubstep. I've listened to my fair share of songs though, because every other person in my class obsesses over it the way I do with Green Day. I don't like it because it does not use what I consider to be real instruments and the vocals are minimal. For me music is about expression through lyrics and actual instruments, not through computer generated noises. I can't appreciate music for it's construction as you have to do with dubstep. I appreciate music for it's artistic worth in my eyes.

Cat C

Cat C
  • Criminal of Thought

• 4,980 posts
  • Joined Oct 11, 2010
  • 4,101 rep

The laptop doesn't actually make the music for them, y'know. :lol: It is used as an instrument, the same way as a guitar, drums etc. It makes the tracks but you have to be talented enough to know how it works.
  • Marius Pontmercy likes this

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 17,502 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 19,833 rep

Just to clarify what I said above, I really am indifferent to dubstep. I don't like it or hate. I mock it, but no more than any other genre of music.

And it is music. It has melodies and all that jazz. And the whole emotional response. It's as much music as Justin Bieber or Metallica.

• Radio Victim likes this

Sarcasm

Sarcasm

• 16,003 posts
  • Joined Mar 18, 2009
  • 10,025 rep
What a lot of you seem to forget is that the music that comes out of a computer is made by the person clicking play.
  • GreenRanger likes this

Cat C

Cat C
  • Criminal of Thought

• 4,980 posts
  • Joined Oct 11, 2010
  • 4,101 rep
What a lot of you seem to forget is that the music that comes out of a computer is made by the person clicking play.

Exactly, to think it just happens is like picking up a guitar and expecting to play Sweet Child O Mine. :lol:

Sarcasm

Sarcasm

• 16,003 posts
  • Joined Mar 18, 2009
  • 10,025 rep
Exactly, to think it just happens is like picking up a guitar and expecting to play Sweet Child O Mine. :lol:
I just saw your post, great minds think alike, Ninja'd etc.
Maybe Skrillex is like the Hendrix of Macs.
  • Cat C likes this

xXRustyJamesXx

xXRustyJamesXx
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Joined Dec 23, 2012
  • 112 rep

You´re right of course the music is made by the artist.

But I think it would be boring if you are at a dubstep concert  and you just see  ( for example ) Skrillex pressing play.

:P

InvaderPhantom

InvaderPhantom
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Joined May 14, 2011
  • 414 rep

qYYm8.jpg

congratulations

xXRustyJamesXx

xXRustyJamesXx
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Joined Dec 23, 2012
  • 112 rep
http://i.imgur.com/qYYm8.jpg...

congratulations

musst du eigentlich jeden runter machen?

Do you really have to rubbish everyone?

Edited by xXRustyJamesXx, 28 December 2012 - 08:14 AM.

Pieces of Truth

Pieces of Truth
  • I am a mountain, I am the sea

• 4,072 posts
  • Joined Aug 04, 2012
  • 2,030 rep
musst du eigentlich jeden runter machen?

u haz to speek ze englisch, thx.

And not a fan of dubstep, it annoys  the crap outta me tbh. It's not even the fact that no real instruments are used to create it - I  really couldn't care less as long as something sounds good and pleasant to me what it doesn't. 

xXRustyJamesXx

xXRustyJamesXx
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Joined Dec 23, 2012
  • 112 rep
u haz to speek ze englisch, thx.

okay :)

I´ll fix it

A song for the lovers

A song for the lovers
  • shut up, Merlin

• 22,336 posts
  • Joined Jul 11, 2007
  • 5,040 rep
I didn´t  call it not music just because I hate it :P

Of corse I respect everyones opinion. It´s stupid to agrue about different tastes :)

That´s all I wanted to say with this topic. :ermm: :happy:

look, I listen to everything, from Rock to Techno so I don't think it's right what you are saying, just because they don't use guitar it doesn't mean it's not music. 

Platypus2000

Platypus2000
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Joined Dec 09, 2012
  • 126 rep

No, Dubstep is people pressing buttons in order to make a sound that slightly resembles a transformer being blended with an emotionally scarred kitten while being flushed down the toilet.

In short, it's stupid.

Yes, I used a Tré quote :D 

• joeysturkeyhead and xXRustyJamesXx like this

Black Dynamite

Black Dynamite
  • STOP WHEN THE RED LIGHT flashES

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,230 posts
  • Joined Apr 06, 2011
  • 3,316 rep

Love me some dubstep, find it hilarious to listen to. Can't help but laugh when the massive drops happen out of nowhere followed by a barrage of wobwobwobs. 

Not something i'd actively listen to though, i'd probably lose my mind if I did that.

• GreenRanger and Céadóg like this

GreenRanger

GreenRanger
  • Probably Someone Else

• 4,050 posts
  • Joined Jun 23, 2010
  • 1,558 rep

POPULAR

To everyone saying it's not music because it's made on a computer, I asketh thee...be this music? 

Because it sure doesn't sound like any instrument I've ever heard of, and to the average person it doesn't do a whole lot for emotional response (not true for fans of the series).  And yes, watching it live would be boring unless it's 2012 and we have the Hyrule symphony orchestra flyring around with lasers.  And it is, but people still listen to 8-bit stuff.  So yeah, dubstep is still music despite being made on a computer.  I'll admit, I enjoy me a good dubstep whenever one may happen to come up.

And because it pisses the last generation off so much, that makes it the new rock n roll.  See, the thing that's easy to overlook about all popular music is danceability.  Whatever is the easiest and funnest to dance to is usually the most popular music of the day.  Rock n Roll was that once, and older people hated it.  Disco was that once, and the older generation hated it.  Rap/R&B/Hip Hop (pretty much all one genre) is this for the modern age, and look at us and our parents calling it stupid...and yet the kids are dancing.  Dubstep might just be THAT genre for the 10s, so if you hate it, I'm sorry to say that what ever genre comes along NEXT is going to be even worse.  So fire up your imaginations, because next time "a light bulb eating R2D2" won't be a powerful enough image.

• Velocity, Marius Pontmercy, kate_ochoxx and 3 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users