US rescheduled tour dates, Ticketmaster cancellation claims, and messages from venues

skindogfuss

Anyone else from Oregon??? I'm waiting in anticipation for news.... just like all of you. I'm DYING to see them live!

I'm right there with you dude.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone else think it's weird that they announced new dates for the tour and what not, yet they haven't been on TV or anything like that? I guess they can't because they have to prepare for the tour.

Does anyone else think it's weird that they announced new dates for the tour and what not, yet they haven't been on TV or anything like that? I guess they can't because they have to prepare for the tour.

As in promoting the tour or what do you mean?

As in promoting the tour or what do you mean?

Well, remember how they were scheduled for Jimmy Kimmel and Ellen and they had to cancel? I thought they would make appearances like that. I guess it would be for the tour at this point.

Well, remember how they were scheduled for Jimmy Kimmel and Ellen and they had to cancel? I thought they would make appearances like that. I guess it would be for the tour at this point.

To answer your previous question, yes and no. I think it would be nice and maybe help prop up the album sales, but I honestly wonder if they're even gonna bother promoting anything at this point (in a perfect world X-Kid would be a massive hit by April or May). Especially since this U.S. tour is so small and restricted. Maybe they'll do the rounds on European shows in preparation for the European dates?

To answer your previous question, yes and no. I think it would be nice and maybe help prop up the album sales, but I honestly wonder if they're even gonna bother promoting anything at this point (in a perfect world X-Kid would be a massive hit by April or May). Especially since this U.S. tour is so small and restricted. Maybe they'll do the rounds on European shows in preparation for the European dates?

Yeah I guess you're right. I can definitely see them doing promo stuff around the time of the European tour. I was hoping they would be back in the open though...to remind the world Green Day is still here lol. And I like seeing them on TV

I think they're going to *need* to get out in front of some friendly popular media even a few days/weeks before the Chicago show. Album sales aside (I'd be surprised if Warner hasn't written off the project at this point), I'm concerned that the band may limit their own future prospects if they don't say something either shortly before or soon after they resume their live performances. There's a lot of questions out there about what happened and why, and going forward I don't think any of us want to see Green Day viewed outside of the core fanbase as "just another crash-and-burn pop train wreck". We know they aren't, but the last thing casual pop culture consumers will remember about them was "wow, don't they have the ape-shit lead singer who smashed his guitar and then checked into rehab"? The band's publicity people need to fix that, and preferably before the tour launches.

I think they're going to *need* to get out in front of some friendly popular media even a few days/weeks before the Chicago show. Album sales aside (I'd be surprised if Warner hasn't written off the project at this point), I'm concerned that the band may limit their own future prospects if they don't say something either shortly before or soon after they resume their live performances. There's a lot of questions out there about what happened and why, and going forward I don't think any of us want to see Green Day viewed outside of the core fanbase as "just another crash-and-burn pop train wreck". We know they aren't, but the last thing casual pop culture consumers will remember about them was "wow, don't they have the ape-shit lead singer who smashed his guitar and then checked into rehab"? The band's publicity people need to fix that, and preferably before the tour launches.

I agree with you. We know for a fact that Green Day IS the best band in the world, but outside of us the average fan might see them, as you said, as a "crash-and-burn pop train wreck." I would hope they do at least one TV appearance before the tour (whether it be Letterman, SNL, or Kimmel) so everyone can know that Green Day hasn't gone anywhere! I also hope X-Kid can do better than the previous singles from the trilogy. I think it has very good potential to be a hit!

I agree with you. We know for a fact that Green Day IS the best band in the world, but outside of us the average fan might see them, as you said, as a "crash-and-burn pop train wreck." I would hope they do at least one TV appearance before the tour (whether it be Letterman, SNL, or Kimmel) so everyone can know that Green Day hasn't gone anywhere! I also hope X-Kid can do better than the previous singles from the trilogy. I think it has very good potential to be a hit!

X-Kid is one of the best radio-friendly songs they've done in years -- from lyrics to structure to music to message, it's got all the makings for a hit. It also applies some good positive spin to Billie's personal situation: "I found myself in something I had trouble handling and I went over the edge, but I've fixed it and I'm back" -- there isn't anything wrong with that explanation as far as I'm concerned, because all of us old enough to understand any of Green Day's music have been there in one way or another. In that way, all of us can find some of ourselves in his struggle....and through that, some of ourselves in the song. It's the same kind of thing that sucked so many of us into Boulevard of Broken Dreams, which was Green Day's last huge radio hit. I really hope this one soars, it deserves to maybe more so than any other song on the trilogy.

I've heard someone suggest Jon Stewart would be a great venue for an extended interview and a three or four song set off the trilogy....that wouldn't be a bad idea at all.

X-Kid is one of the best radio-friendly songs they've done in years -- from lyrics to structure to music to message, it's got all the makings for a hit. It also applies some good positive spin to Billie's personal situation: "I found myself in something I had trouble handling and I went over the edge, but I've fixed it and I'm back" -- there isn't anything wrong with that explanation as far as I'm concerned, because all of us old enough to understand any of Green Day's music have been there in one way or another. In that way, all of us can find some of ourselves in his struggle....and through that, some of ourselves in the song. It's the same kind of thing that sucked so many of us into Boulevard of Broken Dreams, which was Green Day's last huge radio hit. I really hope this one soars, it deserves to maybe more so than any other song on the trilogy.

I've heard someone suggest Jon Stewart would be a great venue for an extended interview and a three or four song set off the trilogy....that wouldn't be a bad idea at all.

Stewart would be pretty cool! I think it would be a very funny and interesting interview. Didn't the band play on the Colbert Report before their first leg of their US tour for 21st Century Breakdown?

Stewart would be pretty cool! I think it would be a very funny and interesting interview. Didn't the band play on the Colbert Report before their first leg of their US tour for 21st Century Breakdown?

Yep. Colbert's a fucking genius but his style of humor clashed/clashes with the band's, maybe with Tre being the lone exception because he can turn literally anything into a joke - even Colbert's deadpan "so serious you can't even tell I'm kidding" sarcasm. Mike and Billie didn't know what to make of him and it seemed really awkward.

Yep. Colbert's a fucking genius but his style of humor clashed/clashes with the band's, maybe with Tre being the lone exception because he can turn literally anything into a joke - even Colbert's deadpan "so serious you can't even tell I'm kidding" sarcasm. Mike and Billie didn't know what to make of him and it seemed really awkward.

Yeah I remember watching the show but for some reason I can only vividly remember their performance and not the interview. Oh well! But yes, seeing Green Day with John Stewart would be hilarious I think!

I didn't think Green Day was awkward with Colbert at all. I thought everyone had a good time and enjoyed each other. I remember loving it too :lol:

YES, ugh, you're exactly right. When I tell people I'm seeing them in March I get the same "Isn't he still in rehab?"/"I thought he left the band" (wtf) reactions.

I didn't think Green Day was awkward with Colbert at all. I thought everyone had a good time and enjoyed each other. I remember loving it too :lol:

Yep, it basically made my life complete.

Haha one of my friends texted me yesterday and said "OMG BILLIE'S IN REHAB THE TOUR IS CANCELLED." I was like, jesus, again??? But, it turns out they were months behind on their Green Day news. Gave me a heart attack though.

omg I'd die! But really, it's exactly true. I mean, it's not like you can make people who don't care about the band care, but I still worry, as Michael pointed out, that there isn't awareness of their imminent return.

omg I'd die! But really, it's exactly true. I mean, it's not like you can make people who don't care about the band care, but I still worry, as Michael pointed out, that there isn't awareness of their imminent return.

Again, from a PR standpoint, it makes no sense to not book at least one sort of TV appearance/interview/magazine interview/SOMETHING about this before the tour, both to let people know they're healthy and relevant again and to build hype for both them and the fans before the tour. You can't tell me starting a few days earlier could affect Billie's rehab that much. And you can't tell me NO ONE wants them, either.

(I know, everyone tell me I'm an insensitive, selfish fan, whatever... don't care. And I'm not. I just want to see them succeed with their comeback, for their sake.)

Yeah I really thought they would be doing more PR stuff now...it's kind of weird that they're not. It was like NEW TOUR DATES!!!!!!!!!!! :runaround:

Then..... nothing.... :mellow:

Yeah I really thought they would be doing more PR stuff now...it's kind of weird that they're not. It was like NEW TOUR DATES!!!!!!!!!!! :runaround:

Then..... nothing.... :mellow:

I know! Not sure what the deal is. Maybe Billie is still recovering. That type of thing does take a long time. :ermm:

It's so weird seeing that there are STILL general admission seats for the Rochester show that I'm going to. On the one hand, maybe it'll be a more intimate concert. On the other hand, I hope that it doesn't bum the band out to see a sparser audience than usual.

It's so weird seeing that there are STILL general admission seats for the Rochester show that I'm going to. On the one hand, maybe it'll be a more intimate concert. On the other hand, I hope that it doesn't bum the band out to see a sparser audience than usual.

Just because there're still tickets left doesn't mean you'll have the feeling of the venue being empty or something like that. I wouldn't worry about that.

Just because there're still tickets left doesn't mean you'll have the feeling of the venue being empty or something like that. I wouldn't worry about that.

I guess it's only on my mind because this venue's Ticketmaster page has like, a color chart indicating how empty or full certain areas of the arena still are as far as how many tickets are left goes, and apparently there are a large number of GA seats still available (more than some of the upper sections).

• 2 weeks later...

OMFG IM GOING TO SEE THEM IN RHODE ISLAND WITH THE GIRL I LIKE HOLY SHIT

Fell for You, Oh Love, See You Tonight, Fuck Time, Makeout Party, 8th Ave. Serenade, etc... Take your pick! :eyebrows:

I have to wonder if this is the calm before the storm. And by storm I'm not even referring to the tour, I do mean media blitz. Not in the ridiculous WTF way that Uno was being promoted, but LEGIT, straight-up, logical promo: talk show performances, rolling stone interviews, etc. Crossing my fingers on that front.

And I would kill to see Green Day on Jon Stewart. I agree with Michael, I love Colbert (and I'm sure Green Day does too), but Billie wasn't very adept at matching his comedic edge... Tre should have fronted that entire interview ("I just hate sandals!" literally saved Billie from being unable to answer half the questions, so many of which came to abrupt, awkward endings, with Colbert waiting for a more fleshed out amusing answer to happen :lol: ). Tre Cool can take on anyone. The band would make more sense as a whole on the Daily Show because Jon Stewart does more "serious" interviews and asks questions with the hopes of getting a legitimate answer... Colbert seeks humor in all his questions.

Fell for You, Oh Love, See You Tonight, Fuck Time, Makeout Party, 8th Ave. Serenade, etc... Take your pick! :eyebrows:

Hahaha I'm gonna pick Fell for You there XD I doubt they'll play it though haha

Archived