Johnny Rotten of Sex Pistols takes a Dig at GD

Akshat

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not even making that line up :P

Yup, thought i was a Rotten line, sounds like him :D (i'm assuming it was Rotten).

Now that you say it, it's very possible they wrote "The Grouch" about him :mellow:

If so, then that would've been awesome :P

Yup, thought i was a Rotten line, sounds like him :D (i'm assuming it was Rotten).

I'm pretty sure it was, I read it in an article, and I can't remember who it was attributed to. He does have a distinct way with worlds...

And my grandad was amazing on the spoons

Hey, it's Cavan! :blink::woot:

I'm going to miss the Fleadh around here. Also, is that guy playing a shovel at 1:17?

That's a bit too much saying "They deserve 0% of the praise they have achieved and are about as musically talented as your average X-Factor contestant."

They made the album which made punk music start in the UK.

That's like saying the caveman who discovered fire is as intellectually gifted as every scientist and engineer now taking advantage of it.

My point is, sometimes the early inventers are given too much credit for what others later build upon the original concept.

Same old Lydon. He's become a bitter, old fart who desperately wants to stay in the focus of the media. Your time is over, Lydon, deal with it.

If so, then that would've been awesome :P

Nope I checked, it's about Billie being worried of getting older, after he was fighting with 80

What else is new? :P

If it makes you feel better, Billie's gotten in his share of return jabs as well over the years. I doubt he's very much fussed over this.

Don't even worry about that.

That's all he's been doing for the last 30 years...talking shit about other bands that are more succesful than his was.

He's been dissing Green Day since '94...so...that's old news.

I love the Sex Pistols...but Johnny is just ridiculous.

He's a bitter old man who doens't like the establishment and, at the same time, sells butter for a living instead of making music.

He claims to have started punk rock...but he forgets the Ramones were there doing it way before his band started and long after his band ended.

The only reason they still interview him is because of statements like that one...that will sell magazines...cause good music he hasn't made in a long time...I mean...PIL is back...but for me they always sucked.

Green Day is 100x better than the Sex Pistols ever were...and I'm saying this as a fan of both bands.

Ramones, NY Dolls, MC5 and other early US bands may have invented the musical style but it was the Pistols who created the attitude.

"Q: It's been 20 years since the last PiL album. Why did it take you so long?

A: "Not my choice. The record company and contract obligations kept me in a state of non-recoupment and I had to outwait them. It was a very difficult time for me, almost like a state of mental starvation. You're gagging at the bit to work, and music's my life. But I found that the law worked against me, all the corporations and accountants. So I had a very negative view of business-as-usual." "

Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/05/25/entertainment-us-johnlydon-idUSBRE84O0EI20120525

So he had to do the commercial to get the funding to be able to make money from music again.

Nope I checked, it's about Billie being worried of getting older, after he was fighting with 80
Oh, okay :)

Not saying this because they've been dissing Green Day, but The Sex Pistols are a god-awful band. They deserve 0% of the praise they have achieved and are about as musically talented as your average X-Factor contestant.

Musical talent has nothing to do with the validity of an argument. In terms of cultural significance the Pistols are one of the best.

Everyone on here seems to dismiss Lydon just because of a butter commercial, which he did to have enough money to reform Public Image Ltd because McLaren stole all the Pistols' money. You don't like him because he goes against what you believe. I agree his constant hate of GD is annoying however I find his opinions very interesting.

I wouldn't take this too seriously. It's Johnny Rotten, for God's sake. A lot of old punk rock bands loathe the "new generation." Johnny Rotten hates everyone. The Sex Pistols were rude and obnoxious; it came with the scene. The Sex Pistols hated every other punk rock band of their time, they're bound to hate every punk band/pop-punk of this time too.

Sigh, what else is new? This dude has put down Green Day several times. I think he's pissed because he was seen a punk rock legend and now he's just a sad old man who can't get back in the spot light.

Sigh, what else is new? This dude has put down Green Day several times. I think he's pissed because he was seen a punk rock legend and now he's just a sad old man who can't get back in the spot light.

I'd consider him still in the spotlight. Anyone who knows anything about punk rock knows his name. He's obviously still being interviewed. He's still a legend and he's still very relevant, even though he's not the nicest of guys.

I'd consider him still in the spotlight. Anyone who knows anything about punk rock knows his name. He's obviously still being interviewed. He's still a legend and he's still very relevant, even though he's not the nicest of guys.

I guess you have a point there. I more meant he can't find his footing in music and he's not in the main stream with a bunch of popular artists today.

Archived