How much do your parents know?

Jean

I live with my grandparents. But my whole entire family is sick of me mentioning anything to do with them. They wish I would just move out when I start talking of any band they don't like(Which is anything not country.) I never mention their favorite bands as most all of them are either dead or too old to be relevant nowadays. Well that and since I was forced to listen to country till like 2008 I fucking hate the shit.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both of my parents know pretty much everything about Green Day because I'm not ashamed to tell them about everything. My mom absolutely loves them and fangirls about things with me and she makes jokes about the whole masturbation thing and all. But my dad is a different story. Whenever we listen to my moms iPod on speakers or in the car and they come on he gets offended, and if we're driving an they come in the radio he immediately changes the channel. I think it's hilarious that he can recognize any Green Day song within the first few seconds! And if any conversation pops up about them he starts going on about how they are "communist bastard stoners who hate America". One time he even went as far as saying if he had the chance he would shoot them all in the face. It's kinda sad that the reason he hates them do much is because he saw them in concert with me and he didn't like the way Billie acted on stage. Oh well I don't care what he thinks anyways, it just amuses me.

My mom knows that I love them but hasn't heard any songs...the worst thing is that she knows about Billie Joe's rehab because that was mentioned in the local newspaper and one day she woke me up instantly after she had read it and complained about it. My dad only sometimes makes jokes about their name :lol:

I was watching a Green Day vs Muse Countdown with my Dad the other day. I've never seen him so complimentary. First he said that he wanted to skip all the Muse songs because 'their music is souless but at least Green Day have some passion.'

Hethought Boulevard of Broken Dreams were very prett yballads and showed diversity. Billie Joe reminded him strongly of Joe Strummer during Basket Case in terms of singing and guitar playing style. He kept talking about how good the rhythm guitar was and even went as far to liken Billie to Pete Townshend, of all people. He loved the lyrics and message to minority and American idiot, praising the folk influences in the former and the 'bravery' of the latter in 'stepping up to the plate at a time when no one wanted to mention politics'. I brought up the sellout claims and he rubbished them, saying AI was a risky commercial move.

I couldn't stop smiling.

on the inside I was like

:runaround::dance:

My parents like Green Day. My dad listened to American Idiot (album) all the time when it came out, so he listened to them before me and my sister did. They're both going to a Green Day concert with us this summer. Sometimes they even tell us to put on some Green Day DVD and they don't mind Billie's wierd stuff they're more like omg or they laugh. But of course it's not surprising that they like them because they do have a good taste in music, my mom got a Ramones Greatest Hits CD last christmas. They also think they're funny :D

My parents don't care lol.. it's not something I've ever talked about to do them.

My younger brother knows I am a fan, he use to listen to American Idiot album. He actually bought a Green Day t-shirt about 2 years ago even though he's not even a fan of any of their albums other than American Idiot (he's such a poser)

My older sis knows too.. she's not a fan either only knows WMUWSE and BOBD, the usual from mainstream listeners :pinch:

I was watching a Green Day vs Muse Countdown with my Dad the other day. I've never seen him so complimentary. First he said that he wanted to skip all the Muse songs because 'their music is souless but at least Green Day have some passion.'

Hethought Boulevard of Broken Dreams were very prett yballads and showed diversity. Billie Joe reminded him strongly of Joe Strummer during Basket Case in terms of singing and guitar playing style. He kept talking about how good the rhythm guitar was and even went as far to liken Billie to Pete Townshend, of all people. He loved the lyrics and message to minority and American idiot, praising the folk influences in the former and the 'bravery' of the latter in 'stepping up to the plate at a time when no one wanted to mention politics'. I brought up the sellout claims and he rubbished them, saying AI was a risky commercial move.

I couldn't stop smiling.

on the inside I was like

:runaround::dance:

I watched that with my mom too :D she dosn't know English so she couln't comment on the lyrics but she did like them and every time Muse were on she said "oh god what is that?... ok go back to wash the dishes, you aren't missing anything... I'll call you when it's Green day's turn" :lol:

Sshe keeps laughing at the part in Basket Case where Tré is playing drums and using the pedal though he's on a wheel chair XD

PLUS! she finally learned their name and stopped calling them "green peace" or "green gray" :lol:

well my dad don't care about them...insted my mother love a lots of song =) she know many things about them and about their old music or personal life...

My parents... They know everything... They know that I'm a Green Day fan. :(

But in all seriousness, both of my parents love Green Day, especially the motherly figure.

My parents have always known about my strong love ( erh...um...obsession) with green day. They've never really seemed to have cared, even when I was younger. Hell, I had an entire wall in my room dedicated to them! I remember my mom bought me floor tickets to green day for their american idiot tour without even telling me. best surprise I've ever gotten!!! :D

She didn't go with me to the concert though. I was 15 i think at the time,so my friends and I were allowed to be dropped off. Although, she does know about Billie and his crazy antics, lol. I think she just thinks it's funny.

My dad is another story. He knows I like green day, but not to what extent, or the crazy shit they do. I think it would just get really akward if he did.

As far as friends are concerned, when I was in high school, they all loved green day just as much as me. Only difference is, they grew out of it, and I didn't. They don't care really, but sometimes they're like..."do you really still like green day?"...and I'm like "ya!! that'll never change!!" haha. So, just out of respect for them, I try not to talk about it, or play it when I'm around them.

Whenever I meet knew people, and the "what kind of music do you like?" question comes up, I always make sure that they are well aware that green day is my favorite band ever. Just so they know what they're getting into...haha.

My mom loves that my ringtone is "Kill the DJ" she always dances when it comes on :D

Also, she always keeps her eye out for GD merch for me. The last thing she bought me was a Green Day phone case! :dance:

I watched that with my mom too :D she dosn't know English so she couln't comment on the lyrics but she did like them and every time Muse were on she said "oh god what is that?... ok go back to wash the dishes, you aren't missing anything... I'll call you when it's Green day's turn" :lol:

Sshe keeps laughing at the part in Basket Case where Tré is playing drums and using the pedal though he's on a wheel chair XD

PLUS! she finally learned their name and stopped calling them "green peace" or "green gray" :lol:

My dad's always known who they are because he's really into music. I remember when I first got into Green Day, he used to say their name really suspiciously, because he didn't like them much. I think over time he's grown to like them, partially because I've brainwashed him and partially because he realised there's more to them than a few power chords.

My dad got me hooked on green day. He always had dookie playing in the car whenever we would go some where almost 8 years ago. But im in high school in NJ now and not alot of people listen or appreciate green day so it kinda sucks when they bag on me for wearing a GD shirt or listening to there music in the car when were going somewhere. Everything they listen to is rap or a little pop punk here and there and its not even like there is a local music for us to talk about. so when it comes to music im kind of disconnected from my friends.

Well, my friends and family don't know much about GD at all. They like to joke about them though. :thumbsdown: They know that I've seen them live, and that Basket Case and American Idiot are their "biggest hits"... :rolleyes: I've tried to educate them but they don't really care, haha.

• 1 month later...

When I was at a Matchbox Twenty concert last week with my parents, my dad asked me what I wanted to attend next. He mentioned Green Day, but I told him he probably wouldn't be up to it (as a challenge of sorts). Lucky me, he took the bait and offered to take me to see American Idiot the Musical! So, yes my parents know I love Green Day, and they're cool about it. By the way, I also got a pick from Kyle Cook!

Guest Just Another Joe

My Mom loves Green Day. She took me to see them live in 2010 and said "I love their sense of humor" and I played Dookie in the car once "I know these songs! I love this." My mom's a cool lady!

My whole family and friends are completely aware I'm absolutely obsessed. I blab on about pretty much anything about them and have been doing that for a while but I"m sure everything I say just goes in one ear and out the other. My parents just try to get into the music, they dont know much else. They are pretty cool about it and never stopped me from being obsessed. My dad actually just asked me to teach him Boulevard of Broken Dreams on his old acoustic and my mom always gets little ringtones or lets me know if something was mentioned on TV about them or sends me texts and stuff. It's pretty cool. I don't think she really likes it, it is more that I'm into that she'll be into it haha. But that is pretty awesome for a parent to do that for their kids. She even let me get a tattoo for them when I was 18... but that is about the extent of it. But I think it's awesome

Well, my parents love Rock and roll, my dad doesn´t like so much Green Day, maybe a few songs but that´s it. My mom like a few song and albums but she really like Billie Joe a lot, she´s always saying that he looks so young xD. I remember that i watch BIAB with them the first time that i got it, and i remember that it was kind of weird see "that"scene of Hitchin´a ride, but they don´t remember and i watched when i´m alone. My mom is the only one that knows every news from Green Day cause i talk to her about this. They know about the drugs and that kind of stuff in Green Day, they not afraid to talk about that, cause like i said, they love rock and roll so they already know all that stuff.

They know how crazy i am for them and that i´m in love with Billie. They even give me permission to get my GD tattoo and they always tell me that when Green Day comes to México on tour they´re gonna do everything that can to make sure that i'll be in there. My parents are very cool about rock and roll, that´s why i love it :happy:

Sorry for my bad english :blush:

My dad has most of my Green Day albums... He took me to see them at Milton Keynes [so was there for Bullet in a Bible filming].

He recites "Good Riddance" to my friends, and when i took him to the "American Idiot Musical" for his birthday, he sang along to most of it.

My mum likes them, but wouldn't be bothered or have patience to go look up their antics.

All of my family and friends know about my obsession because I am constantly talking about them. My mom calls them posers but my Dad supports me in my love for them, which is really nice sometimes. My friends honestly couldn't care less, but it's not that big of a deal. I have one friend who I can talk to about them, but she is it. They aren't weird about it, though, and have never tried to move me towards something else. Nobody really understands my fascination with them but I don't give a flying fuck what they think.

My mum and dad both know that I love Green Day, and I posted a picture on Facebook yesterday saying happy birthday to Billie-Joe and my dad simply said "it's your man's birthday", so I felt quite happy that he recognised my crush on Billie-Joe. When I was 9, my mum and dad bought me Bullet In A Bible for Christmas (not the best parenting choice) and I always watched it alone, in case my mum happened to see what was in it. When their album trilogy came out, my dad immediately said yes to letting me download it. I didn't even have to ask to be allowed to go to the concert in June because he knows that i love them and have done since I was 7. My sister knows how much I love them and she is coming with me to the concert in June - she's so excited, even though she only knows a few of their songs, hopefully she'll want to download a few more :D Also my auntie bought me an album of theirs from years ago (Insomniac, which came out the year I was born), because she too knows that I like them. It's my 18th birthday this year, and I've asked for one simple request. You guessed it: Green Day. But I said if not then anything to do with them would be fine :P

Mom knows enough to get Billie's name right. She called Matt Bellamy Bert Bellamy on the other hand :lol:

My mom will listen to it in the car but my stepdad enjoys 21st Century Breakdown and the trilogy, my dad really likes them and wants to see them with me but I'm going on my own and he keeps letting me down with that.

My friends and family know I love Green Day and I tell my friends exciting Green Day news but most of them dont listen to them (only one who I recently turned into a GD fan :cool::thumbsup: ).

My parents tolerate the fact that I am a huge Green Day fan but everytime we get in an argument my mother uses Green Day as a weapon like "you get bad grades cause of them/you have a bad attitude cause of them".My dad just says that its just music and that I shouldnt get into it so much but he doesnt understand its not just the music..

I wish I was surounded with people who like Green Day but in this case I guess Im just a minority.

Both my parents know how crazy I am over Billie Joe and they're okay with that. My mom likes Green Day and my dad tolerates them.

Archived