How much Green Day is in "Brutal Love"

Mike Armstrong

I like that the reviewer acts like he has a grudge against them. He probably likes Coldplay.

On a side note, the lyrics I find really BJ-ish. Sounds like the kind of lyrics he writes after a few to many on a thursday, alone in an empty studio. some of it reminds me of Rotting.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
why should he like coldplay? :D
Because they're utter rubbish. My scrotum fits better into the rock category.

Because they're utter rubbish. My scrotum fits better into the rock category.

Because you have testicle stones? :mellow: you should get that checked out.

Because you have testicle stones? :mellow: you should get that checked out.

They're hard as granite.

anyway, if you look at the review, it's negative all the way, hardly anything positive is mentioned. Sam Cook's credit in the Tre booklet is left out, and the kind of go-happy song Drama Queen is describes as a pure bore.

The fact that the reviewer says " "Missing You” is a solid follow-up, carrying a Nimrod-era pop-punk vibe." is the only thing positive about it, and the next thing he or she writes is that the chorus is not worth an award, something I would disagree on. The song itself has really good lyrics, even if the chorus is repetitive.

X-Kid is mentioned once at the end of the review as a song you might want to listen to more than once.

I don't usually take critics seriously, but this one seems like it's out to get them. Hence my Coldplay comment.

From my understanding, they took the other guy's music and put Billie's lyrics over it. I could be wrong though, I haven't really looked into it.

Yes, let's not turn this into another Green Day rip off thread. It's more interesting to talk about the little references scattered around the tracks :)

Did they do the same in Waiting? I've always thought it sounds like Downtown and wasn't sure if it was intentional. He even sings "Downtowwnn!"

Just to circle back to this. I'm sure he mentioned in an interview a long time ago that Waiting was indeed a little nod to Petula Clark, hence the 'Downtown' part you mention, although I can't find it now. The difference from Brutal Love in that instance is that he only really borrowed that particular vocal inflection from the song; the melody and lyrics are all Green Day, so it wasn't worth a writing credit.

A similar example is 'Uptight' from Nimrod. Again, Billie takes the vocal phrasing from Stevie Wonder's Uptight (Everything's Alright), but nothing else is related :)

Isn't it just a typical blusey melody? I have heard several songs that have a similar sound from back in the 60's, 70's. Pretty sure Billie just put different words to a similar melody.

Isn't it just a typical blusey melody? I have heard several songs that have a similar sound from back in the 60's, 70's. Pretty sure Billie just put different words to a similar melody.

It's a similar chord progression, melody, and tempo. More than enough to build a lawsuit around. Whether the credit was always intended to be given to Cooke, or if it was just the execs covering the band's asses, we'll probably never know.

It's a similar chord progression, melody, and tempo. More than enough to build a lawsuit around. Whether the credit was always intended to be given to Cooke, or if it was just the execs covering the band's asses, we'll probably never know.

Yes, you are probably right! Beautiful song though! No matter how it came to be,... I am glad we have it to listen to!

But it all started with Sam Cooke's song...

Just to circle back to this. I'm sure he mentioned in an interview a long time ago that Waiting was indeed a little nod to Petula Clark, hence the 'Downtown' part you mention, although I can't find it now. The difference from Brutal Love in that instance is that he only really borrowed that particular vocal inflection from the song; the melody and lyrics are all Green Day, so it wasn't worth a writing credit.

A similar example is 'Uptight' from Nimrod. Again, Billie takes the vocal phrasing from Stevie Wonder's Uptight (Everything's Alright), but nothing else is related :)

Right. Though Petula Clark isn't credited in the Warning liner notes, I bought a Green Day guitar tabs booklet that listed the song as "Lyrics by Billie Joe, music by Green Day, contains elements of "Downtown" by Petula Clark". I'm not sure why the writers of the booklet decided to include that, but I found it interesting nonetheless.

Eh, I don't think this warrant's its own thread. Any similarities between this song and the other can be covered in the Tre thread.

Archived