How much do your parents know?

Jean

Whoo. Everyone here has such cool parents. LOL.

My whole nuclear family: my mom, dad and sister all know i am a fan. M + D never heard any of the music, and my sister only knows their AI stuff, Basketcase and Good Riddance. She knew about the iHeartRadio incident though. She told me as if i already did not know all about it. :lol: And i remember around the time she had started her religious phase i sang Longview one evening in the car in front of her . Expletives and all. Just because i was happy at the time and felt like it, you know. She was furious and started telling me off, saying i think i am really cool just by singing a few profanities. To which i replied, "i don't think, i know." :toocool: She told my mom that i have started listening to really rebellious music just to prove how much i hate god. :D:rolleyes: Though she did bring an underage me and a friend of mine to a GD gig in 2009, and didn't seem to have a problem with it, so... (i think the lyrics of East Jesus Nowhere kind of went over her head though).

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whoo. Everyone here has such cool parents. LOL.

My whole nuclear family: my mom, dad and sister all know i am a fan. M + D never heard any of the music, and my sister only knows their AI stuff, Basketcase and Good Riddance. She knew about the iHeartRadio incident though. She told me as if i already did not know all about it. :lol: And i remember around the time she had started her religious phase i sang Longview one evening in the car in front of her . Expletives and all. Just because i was happy at the time and felt like it, you know. She was furious and started telling me off, saying i think i am really cool just by singing a few profanities. To which i replied, "i don't think, i know." :toocool: She told my mom that i have started listening to really rebellious music just to prove how much i hate god. :D:rolleyes: Though she did bring an underage me and a friend of mine to a GD gig in 2009, and didn't seem to have a problem with it, so... (i think the lyrics of East Jesus Nowhere kind of went over her head though).

oooh Billie sings how he thought he's a loser without a girlfriend, rebellious :lol: (I'm quoting what he said in an interview)

I can imagine how angry she was at the East Jesus Nowhere part :lol: I wonder what she would have said about minority, when he sings "I pledge allegiance to the underworld" XDD

oooh Billie sings how he thought he's a loser without a girlfriend, rebellious :lol: (I'm quoting what he said in an interview)

I can imagine how angry she was at the East Jesus Nowhere part :lol: I wonder what she would have said about minority, when he sings "I pledge allegiance to the underworld" XDD

I looked over at her during EJN. She seemed almost into it. :lol: She wouldn't have heard that song before going there either so she just must have missed the part that basically says screw the whole Jesus thing. Which was kinda the whole song. :lol: And i don't think she has a problem with that line in Minority, she's not that extreme...yet. She enjoyed the gig anyways. She even bought me a tee for my birthday (the gig was the day after i turned 16). :D

Well, my dad knows quite a bit. He was the one who got me started with Green Day, and then educated me about their older history, since I wasn't around then. I can't speak for my mother though...

Never really bothered to show my parents GD since they like other kinds of music but my Mom has said liked a couple of their songs on the radio. My little brother doesn't like Billie's voice because it sounds like he's sick lol.

I looked over at her during EJN. She seemed almost into it. :lol: She wouldn't have heard that song before going there either so she just must have missed the part that basically says screw the whole Jesus thing. Which was kinda the whole song. :lol: And i don't think she has a problem with that line in Minority, she's not that extreme...yet. She enjoyed the gig anyways. She even bought me a tee for my birthday (the gig was the day after i turned 16). :D

oh yay, I'm glad she enjoyed anyway :happy: and you're so lucky that the gig was a day after your birthday!! :P

...and it's nice when friends or family know they can't go wrong with a Green day present :lol:

My mom asked me what happened to Billie Joe today :mellow: and I have to admit that I don't know why but I got scared first, she never (or rarely) talks to me about Green Day, so it surprised me. But then I felt relief. She saw on a news channel that they were talking about his rehab and that he thanked all the fans, and the upcoming tour on March. She said that he looks young on the video compared to the photo (WHAT PHOTO?!? >I asked :P ) the thing is that he looked young when she saw him there, and she loved the music and the video :o (that's one of the greatest things my mom can say to me!) and for what she told me about "fire behind them" I supossed she saw Know Your Enemy :D (and she's not wrong, that video rocks).

Well, after all it was something nice she wanted to tell me about them :happy: The bad part is that she didn't call me to watch it... :mellow::mad::cry:

oh yay, I'm glad she enjoyed anyway :happy: and you're so lucky that the gig was a day after your birthday!! :P

...and it's nice when friends or family know they can't go wrong with a Green day present :lol:

A bit random but i just noticed you actually joined on my birthday. Heh heh. Is this a sign of some sort?

my parents and everyone else knows I love them, and have heard some Green Day because of ma, but few knows I am very damn addicted.

Most of my friends know I've loved Green Day for quiet a long time, my parents, well,they don't like to judge me or my hobbies, kind of cool

My family knows pretty much as much as I do. Both my parents like them, my dad particularly likes their earlier stuff like Dookie, but he also likes AI. My moms likes Warning and AI. But they both don't really care for 21CB or the trilogy. Same for my brother and sister.

I had dinner with my parents tonight (they are in their 60's and I am of unspecifed age) and this was our conversation:

Mom-"Why do you need us to babysit on March 28?"

Me-"I'm going to a concert "

Dad -"Who are you seeing?"

8 year old daughter rolling her eyes- "Green Day..."

Mom- "I saw them on the People's Choice Awards the other night." (They weren't actually ON the show...)

Dad- "I've never heard of them, are they new?"

Me- "No, they've been around since the 90's"

Dad- "Hmm, I've never heard of them."

Mom-"That's who that book was about that I gave you for Christmas right?"

Me- "Yeah."
Dad- "What kind of music is it?"

Me- "Um...rock."

8 year old daughter "Punk!" (rolling eyes)

Both parents look puzzled. Geesh... can I go now? =/

They know Green Day very well.My mother listens all day and all night Green Day because of me and she calls them '' greyder '' which means digger in Turkish.Not because of the meaning , just both of them similar to read :D.

It surprises me how some people feel bad about their parents knowing about Billie pretending to masturbate on stage and stuff. I mean, all of our parents have obviously had sex before, seen other people naked, and they're old enough to understand it's just a show he likes to put on.

I do agree though, when BIAB first came out & my mom sat down next to me while I was watching it one time, I skipped Hitchin' A Ride because it would have been embarassing watching that with her. She probably would've ended up making a remark of some kind, knowing (or at least suspecting, because I always denied it) I had a crush on him and all. :D

Every time they see Green Day on tv or listen their songs, my parents' reactions are always something like "These guys AGAIN??" :P

I would always listen to their music in the car when my mom would drive me to and from school.. that's middle school and high school.. so its no surprise that after 7 years she knows the lyrics to their songs. :P She also went to the Bullet in a Bible premiere w/ me and told me she was so surprised by how unbelievably great they perform live. More recently, I was suppose to go to a Green Day signing last year, and my mother revealed to me that she was planning on going too since because of me, she is also a Green Day fan.

I still haven't let my parents listen to Dos in the car, though, because of Fuck Time :lol:

I played it in the car and my mom though he said Fun Time... :lol:

Well whenever I tell my parents that I'm going to a concert they always assume its Green Day. In fact when I mention a new album they always assume its Green Day. lol

:happy:

Last week my mother told me "You need to realize there is more to life than this Green Day."

She could never figure out how someone in her 40's could be into a punk band. My father is more open minded, especially when he found out that Butch Vig produced 21CB. I think my dad used to work with someone who knew Butch Vig. When AI came out on Broadway, there was a feature on Green Day in Newsweek. My dad read the whole article and tried sharing the interesting parts with my mom, much to her annoyance. My kids sometimes give me a hard time about being addicted to Green Day, but they are big fans themselves. March 28th will be their first Green Day concert.

My mom dislike Green Day, mostly because I listen to them like all the them, Right now I'm actually on a phase where I only listen to Green Day, Tré just hit 100 plays on Itunes, and Uno and Dos already did that. My mom thinks I'm a mental and says ''You have to stop this obsession, it's freaking me out'' and ''there is more things in life then Green Day'' on other classic is ''if you wanna succeed in playing in a band you can't play the same thing as Green Day, you need to do something new'' Well yeah my dad is more like ''I like Mick Jagger, and I also listen to this shit normal teenagers listen to these days, because I refuse to grow up'' Well yeah, Both my parents know more about Green Day then they should, thanks to my ability to talk about them :P

My mom likes Green Day and both my parents know how much I love them and they know everything I've bothered to tell them about the band. I've told them quite a bit, so they know a little about Green Day. My mom has seen them live so she knows what they're like on stage and thinks they're absolutely incredible when they play live. Both my parent also know how much I love Billie Joe and they're completely okay with that and will sometimes even joke about it or tease me. My extended family does that too.

Well, my mum knows about that I love Green Day and when I'm listening to them she's always asking me what the songs are about (because we're Spanish and my mum cannot understand spoken English very well), but one day I have my American Idiot album left in the living room and she started to read the lyrics of 'American Idiot' and when she finished, she just said to me 'I don't like them' and I started to laugh because of the way she said it, but she likes the songs that usually people like such as BOBD, Wake me up when September ends, etc. and she also likes 'Last Night on Earth' because she thinks it sounds like the Beatles. Anyway, she cannot stand old school Green Day like Dookie or Insomniac.

My dad doesn't like them at all, he calls their music (specially old school Green Day) 'that radical rock that you listen' and every time I play Green Day at full blast, he close the door of the room where he is. But one day he did something really funny: he was washing the car and my Insomniac album was in the cd player of the car, so my dad turned it on and he started to pass the songs with such a face of disgust, but then he started to listen to 'Bab's Uvula Who?' and he ended up turning up the volume to the maximun, so the whole neighborhood could listen it and some people who were talking in the garden in front of my house, just stopped talking and stared at my house like wondering 'what is that music?' and I couldn't stop laughing. And apart from that, sometimes I've seen him playing the air guitar while I was listengin to Green Day, so maybe he likes them a bit.

Also, one day I showed them a picture of Billie, Mike and Tré, and my mum says 'They seem to be crazy' and my dad 'They look like the Rolling Stones', but I don't think they look like the Rolling Stones at all haha

My parents like Green Day since I listen to them. Especially my mother, she loves them , she listens the trilogy on the CD player almost every week! My dad sometimes listens their music too, and he says that the trilogy is really good, though his favourite album is 21st Century Breakdown, he loves that album! I don't know what album my mum loves the most, but I can say she was obsessed with American Idiot :lol:

I love Billie Joe and they're completely okay with that and will sometimes even joke about it or tease me.

Same! :lol: my parents tease me sometimes too! OMG, What have I done to deserve that? :P

But what is a little awkward is that my mom loves Billie too, she says that he is very handsome

:mellow:

But what is a little awkward is that my mom loves Billie too, she says that he is very handsome

:mellow:

My dad once said this about Billie: "He's a weird looking guy" and I countered with "No he's not! He's amazing!" and the my mom said (talking to my dad kind of sarcastically) "Did you hear that? He's 'amazing'"

My mom knows a ton of songs, I have no idea whether shes seen interviews or what. But both my mom and dad like them, even after they saw the meltdown, in fact mymom thought it was awesome haha. But I guess they'll figure out that billie likes to hump stuff and show off his ass, because I'm going with them to see Green Day in april.

Archived