How much Green Day is in "Brutal Love"

Mike Armstrong

It was so funny: my dad knew for every Song of tré an old one "oh that sounds like the Stones, Great"

He really loves brutal Love, me too.

But then i found this Video on Youtube www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ9zLcOHoY0

And i read this review http://www.altpress.com/reviews/entry/green_day_tre

"The album opens with Brutal Love, a 60s-esque soul song that is practically a straight knockoff of Sam Cookes Bring It On Home To Me"

So what's the story behind my favourite song of the three albums? :)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they all played on it? And what's so surprising about Billie having diverse musical influences? See this being closed soon...

But i want to know why they cover songs

Because they want to put their own spin on them or they just like playing certain songs...

Well, it's not a cover -cover-, Billie wrote the lyrics.

Maybe they wanted to experiment something with this particular song/music.

Is it a cover?

There isn't a band in modern history that hasn't done a cover. It's how musicians pay tribute to the musicians that influenced them.

And I'd hardly call Brutal Love a cover. More of a tribute. The melody is Sam Cookes'. But Green Day make it their own, like they do with any song they play.

I don't know why when bands try something new people always say they're copying it off someone else. It's Green Day with a 60's style sound BIG DEAL! :P

i dont Know "cookes", is there any connection between him and green day?

I don't know why when bands try something new people always say they're copying it off someone else. It's Green Day with a 60's style sound BIG DEAL! :P
yes, its so coool <3 but there was no sign, so I thought it would be 100% green, music and lyrics

Is it a cover?

No, all writing credits are attributed to Green Day (music and lyrics)

i dont Know "cookes", is there any connection between him and green day?

No, except Billie maybe liking his music. Sam Cooke is from the early 1960s, I don't think he's alive anymore.

No, all writing credits are attributed to Green Day (music and lyrics)

No, except Billie maybe liking his music. Sam Cooke is from the early 1960s, I don't think he's alive anymore.

Sam Cooke is given equal writng credit with Billie on Brutal Love. Check the booklet from Tré.

Sam Cooke is given equal writng credit with Billie on Brutal Love. Check the booklet from Tré.

Really? I stand corrected. So is it a Sam Cooke song that Billie just put new words too?

do you know triggerfinger? i saw them at a festival and i really liked infollow rivers, but it seemed to be their only hit...and then i realized that it was "just" a cover...i complained the whole summer about it :D and then, yesterday... the big shock, green day did the same :o ... okay, they didn't, butni was kinda sad :D dont know why

Where in the booklet exactly? Just see the lyrics and no writing credits at all. It does say someone named Tom Kitt arranged and conducted the song though.

cant find it in my tré book.. i have the special edition

Sounds nothing like the sodding Stones :mellow:
this statement was related to another song of tré dont know what song

Really? I stand corrected. So is it a Sam Cooke song that Billie just put new words too?

They just reuse the melody. Pretty sure the credit is just to avoid copyright claims.

Where in the booklet exactly? Just see the lyrics and no writing credits at all. It does say someone named Tom Kitt arranged and conducted the song though.

cant find it in my tré book.. i have the special edition

Bottom corner, I think. Not sure exactly where, can't remember.. Tom Kitt arranges the strings on Brutal Love and The Forgotten.

Did they do the same in Waiting? I've always thought it sounds like Downtown and wasn't sure if it was intentional. He even sings "Downtowwnn!"

God this is going to turn into another "this Green Day song sounds exactly like this song" debate :P

If it's not credited, it's probably not intentional.

Bottom corner, I think. Not sure exactly where, can't remember.. Tom Kitt arranges the strings on Brutal Love and The Forgotten.

Okay, I see it now. It's in the fine print.

It's kind of like the Offspring's Why Don't You Get A Job being a tribute to Obla Di Obla Da by the Beatles, I guess...

God this is going to turn into another "this Green Day song sounds exactly like this song" debate :P If it's not credited, it's probably not intentional.

That's what I was asking, whether or not it was intentional like this. If I was to simply point out similarities we'd be here all day. :P

As far as I know, Brutal Love is unique in that respect. You'd have to ask Billie though :P

God this is going to turn into another "this Green Day song sounds exactly like this song" debate :P

If it's not credited, it's probably not intentional.

haha, jeah, but this time its clear, i think :D

As far as I know, Brutal Love is unique in that respect. You'd have to ask Billie though :P
that would be the best way :D

The music and melodies have got alot of similarities, but are not exact rip-off's. The lyrics are completely unique though, so it's at most a half-way rip-off. Not enough to put it up against them or justify a negative review. It's such a standalized arrangement too, and the three-piece chord progression is really not that special, neither are the underlaying harmonics or the horns. To Green Day's catalog though... this kind of song is a very unique addition. They can take pride in that.

Archived