Which Trilogy songs could have worked in the AI musical, and why?

jacknovella

Just had a thought about whether any of the songs from the trilogy would have fit in with the story of the American Idiot musical. For example, I think Drama Queen could have quite easily been from the perspective of Whatsername's father. Just like a lot of songs of DOS could fit in with the St Jimmy character.

What do you guys think?

Mods, feel free to close this if you don't think it's threadworthy, just an idea :)

I like this idea.

I would say Lazy Bones, Wow! That's Loud, anything off of TRÉ, Sweet 16, Oh Love, Loss of Control, Rusty James, Amy. Cause they seem to fit the american idiot vibe.

Maybe: Carpe Diem, Oh Love, Stray Heart, Amy, X-Kid

These all could potentially musically and thematically fit into part of the performance.

Definitely: Lazy Bones, Drama Queen, The Forgotten, Walk Away

These each have a whole idea in themselves which links well into the current themes of the plot, plus they would sound great as cast recordings.

Maybe: Carpe Diem, Oh Love, Stray Heart, Amy, X-Kid

These all could potentially musically and thematically fit into part of the performance.

Definitely: Lazy Bones, Drama Queen, The Forgotten, Walk Away

These each have a whole idea in themselves which links well into the current themes of the plot, plus they would sound great as cast recordings.

I think that also Brutal Love might fit well

99 Revolutions because politics.

I don't think the sound of the trilogy goes along well enough to fit in to the musical though. It's just too different from 21CB and American Idiot.

I feel like you could fit Amy into the musical. Could have made Amy into a character. Imagine if Nightlife had been sung the musical cast.

I feel like you could fit Amy into the musical. Could have made Amy into a character. Imagine if Nightlife had been sung the musical cast.

that would be a disaster! :lol: , although I do like the song

Neither, it's not the same spirit.

I agree that the trilogy as a whole is not the same spirit, but I definitely think some of the songs could fit really nicely into the story. Just like they used some songs from 21CB, and even a couple of B-sides in it too.

Really good topic!

I personally think more of the more "Lyrical" songs would make it..

but this is kind of off the top of my head.

Lazy Bones (the most likely),X-Kid,Brutal Love,Missing You,Oh Love,(Maybe Kill The DJ),The Forgotten,Stay The Night,Fell For You,

Rusty James,Wild One?,And Amy.

I guess it all depends on if the Story of American Idiot will be altered or not,or will it stay the same.

I've been thinking about the trilogy becoming a broadway show. I know it's not really meant for that, but it could work. It's sort of a continuation of Billie Joe's life story - he starts out ready to take over the world and then get's side-tracked by women and booze and other things. Then he wipes out and is redeemed by his own relization that while life can really be bad, there really isn't any other way. but as far as inserting songs into the American Idiot musical, I think Lazy Bones....Stop When the Red Lights Flash.....Fell For You....heck, just about any of them. Amanda is about Whatshername, but I'm not sure where they could put it.

Definitely Oh Love. The JOS could have sang it to Whatsername.

If they had another male character who was in a more intimate and personal relationship with Whatsername (before she hooked up with the JOS), they could have named her Amy and before BOBD, the character could have sang Amy. "Amy don't you go...".

Wild One could be about Whatsername, even though it has underlying themes about a cult, I see it as a sort of serenade as well.

I Would say :Stray Heart and Amy off DOS. Oh Love and maybe Let yourself Go off UNO .And from TRE The Forgotten,X-Kid and Brutal Love :D

Archived